Ben Kingsley's return

T"Challa nailed it. The final battle in IM3 was an epic of trope subversion, which is why some comic book fans hated how it went down.

It has nothing to do with tropes. Pepper saved Tony in Iron Man 1. That doesn't even rectify the fact that Pepper is now a superhero that can't die. What do they do? They take that away. Then, Tony uses the serum at the end to heal himself. It was all just so forced. Tony is afraid of Pepper dying and then she can't die and he removes that ability from her. Makes no sense.

Isn't he changing Ultron from the source material?

Does that change who Ultron is? No...

I seriously can't believe so many people in here thought the Mandarin twist was great. It made a mockery out of Ben Kinglsey's character and completely ruined Iron Man's greatest enemy in 2 hours. All for what...comic relief. Who would have guessed that Ben Kinglsey would be making poop jokes from the trailers. No one. No one wanted or expected that. No one wanted that. But suddenly it's great. Umk.

Your analogy would be apt if Ultron was the works of a teenage computer hacker who programs Ultron to destroy the superheroes that chastised him at a parade for taking another kid's candy. Changing the characters up a little to fit the universe you have created is fine. Bastardizing a character is not. The Mandarin isn't a Middle East warlord but Kingsley's portrayal was so awesome up until he was in his underwear making sex jokes. Making the Mandarin a Middle East warlord is slightly changing the character to fit the universe you setup. He still has the same motivations and stands for the same things as the source material. When you make that facade a puppet for a guy who wants revenge for having to wait on top of a building in 1999 then that isn't the Mandarin. While I would have liked Pym to create Ultron, Ultron being created by Stark doesn't change who or what Ultron is or stands for. Whether Joss follows through with the rest, we will have to wait and see.

While I still don't expect Marvel to retcon it...I will laugh my ass off if they do.

Last edited:
Obviously he'll be Finfangfoom!

finfangfoom5.jpg

CABLE-AND-X-FORCE-7-IRON-MAN-MANY-ARMORS-VAR-NOW2-.jpg

hvid.jpg

Last edited:
Hammer on the nail. Honestly, between the reaction to the ending, combined with the calls for Pepper to die prior to the movie's release? I have a hard time arguing against some *major* misogynistic undercurrents.

Are you for or against Natalie Portman getting super powers in Thor 2 and destroying Malekith after Thor can't get the job done?

I seriously can't believe so many people in here thought the Mandarin twist was great. It made a mockery out of Ben Kinglsey's character and completely ruined Iron Man's greatest enemy in 2 hours. All for what...comic relief. Who would have guessed that Ben Kinglsey would be making poop jokes from the trailers. No one. No one wanted or expected that. No one wanted that. But suddenly it's great. Umk.

Ur failing to realize one thing tho... Ben Kingsley's character NEVER WAS THE MANDARIN. The character he was playing was Trevor Slattery, he was never once the Mandarin. Sure it looked like he was but no, he was Trevor. The real Mandarin wasn't in the movie so he wasn't ruined.

I seriously can't believe so many people in here thought the Mandarin twist was great. It made a mockery out of Ben Kingsley's character and completely ruined Iron Man's greatest enemy in 2 hours. All for what...comic relief.

''Greatest enemy'' is a bit far fetched.

Nobody gave two s***s about The Mandarin until a twist in a MOVIE happened. All of a sudden it's ''what have they done to my Mandarin, boo hoo''!

Nobody gave two s***s about The Mandarin until a twist in a MOVIE happened. All of a sudden it's ''what have they done to my Mandarin, boo hoo''!

Many people gave a lot when they saw the potential of Kingsley's Mandarin. Then they turned it into a crappy over-stretched joke.

So they are backtracking on the Mandarin. Trevor was pretending to be the Mandarin who was in fact Aldrich Killian who was pretending to be the Mandarin who was in fact someone else.

... who is mostly likely pretending to be the real Mandarin, but isn't :doh:

It has nothing to do with tropes. Pepper saved Tony in Iron Man 1. That doesn't even rectify the fact that Pepper is now a superhero that can't die. What do they do? They take that away. Then, Tony uses the serum at the end to heal himself. It was all just so forced. Tony is afraid of Pepper dying and then she can't die and he removes that ability from her. Makes no sense.

:up: they made her an equal, thn took it away for the status quo.

Plus his whole motivation in the movie was feeling that he couldn't protect Pepper, so he buiilt all those emergency armours to do so. then in the movie he failed to save her. So him blowing them up is the opposite reaction, he logically should've built more.

Changing the characters up a little to fit the universe you have created is fine. Bastardizing a character is not.

It's a fine line for some. People can see little things as bastardizing and big things as acceptable because they were entertaining or they're fanboys.

Ur failing to realize one thing tho... Ben Kingsley's character NEVER WAS THE MANDARIN. The character he was playing was Trevor Slattery, he was never once the Mandarin. Sure it looked like he was but no, he was Trevor. The real Mandarin wasn't in the movie so he wasn't ruined.

True, but he was ADVERTISED as the Mandarin for the whole run op to the film. They baited and switched.

Last edited:
That's what everyone falls back on when all the Mandarin complaints have been successfully countered.

Because it's true. Nothing can counter that they promised Ben Kingsley as The Mandarin and subverted that.

So they are backtracking on the Mandarin. Trevor was pretending to be the Mandarin who was in fact Aldrich Killian who was pretending to be the Mandarin who was in fact someone else.

... who is mostly likely pretending to be the real Mandarin, but isn't :doh:

Ouch my head!:wall:

Last edited:
Drew Pearce debunked it to me on Twitter earlier.

5b6516e0204132cdf30410cf7e8c8117.png

He is his greatest enemy. Iron Man and Mandarin represents technology vs magic traditionally. People wanted a cool character driven superhero action movie where Stark overcomes obstacles created by the events of the Avengers as he faces off against the Mandarin who was portrayed as Marvel's Ra's Al Ghul(which I was interested in) not a buddy cop comedy called "Copy/Paste the Incredibles complete with a Fanboy's personal vendetta for petty revenge".

It just seems that after facing off against gods and aliens in the last movie, fans wanted something more than just a live action version of Syndrome and a badass terrorist looked awesome. It was just a petty cop-out for Iron Man and reduced his worth as a superhero. One of the things I liked about the Dark Knight is how it reminded us of how important the villain is and how a hero isn't much without one.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the rumors about the real Mandarin confronting Ben Kingsley's character is true...well done Marvel. I really like that.

Oh and what happened to my posts? Did someone report them for proving a point? :huh:

lol okay there

Favs was gonna change Mandarin too

oh and Iron Man 2 had useless characters

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back