The Winter Soldier Captain America 2: Rotten Tomato Watch - Part 1

Unless there is an influx of negative reviews (about 5) waiting to be added. :funny:

So, I was just looking over the RT reviews for all of Marvel films, and it seems like many of the New York magazines don't like Captain America at all. NYT even gave The Avengers a poor score (but, AO Scott was the reviewer, and he don't like anything that the GA tends to like)

Yeesh… I knew it was too good to last.

Why would something like RT that is owned by the WB ever allow it to remain at 90% when it's so close? It never had a chance and never will.

Because The Avengers has a score of higher than 90%, as does Iron Man.

Eh, I don't buy the conspiracy theories. If WB were really putting the screws on RT behind the scenes, you'd think they would have gotten better ratings for Green Lantern and, especially, Man of Steel. MoS wasn't *that* far from being fresh; if ever there were a place for conspiratorial influence, that would be it.

Any updates? Is there any chance that it might still end up at 90%?

It would need 10 positive reviews with no negatives, which at this rate is unlikely.

FWIW: Matt ZollerSeitz of RogerEbert.com (he does mostly TV reviews, but he does have some movie reviews up on RT) seemed to really love TWS:

https://twitter.com/mattzollerseitz

Matt Zoller Seitz ‏@mattzollerseitz 21m
I love the idea of a comic book movie telling kids that those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither. 5/5

Matt Zoller Seitz ‏@mattzollerseitz 27m
The second CAPTAIN AMERICA reclaims patriotism for the skeptical centrist/leftist. Battle of New York as 9/11, Neofascist aftermath. 4/5

Matt Zoller Seitz ‏@mattzollerseitz 29m
But what really struck me was the emphasis on character and story rather than posing and quips. That and the political dimension. 3/5

Matt Zoller Seitz ‏@mattzollerseitz 31m
Although my preference is not for shaky cam fight scenes, the Russo Brothers do it as well or better than Paul Greengrass. 2/5

Matt Zoller Seitz ‏@mattzollerseitz 32m
CAPT. AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER is the first Marvel film that stands on its own as a good movie, not just a piece of world building. 1/5

Yeah, which is why I can appreciate Feige trying to keep things under wraps with the studio about future projects LOL! Even if it is an exercise in frustration for us fans.

That being said, I *like* the worldbuilding effort Marvel's doing, because it's this ever-growing web of characters and possible storylines that feed back and grow and build on each other. It's an enormous cinematic construct that is, for now, successful. For me, it is a whole new way to watch a movie, to watch multiple, interconnected franchises.

I need it to keep going because I am desperate to see what's next!

Marvel handles it very well, but it's not turning out as good for other studios. Sony's trying to recreate the magic of Marvel with the Amazing Spider-Man series, and many, many reviews I've seen for TASM2 are seriously turned off the by "world-building" they seem to focus on. From what I've read, it's to the point where the actual film comes off as very mediocre.

As for WB, it remains to be seen how BvS does, but they are also clearly trying to emulate Marvel's model, bringing Batman, Superman , and WW together.

I only have a problem with the world building if it gets in the way of the story, which I felt was happening with the later Phase 1 films. Since The Avengers, Marvel has gotten a lot better at having these moments without them being intrusive.

I think some people, including a lot of reviewers, hate world building as a concept. I'm not sure whether its just a manifestation of anti-genre bias, or some kind of dislike for anything in a movie that isn't the emotional travails of people, though.

Outside of Iron Man 2 I thought the phase one movies were pretty solid.

I think some people, including a lot of reviewers, hate world building as a concept. I'm not sure whether its just a manifestation of anti-genre bias, or some kind of dislike for anything in a movie that isn't the emotional travails of people, though.

I'd say it's just an excuse to bash the genre.

Most of these movies also work as stand alone films and the critics know it.

A good antidote for any RT gloom around here (only 89%? WTF is wrong with the world?) is Peter Travers' second review of CATWS. He loved the movie so much that he re-reviewed it on the second weekend. As Travers said, it's unprecedented for him to devote his weekend recap to a movie that premiered the previous weekend but he thought the film was that good. He ended his video with: "But I'm standing here right now saying, 'I'm all about Captain America.'" :awesome:

I don't think I've ever seen a respected critic more enthusiastic about a comic book film. Travers is one of the few whose writing I really like so his video was a blast for me.

Awwww Peter :)

That's really swell of him, by golly! #40'sspeak

You'd think this movie got a 62% looking at this thread. :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"