Changes you WANT to see. (Book Spoilers)

Infinity9999x

Avenger
Reaction score
Hello all. So, we've all spent a lot of time decrying all the changes we didn't like in this show that they've already done, so how about we talk about the changes we'd LIKE to see them make in the future?

I know I personally wouldn't mind a good chunk of Book 4 to be trimmed down. Particularly the Cersei scenes in Kings Landing.

What other things do people want to see changed/tweaked?

I'd like to see the Sand Snakes' roles getting beefed up. I felt, reading book four, that one of these should've been our Dorne POV. Jaime's plot being focused on the Brotherhood Without Banners terrorizing the Riverlands would be a welcome change as well. Changing the political intrigues of Meereen to flesh out the Red Priests, maybe using Benerro here (since he was stirring up the worshipers in Volantis).

I'd like to see the Sand Snakes' roles getting beefed up. I felt, reading book four, that one of these should've been our Dorne POV. Jaime's plot being focused on the Brotherhood Without Banners terrorizing the Riverlands would be a welcome change as well. Changing the political intrigues of Meereen to flesh out the Red Priests, maybe using Benerro here (since he was stirring up the worshipers in Volantis).

The Sand Snakes are a great point. They were one of the new additions that I wanted to read more about. I actually wouldn't mind beefing up their role and cutting out other Dornish side plots...like Quentyn Martell. I didn't really see the need for Quentyn to be there at all, unless his actions come into play later down the line in terms of Dorne's view of Danny.

Even if Quentyn is necessary, I think he could've been done in one chapter. Maybe two if George has big plans for the Tattered Prince.

Easily. If his actions don't end up committing much to the actual story aside from [BLACKOUT]Freeing the Dragons[/BLACKOUT] though, I think he could easily be cut from the show.

I also wouldn't mind Jamie focusing on the BWOB. Though I do wonder if there's anything to be said to people speculating that LS could be cut from the show. I think it's too early to tell yet, but I could see it happening if she doesn't end up influencing the overall narrative in some way, and she really hasn't as of yet. And I won't lie, if she ends up killing Jamie in the books, I will be extremely pissed that she was brought back at all. There is something to be said about how bringing her back kind of undercuts the events of the Red Wedding.

Easily. If his actions don't end up committing much to the actual story aside from [BLACKOUT]Freeing the Dragons[/BLACKOUT] though, I think he could easily be cut from the show.

I also wouldn't mind Jamie focusing on the BWOB. Though I do wonder if there's anything to be said to people speculating that LS could be cut from the show. I think it's too early to tell yet, but I could see it happening if she doesn't end up influencing the overall narrative in some way, and she really hasn't as of yet. And I won't lie, if she ends up killing Jamie in the books, I will be extremely pissed that she was brought back at all. There is something to be said about how bringing her back kind of undercuts the events of the Red Wedding.

The thing is, even if she murders Jaime, it's justified. Jaime's gone through a change for the better, but that can never take away the fact that he attempted to murder her 2nd youngest son by dropping him from a height. A child. He needs to answer for that, and the only reason he hasn't was because he was needed for bargaining. In LS' eyes, not only is that bargaining no longer on the table, it was reneged upon in the most horrific way imaginable e.g. Red Wedding and her daughters presumed dead.

I would be annoyed if they do cut [blackout]Lady Stoneheart[/blackout] because it would pretty much confirm that she wasn't going to be important to the story. As far as I know, the show has only cut things out because they haven't been too important to the series of events.

I wouldn't mind if Quentyn and Aeron were cut. Another minor thing I think they'll change is that when (ADWD spoilers) [BLACKOUT]Drogon comes and attacks Daznak's Pit and Daenerys escapes on him, he'll do it whilst Tyrion and Penny are performing. I don't think the writers would miss a chance to have two such pivotal characters almost nearly meet like that.[/BLACKOUT]

If D&D are following a pattern of keeping key players, I don't think we'll lose Aeron, [blackout]as GRRM has said that he has an important role in the upcoming books.[/blackout] They might just trim the fat from the Kingsmoot so that the audience gets a sufficient introduction to the Greyjoy brothers.

You guys mean Aegon right? Anyway, I doubt they will cut him out. He'll likely have a rather large role.

You guys mean Aegon right? Anyway, I doubt they will cut him out. He'll likely have a rather large role.

They're talking about Aeron Greyjoy, also known as Damphair. He's Victarion and Euron's brother.

The thing is, even if she murders Jaime, it's justified. Jaime's gone through a change for the better, but that can never take away the fact that he attempted to murder her 2nd youngest son by dropping him from a height. A child. He needs to answer for that, and the only reason he hasn't was because he was needed for bargaining. In LS' eyes, not only is that bargaining no longer on the table, it was reneged upon in the most horrific way imaginable e.g. Red Wedding and her daughters presumed dead.

This. As much as Jaime's grown on me after his maiming, the one thing I've never been able to forgive him for is pushing Bran out of that tower.

They're talking about Aeron Greyjoy, also known as Damphair. He's Victarion and Euron's brother.

Ah, gotcha. Didn't catch the mention of the Kingsmoot which should have keyed me on the Greyjoys.

Ah, gotcha. Didn't catch the mention of the Kingsmoot which should have keyed me on the Greyjoys.

Yeah, the books kind of have a problem with similar names. Osha/Asha, and Aeron/Aegon. There was the drowned priest who baptized Theon in season two of the show, but they never named him as Aeron. I wonder if they're going to change his name for the show, like they did Asha/Yara.

Give Victarion Greyjoy a beard. :b

If D&D are following a pattern of keeping key players, I don't think we'll lose Aeron, [blackout]as GRRM has said that he has an important role in the upcoming books.[/blackout] They might just trim the fat from the Kingsmoot so that the audience gets a sufficient introduction to the Greyjoy brothers.

Really? Hmm, maybe he will be kept then. He just was very boring and 'there' in AFFC.

Also, should we have to use spoiler tags for this thread? The purpose is to discuss future show events and how they can be changed and potentially made better for the format, so any Unsullied viewer who comes in here and sees a great whopping spoiler can't complain about us being unfair or whatever.

Fair enough. You think D&D will tease the audience with similarities between the Greyjoy words and the White Walkers? A wild bit of speculation on my part is that Aeron is inadvertently creating sleeper agents for the White Walkers...allowing Euron to become a hero to southern Westeros by opposing the brother whom he despises.

This. As much as Jaime's grown on me after his maiming, the one thing I've never been able to forgive him for is pushing Bran out of that tower.

This is a good point. Though I always viewed his maiming and subsequent misfortunes as the karma that came back on him for pushing a kid out a window. And I think part of it is that I can't help but be annoyed at Cat for becoming a revenge driven crazy woman. Cat in the books in general is far less likeable as a character than she was portrayed in the show.

Another thing I was wondering, with them confirming that The Mountain is Robert Strong (something that was only strongly hinted at in the books, not confirmed) do you think they'll cut out the mystery of the Hound/Gravedigger situation? The show has done away with many of those small mysteries in order to simplify things for the TV audience (telling us straight off that Gregor is going to survive, not bothering with Barristan in disguise, ect). So I'm wondering if they'll just out and show us the Hound being alive. I know some are still on the fence as to if the gravedigger is the Hound, but at this point, I would be extremely surprised if he wasn't. And hasn't GRRM hinted that the "Cleganebowl" will still happen?

Personally, I'd want Oberyn to live hehe. But still find a way to make Tyrion "guilty".

Really? Hmm, maybe he will be kept then. He just was very boring and 'there' in AFFC.

Also, should we have to use spoiler tags for this thread? The purpose is to discuss future show events and how they can be changed and potentially made better for the format, so any Unsullied viewer who comes in here and sees a great whopping spoiler can't complain about us being unfair or whatever.

Some of the stuff in the WoW sample chapters make small mentions of increased Kraken attacks slowly moving down the Narrow Sea and towards the west. It sounded very ominous when mentioned, plus the stuff Axell Florent said in ASOS about the horn belonging to Lord Celtigar that could summon Krakens....I think it's quite possible that Aeron might be exploring some of the more Drowned God side of magic, perhaps summoning creatures from the deep in order to get revenge on Euron.

That would be so awesome if on top of dragons, snow monsters and zombies, we get krakens and sea monsters :hubba

I've been thinking about the changes i'd like to see, it's really hard to think what could had been better, but here's one thing: Martin originally planned a 5 year time skip, with adult Arya Stark, Jon Snow, etc.

So here's the change i wouldn't want to see: Jon Snow, Bran Stark, Arya Stark, Daenerys, Young Griffon, Arianne Martell, Podric Payne, etc being far more experienced players then what they are in the books.

Some of the stuff in the WoW sample chapters make small mentions of increased Kraken attacks slowly moving down the Narrow Sea and towards the west. It sounded very ominous when mentioned, plus the stuff Axell Florent said in ASOS about the horn belonging to Lord Celtigar that could summon Krakens....I think it's quite possible that Aeron might be exploring some of the more Drowned God side of magic, perhaps summoning creatures from the deep in order to get revenge on Euron.

That would be pretty cool. And a way to make the Greyjoy stuff a bit more interesting. I won't lie, all the Kingsmoot stuff in book 4 had me going "I DON'T CARE. WHERE'S TYRION!?" I mean, don't get me wrong, Victarion had some badass moments, but because so much of it didn't seem to be adding to the overall narrative in a very big way, I just wasn't very interested.

That's one thing overall I'd like to see while they adapt books 4 and 5. There's a lot of fat they can slice off in both of those novels. Vicatrion has some cool moments, but so far, the only thing that seems to be necessary to the overall through line of the entire series is that he's sailing towards Danny with the horn. And it's similar with many other characters. There's interesting events that surround them, but when you really boil it down to the nitty gritty, the major things we really need to know about them is fairly small (in reference to books 4 and 5).

Wait, I thought the Karken's were just myths? Like, ACTUAL myths?

Varys outright confirms that they exist and have been attacking ships in ASOS during w council meeting with Tyrion and Tywin.

That would be pretty cool. And a way to make the Greyjoy stuff a bit more interesting. I won't lie, all the Kingsmoot stuff in book 4 had me going "I DON'T CARE. WHERE'S TYRION!?" I mean, don't get me wrong, Victarion had some badass moments, but because so much of it didn't seem to be adding to the overall narrative in a very big way, I just wasn't very interested.

That's one thing overall I'd like to see while they adapt books 4 and 5. There's a lot of fat they can slice off in both of those novels. Vicatrion has some cool moments, but so far, the only thing that seems to be necessary to the overall through line of the entire series is that he's sailing towards Danny with the horn. And it's similar with many other characters. There's interesting events that surround them, but when you really boil it down to the nitty gritty, the major things we really need to know about them is fairly small (in reference to books 4 and 5).

Well, it seems pretty clear that out of all the current human antagonists, Euron is very likely to be the most dangerous of them all, given his connections to the Undying and the various prophets in Essos warning of "A tall and twisted thing with one black eye and ten long arms, sailing on a sea of blood." and Dany's dreams of a man with blue lips and a cold kiss.

And I think that Victarion serves a greater purpose too beyond bringing Dany back to Westeros, as a thematic opposite and enemy to his brother and what is likely our first POV of a (fire) Wight. All three of them represent a magical force in the world. I think they're probably more important than the Martells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"