Colin Farrell IS The Penguin

I wonder if Penguin will Absorb the 44 Below or if he'll move his operations entirely since so much heat was on it.

How did everyone feel about the Iceberg Longue BTW? We've have 4 live action Penguins and this is only our second version of it.

Well bear in mind the Iceberg Lounge was not even created until 1995. Penguin's spent the majority of his existence as a flamboyant criminal. It was non existent when Burgess Meredith and Danny DeVito did the role.

I hope they improve the Iceberg Lounge in the sequel because in the comics it was always a classy establishment. Polished and elegant. Even though it was a nest of criminal activity, Penguin always gave the facade of a well to do place because that's his image.

In this movie it looked like a seedy underground dive.

MVP of the villains for me. Farrell was fantastic in every second he was on screen. Scene stealer.

I have to agree. I've been waiting forever (no pun intended) to see and updated take on the Riddler as he's one of my favorites and I think Reeves/Dano did a good job but Farrell's Penguin (like Murphy's Scarecrow) really left me wanting to see more. Really solid and memorable performance.

He really was fantastic. Unrecognizable in terms of both appearance and performance. Also funny how they found ways to put him in situations where he literally looked like a Penguin lol.

Anything from the lore they can fit in and make work is a bonus IMO (would love an umbrella gun). If Reeves and co don’t fancy those things then fair enough but I would eventually love to see the top hat and monocle too if they think they would fit.

I loved it! I do think it'll end up changing over time, especially now that Penguins rise to power is gonna be full steam ahead. Also some great music in there as well. Can never go wrong with some cool EDM. :D

Also, anybody else laugh when Penguin was like "what are ya showing me?!!"? hahaha it reminded me of a scene with DeNiro from Raging Bull.

Also, anybody else laugh when Penguin was like "what are ya showing me?!!"? hahaha it reminded me of a scene with DeNiro from Raging Bull.

I thought it was funny to see his reaction to the morgue photo

"HEY! C'mon! What are you doing huh?!?"

I do see some people lambasting that part because some thought Farrell was just mashing all the mob movies Deniro did for his performance.

The Oswald character was a montage of Robert De Niro's best mafia characters combine, not even REMOTELY the character of the Penguin. A real joke of a character and was treated like one, probably the only comic relief of the movie.

I hope they improve the Iceberg Lounge in the sequel because in the comics it was always a classy establishment. Polished and elegant. Even though it was a nest of criminal activity, Penguin always gave the facade of a well to do place because that's his image.

In this movie it looked like a seedy underground dive.

I think that's more likely now that Penguin has taken over. I can see him putting his own personal stamp on it.

I thought it was funny to see his reaction to the morgue photo

"HEY! C'mon! What are you doing huh?!?"

I do see some people lambasting that part because some thought Farrell was just mashing all the mob movies Deniro did for his performance.
haha i thought it was amazing and hilarious. There was little things Farrell did that are just *chefs kiss*. Even earlier on in the film in the Iceberg lounge when he's talking to Batman and they are looking at photos. He's like "oh **** it is, look at that!". Farrell killed it!

Last edited:
thought colin was great in this.

the voice, the physicality of the acting, he was the comic book penguin brought to life here. but modernized.

i liked how they made him this sort of al capone-ish / tony montana like character.

also when he says "i'm just a proprietor" when batman interrogates him about the photos of the mayor.

it's such a penguin thing to say.

i do hope he transforms the iceberg lounge into more fancy digs in the sequel though.

2nd viewing only made me adore his portrayal even more. his every line, movement and expression is gold.

There’s a lot of DeNiro and Gandolfini and Hoskins in his performance. But I’d like to point out another. There’s an expression that Colin gives when he looks at Batman in the Iceberg Lounge and says “what? Too soon?” it was PURE Joe Pesci. Just in that one moment. It had me thinking of a 90’s Batman movie where Joe could have easily nailed this gangster Penguin. Add Frank Vincent as Carmine Falcone in those days and you got yourself some classic ****.

There’s a lot of DeNiro and Gandolfini and Hoskins in his performance. But I’d like to point out another. There’s an expression that Colin gives when he looks at Batman in the Iceberg Lounge and says “what? Too soon?” it was PURE Joe Pesci. Just in that one moment. It had me thinking of a 90’s Batman movie where Joe could have easily nailed this gangster Penguin. Add Frank Vincent as Carmine Falcone in those days and you got yourself some classic ****.
Bob Hoskins in "The Long Good Friday"

GettyImagesx-1392373529-H-2022.jpg

johnny depp as maroni. :funny:

I started watching The North Water a while back and then got distracted midway through the first ep, decided to continue on over the weekend there. Wow, Colin Farrell is amazing in it - he grew out his beard, put on weight for the role, changed his whole demeanour and voice - genuinely very intimidating in it. Every bit as effective a transformation as what he did for The Batman. Well worth a watch! The North Water (TV Mini Series 2021) - IMDb

14northwater-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"