The Winter Soldier Love Interest for Captain America II - Part 1

With the information we've gotten on BW's role verses Sharon's role, it makes me think they're not completely committed to making Sharon his main love interest for the the MCU. Not just this movie but any sequels etc. And I wonder if that is due to the nature of the relationship being she's the niece of his lost love.

I have friends who aren't comic fans but enjoy the Marvel films and when explaining Sharon and Steve to them, the general feeling from them is that they think its bizarre. Maybe there's a similar feeling with TPTB at Marvel Studios and they've decided to see if the general audience accepts it. Of course ultimately the studio will do what it wants and it may not matter what anyone else thinks.

And as for the kiss. I see everyone talking about the possible context but the fact is that the writers and whoever else decided that BW/Steve would share a least 1 kiss. And regardless of the context if your male and female lead share a kiss in a movie it usually means something.

Did any of you read the latest issue of CA, it will be "controversial" to say the least.

With the information we've gotten on BW's role verses Sharon's role, it makes me think they're not completely committed to making Sharon his main love interest for the the MCU. Not just this movie but any sequels etc. And I wonder if that is due to the nature of the relationship being she's the niece of his lost love.

I have friends who aren't comic fans but enjoy the Marvel films and when explaining Sharon and Steve to them, the general feeling from them is that they think its bizarre. Maybe there's a similar feeling with TPTB at Marvel Studios and they've decided to see if the general audience accepts it. Of course ultimately the studio will do what it wants and it may not matter what anyone else thinks.

And as for the kiss. I see everyone talking about the possible context but the fact is that the writers and whoever else decided that BW/Steve would share a least 1 kiss. And regardless of the context if your male and female lead share a kiss in a movie it usually means something.

If you define her as being his old girlfriend's niece, then yeah, people are going to be wierded out. But that's not the way it would work in depiction, the story if done well could show why Steve would be attracted to Sharon and that her familial relationship is largely irrelevant. The audience would be a lot more forgiving then.

But I would agree that Marvel aren't really committed to Sharon.

I think the problem is that Sharon and Natasha are fairly similar in their skillsets. Furthermore, everything the writers said about Steve and Natasha indicates they're doing it in a manner similar to how Steve and Sharon's dynamic is depicted in the comics, but allegedly platonic.

So the problem is, when it comes time for future movies, Sharon will come off as redundant. I don't doubt that there is currently an intention to build Sharon into a leading lady in the future, but Marvel has set up storylines that failed to materialize before.

Welcome to the Hype, HamBone!

Your point about Sharon's blood relationship to Peggy is well taken. That has been discussed on the forum, with some holding that it is unsavory for Steve to romance related women and others believing that it doesn't make any difference. For me, the Steve/Peggy/Sharon triangle* has always been bizarre and far too close to something from a soap opera or an episode of Jerry Springer to be acceptable.

* Back in the day, this was an actual love triangle of sorts, with the 2 years older Peggy the perpetual sob sister on the outside looking in at Steve & Sharon.

Did any of you read the latest issue of CA, it will be "controversial" to say the least.

I haven't read the whole issue but I did see the preview. Will it be controversial? On one level it might, but in general I don't see it causing much of an uproar.

Sharon has been Steve's off-again/on-again love interest for almost 50 years, but I don't think that she is very popular. She's no MJ or even Pepper Potts. Sharon also has the baggage of having shot Steve and also recently killed his adoptive son, a move that was completely gratuitous on the writer's part. Presumably he was dirtying her up to prep for offing her. So while killing Sharon off -- unnecessarily -- could be controversial because it's another case of "fridging" the hero's girlfriend to create story for him, she probably doesn't have a lot of devoted fans who will be outraged.

Sharon's death will open the field for Steve to have new relationships, however, which is probably the point of it. One writer was playing around with pairing Steve & Wanda, or so I've read. Getting rid of fifty years of a relationship that never went anywhere makes way for better possibilities. However, the writers Marvel currently has aren't really capable of crafting an interesting relationship for Steve, IMO. He'll probably end up in bed with Zola's daughter if the past is anything to go by.

To off her like that after she'd only really been in a couple issues was just a sort of random d*** move on Remender's part to mess with CA more, even though he's already been through the ringer. I have a feeling they're going to try and force a relationship with Jett, but they'll eventually find a way to bring Sharon back in some fashion.

To off her like that after she'd only really been in a couple issues was just a sort of random d*** move on Remender's part to mess with CA more, even though he's already been through the ringer. I have a feeling they're going to try and force a relationship with Jett, but they'll eventually find a way to bring Sharon back in some fashion.

Classic fridge move. Just classic. :cmad:

Thanks for the welcome xeno000.

Isn't this the second time Sharon has been killed? I seem to recall that she was killed off years ago but they brought her back saying she wasn't really killed just captured. And while I like Sharon I don't think she's very popular either. I see more and more people hating on her. While I think we'll probably see her again a some point, it could be years before we do. Does the timing seem weird to anyone that Sharon is killed off while we are all discussing how small her role might be in the movie? Just coincidence? Is BW still with Bucky in the comics?:cwink:

Isn't this the second time Sharon has been killed? I seem to recall that she was killed off years ago but they brought her back saying she wasn't really killed just captured. And while I like Sharon I don't think she's very popular either. I see more and more people hating on her. While I think we'll probably see her again a some point, it could be years before we do. Does the timing seem weird to anyone that Sharon is killed off while we are all discussing how small her role might be in the movie? Just coincidence? Is BW still with Bucky in the comics?:cwink:
No, because she had her mind wiped of all her past history/relationships with Bucky by Leo Novokov in the Winter Soldier's first comic art in his solo series.

No, because she had her mind wiped of all her past history/relationships with Bucky by Leo Novokov in the Winter Soldier's first comic art in his solo series.

Isn't that like a sly retcon? The writers weren't allowed to retcon the relationship, so they did that instead. :oldrazz:

Isn't that like a sly retcon? The writers weren't allowed to retcon the relationship, so they did that instead. :oldrazz:
Sort of but it was more Novokov's last way to screw Bucky out of one of his only strong intimate relationships if his other plans didn't work out.

Sharon has either been killed before or just appeared to be dead. I honestly can't remember which, but whatever they did she stayed gone for years. I just checked the Marvel Wiki and read that Sharon was seemingly killed off and stayed "dead" for 16 years. So I was right, she was MIA for a long time, and that's when Steve dated Bernie Rosenthal and (stupidly) Diamondback. Why they bothered to pull the resurrection card for Sharon in the first place is a mystery. She'll probably turn up again in a few years unless the writers come up with another romantic interest for Steve.

When it comes to timing in the comics and the film universe, it's hard to say whether things are linked or not. Like you, I find Sharon's death in the comics suggestive of a move towards Natasha or another love interest in the MCU. On the other hand, many changes in the comics have nothing to do with their MCU counterparts. Age of Ultron is only giving its name to the film, not its plot. Thor was actually dead in the comics when the film Thor came out, I believe. So there isn't necessarily any correlation. But I do hope that there is in this case because I'm not keen on the Steve/Sharon relationship and would love them to drop it in the MCU. I hear that Wanda Maximoff is a nice young lady....

http://marvel.com/universe/Carter,_Sharon

Well, I hope they do stick to the Sharon/Steve relationship, as Sharon was always the best one for Steve in the comics, even though they(the writers) wouldn't let them stay together. Kind of the same thing with Pepper and Tony. In the comics, they never stayed together, but look what they've done with them in the movies so far. And with the pick of VanCamp as Sharon, I think Sharon could be a great character and love interest of Steve. I personally put VanCamp right up there with Atwell.

With everything we've heard, I feel that any potential relationship between Steve/Sharon will be overshadowed by Steve/Natasha's relationship, whether theirs is meant to be romantic or not. If Natasha is Steve's partner throughout the film and Sharon's role is less substantial...I can guess who the general audience is more likely to invest in or root for. It doesn't hurt when it's also with a character people have come to know over of course of a couple other movies. And as some others have pointed out Natasha could make Sharon seem redundant, depending on how she's written.

Is there no actual Agent 13 thread?

Anyway, there's a nice little interview with Emily Vancamp in Nylon magazine that includes a snippet from Joe Russo about why they cast her. She is definitely meant to be someone Steve takes an immediate interest in.

There's a new little interview with Scarlett Johansson about BW's relationship with Cap. I don't know...the interview definitely made it seem like there might be something romantic between them. She doesn't deny anything. You can read it here.

Yeah, Scarlett's not exactly putting the kibosh on the speculation. If anything, she's adding more fuel to the fire, this is looking more and more likely.

Yeah, Scarlett's not exactly putting the kibosh on the speculation. If anything, she's adding more fuel to the fire, this is looking more and more likely.

Indeed; hell, even before we got our first photo of the kiss that started all of this speculation regarding the nature of their relationship in this new film, I did notice a few "friendly" glances that their characters threw at each other in "The Avengers" and it seems like the two did strike up a fast trusting partnership within the film.

I just hope that Scarlett and Chris have better chemistry with each other this time around than they did in the "Nanny Diaries".

Yep.

I agree with Hambone. Even if we see Steve meeting Sharon and perhaps them flirting a little in this, it won't matter because Steve will have a much more meaningful connection to Natasha. Even if their intention is to eventually make Sharon the female lead in future movie, it seems likely given what we know that their plan is going to change.

Pretty much, if Marvel truly wants to have Sharon as Steve's future love interest, they're not really putting much effort into it. Which leads me to think of two possibilities;

a) Natasha as Steve's love interest was the plan from the start. Sharon was there as a red herring, but given how people noticed her lack of involvement and the dirth of Natasha's from set pics and so on, they're not trying to hide it as much.

b) Or they're trying to talk up Natasha and Steve's connection to set up a twist of some kind. She's most assuredly got a bigger role, but perhaps Natasha isn't as loyal a friend as one might be led to believe.

They could be setting it up like Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy, but then Mary Jane is left for later (and would originally have been introduced in a minor role in ASM2). I do hope though, now mentioning ASM2, that Emily VanCamp's role doesn't suddenly get cut in the same way as Shailene Woodley's, just to streamline the movie from any plots they deem extraneous.

They could be setting it up like Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy, but then Mary Jane is left for later (and would originally have been introduced in a minor role in ASM2). I do hope though, now mentioning ASM2, that Emily VanCamp's role doesn't suddenly get cut in the same way as Shailene Woodley's, just to streamline the movie from any plots they deem extraneous.

At this point, it would be bad press for the film to suddenly cut Sharon out of the film, especially with Emily having made some press rounds in promoting the character which Shailene never really got to do as much before she was cut from the film.

The Gwen-MJ analogy is the most likely one, imho. I keep going back to the love triangle, which I know some of you don't like, but it's definitely a tried and true selling point for just about any movie. And if Sharon gets the white jumpsuit, with Widow still in the black one, the symbolism is blatant enough for even the youngest child to understand. Steve has to choose between good girl and bad girl....probably making his final choice in AoU.

I don't think there's a problem with Cap taking up with Sharon.She's Peggy's grand-niece for heaven's sake.By all rights,Peggy shouldn't even be alive at this point.(She's probably early 90s,I believe?) It's not like Peggy is only a dozen or so years older than Sharon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"