Best Jurassic sequel?

AVEITWITHJAMON

Badass Cloud
Reaction score
A similar poll was done when JW first came out, but now we have another Jurassic sequel to bring to the table in Fallen Kingdom. We all know the first movie is the best, but once you have seen FK, vote for the best sequel. My order goes:

1) Jurassic Park
2) Jurassic World
3) Fallen Kingdom (this may change once I see it more times)
4) Jurassic Park 3
5) The Lost World

It's still The Lost World.

Easily Jurassic World but I haven't seen Fallen Kingdom yet

Jurassic Park III. It's the least insufferable and the characters the least stupid (or at least there's more context for why they're stupid).

All 4 of them are stupid as hell.

Jurassic Park III. It's the least insufferable and the characters the least stupid (or at least there's more context for why they're stupid).

I thought I'd be the only vote for 3. It moves at a great pace, knows what it is and gets to the point. I'd take desperate and out of their depth parents over any of the other sequel casts, and they are a great target for Grant snark. I think the bird cage sequence is one of the more creative dinosaur set pieces of the sequels too.

Fallen Kingdom isn’t our here yet, but I’m excited as hell for it. But my list of the franchise as of right now is still

JP
JW
TLW
JP3

I personally love this franchise and all the films for different reasons.

I thought I'd be the only vote for 3. It moves at a great pace, knows what it is and gets to the point. I'd take desperate and out of their depth parents over any of the other sequel casts, and they are a great target for Grant snark. I think the bird cage sequence is one of the more creative dinosaur set pieces of the sequels too.

While I didn’t vote for it, I find JP3 very under rated.

I'll beat the drum all day for The Lost World. For three clear reasons.

1. Spielberg. The Lost World isn't prime Spielberg, but medium-level Spielberg is still far and away superior to other directors trying to copy him, as in JP III and Jurassic World. For instance, he comes up with a set piece that doesn't even involve dinosaurs - Sarah Harding on the cracking glass - that has more suspense than anything in either of the other sequels.

2. Plot actually progresses - and provides a good ending for the saga. JP III and Jurassic World just regurgitate the original movie. The Lost World properly continues the story of Ian Malcolm, John Hammond, InGen, the dinos and so on, and then comes up with a worthwhile ending where Hammond has learned to respect nature and makes a paradise for the dinosaurs instead of exploiting them. That's the best ending the saga can have.

3. It's Jurassic Park through a dark mirror. The 1993 original is all bright colours and a sense of wonder amidst the scares. The Lost World is dark, dirty, foreboding, and is basically a two-hour rage against the inhumanity of capitalism. Jeff Goldblum's now-sombre Ian Malcolm says it all.

I probably won't see Fallen Kingdom in theaters because of the Fifa World Cup, so I'll revisit this later.

Let's just toss out JP3 right away. It sucked and isn't in the conversation. The only decent thing it had was Sam Neill. He deserved far more than the crap that surrounded him.

That leaves the other two. The Lost World had the best character of any of these films outside of the first one, Roland the game hunter. He was great and when he's on screen the movie is so much better for it. The Lost World is also more substantive. It is actually about something. On the other hand, the film isn't executed all that well, the basic plot was done much better in King Kong (both the original and the Peter Jackson version), and it also had some truly annoying characters (Harding, Vince Vaughn, Malcolm's daughter) that really detract from it. While there is nothing wrong with cheering for the cool villains, I do have trouble when I find myself sympathizing more with them over the heroes and TLW I did.

Jurassic World was less serious than TLW, but as a non-stop thrill ride it worked. If the T. rex coming out at the end ready to kick some ass and save the day doesn't get your blood pumping, you have no soul. It did make the mistake of killing the best character (Masrani the owner) halfway through the movie and it is certainly a lot goofier, but I ultimately enjoy watching it more than I do TLW.

I don't know that I should vote since I haven't seen the Jurassic World movies, but I thought 3 was easily better than The Lost World.

I liked 3 way more when i was younger. I still like the dino action but out of all 4 it's the one where i really root for the dinos to kill the humans, especially leoni.

I voted The Lost World, but I’ve always been a fan of 3.

Honestly even though I consider World good, World’s actually open park and shiney future-ish look have worn off of me. When I watch JP3, I still see great mix of animatronics and CGI. With JW, I just see far too much CGI, especially the Raptors.

I liked 3 way more when i was younger. I still like the dino action but out of all 4 it's the one where i really root for the dinos to kill the humans, especially leoni.

If a movie makes you want to see its good guys killed, then it hasn't worked.

I probably won't see Fallen Kingdom in theaters because of the Fifa World Cup, so I'll revisit this later.

Let's just toss out JP3 right away. It sucked and isn't in the conversation. The only decent thing it had was Sam Neill. He deserved far more than the crap that surrounded him.

That leaves the other two. The Lost World had the best character of any of these films outside of the first one, Roland the game hunter. He was great and when he's on screen the movie is so much better for it. The Lost World is also more substantive. It is actually about something. On the other hand, the film isn't executed all that well, the basic plot was done much better in King Kong (both the original and the Peter Jackson version), and it also had some truly annoying characters (Harding, Vince Vaughn, Malcolm's daughter) that really detract from it. While there is nothing wrong with cheering for the cool villains, I do have trouble when I find myself sympathizing more with them over the heroes and TLW I did.

Jurassic World was less serious than TLW, but as a non-stop thrill ride it worked. If the T. rex coming out at the end ready to kick some ass and save the day doesn't get your blood pumping, you have no soul. It did make the mistake of killing the best character (Masrani the owner) halfway through the movie and it is certainly a lot goofier, but I ultimately enjoy watching it more than I do TLW.

The JW climax was just copying the original Jurassic Park climax, but without the surprise, and with ludicrous bits like Bryce Dallas Howard outrunning a T-Rex in high heels, and a raptor running to the rescue in heroic slow motion.

It's an awful climax, it's absurd and it panders to audiences by making the T-Rex and raptors into good guys just because they're so popular, while the Indominous Rex is an Evil Dinosaur. It's not even exciting because it's more about the dinosaur battle than the humans in the middle, who are just bystanders.

Last edited:
It's still The Lost World. JW and JWFK are just not that good.

My list:
1. JP 1 (My all time favourite movie)
2. JP 2
3. JW
4. JW 2
5. JP 3

Not JP3! Otherwise probably TLW or JW.

Yep. When watching the other movies while getting ready for Fallen Kingdom it's the one I touch the least. Also I hate what they did with Alan and Elle. I find the Spino to be my least favorite of the Dinosaur main attractions in the series as well. (The Rex is legend and I find the Indominous more intimidating and more to the point of the main messing with nature theme)

The Lost World I keep fondly coming back to because it still has that Spielberg touch, while being darker and a little more brutal.

In that one Macy and Leoni were clearly the villains and the dinos the heroes. The film only failed because the heroes failed to eat the villains. :csad:

Wonder who gave FK it’s first vote?

Genuinely asking out of curiosity.

In that one Macy and Leoni were clearly the villains and the dinos the heroes. The film only failed because the heroes failed to eat the villains. :csad:

Seriously, lied about no only who they were and why they were there but made Dr. Grant think they were staying airborne, then make so many bone headed decisions that it was ridiculous that they weren't killed immediately. Even Grant's associate Billy is a fool for stealing Raptor eggs.

Also it doesn't make me LOATHE the so-called "heroes" like TLW does. Nor did JP III beat me over the head with it's hamfisted and poorly-executed "message" either. TLW is insufferable to watch for me.

JW by contrast is mostly just dumb and an inferior rehash of the first film full with dumb characters that I don't care about, but I also don't loathe either. The only thing truly unfortunately notable about it is it's "questionable" treatment of it's female characters.

You can click on the number of votes per option and it’ll show who voted for what.

Cool, thanks. Was just wondering as while I came out of FK a little disappointed, the movie has stayed with me since seeing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"