Choose a Jim; Jeffery Wright vs Gary Oldman

Spider-Aziz

Dummy Dragon Holo
Reaction score
Both are awesome, this is why I keep the poll exclusive to these two.
J.K. Simmons could have been good, but all I have about him is a maybe.
Pat Hingle portrayed an underwhelming version for the most part.

Gary Oldman easily, for me. The journey we went on with his character was just incredible. He also felt very layered, and while Jeffrey Wright does a great job, I don't think he's given a very 3 dimensional role.

for me, it's currently tied, but Wright will probably surpass Oldman after the sequel.

It's a tough call. Oldman's Gordon felt like a more fleshed out character that you had an emotional connection to, particularly in TDK and TDKR, but Wright's Gordon has better chemistry with his Batman to the point where you feel like they're actually partners.

Oldman. But I’m basing that on his three appearances to Wright’s one. Jeff could easily end up surpassing Gary for me, at some point.

Wright's Gordon is one of the biggest faults this movie has. He's great as the Watson to Batman's Holmes, with some of the funniest bits in the film, and it was great to see them both working together as partners. But that's all he is. There is no interior depth or emotional arc to him at all, and it's a shame especially when you have such an amazing actor like Wright in the role. Before Oldman Gordon was never a real character on screen, and now post-Oldman you can't really get away with not portraying him three-dimensionally.

Oldman by default of the dude going through a pretty major 3 movie character arc while Wright's more akin to Batman's Watson, as Brother Jack said.

I do think Wright can be on par with him, though. He just needs...well, more movies.

Oldman in Batman Begins, while more nuanced than Wright is, wasn't that much more nuanced imo. He was basically just "uh yeah this vigilante gud" and one liners the character. It was only in TDK and especially TDKR where he came more into his own. Wright's definitely got the potential to do the same.

I'd take both anyday, i was really entertained watching Wright on screen and has a lot of room to grow in the sequels

Last edited:
It seems a little unfair to pit Wright's one performance against Oldman's three.

But saying that even if we were doing it based strictly on him in Batman Begins I'd still lean towards Oldman. He's the perfect Gordon and I enjoyed seeing the beginnings of the Batman Gordon/relationship develop into what it was.

Oldman by default of the dude going through a pretty major 3 movie character arc while Wright's more akin to Batman's Watson, as Brother Jack said.

I do think Wright can be on par with him, though. He just needs...well, more movies.

Oldman in Batman Begins, while more nuanced than Wright is, wasn't that much more nuanced imo. He was basically just "uh yeah this vigilante gud" and one liners the character. It was only in TDK and especially TDKR where he came more into his own. Wright's definitely got the potential to do the same.
But in BB we saw more of his principles, like when he conforts little Bruce, his concerns about Flass and the cops, etc. TDK and Rises expanded the character greatly, without a doubt.
Pretty sure Wright's Gordon will come close, as someone said, his chemistry with Pattinson was excellent.

I agree with Joker. Even if you limit Oldman to Just Batman Begins, he still edges out Wright. The first meeting between Batman and Gordon in Begins where he holds a stapler to Jim’s head is better than any Gordon scene in TB.

But in BB we saw more of his principles, like when he conforts little Bruce, his concerns about Flass and the cops, etc. TDK and Rises expanded the character greatly, without a doubt.
Pretty sure Wright's Gordon will come close, as someone said, his chemistry with Pattinson was excellent.

Yeah, he still is more nuanced. But honestly I feel like a lot of that just comes from Oldman being more of a focus. The latter half of the movie is literally Nolan taking the Jim/Batman dynamic of Year One and adding his own spin to it. Wright, on the other hand, we only see on the job. So a lack of nuance is par for the course in that scenario. Hopefully Wright will get more of a spotlight somewhere.

Gary Oldman had zero agency or realtionship with the GCPD in begins he also has no arc.

If we're talking strictly Begins and The Batman Jeffrey Wright stomp's.

More human more complex better realtionship with Batman and better growth and more entertaining performance and much better interactions with his fellow cops.

Jeffrey Wright was 3 dimensional human being in The Batman.

Garry Oldman didn't become that until Knight and Rises.

Oldman 100%. Wright was good but I felt the writing of his character wasn't that strong in the film. Hopefully we'll see more layers of him in the sequels.

Oldman has the benefit of one thing: Nolan’s interest in telling the story through the point of view of multiple characters. We walk through each of those stories, sometimes from the perspective of Jim Gordon, sometimes it’s Bruce Wayne, other times it’s Alfred, Harvey, Blake, Selina, Lucius. The Batman is more driven by Bruce/Batman than any other character. So Gary’s character is more fleshed out.

But if we’re talking about performance, I prefer Wright’s gravitas to the nervous nelly stress head that was Oldman. When I was watching the trilogy again in early March, I kept noticing how every film had quite a few moments where I just couldn’t understand what Gary was saying. What’s coming out of his mouth sometimes doesn’t even match the screenplay/subtitles lol. It’s like he can’t speak English lmfao “you’re tellin me the Batman have gone” umm what?

Oldman has the benefit of one thing: Nolan’s interest in telling the story through the point of view of multiple characters. We walk through each of those stories, sometimes from the perspective of Jim Gordon, sometimes it’s Bruce Wayne, other times it’s Alfred, Harvey, Blake, Selina, Lucius. The Batman is more driven by Bruce/Batman than any other character. So Gary’s character is more fleshed out.

But if we’re talking about performance, I prefer Wright’s gravitas to the nervous nelly stress head that was Oldman. When I was watching the trilogy again in early March, I kept noticing how every film had quite a few moments where I just couldn’t understand what Gary was saying. What’s coming out of his mouth sometimes doesn’t even match the screenplay/subtitles lol. It’s like he can’t speak English lmfao “you’re tellin me the Batman have gone” umm what?

I think Gary Oldman performance fit the fast paced stressful vibe of the dark knight trilogy personally.

My only problem comes from his character not trying to route out the corruption in his police force.

Yeah Two Face was out of line trying to kill Gordon's kid but he was right about Jim Gordon being the reason Rachel died.

Jim Gordon willingly worked with corrupt cop's out of laziness.

I think Gary Oldman performance fit the fast paced stressful vibe of the dark knight trilogy personally.

My only problem comes from his character not trying to route out the corruption in his police force.

Yeah Two Face was out of line trying to kill Gordon's kid but he was right about Jim Gordon being the reason Rachel died.

Jim Gordon willingly worked with corrupt cop's out of laziness.

He didn't willingly work with them. He had no choice. Gotham was so corrupt that Falcone could have murdered Bruce Wayne in front of a Judge, union official, off duty Cops and gotten away with it.

What do you think Jim Gordon is going to do root out the corruption in the Police force when the corruption reaches that far?

"In a town this bent who is there to rat to".

It's hard to judge when Wright's Gordon isnt even commissioner yet. I liked different take to Oldman's Gordon. While it feels they are partners, dynamic in sequel could somewhat change. Because Gordon will get helluva lot more responsibility cleaning GCPD in coming years and likely dealing with events and nature of characters like Joker in future. Which means Gotham City beyond regular crime stuff we saw in first movie will become alot more messy.

He didn't willingly work with them. He had no choice. Gotham was so corrupt that Falcone could have murdered Bruce Wayne in front of a Judge, union official, off duty Cops and gotten away with it.

What do you think Jim Gordon is going to do root out the corruption in the Police force when the corruption reaches that far?

"In a town this bent who is there to rat to".

I think it works in begins but dark knight the mob was basically finished.

They had them on the defense.

And he becomes comminshor with the full approval of the mayor who's also trying to help Gotham.

In all the movies that was the perfect opportunity for Gordon to take out the trash and replace them with better people.

I don't buy that Jim wouldn't do that.

Batman isn't inside the police so nothing he can do but Jim is and has more power thanks to his new rank.

It just felt out of character to me.

His family would have been safer as well with corrupt cop's out of the way

And it made Harvey seem less delusional and more justified in his anger at Gordon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"