Batman: The Animated Series or Batman: The Brave and the Bold?

Batman may be the worlds greatest detective, but when he's got 50 goons attacking him(independent on his detective skills), it would help to have some back up. Also more men means more information to gather and less time it takes to assemble it. Batman may be a "lone" wolf but he needs to the pack to enhance his skills.

I really dont like this show at all. Its too kiddy and cheesey. I'd actually like to see a more serious batman animated series. Almost something like Gotham Knight

To the uneducated twerp who insulted Robin so horrifically, Robin had just as much trauma as Bruce. Grayson watched his whole family shot down from the trapeze by Tony Zucco, Todd had his father murdered by Two-Face, and died when almost beaten to death with a crowbar by the Joker, then blown up. Drake's parents more recently died, and it seems every girl he dates has some connection with someone out to get him.

I don't like Robin because of his costume, he has bare legs and pixie boots his suit also has the colors of a traffic light. (Red, green and yellow.) I don't like Batgirl because she doesn't have the same trauma that keeps Batman out on the streets every night.

In the first episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold Blue Beetle said "Hello this is Batman he's like the greatest superhero ever!" But if Batman is so great why does he have to have two goofy idiot sidekicks? Why can't Batman work alone? By alone I mean why can't we have a Batman series without Robin and Batgirl.

I know Batman teams up with a member of the Justice League every week in the new cartoon. But that's completely different because Batman needs help when he's taking on supervillians with superpowers...but he doesn't need help when he's taking on a few hoodlums.
Obvious troll is obvious...or stupid.

Anyway, I've lightened up on this show a little bit (I actually kinda like it, now *gasp*)but it is not, and never will be, in the same league as BTAS. No cartoon ever will. The DCAU was a special, special thing that I doubt we'll ever see again, unfortunately.

Batman the animated series is a beautiful faithful and best interpretation of Batman ever along with the new films of course, it was serious and beautifully animated the acting superb with a great cast, B&B is garbage, camp garbage.

Batman the animated series is a beautiful faithful and best interpretation of Batman ever along with the new films of course, it was serious and beautifully animated the acting superb with a great cast, B&B is garbage, camp garbage.

In your opinion. The new movies are not what you say they are. Far from it. The TAS was a phenominal series, but it had its flaws and it did take some liberties, just as all adaptions do. Brave and the Bold is no different. Just because you dont like it doesnt make it garbage. Also, look at the definition of camp please, because this show is not camp. It shows your ignorance.

Camp as slang: "An affected, exaggerated or intentionally tasteless style."

Camp is also self-parody, I won't say this show is that b/c I don't see it, but camp is a very broad term.

B&TB is campy. You don't see it that way, it's ok. But calling other's ignorant for feeling otherwise is ignorant in and of itself.

The series has grown on me a bit, like I said I kinda like it now (mind you I also 'kinda' like Batman Forever and Fantastic 4, so take that as you will lol), but you'll never hear me say it's not campy. Because it most definitely is.

JMHO

I really dont like this show at all. Its too kiddy and cheesey. I'd actually like to see a more serious batman animated series. Almost something like Gotham Knight

Young Kids need Batman too.

This is for them. Adults are given an invite too, if they want and have an open mind.

Try it. The show is simply a half-hour of high-energy fun.

Well first and foremost...Batman did work alone quite a bit in the first three seasons of Batman the Animated Series. Actually probably more solo then anything else. So...were you just not watching?

Yes Robin's older costume is very dated. It's absolutely ridiculous really. I don’t think anyone can deny that. But BTAS attempted to legitimize him in a very real way. He wasn’t some young child but rather a college age young man. He was given the Tim Drake re-vamped suit to fit the darker and more serious tone. He also appeared very seldom in those first three seasons. Yah he’s there, but comparatively speaking Batman’s far more on his own throughout the series.
Just wanted to add a little extra here concerning Robin. Many people believe that he's based upon the bird. In reality, "Robin" was originally derived from "Robin Hood". When Bob Kane and Bill Finger created him it wasn't long after the premiere of the film classic, "The Adventures Of Robin Hood" starring Errol Flynn. This is what helped inspire them to create the character. If you take a close look at the original costume design you'll notice the tunic, the medevil shoes, and various other middle ages attire. In time, he somehow got confused with the bird. That's one of the many things that really annoyed me concerning that awful (*dare I even mention it*) "Batman and Robin" movie, putting a stupid looking bird on his chest instead of the classic "R" emblem. Then again, were're talking Shumacker here..:whatever:

Relating to this post, it really isn't fair comparing the two shows. I, for one, am a "huge" fan of BTAS. For me, the original will always be the definitive Batman. However, I just recently caught a few episodes of The Brave And The Bold off of Youtube. I've gotta say, this show is great in it's own right. It's a great homage to the post Drak Knight Batman of the comics and a helluva lot of fun. Either way, both shows stand alone in their different styles.

Someone said half-hour high-energy fun, and they're right.

This isn't your modern comics' Batman. It's a Silver Age Batman making a return for the sake of the kids. I find it to be really worth watching, in that while being fun and colorful, it's also respectful to the spirits of the characters (from the age in which it's based).

I won't say which is better, B:TAS or B:TBATB, because they are each in their own very distinct and worthy universes. Just like comparing Nicholson to Ledger, it's futile.

I couldn't imagine anything Batman cartoon or any cartoon in general ever topping Batman TAS in terms of artistic achievement and overall quality (music, story-writing, voice-acting, etc). Also, there were 85 episodes (before the remake/new animated, whatever), that were almost all spectacular. I mean, everything episode was worthwhile. If we ever get a show like that again, it will be a miracle, especially considering the current state of american animation.

I couldn't imagine anything Batman cartoon or any cartoon in general ever topping Batman TAS in terms of artistic achievement and overall quality (music, story-writing, voice-acting, etc). Also, there were 85 episodes (before the remake/new animated, whatever), that were almost all spectacular. I mean, everything episode was worthwhile. If we ever get a show like that again, it will be a miracle, especially considering the current state of american animation.
Huh, and I thought I overpraised TAS. Seriously, much as I love it and it pains me to say it: TAS is overrated. I know, I'm sorry, but even though I try to watch atleast one ep a month the show is not nearly as dark or serious as people believe. Nor is every ep as spectacular. I made a case against November Rain earlier that BTAS has more good eps than bad ones. However, the truth is those bad ones are almost always downright abysmal. While some eps I will watch again and again and again, there are some cringe inducing (not the good type) moments in some of them, take for example the fright look on Batman's face when he's on the runaway tram in the Crime Alley ep. And while I agree the voice acting was spectaculkar the backround character voices were so awful they sometimes drag you right out of the episode. Heart of Ice's screaming and gasping backrounders is actually on a loop, it pulls me out of the episode.

One of the greatest things about TAS to me as well was the Dark Deco atmosphere, and while I love it, it was grainy as hell. Add that graininess to the odd animation that was frequent, and while you have a classic series, it's really hard to watch a couple of episodes without some annoyance.

I'm not saying Batman TAS isn't great, because it's flipping classic. But to say no other superhero cartoon will ever touch it? To say no cartoon in general will ever likely top it? I'm sorry, but not only is that bias, but it pretty much means no cartoon will ever reach it for you even if it is better, because you'll be giving it a pedestal so high that even the mighty TAS does not deserve it.

Is this a serious question? Are they seriously asking if the reasons for liking Brave and the Bold over TAS is because of Robin? Someone lunge your face into my palm as you don't deserve a slap by me.

Why cant i love and enjoy both for what they are? A serious adaptation of the character and a less serious, more OUTRAGEOUS take on him based on his earlier history? And in any case, many adults who might find BatB childish should bare in mind that the show's target audience is kids and its aim is obviously to initiate them to the DC characters. It doesnt mean that because its batman and you are a batfan, you have to like it, or it has to be grimdark with images of batman on a gargoyle in the rain. We can only benefit for more versions of batman. Everyone who whines because a show or a comic isnt tailored to their tastes is just arrogant. Batman is grimdark, cheesy, fights street crime but also alien gods, etc. Cry more Jett (of BOF) you pathetic, arrogant child!

Also, times change, maybe kids dont like grimdark cartoons these days, seeing how cutesy japanese cartoons reign over. So maybe Batman can fight back this way!

Finally, everyone who hates BatB obviously hasnt watched the Aquaman or the Blue Beetle episodes.
Platelet we will never forget you! :woot:

Last edited:
alright i just saw a post saying even The Batman is better than brave and the bold. that is complete nonsense. the batman has NOTHING on brave and the bold. it showcases all the awesome stuff from the DCU that hasn't been shown in any forms of media outside comic books.

it freaking had the gotham gaslight batman costume. how can you not appreciate that? not only can kids enjoy it, but comic book fans are given a lot of cool stuff too.

and i can't wait to see robin. the writers have made the characters so awesome; i'm loving this interpretation of aquaman.

brave and the bold haters, just watch all of the episodes...chances are, you only saw a glimpse of it. you need to experience the whole thing. we get to see ted kord as blue beetle, bwana beast with his powers, kung fu fighting batman, it just kicks so much butt.

OK. Let get this straight. I love both Batman The Animated Series and Batman Brave and the Bold. I think that the first is the best incaarnation overall, because it uses many aspects from the mythos,making it universal.

On the other hand Brave and the Bold focuses on an era of Batman, and comes of as a valid interpretation, because even though is fun, its not making fun of the characters or disrespecting them on any level. Its meant to be fun and it is. If you are a truly Batman fan you can understand this. The story and animation are great, and you can tell the people in charge of this are really working to get this well.

If they in some future decided to make an "Milleresque" Batman, I wonder what would the fan reaction would be.

I have to say I like them both. They're both extremely different from each other which is good because new interpretations are always a breathe of fresh air. If I had to choose one over the other I'm more in favor of batman -the animated series. But I love the 60's camp revival too.
:brucebat:

But the thing is where is camp even present? cause BATB is unashamed of itself it knows it's an adventure show and takes pride in that and doesn't try to tell anyone any different. It's not something that is mocking it's own outrageousness like the Adam West TV series (which I do love) always did it embraces the fantasy element of comic book storytelling and this is why I love love love this show.

It's the only show outside of 24 and South Park that I simply can't miss an episode of. People already know not to bother trying to reach me on Friday nights before 9pm because I do nothing until I see the latest episode lol

I am in the camp that loves both but I think I appreciate BatB more simply for that reason, It's the first time in ages we've gotten a comic book show that doesn't try to be anything else but a moving comic book. It's not trying to be drama or movie like though ironically it does have a lot of epically cinematic moments because of it's scale.

I appreciate BTAS because of the emphasis on Batman's world. As far as being the show that properly fleshed out Batman's supporting players with pathos and integrity (Alfred, Gordon, Dick) and giving the main rogues (Joker, Scarecrow, Two-Face) moments that rival their comic book counterparts or even surpass them (Freeze's origin). Though I will say that the BatB versions of both The Joker and Scarcrow were also full of win.

However for those main reasons alone as well as the nostalgia it will always have a place in my heart but as Two-Face = Badass pointed out when you go back to the first 2 seasons there is a lot of crude animation. That in itself dates it and kills the timelessness the designs are brilliant but the actual animation is jerky and unhinged. So in that respect I give the edge to BATB because of it's seamless animation. Though to be fair perhaps I shouldnt even compare because of the progress in animation from the years of early BTAS till now.

I also prefer the type of Batman we got in BatB. BTAS has a more conflicted and flawed Batman which helps with the structure of that show as it deals with a lot of thematic storytelling. He does have his light hearted moments but for the most part he doesn't display the same heroic confidence BatB Batman does there are times when he "loses" and you see the hurt.

BatB Batman on the other hand always seems to be in control of himself there is nothing that could be put past him. The guy is a heroes hero, he comes across as a more seasoned and experienced hero. I also love the fact that he has adventures not just in Gotham but where ever his heroic deeds are needed it reminds me a whole lot of the globe throtting "James Bond" Batman from the O'Neill era of the comics who felt crime had no perimeter restrictions.

When it comes to comic books and animated media I prefer that more I suppose to a more restricted Batman but I could see how some would like him to be more "grounded" and less superherois. This is one of the reasons I'm one of those who has really enjoyed Morrison's recent run though as this is the type of Batman he presents.

In the end though both shows are amongst the best in TV history if you ask me and once we get proper DVD's for this series I will proudly display them right next to my BTAS seasons and live action and animated Batman movies with pride and joy.

Last edited:
Well, I can honestly say that I love them both.

BTAS has the better single episodes, TBATB is - on average - better, although I didn't like the Adam Strange episode at all. Another point: Animation. Even for nostaglia's sake, BTAS suffers a lot.

For the tone, well, that depends on my mood. Batman's personality is fine with me, on both takes and it's nice to see the "fearless adventurer" again, I think we will never get him in the comics again so it's all fine.

I will decide this subject when I own my DVD collection of TBATB.

Last edited:
batman: the animated series. if it was between batman: the brave and the bold and the batman it would hands down be the brave and the bold.

except that Gotham Knight was not good and TBATB is. :word:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"