Ben Kingsley's return

Drew Pearce debunked it to me on Twitter earlier.

5b6516e0204132cdf30410cf7e8c8117.png

Im glad. I didn't like the change to the Mandarin but I would have hated them backtracking also.

Who cares if they change it at this point?The movie will still stand.Chances are they won't be using the Mandarin again in the foreseeable future.(and truth be told,One Shots have little to no impact on the films to begin with)

All that will happen is that Purists will be able to sleep well at night,knowing we don't have to settle for Guy "Dragon Tattoo" Pierce as the Mandarin in MCU. The "real" Mandarin may still emerge someday.....

They need to go watch big trouble in little china or the shadow, there's their "real mandarin" lol

I was really hoping that Kingsley was going to do voice work for Big Hero 6.

His time in the amazing spiderman boards have jiggled his brain around :o

Anyone who spends most of their day in there has had their brain turned into mush. It's like going into the Twilight Zone where Raimi is Satan and hair gets debated every week.

To play devil's advocate because I really don't think it will happen and really don't care at this point because the turd is already sitting on the floor and can't be sucked back into the butt that laid the turd...but...he is technically just saying that they aren't going to undo or apologize for the twist in Iron Man 3. It will still remain in the movie. BUT, he isn't saying that they aren't going to add to that or do another twist. Had he said that Aldrich is the Mandarin and no one else is the Mandarin then that may be more assuring. To me it just looks like he is defending his movie's creative decisions. It doesn't really speak for the universe going forward to me at least. We will know sooner or later I guess.

I hope Slattery isn't the real Mandarin. While it is a good thing to listen and learn from your audience, I really hate the idea of retconning a creative decision based on some complaints. It sets a horrible precedent. For good or bad, they should stick with what Black did out of respect.

:up:

And that certainly goes without saying. Marvel One Shots are light-hearted short stories taking place in the MCU. El Mayimbe's description sounded like a really ****tily fan-written post-credit scene.

Retconning the twist would also be the worst thing ever since it would completely undermine and essentially erase the meaning behind the main theme of the movie. As hard as some people attempt to convince themselves that it was poorly written, Pearce & Black really nailed the core story of identity and evidently kept it subtle enough to whiz over most fans' heads (even after it's been explained to them multiple times).

Last edited:
I hope this One Shot is either a prequel with Trevor, where he's on the streets or the aftermath and he's in jail being interviewed for tv or something...

:up:

And that certainly goes without saying. Marvel One Shots are light-hearted short stories taking place in the MCU. El Mayimbe's description sounded like a really ****tily fan-written post-credit scene.

Retconning the twist would also be the worst thing ever since it would completely undermine and essentially erase the meaning behind the main theme of the movie. As hard as some people attempt to convince themselves that it was poorly written, Pearce & Black really nailed the core story of identity and evidently kept it subtle enough to whiz over most fans' heads (even after it's been explained to them multiple times).
I have no problem with people liking the twist. However, if you have to insult the intelligence of people who disagree with you by saying that it "whizzed over their heads" it both undermines your own credibility and makes you look like an arrogant jerk. Some people didn't like that they reduced one of IM's greatest foes, if not his greatest foe, to a joke. Personally, I'm not sure exactly how I feel about the twist (I think that the arguments for and against it both have merit). But I can understand why some people hated it.

I totally get it too; I was commenting on the people saying it was "done as a gag," "had no purpose," or "already executed in Batman Begins" when it was intricately woven in an original way with the sole intention of trying to make the writers seem incompetent. It undermines their work by writing off what they pulled off as poorly done when it's really not the case.

You can dislike the twist all you want, but continuously acting like it didn't have to do with the main themes is nonsense. It's like how people refuse to believe Killian's motivations are about anonymity and not some half-baked revenge, just... cuz. That's arrogance.

His time in the amazing spiderman boards have jiggled his brain around :o

Hence why I refuse to post there anymore, I posted my thoughts on when the Electro teaser/Comic Con footage came out (which were negative, but fair) and I got called a troll and hating because I'm too attached to Raimi's movies lol

You can dislike the twist all you want, but continuously acting like it didn't have to do with the main themes is nonsense. It's like how people refuse to believe Killian's motivations are about anonymity and not some half-baked revenge, just... cuz. That's arrogance.

Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I've had to debate this. "Killian wanted revenge because Tony stood him up on a roof? What a wuss."

Guess you missed the part where Aldrich Killian himself went to Stark Industries for help, or where he said "Why would I still be pissed at you, you gave me the greatest gift of all - anonymity.", Or how about how he had no plans to hurt Stark until he was challenged to a grudge match and got in the way.

I think it is clear to us all that Marvel Studios and Shane Black are in a deal with the devil to destroy the Iron Man franchise. The only thing that can save it now is for FOX to get the rights....

He is his greatest enemy. Iron Man and Mandarin represents technology vs magic traditionally. People wanted a cool character driven superhero action movie where Stark overcomes obstacles created by the events of the Avengers as he faces off against the Mandarin who was portrayed as Marvel's Ra's Al Ghul(which I was interested in) not a buddy cop comedy called "Copy/Paste the Incredibles complete with a Fanboy's personal vendetta for petty revenge".

It just seems that after facing off against gods and aliens in the last movie, fans wanted something more than just a live action version of Syndrome and a badass terrorist looked awesome. It was just a petty cop-out for Iron Man and reduced his worth as a superhero. One of the things I liked about the Dark Knight is how it reminded us of how important the villain is and how a hero isn't much without one.

:wall::facepalm:

G'dammit another one? Mandarin isn't a magic powered villain. He doesn't use magic and his rings aren't powered by magic. All ALIEN tech. Its earth technology vs alien technology, not technology vs magic.

Funny how all these purists complain about the movie Mandarin yet don't know jack about the comic version.

Yeah, it's like I said earlier, nobody gave a crap about Mandarin, then the twist happens, and you would think he was as popular as The Joker due to the "backlash".

:wall::facepalm:

G'dammit another one? Mandarin isn't a magic powered villain. He doesn't use magic and his rings aren't powered by magic. All ALIEN tech. Its earth technology vs alien technology, not technology vs magic.

Funny how all these purists complain about the movie Mandarin yet don't know jack about the comic version.

Well in that case, it would be just Alien tech vs Earth tech then.

Yeah, it's like I said earlier, nobody gave a crap about Mandarin, then the twist happens, and you would think he was as popular as The Joker due to the "backlash".

No one gave a crap as the trailers assured us that we would've gotten a real credible kick-ass villain that would seem like a decent follow-up to the Gods and Aliens Tony last fought. It felt like that after the events of the Avengers where Iron Man really elevated his status as a superhero and able to stand with the likes of Thor and Captain America we all felt like more awesome villains like the Mandarin would want to launch themselves at Tony.

Did a little research on his "Modern Potrayal"
What they got right
. He is rich
. He is an expert at martial arts
. He is manipulative
What they got wrong
. His powers
. His race
. His motivations (destroy the west)

They got some things right and I don't care about the race that much but it's his motivations and his powers that made The Mandarin unique.

I also just really like Ben Kingley and was really enjoying him as "The Mandarin".

Breathing fire came from Mallen, an extremely important figure in the Extremis storyline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"