Days of Future Past Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 6

According to you.

Did Bryan Singer/Matthew Vaughn ever mentioned that it was the first line-up of the X-Men?

According to everyone. It was the first class of what we know now as the X-Men. "Group of Mutants Working With the Government: First Class" is boring, and doesn't fit on a ticket stub.

This is still going on, isn't it?
Slow news day :csad:
has anything been shown yet?
Other than the headshots of Prof X, Magneto, Colossus, and Bishop, and the shot of Havok in the army, nothing new has been shown.
According to you.

Did Bryan Singer/Matthew Vaughn ever mentioned that it was the first line-up of the X-Men?
They answered questions that referred to the team as X-Men plenty of times supporting that they're X-Men in promo interviews.

Why are you so unwilling to accept what you already know?
Are you that bored and restless without news? :csad:

Yes, she's gone in the field with them, joined Excalibur at some point, was one of their medics.
Humans have been on the team before.

Don't be naive. :whatever:
You don't need a movie to tell you they were X-Men for them to be X-Men. If you do, you're not that smart.

I think you guys are missing the point here. The group of mutants in first class were not fighting as Official X-men. A Beta stage perhaps, but NOT OFFICIALLY x-men. The name did not even exist or had been thought of so they couldn't have been "x-men" until the very end or whenever the kids thought of the name officially later in the timeline. Just because the movie is called XMEN first class, doesn't mean they are x-men in the movie. X-men Origins: Wolverine had the name X-men in it. Where were the X-men? There were mutants who would BECOME X-men... Just like the first class movie. The movie was a setup, an origin, a beginning for those character, who would become X-men.

Whatever was left of the band of mutants on that island fighting for Xaviers said became X-men. So basically Havok and Beast. Before that it was a mutant free for all, some bad, some good.

I understand what psylockolussus is trying to say. It takes a little work to understand, because its very hard to explain properly. Just because they were wearing the yellow and blue protective outfits doesn't mean they were officially x-men.

If the students came up with the name, and it was adapted by the students
(presumably Cyclops, Storm and Jean and others unknown) Then in no was was the band of mutants in first class the X-men, since there were no students and no school until the very end of FC.

Also Keep in mind the First Class was in name only. Of COURSE the movie was going to be named X-men, lol, what else would they call it? it DOES lead to the events of the X-men Creation. It really doesn't make sense in the first place, since the school hadn't been founded yet. Its really all a set up for the final scenes. The mutants involved in the movie will become the literal first class, but it wasn't filmed. Singer just thought it was a cool name to call the movie and he stuck with it, Even if there was no official "class" as of yet. Its just a loose term to describe the first act, the initial events, the first players in the big picture, while incorporating what would become a "class" learning dynamic at the school,for future mutants, and future X-men.

Some of the first "x-men" were still Jean and Cyclops, but the first band of mutants were Havok, Beast, ERIC, Charles, etc, that helped the cause and the founding of the X-Men name, and not officially X-men in the FC climax. Like i said its hard to explain, you kinda either get the logic, or don't i guess. In the end you can chalk them up to bing X-men if you want because some of them do become officially X-men and the others affiliated with them, but with the other movies in the fold, it makes more sense that the X-Men name be adopted after the FC movie.

Last edited:
According to everyone. It was the first class of what we know now as the X-Men. "Group of Mutants Working With the Government: First Class" is boring, and doesn't fit on a ticket stub.

Or they just didn't have a team/group name.

And I totally agree with what TWayneP said.

Last edited:
OK, everyone...can we just move from this particular discussion?

At this point, we are really arguing semantics. Were they actually x-men then and there or did they morph into x-men later. The title of the movie had x-men in it, Singer/Vaughn referred to the x-men in interviews before the movie was released. They were called x-men in the movie, they were x-men.

Annoying debates are fun, huh?

Right, guys?

... guys?

It's like X-Men 3 all over again. :awesome:

:csad:

Nothing will be like X-men 3 ha. At least we are debating about a GOOD movie.

anyway, Im sticking with what I think. I don't think its flawed, its what is presented ON FILM, and makes better sense with continuity. Not just an assumption or because they wear yellow and blue lol. The X-men name wasn't even thought of until after the fallout, so Beast is really the only X-man in the movie that we have proof of, since he stuck with Charles. By X3 we know Beast stuck through until the X-men name was officially adopted. We don't know if Havok stuck with him just yet, to become an OFFICIAL X-Man :) Cyclops sure did!

When Moria first uttered the X-men name to Charles at the end, did you see his expression? lol. Do you think he was thinking "oh yes that is a cool name and includes all the mutants that wore blue and yellow like mystique and everyone that screwed me over!"

Anyway we can move on. Your not changing my mind :woot:

I don't usually agree with psylockolussus, but you guys really didn't hear him out. He made some accurate points. It really just comes down to opinion and interpretation and you guys just threw out the facepalms and talked demeaningly about "people's flawed logic" and stuff like he wasn't even in the room.

I hate when everyone gets like this.

I don't usually agree with psylockolussus, but you guys really didn't hear him out. He made some accurate points. It really just comes down to opinion and interpretation and you guys just threw out the facepalms and talked demeaningly about "people's flawed logic" and stuff like he wasn't even in the room.

I hate when everyone gets like this.

:up: Such is the life of nerds haha. :oldrazz:

So what you are saying is that in Batman Begins during the scene where Batman beats up the guys at the warehouse moving the drugs...he's not Batman until he bashes the crime boss in the head and says "I'm Batman"?

The only great action scenes in FC are the Cuba scenes. Sorry but FC has nothing on X2. It will forever remain the second best x film.

Hopefully FC will be 3rd best x film come May 2014 ;)

Anyways, with all this "X-men" / "not X-men" talk looks like I'm late to the party. :oldrazz:

You two are taking too literally if you think X-Men was formed because they wore blue and yellow costumes.

And the word "X-Men" was only brought up when Moira talked to Xavier about opening the school.

They were a group of mutants helping the government to track down Sebastian Shaw.

Talk about being literal.

I've already had this conversation with psylocolossus before and nothing good came out of it. :jedi

Last edited:
So what you are saying is that in Batman Begins during the scene where Batman beats up the guys at the warehouse moving the drugs...he's not Batman until he bashes the crime boss in the head and says "I'm Batman"?

No.

;)

The scenes of Erik destroying Shaw's yacht wit it's own anchor and bringing the sub up from out of the ocean were fantastic. Also, Shaw attacking the CIA was badass (especially Azazel).

Mystique is a classic x-men villain (probably top five or six). She's been both an enemy and ally in the past. She has frequently been a mastermind to rival or even surpass Magneto (she's more cunning and calculated than him). To say that Mystique is not important is an insult to her character.

top 5? No they would be in no particular order.
Apocalypse
Sinister
Sentinels
Magneto
Hellfire club

there are plenty x-men viallains and Mystiue is not one of the top tier ones. She does not warrant being in series about the x-men and appearing in said series more than any other x-woman. That is not right.

My top five X-Men villains are

1. Magneto & Brotherhood
2. Apocalypse
3. Mr. Sinister
4. The Hellfire Club
5. Sentinels

Same with NanaT, but for me the Brotherhood falls under Magneto. I know the Brotherhood has a lot of line-ups that didn't feature Magneto, but in the cartoons/videogames/movies, they are under Magneto's orders.

and Apocalypse/Mr. Sinister should appear in a X-Men movie soon!

I don't think Mystique is a top-5 villain because she has always been too closely associated with the X-Men to simply be a villain. She worked for the government by leading Freedom Force. She's mom to Rogue and Nightcrawler. She was a member of X-Factor. She's been in a relationship with Iceman. She has all these complications with Wolverine. She even worked with S.H.I.E.L.D. for a hot minute.

And to her credit, she's been in a helluva lot more X-comics than any top-5 villains except Magneto.

The scenes of Erik destroying Shaw's yacht wit it's own anchor and bringing the sub up from out of the ocean were fantastic. Also, Shaw attacking the CIA was badass (especially Azazel).

agreed

Yes, by calling the film X-MEN: FIRST CLASS.

i actually think they were not X-men in FC but more like the test team before Xavier started the X-men, because i honestly wouldn't be surprised if Singer waits till cyclops and jean arrive before officially giving them the name X-men

giving the look of the 70s it doesn't look like Xaviers in the right place to have a team of X-men

but maybe i'm wrong

I think they WERE X-Men just weren't called that until the end with Moira. Like, the first guy to invent a pizza didnt know what to call it yet but what he made was still a pizza. Then his gf came over and said mama mia a pizza and there you go ... Same thing here!

I would say that they became X-Men after the CIA attack and Charles took them to the mansion. They stopped being government agents then and became x-men trained by Charles and Erik. I remember Erik saying something like 'Shaw has his team we need ours' that is the point I would say that they became X-Men.

So technically Angel and Darwin were never X-Men.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"