• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Shazam Black Adam spin off with The Rock

Producer Hiram Garcia says a sequel is already being developed.

I swear I was thinking the same thing. I didn’t get that.

On the one hand, it's a bit of narrative shorthand because she's well-connected and spoke to Batman before. And she seems to have a great deal of power.

On the other hand, look at literally everything else she's done thus far in the DCEU.

Her own daughter blew the whistle on her.

Given Hawkman's origins in Egypt, they could have easily connected his backstory with Black Adam's. The writers really missed out on a golden opportunity.

Not unless he's from Hawkworld or Thanagar ;)

Just got out of Black Adam. It's a decent 5.5 maybe 6/10 type of movie. It has the bones for something a little bit more interesting but the writers (there were 3 apparently) definitely did not think them through which is sad because they are VERY OBVIOUS.

You have Black Adam whose what? 5000 years old? You have Hawkman...who (at least in the comics) is cursed with reincarnation. You have Doctor Fate (helmet) whose as old as probably time itself. Yet Hawkman is relegated to being a black Bruce Wayne with wings and Doctor Fate who is more interesting in the film but whose story we've barely scratched the ground with...there's so much more there.

You can also tell that these writers do not understand DC-lore at all except for a quick skim of the comics to see who they want to use. Who are the JSA? Why have they always been around in this world? But apparently they are just another team that works for Amanda Waller? Apparently the most dangerous man has been awakened and Hawkman recruits two teens/young adults who are brand new to the biz? How JL of them.

I've seen A LOT of Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson movies in my life, I grew up with watching him on WWE every Thursday or Friday. I know what he is capable of but sadly while he isn't HORRIBLE, this is easily his worst role acting wise. He's very monotone throughout the film and shows very little, if any emotion in the film because Black Adam is a "badass". He's an unstoppable force. He's not beauty and grace, he's lightning and brawn. I think if you're someone who doesnt care much for characterization or story then yeah this is a great film since it does have A LOT of action (and A LOT of slow motion) but when it comes to Black Adam in action scenes? Yeah it's nice but I know he wont get hurt. I know his enemies wont stand a chance.
There are some little surprises in the film and I will give them that.

Teth-Adams backstory is told 2-3 times? You have the myth thats passed down through generations. Black Adam was a child who was chosen by The Wizard for his great courage and he gets trapped saving everyone from a horrible king. You have what whatshername thinks is the version...You have Black Adam who was a child chosen by The Wizard and cant control his power and destroys everything. Then you have the truth. Teth-Adams son stands up against the King, is chosen by The Wizard and given the comic version look of the character (only seen in shadow though for 5 seconds) and is a hero. He decides to share his power with his father but is killed in the process setting Black Adam on a path of revenge. Interesting enough but it appears that he doesnt even operate that long and is around for maybe a day before he's locked away by the council of Wizards.

We have Teth-Adam aparentley want to be a better person and he powers down, gets locked up in one of Wallers underwater cells but when re-awakened by Fate, he is still a total badass who can kick ass like its not nothing. Sure he gets pierced by a bullet and bleeds but other than that he is taking on these trained guys like it aint a thing and there's very little that differentiates him from when he's Black Adam besides not being a mountain of muscles)

Doctor Fate.....decides to play mega hero himself and instead of seeing his friend Hawkman die, he chooses to go on a suicide mission and take on The Dark Wizards champion...satan guy (whatever his name is) but for some unbeknowst reason because we dont know him that well (apparently he's around 100 yrs old? and wants to die?) just....powers down, takes off the helmet and allows himself to be killed but not before he sets Black Adam free one more time. Did Pierce not want to do more movies? Is this part of the reason why he signed on? Doctor Fate is a GREAT character and they didnt even scratch the surface.

Hawkman...I feel bad for Hawkman and his die hard fans. I know a lot of people complain about how WW is treated but...even her scene in JL isnt as cringe worthy as what Hawkman has to go through in this film. He's basically Scott Summers/Cyclops to Black Adams, Wolverine. He's straight laced. Believes in justice. Has a hard no kill rule. Practically Superman but without the most powerful man part.

Why did they choose Hawkman? Because he looks cool? We get ZERO backstory for him and he's just around to yell at Black Adam "you better not kill anymore people!" and gets his butt kicked SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH! Like omg. Sure he is able to withstand a hit from Black Adam but he is thrown around like a ragdoll. I've never been more embarrassed for a leader of a team lol.

After Fate dies...I still dont understand how he was able to use the Helmet. Apparently if you just touch it, you can access the power? You dont need to put it on.

The side characters are ok. The brother is just nothing but comedy every time he opens his mouth.

The Mom and Son were good. When we are introduced to her, it easily could've been a Tomb Raider movie and im a bit sad it wasnt.

Atom Smasher was ok but again...basically just used for comedy.

I'd love to see more of Cyclone. She was great, the actor played her great. The effects for her were really good and the actor brought good depth to the character.

Wow is this movie wildly uneven. The first half of the movie is really rough but the second half salvages it. However, I came away wanting to rewatch Shazam more than anything.

Mileage is going to really vary from person to person on Black Adam but for whatever reason I ended up having fun with it. Maybe I just really like The Rock and was really into Dr Fate and Hawkman. Perhaps my innate desire to really want to like Black Adam is playing a factor, I don't know. I just know I walked away hoping to see Black Adam show up again.

I plan on seeing the film tomorrow. Given everything that I've heard about the film, Black Adam could have easily been introduced in Shazam's sequel.

I plan on seeing the film tomorrow. Given everything that I've heard about the film, Black Adam could have easily been introduced in Shazam's sequel.
Doing it this way, Black Adam can push that Anti Hero Narrative.
In Shazam 3, he would've flat out been the villain.

Doing it this way, Black Adam can push that Anti Hero Narrative.
In Shazam 3, he would've flat out been the villain.

Personally, I think they could have introduced Black Adam as a tragic villain in Shazam 2 and then portray him as an anti-hero in Shazam 3.

I Just want to know one thing.
Is, Black Adam's origin still connected to, Shazam?

Which Shazam? lol. Not Billy Baston but yes they both get their powers from the same exact Wizard.

I think he easily could've been introduced in a Shazam sequel or...JSA movie..or any more movie lol. His origin and reason for being dont take up that much time that we could still get the same effect, just a bit more evened out.

Do you smell what The Rock is cooking?!

Yeah and it doesn't smell good, Dwayne. :o Eh, I'll probably catch this at my LieMAX in a matinée so I can support a DCEU movie that doesn't have problematic actors in it for once (AFAIK). *shrugs*

So sounds like this film is trying to be the DCEU Venom. :o
If it's mindless fun like the Venom movies, then I'll be happy. Though, I'm not sure this will yield glorious memes like Venom and Morbius did. :hehe:

critics are calling ? who? the text is to small :lmao:

Just left to see it.

This was bad. Like WW84 bad, not Morbius bad.
Haha. I have zero expectations so it will be hard to be disappointed (which was the problem with WW84 for me but not Morbius).

Seeing this on Sunday in Dolby. I miss my Dolby AMC theater, last time I saw a movie in Dolby was Top Gun Maverick. If you don’t see a movie during its opening weekend, they move it out of the theater and put a new movie in there. Pisses me off :cmad:

So sounds like this film is trying to be the DCEU Venom. :o

After seeing the movie naw don't believe so. What worked for Venom was that Tom Hardy was in on the joke, which made Venom 2 better when everyone knew what kind of movie they were going for. Black Adam takes itself a bit more seriously which showed they definitely didn't try to pull off a Venom. However there is a chance that Black Adam performs like Venom financially. If there's one guy who is critic proof for the general audience it's my guy Dwayne.

Anyone who is not into Snyder-style action and lots of it is going to have a very bad time here. :D

I went in with Morbius-level expectations so it was near impossible to disappoint me, plus I usually end up enjoying even terrible stuff when I actually make the effort to go to the cinema and the occasion of it.

Given those rock bottom expectations, there were some positives. I don't think Black Adam is quite as obnoxious and unheroic and lacking heart as The Rock wanted him to be and marketed him as.

Hawkman visuals are cool. (thanks @Filmfreak ) Brosnan is there. I was happy to see the JSA in any form (the reason for me going), and they were in it more than I had thought they would be. Sarah Shahi also was a bonus as I didn't know she was in the film. So I personally don't regret my trip and had a good time - but it's going to be exactly what many who haven't seen it yet are fearing/laughing at.

Damn everytime WW84 is mentioned I feel like a looney because I legit really like that movie and not in any ironic way. :D

I was happy to see the JSA in any form (the reason for me going)

Yeah, JSA just being there was a big shot in the arm. I feel like Black Adam is about as uneven as, or maybe even objectively worse than Aquaman, a film I didn't like, but since Black Adam had things like the JSA, which gave me more characters I actually give a crap about IP-wise, I came away with a much better experience than I did with Aquaman. I know for damn sure though that this was better than Suicide Squad, BVS and Josstice League. Probably blasphemous but I also enjoyed this more than Man of Steel.

Yeah, JSA just being there was a big shot in the arm. I feel like Black Adam is about as uneven as, or maybe even objectively worse than Aquaman, a film I didn't like, but since Black Adam had things like the JSA, which gave me more characters I actually give a crap about IP-wise, I came away with a much better experience than I did with Aquaman. I know for damn sure though that this was better than Suicide Squad, BVS and Josstice League. Probably blasphemous but I also enjoyed this more than Man of Steel.
They were a massive boost to the film for me, and in it a lot more than I expected. Can't quite imagine what this film would be like without them!

6/10

My quick thoughts on this movie after seeing it last night is that I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. It’s a fun popcorn flick. It’s not a bad film… but it’s definitely better than Ww84 SS and JL17

The Rock really does cary this whole movie. The other cast were great but my issue was the story. The Story was pretty average and had a lot going on and I think the JSA were not developed enough. A lot of shots I also felt like they were also borrowing from other superhero films that came before I don’t know if it was homage or just plain laziness.

the action was good it definitely keeps you interested
The last act with the showdown with the villain wasn’t that good though in my opinion.

I feel the sequel will be a lot better if DJ and co can learn from their mistakes.

6/10 sounds about right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"