"Avatar" Sequel Ideas

Tree of Souls wasn't destroyed. Hometree.

Jake has a son now. But one day the son is tricked by his uncle, and almost gets killed until he's saved by Jake at the last minute. Except Jake dies, and the son believes it was his fault. So he runs away and the uncle claims leadership of the Nav'ri. Cue ten years later when the son returns, now a man, ready to take his rightful place as leader.

Tree of Souls wasn't destroyed. Hometree.

Jake has a son now. But one day the son is tricked by his uncle, and almost gets killed until he's saved by Jake at the last minute. Except Jake dies, and the son believes it was his fault. So he runs away and the uncle claims leadership of the Nav'ri. Cue ten years later when the son returns, now a man, ready to take his rightful place as leader.

Lol Hamlet/Lion King
How would jake have a brother. Neytiri didn't have a brother either

I say if the Na'vi finds a way to go to the other Moons then move the Minerals that the Humans want because Jake should know that they will be back. That way when the Humans come back to Pandora there are no Na'vi & Minerals to be found :hehe: Then Parker can do the classic villian scream

JJJJJJAAAAAAAAAKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEE

Although there isn't anything mentioned in the script , some people here were discussing a rumor of a 2nd humanoid race on Pandora. A race which was going to a pose a thread to the Na'Vi and the humans.

I do like that idea actually. If any of you guys ever saw/read The Time Machine , you'll know what i'm talking about. A gentle race that lives above ground and a more powerful , darker race living underground.
Not saying that the 2nd race should live underground but i do like the idea of the Na'Vi going up against a powerful enemy of Pandora .
Combine that with the civil war idea and i do think there is some interesting story lines.

Also it would be interest to explore the gaseous planet itself. With Pandora established as a living planet , what would the state be of Prometheus. Is it also a living planet ?

Whats funny about that is that I wrote up a FanFic of what i would want Avatar 2 to be about. And it goes kinda what you said about another threat to them on the planet Pandora. Im no writer or James Cameron so be gentle :p

Avatar 2: Awakened story in PDF reading format (fanfic)
Avatar 2: Awakened story posted on James Cameron Online forums (fanfic)

Last edited:
I say if the Na'vi finds a way to go to the other Moons then move the Minerals that the Humans want because Jake should know that they will be back. That way when the Humans come back to Pandora there are no Na'vi & Minerals to be found :hehe: Then Parker can do the classic villian scream

JJJJJJAAAAAAAAAKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEE
what revelation would propel a civilization to move from hunter gatherer society to space travel in a lifetime?

well....with a name like Pandora....I'm sure the planet has many "dark secrets" that are better left "sealed" than unleashed.....just like the story of Pandora's box.

maybe this will have something to do with the humans' quest for unobtanium.....perhaps all that mining and drilling awoke another alien species ( like others have mentioned ) that threatens both humans and Navis.....

I just watched the movie again with another group of friends and I noticed a few new things that people here probably know or don't know that could effect a sequel:

1. Na'vi mentioned a previous time of a 'great sorrow.' They didn't mention what it was, or who or what caused it.

2. Sully mentions that the humans will come in waves and waves after this fight. Maybe this means not only armies, but also other miners, poachers, refugees, religious dissidents, etc? After all, Sully did mention that Earth is dying.

This reminds me of something I've been thinking about over the past week. What is the length of a tour of duty on Pandora? Supposing the six year trip locked the humans into a three year tour, the next ship coming to Pandora would have left half way through Jake's journey and will arrive to find a radically changed playing field to what they were expecting.

The idea of a bunch of people waking up from cryo sleep to find their expected well-paid roles to be overturned could lead to some interesting conflicts.

3. Avatars link Human to Hybrid Alien but theoretically they can also link human to human. This can mean characters can return and relink to other bodies. Not sure what use this can be, but this potential could be seen in the sequel.

Consider this: Immortality.

Word gets back that Jake has been permanently integrated into his Avatar body, then people with power and wealth will suddenly start catching on to the idea of not only being able to fully repair a body, but to grow a younger one and transfer to it permanently if Na'vi co-operation is involved.

How far would someone go for the elixir of youth? I suppose those scientists left behind will be earning their pay checks after all...

4. Unobtanium is apparently superconducting at room temperature, which means its not just RND that would want it, but every Industrial nation on Earth.

And that will also remain a draw card for bring humans back in force.

5. Sully is a Na'vi/Human hybrid, that means he won't be able to have any children with Neytiri. They can't reproduce because the two different intergalactic species have two different numbers of chromosomes. This could lead to some strife in their relationship and also among the Omaticaya tribe.

I'd say this one would be fudged for the sake of a story. They'll probably claim that the Na'vi side of the hybrid is enough to get the job done and if not, then Eywa could tip the balance. It's sci fi after all. The rules will be bent and broken as needed.

Grace's expletive when she learns of Jake and Neytiri's pairing could have been sparked by more than a socio-political consideration too. What happens when human genes enter the Na'vi population? A new "pandora's box" opening could lead to a world of possibilities.

6. Sully called on every nearby nation of Na'vi to assist in the battle, which means that they couldn't have lived too far away from each other. That leaves over 90% of Pandora left to explore for the viewer.

Exactly. Jake probably won't want to lead the tribe. He might like to explore, leading to a world of new story development. He might want to gather a better idea of Pandora's strengths in the years of waiting for the next interstellar ship to arrive. Pandora still has much to offer. :woot:

The only idea I can think of for the humans returning is having them come to Pandora to warn Jake and Neytiri that an asteroid is on collision course with Pandora.

Then, there are a couple of ways they could go with this, it could deal the Na-vi having to be moved to one of the other moons, or they could go the route that this is no normal asteroid, it is a vessel for an alien race, their planet has been destroyed and they are looking for a new home, but they are dangerous, vicious race who intend to take Avater by force and make Pandora more like their home planet.

The Na'vi and humans team up to fight them, but it turns out the 'alien race' were genetically engineered by the humans or something.

The ending didnt really leave much scope for a sequel IMO, and they are the only ideas I can come up with, but i'm sure Cameron has some great ideas floating around in his head.

The only idea I can think of for the humans returning is having them come to Pandora to warn Jake and Neytiri that an asteroid is on collision course with Pandora.

Then, there are a couple of ways they could go with this, it could deal the Na-vi having to be moved to one of the other moons, or they could go the route that this is no normal asteroid, it is a vessel for an alien race, their planet has been destroyed and they are looking for a new home, but they are dangerous, vicious race who intend to take Avater by force and make Pandora more like their home planet.

The Na'vi and humans team up to fight them, but it turns out the 'alien race' were genetically engineered by the humans or something.

The ending didnt really leave much scope for a sequel IMO, and they are the only ideas I can come up with, but i'm sure Cameron has some great ideas floating around in his head.

OMG!!! Pandora 2 will ripoff ARMAGEDDON!!! lol

I do want to see a sequel, though. I'd like to see more "good" humans...especially military/corporate types....to show that not all of them are like the ones in the first movie.

Likewise.....there should be more "bad" aliens....to show not all of Pandora's creatures are good........

I like what super-bats mentioned about there should be some "bad" humanoids, or maybe another tribe like the Na'Vi but bad? Who knows, but im sure whatever James Cameron and his band people will definitely conjure up something epic again.

I'm still puzzling about the aftermath of the first movie.

Some characters were killed off and won't be seen again, but then again I can't help but notice that several ways out have been left in some of the deaths.

Uncertain Status

Dr. Grace Augustine - Human: Deceased
Dr. Grace Augustine - Avatar: Inert, possibly deceased

Norm Spellman - Human: Active
Norm Spellman - Avatar: Wounded, possibly deceased

Tsu'tey: Probably deceased
Trudy Chacon: Presumed killed in action, but unconfirmed

Questions arising

1.) If Grace Augustine is with Eywa and her presence somehow maintained within Pandora's biological network, added to the fact that an un-piloted Avatar survives despite the lack of a human mind to keep it breathing, would that be used to bring her back?

2.) What happened to Norm's Avatar after it was shot in the chest and rendered 'uninhabitable'?

3.) Trudy's tilt rotor got nailed fairly convincingly, but if we never saw her get incinerated along with it, is she really dead? If she isn't, then how did she survive?

I'm still puzzling about the aftermath of the first movie.

Some characters were killed off and won't be seen again, but then again I can't help but notice that several ways out have been left in some of the deaths.

Uncertain Status

Dr. Grace Augustine - Human: Deceased
Dr. Grace Augustine - Avatar: Inert, possibly deceased

Norm Spellman - Human: Active
Norm Spellman - Avatar: Wounded, possibly deceased

Tsu'tey: Probably deceased
Trudy Chacon: Presumed killed in action, but unconfirmed

Questions arising

1.) If Grace Augustine is with Eywa and her presence somehow maintained within Pandora's biological network, added to the fact that an un-piloted Avatar survives despite the lack of a human mind to keep it breathing, would that be used to bring her back?

2.) What happened to Norm's Avatar after it was shot in the chest and rendered 'uninhabitable'?

3.) Trudy's tilt rotor got nailed fairly convincingly, but if we never saw her get incinerated along with it, is she really dead? If she isn't, then how did she survive?

I think in the Avatar storyline Eywa didn't allow Grace to pass through into the Avatar body. Or she was simply to weak, or something of that nature. I think Norms Avatar could no longer sustain life when it was hit, so his consciousness was passed back to his human body so he woke up. Not real sure about Trudy though, it looked like the heli blew up pretty good, who really knows though, maybe she did survive.

Last edited:
but it was open air underneath...and tha's only if she survived the explosive. i thought it was obvious that she didn't. we don't need to be spoonfed everything

Some ideas:

-We get to see the aftermath of the battle, Tsu´tey´s funeral, and a tribute to all dead warriors, Title pops up. "Avatar 2"
-Future Earth, year 2155, The revelation of why the humans need the unobtainium, Earth is on a financial crysis and thats why the RDA needs it (Now im guessing the RDA OWNS the planet, think its just like buy n large with Wall-e), the company gets pissed off with Parker and demand him to go back to Pandora and get the mineral.
-5 years later the humans arrive to Pandora again, this time stronger and bigger, meanwhile the Na´vi live in peace, Mo´at has died, Jake turns into the leader of the Omaticaya and Ney´tiri is the new shaman, in those 5 years a new hometree was grown.
-Humans reactivate the RDA base in Pandora, Parker decides that he will get the mineral even if he has to kill the na´vi,Jake gets a message from the Utopeya village, the Typani clan was attacked by sky people, one of the few survivors, named Beyda´amo,blames Jake for this.

That´s all i have right now.

Some ideas:

-We get to see the aftermath of the battle, Tsu´tey´s funeral, and a tribute to all dead warriors, Title pops up. "Avatar 2"
-Future Earth, year 2155, The revelation of why the humans need the unobtainium, Earth is on a financial crysis and thats why the RDA needs it (Now im guessing the RDA OWNS the planet, think its just like buy n large with Wall-e), the company gets pissed off with Parker and demand him to go back to Pandora and get the mineral.
-5 years later the humans arrive to Pandora again, this time stronger and bigger, meanwhile the Na´vi live in peace, Mo´at has died, Jake turns into the leader of the Omaticaya and Ney´tiri is the new shaman, in those 5 years a new hometree was grown.
-Humans reactivate the RDA base in Pandora, Parker decides that he will get the mineral even if he has to kill the na´vi,Jake gets a message from the Utopeya village, the Typani clan was attacked by sky people, one of the few survivors, named Beyda´amo,blames Jake for this.

That´s all i have right now.

Thats pretty good.

Thats pretty good.

thanks.

part 2:
-Beyda´amo has hated the sky people since they first arrived on Pandora, since everyone knows Jake was a human in another life Beyda´amo blames the attack on him.
-The typani´s clan shaman says she has seen a vision from Eywa, Pandora´s animals dead and the trees on fire, she tells the na´vi that if they want to live in peace with the humans they need to sacrifice Jake to Eywa.
-Jake, about to be sacrificed, is saved by ney´tiri they both run away to the forest and are inmediately labeled as enemies of the na´vi, jake and ney´tiri go look for norm and max to get help from them.
-Beyda´amo and the survivors of the typani clan join the omaticaya and Beyda´amo proclaims himself the new leader of the clan.
-Unknown to Jake, the RDA captured norm and max and forced them to co-operate,Norm is sent to tell the na´vi that if they get in the way of the company they will destroy another village.
-Norm tries to help the na´vi, but Beyda´amo wont listen to Norm and kills him, he decides its time for the na´vi to counter attack.

and thats all for now.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/105/1058223p1.html

THE CORPORATION STRIKES BACK

Avatar concluded with the battered remnants of humanity trudging dejectedly into spaceships, preparing to leave Pandora after the Na'vi (and the forces of nature) kicked their collective asses. Something tells us that the human race will be back however. The planet is still the only source of uber-valuable mineral Unobtonium, and sinister corporation the Resources Development Administration - who were mining the ore first time round - will not take their defeat at the hands of the indigenous aliens lying down.

The franchise is therefore set up for an almighty 'round two' between humans and the Na'vi. We envisage huge spaceships bombarding the surface of Pandora from the skies and then unleashing vast armies of soldiers onto the surface for a massive ground assualt. Perhaps the humans will have upgraded weapons and vehicles, whilst the Na'vi could also find new ways of fighting back. The giant alien bugs firing energy bolts out of their backsides at the Federation spaceships during Starship Troopers spring to mind.

Avatar 2 - as the middle part of the trilogy - could be the Empire Strikes Back of the franchise ('Revenge of the Corporation maybe?'), the episode which ends with the bad guys holding the upper hand. What could be a better set-up for part three than concluding with a full-scale human occupation of Pandora - which would pave the way for an heroic fightback in the finale?

RETURN TO EARTH

Another direction in which Cameron could take the series is by taking the Na'vi off Pandora and bringing them to earth. Our planet is described in the movie as war-torn and polluted, and it would certainly be intriguing to see the director visualise just how much we mess up our planet in the next 200 years. A dirty, dying earth would also make a great contrast to the beautiful Pandora.

How could this be worked into the story? Perhaps either Jake, or even better the oversensitive Neytiri, could be captured by the RDA and sent in shackles back to earth. Maybe this could prompt an extraterrestrial rescue attempt? Whichever way it's worked into the story, the idea of seeing the Na'vi taken out of their comfort zone and forced to adapt to new surroundings is an intriguing one.

SHOCK AND AWE

One of the most thought-provoking aspects of Avatar was the fairly subtle "war on terror" vibe. Some of the dialogue ("shock and awe") nicely paralleled the conflict in the movie with the ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but it was a theme that could certainly be developed in future instalments. This wouldn't have to be done in a preachy, political, 'let's bash the Americans' way, but instead through taking some of the imagery we see every day on the news and adapting it to give the movie a contemporary edge.

If, as discussed above, a pissed-off RDA return in a big way for Avatar 2 and begin occupying Pandora with gazillions of soldiers and tanks, the Na'vi would be forced into the role of insurgents, battling desperately to fight off their technologically superior invaders. Imagine crazy alien versions of roadside bombs, guerrilla war amongst the neon trees (think an extraterrestrial Vietnam) and the Corporation's muddled attempts to win hearts and minds. (The same kind of approach was used brilliantly in series 3 of Battlestar Galactica). Transporting some present day, gritty wartime action into the stunning world of Pandora - provided the tone is as apolitical as possible - would be an awesome direction for the franchise to go.

GO DEEP

Another element that was thought-provoking but undercooked in the film were the scenes that explored just how much of a head-f**k the whole programme was for Jake Sulley. How it felt to switch between the body of paraplegic human and 9ft tall blue alien and when the lines between his dual identities began to blur.
This aspect of the script made the character more than just a marine grunt cliche and could be explored in further movies. How does Jake feel above leaving his human body behind? Does he miss interacting with human kind? Much of the criticism levelled at Avatar was that the story was over-simplistic and that the protagonists were all over-familiar archetypes: exploring this would be an intelligent way to develop the lead character.

DON'T BRING BACK RIPLEY

Cameron actually had the balls to kill off many of the main characters in Avatar, something you don't often see in blockbuster films these days. Sigourney Weaver's Dr Grace, Michelle Rodriguez' Trudy and Wes Studi's Na'vi leader Eytucan (amongst others) all bit the dust at the end of the movie, making for a finale that was both hugely dramatic and had a sense of genuine danger.

When films become franchises however big characters tend to stop being killed off, or worse still, stupidly resurrected so they can return for future instalments - think Sigourney Weaver's Ripley being grown in a test tube for Alien Resurrection. Here's hoping the director has the courage of his convictions to keep making tough narrative decisions to prevent the Avatar saga becoming sanitised, watered-down and devoid of genuine drama for purely marketing reasons.

i like points 1, 3, and 4. and i agree with 5.

i like 4, where he may have flashbacks of earth, or even regret becoming a navi because it's almost like his mind is rejecting it.

1/3 seems like the most likely route they will go, and i like the possible "star wars"-esque pathway.

Wasn't it mentioned that Grace was 'taken into Eywa' or something?

If so, then I'd like her be be a virus in the planetary network she was studying - Have the animals start turning on eachother (have an important Na'vi killed by their banshee or something, too).

After finding this out (somehow), the only way of trying to save the planet/Na'vi is for Jake to return to the base (which is being repopulated) and beg for help from their scientists to 'extract' Grace or cure the planet of her.

Follow this with Jake having to deal with the devil (allowing humans access to mine unobtanium) to save Pandora, the mining unlocks the 'great sorrow' (3rd film). The fact that good, Na'vi-loving Grace can still be a virus shows how 'alien' humans are to the planet, yet Jake has agreed to let them mine there (cue serious arguments within Na'vi tribes about Jake).

Somehow spin the fact that the Toruk was tamed for this, kind of limits the threat to a physical one, where I'd prefer a more creative threat... One that the humans are simply unable to fight, and eventually need the Na'vis' help (not the other way round). End of 2nd film.

Meh.

Point 1. The Corporation Strikes Back, is a fairly reasonable road to take, although I have a niggling feeling that it might be just a little too predictable.

Point 2. Return to Earth, is an idea I pray will never happen. I doubt it will happen to be honest.

Point 3. Shock and Awe, says this author probably needs to stop smoking hallucinogens. The "war on terror vibe" and putting Afganistan and Iraq in the same sentence are laughable comments when the rest of the planet was watching a movie with parallels to settler expansion into new areas, displacing indigenous populations and seizing whatever resources found there.

Point 4. Go Deep, offers a clue that the author might have some brains after all. A prominent theme in Avatar is a commentary on people spending so much time in their virtual, on-line selves. Yes, a sequel may well head down that road again.

Point 5. Don't Bring Back Ripley, is fair comment for any confirmed death, however several of the deaths have either not been confirmed or have had a strong metaphysical component in them. Ironically the pieces of the puzzle to bring back any of them in any form are strongest with Weaver's character. Personally I don't mind if one or two come back, as long as the methods by which they return aren't overly contrived and cheesy.

I really hope you all understand what has happened with this film. It has changed things. It is now more than ever ok to make a absolutely mediocre film. Just make it pretty & in 3-D. You have all killed the Art of true film making congratulations.

You know i was thinking about this last night.
Cameron has said that for the sequel he'd explore the other moons of the gas planet and possibly the gasplanet itself.
How exactly are they going to do that anyway ?

Would that mean that the military/RDA would come back to Pandora and reclaim it. Jake and the Na'Vi tribes would initially fight but would be powerless to do so because of the military strength. Que Jake taking the remaining Na'Vi and leading them to the other moons a la Moses taking his people away ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"