Black Panther: Wakanda Forever General Discussion and Speculation Thread

With all the rumors regarding to Namor and Doom I was kinda worried, because I wanted to see more of Wakanda. It’s awesome, that we will get a Wakanda series, so they can go full on war against Atlantis or Latveria in the movie.

Absolutely not to Rege-Jean Page rumor.

You go to the trouble of building a world, rich in pure African people and culture, and then your main actor dies and you replace him with someone who's the opposite of what he was? Nah.

It just adds to the whole Hollywood colorism agenda too.

I'd have to disagree with this. The actor is of British-Zimbabwean decent from what i've seen, so he actually of South African decent.

My guess is he understands African culture pretty well given that at least one side of his family is from the continent of Africa .

I don't know if it adds to the colorism agenda or not, but if he fits the alleged new role he's up for, I wouldn't be against him being cast, and I'm much darker than he is as a Black man.

Again, I doubt that the vast majority of African Americans will have an issue it. I could see those who analyze colorism in depth be hung up on it, but the majority wouldn't have an issue with it.

We have lots of shades in the black community including a few of my cousins who are as light as him, so I don't even think that would really be an issue unless for someone who's that hung up on his skin tone.

If he were a recast of Boseman's T'Challa, that would be one thing. But he's rumored to be playing a different character , so the vast majority of Black audiences would accept him for who he is because again, African Africans and African Americans aren't a monolith in terms of skin tone, and lots of us have people of all shades of black in our family whether it be immediate or extended. Trust me.

If there would be any issue, it would be anyone else taking the mantle aside from Boseman, including Shuri or a new character whether they were darker skinned or not.

Last edited:
I'd have to disagree with this. The actor is of British-Zimbabwean decent from what i've seen, so he actually of South African decent.

My guess is he understands African culture pretty well given that at least one side of his family is from the continent of Africa .

I don't know if it adds to the colorism agenda or not, but if he fits the alleged new role he's up for, I wouldn't be against him being cast, and I'm much darker than he is as a Black man.

Again, I doubt that the vast majority of African Americans will have an issue it. I could see those who analyze colorism in depth be hung up on it, but the majority wouldn't have an issue with it.

We have lots of shades in the black community including a few of my cousins who are as light as him, so I don't even think that would really be an issue unless for someone who's that hung up on his skin tone.

If he were a recast of Boseman's T'Challa, that would be one thing. But he's rumored to be playing a different character , so the vast majority of Black audiences would accept him for who he is because again, African Africans and African Americans aren't a monolith in terms of skin tone, and lots of us have people of all shades of black in our family whether it be immediate or extended. Trust me.

If there would be any issue, it would be anyone else taking the mantle aside from Boseman, including Shuri or a new character whether they were darker skinned or not.

I'm black too, with two full blooded African-American parents, and again I say hell no to this Rene-Jean Page recasting rumor.

Again, I know he's British-Zimbabwean, but the fact that he comes from a white parent, the fact that he is lighter skinned and taking the mantle from a character who is dark-skinned and full blooded African would just add to the whitewashing agenda that Hollywood loves to do with black stories. We've seen it for years with Storm for example, from Halle Berry to Alexandra Shipp. I love Halle and her talent enormously, but she had no business being Ororo Munroe.

The same applies here. If you select an actor the likes of Chadwick Boseman to play this character, then you keep the same energy and cast someone who looks like him and not the complete opposite of what and who he was.

That's why dark-skinned black people are misrepresented in media now. Black Twitter would take this and eat this story alive.

But again that's just my opinion.

More likely he is the Kaspar Cole black panther since the character is biracial.

I never really found Cole that interesting. He exists because the T'Challa black panther comic wasn't selling that great at the time so Christopher Priest and Marvel decided to shake things up with a new Black Panther.

Perhaps they could merge the Hunter and Cole characters. Have Cole be a half Wakandan who grew up with T'Challa and became head of the Hatut Zeraze. Being viewed still as an outsider for being half Wakandan he overcompensates by being uber patriotic/zealous (like Hunter). He is exiled for going too far and becomes a mercenary. He returns when T'Challa dies and becomes the new Black Panther.
That could be an interesting possibility. Really, I think it would just come down to how they'd write him in. Maybe another War Dog child who seeks repatriation after hearing about Wakanda becoming less isolationist? (I'm already starting to think about the implications and arguments that could bring up -- if some people were drawing the conclusion from the first movie that Black Panther was anti-African American with the Killmonger angle (I actually went on a date with someone who expressed this viewpoint) I can't help but think they'd take even more issue to a biracial character ultimately successfully repatriating to Wakanda and taking the mantle -- but again, I'm glad I don't have to write these things. I'm probably overthinking it anyway.)

If he's already a Wakandan citizen, I think that's fine. They weren't prominent but there were a handful of light-skinned Wakandan characters throughout the first film. If this is even a real thing that's happening, I'm sure there's some way to do it well.

I've always felt (Hollywood) colorism was more of an issue for women than men. Like if he were cast (as whoever), the uproar wouldn't be as strong if it were a female role.

Strange but interesting. Mayan culture isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when I think of aquatic civilizations.

So Nakia will be part of it - good to know

That would be awesome to make Atlantis in the MCU a sunken Mayan empire and not greek. I bet they want to be different than Aquaman with greek inspired temples. Mayan temples underwater would be awesome
But the article does not say that the Mayan tribes from Atlantis ... Or is this just a guess and desire?
Although yes, I can imagine how it was possible to show all this beauty in the film ...:cool:

I've always felt (Hollywood) colorism was more of an issue for women than men. Like if he were cast (as whoever), the uproar wouldn't be as strong if it were a female role.
It's interesting because Amandla Stenberg backed out of the running for Shuri because she felt it wasn't right for a biracial woman like her to play the role.

“These are all dark-skinned actors playing Africans, and I feel like it would have just been off to see me as a bi-racial American with a Nigerian accent just pretending that I’m the same color as everyone else in the movie,” Stenberg said. “That was really challenging, to make that decision, but I have no regrets. I recognize 100 percent that there are spaces that I should not take up and when I do take up a space it’s because I’ve thought really, really critically about it and I’ve consulted people I really trust and it feels right.”
Amandla Stenberg Walked Away from Black Panther for a Very Thoughtful Reason

I feel like the best option they have is to set Black Panther 2 during the 5 year snap. That way, they don't have to think of an explanation for T'Challa's absence as they already have one. Presumably Wakanda must have been protected by a Black Panther during that time... it couldn't have been Shuri as she was also snapped. We got to see a little of how the remaining Avengers lived during those 5 years so it would be interesting to see how life was in Wakanda.

I don't doubt the Blip will pretty much be addressed during the sequel, though now that
Wakanda has officially reentered the current MCU storyline in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier and will probably be establishing what's been going on there, I'm inclined to think that they might've been angling to trying to move the story forward to the point where going back wouldn't make a ton of sense to spend a lot of time dwelling in the past later on down the production/release timeline.

Is a release in July 2022 still realistic at this point? I doubt it. While Thor started filming in January with a release in May 2022 this should be start filming in March, now its April. And I even have the feeling noone has an idea what this movie should be about so I would say they are very early in preproduction.
And covid restrictions while filming will not help to be more fast. Since Antman 3 is filming right now, I call they trade there spots.

In regards to Rege Jean-Page:

- I don't want him in the MCU for the simple fact that he's not a good actor. He was awful in Bridgerton and the one episode he hosted in SNL wasn't great. One of the great things the MCU has done is to cast super talented actors in the various roles, especially in Black Panther. There's nothing I have seen so far from him to indicate he's a good actor. In BP, you have Angela Bassett, Daniel Kaluuya, Forrest Whitaker, Chadwick Boseman and Lupita Nyong'o, all Oscar Nominated actors with Whitaker and Nyong'o winning. Right now he lacks the charm and the charisma that Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Danai Gurira and MBJ have. I don't get his appeal.

In regards to Rege Jean-Page:

- I don't want him in the MCU for the simple fact that he's not a good actor. He was awful in Bridgerton and the one episode he hosted in SNL wasn't great. One of the great things the MCU has done is to cast super talented actors in the various roles, especially in Black Panther. There's nothing I have seen so far from him to indicate he's a good actor. In BP, you have Angela Bassett, Daniel Kaluuya, Forrest Whitaker, Chadwick Boseman and Lupita Nyong'o, all Oscar Nominated actors with Whitaker and Nyong'o winning. Right now he lacks the charm and the charisma that Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Danai Gurira and MBJ have. I don't get his appeal.
I respect you r opinion but i think he has alot of onscreen charm and charisma and so do lots of other people.

I know it's all subjective, but both of you could have valid points. He can have charm and charisma and still be a bad actor. Those qualities are not mutually exclusive. The Rock is charming and charismatic, but he's not particularly a good actor.

I know it's all subjective, but both of you could have valid points. He can have charm and charisma and still be a bad actor. Those qualities are not mutually exclusive. The Rock is charming and charismatic, but he's not particularly a good actor.

The Rock chooses mainly blockbuster films so thats not saying much. I think Rege is a good actor based on what ive seen him in. But then again the majority of Marvel/DC characters are not really challenging roles so it's not like a whole lot is expected of the actors anyways. It's a bonus when you get an oscar nominated actor to sign on but not really needed.

The Rock chooses mainly blockbuster films so thats not saying much. I think Rege is a good actor based on what ive seen him in. But then again the majority of Marvel/DC characters are not really challenging roles so it's not like a whole lot is expected of the actors anyways. It's a bonus when you get an oscar nominated actor to sign on but not really needed.

There's something about the Shonda Rhimes shows I don't like the further the shows go on. They are fine for a year or two (I didn't see that with Bridgerton and was out after two episodes). Grey's Anatomy has gone on way too long I think and I was out after 4 seasons. I was out after 2 seasons of How to Get Away with Murder and out after two seasons of Scandal.

Look, here's the thing, all it takes is one role for me turn around on Rege. That's all. I look at Dax Sheppard as an example. When he did Punk'd and all of those comedies, I thought he wasn't a great actor. Then he did Parenthood (a highly underrated show) and he was really good on that show and I believe he had a standout performance on that show. Because of that, I look at Dax Sheppard as an actor differently now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"