The Rise of Skywalker Colin Trevorrow No Longer Directing Star Wars Episode IX

Star Wars: Episode IX To Be Shot On 65mm

The Star Wars movie universe continues to expand with Rogue One: A Star Wars story hitting theaters soon, and Rian Johnson's Star Wars: Episode VIII coming around the same time next year. Jurassic World director Colin Trevorrow is directing Episode IX, and today we learn more about his planned technical specs for the film..

The Playlist cites a recent announcement by Kodak about its UK facilities now being 65mm capable. The company has a list of movies that it will be handling at these facilities, and one of them (obviously) is Star Wars: Episode IX.

star-wars-episode-9-shot-on-65mm-film-210791.jpg

For comparison:

• Star Wars: The Force Awakens was also shot on 65mm Kodak film.
  • Star Wars: Episode VIII will be shot on 35mm film, as director Rian Johnson needs it that way for what he has planned.
  • Rogue One will be 65mm with 6Kresolution (nice).

So, it seems that Disney is definitely following a format plan for their big Star Wars films - and probably helping Kodak continue to climb from its near-collapse in the early 2010s. Since few fans have complained about the visual scope and splendor of these new Star Wars films, it all seems like a win-win to us.

It does beg the question though: what is Rian Johnson doing with Episode VIII that requires him to use 35mm?

Rouge One: A Star Wars Story will be in theaters on December 16, 2016. Star Wars: Episode VIII will be in theaters on December 15, 2017. The Han Solo Standalone Film will be released on May 25, 2018. Star Wars: Episode IX will be in theaters on May 23, 2019.

http://comicbook.com/2016/11/11/star-wars-episode-9-65-mm-film-showings/

I really hope he doesn't write/direct this film anywhere near the way handled Jurassic World.

I would rather have Matt Reeves, but here we are.

I hope that Rian, JJ, and Kathy can help out with the whole process. I think with JW, while entertaining, failed to live up to what Colin sorta promised - the spirt of Jurassic Park.

I'm curious about Colin's next film 'Book of Henry'. Very curious.

^ Yeah, I was hunting for information on that just last night. Not much out there-- A synopsis, two stills and a poster. Seems to be tonally similar to Safety Not Guaranteed, but that's pure conjecture.

Rumor was on Variety that it was getting really good buzz, and likely would be an academy award contender. I am interested in seeing it.

I really liked Safety Not Guaranteed, but Star Wars is far too different too compare. My main issue with Jurassic World, aside from terrible acting and characters was that there were too many homages thrown in. An easter egg here and there is nice, but this was so in your face that it felt less like a thank you to fans and more like REMEMBER THIS?!?!??!

Trevorrow seems to learn from mistakes, and he's working in tandem with Kathy Kennedy and Rian Johnson to ensure a smooth transition for Episode IX. He is not going to veer off like he did with JW, tonally and visually.

I see people complaining about "why is John Schwarzman the DP?" 1) he's worked with Trevorrow on JW and Henry, 2) he's a big film proponent (and likely pushed for 65mm), 3) he will keep the tone and lighting similar to what Dan Mindel and Steve Yedlin did.

I'd bet Trevorrow is in a bit of a panic now though. Given recent information with how potentially large Leia's role was to be in IX, while I imagine Disney is making the big decisions, he's really worried about what to do with the script as of now.

The amount time to adjust Episode IX is huge at this point. Losing Carrie was a blow to Lucasfilm, the fans and the teams making these films but there is more than enough wiggle room for the them to change course.

It makes me even less confident about the transition to no Leia with Trevorrow. I really hope it's true he learns from mistakes.

I never liked him directing this movie. Jurassic world was horrible and according to the reviews for his new movie it sucks also

One rotten small film isnt a legitimate reason to fire him. And it definitely doesnt make him comparable to that dumpster fire Trank.
I saw JW. They should fire him, now.

Never like Trevorrow for this, and I say that as someone who likes Jurassic World as stupid entertainment. Something about the guy rubs me the wrong way. He almost has an air of pretentiousness about him. Plus he still has his hands all over the Jurassic World franchise, which has diminished my excitement for the sequel despite JA Bayona's involvement.

I doubt Disney fires him though. Trank didn't get the axe because of one bad movie. He got axed because the guy was a behind-the-scenes nightmare. The situations aren't comparable. Besides, if Trevorrow delivers an Episode IX that doesn't please the suits, we know that Disney isn't averse to extensive reshoots.

My favorite "Tumblrina" wrote a great piece on Trevorrow's treatment of female characters in Jurrasic World and Home Base and concerns for him writing and directing Rey/ Leia's departure in IX, for anyone interested.

Colin has to answer to Kathy Kennedy, and the rest of Lucasfilm (And I assume Rian Johnson and JJ Abrams too).

I think Episode 9 might be Collin's best film because of the shoulders looking over him. But then again, Jurassic World really made me upset in a weird way.

Colin has to answer to Kathy Kennedy, and the rest of Lucasfilm (And I assume Rian Johnson and JJ Abrams too).

I think Episode 9 might be Collin's best film because of the shoulders looking over him. But then again, Jurassic World really made me upset in a weird way.

Wow Octoberist I have not seen you around in a while!

Yeah, but Universal...eh they don't have their ducks in a row at all it seems what they did with The Mummy...Yeesh. I think Kathy is a stronger manager.

Without a doubt this will be the one with most concern. I’m not trying to act like that’s not the case. I’ve seen many bring up worries now. There is no denying no matter what Colin has to up his game a lot with this film. But I truly think with this studio, the story group now in place and their lessons learned from Rogue One I hope they take precautions. Yes it would be nice just to have a director that won’t be micromanaged but it is what it is. This last film of his was done last year, so I'm sure Kathy saw it then, if she really was seriously concerned after what happened with Rogue One I think she would have already gotten rid of him.

I think we will be in good hands though. I bet money they learned from what happened with Rogue One I hear some talking like they are planning for re-shoots extensively already. Trust me no studio wants that it costs money. And if I can understand that I'm sure someone as intelligent as Kathy saw that last year.

Colin and Derek have been working on this script for 2 years now. It will be 2.5 years by the time cameras roll. I truly believe this time they will make sure the script is in tip-top shape. That was really one of the biggest issues with Rogue One it went through 2 different writers, and a re-write by McQuarrie last minute before filming and then Tony’s further re-writes. So far we have not heard of anything like that with IX.

I have a feeling Kathy and co. know that the main thing they need to do is avoid re-shoots and just have it well thought out prior to shooting. Unlike Rian and JJ I’m sure they are going to be keeping close tabs on him and making sure it’s what they want. That’s not a bad thing though, I mean 99% of TV is made in a collaborative efforts. That’s kind of what cinematic universes are going toward now. And SW is no stranger to massive collaboration. With Rian and JJ clearly involved with this one from Colin’s own mouth I hope as producers they stay involved. I'm sure Kathy will be more careful in the future with who she gets in the future, but I think after Rogue One they are probably making sure they don't get to the point of having to do re-shoots and trying to Frankenstein it together.

I will be more hesitant with this one more,where as with TFA, and TLJ I really had little to no concern, but that’s okay, if TLJ is all it’s supposed to be I will still be jacked for IX. Don't mess this up!

Solidus, were you the one who said they were holding off the Book of Henry because it was so good? Or at least agreed with such reports? Damage control. :o

I like how you think Colin can write a great script, with even 10 years. The problem here isn't time, its taste and talent. That he doesn't have very much apparently. Which means when he is filming scenes, no script, one he is writing by the way, is going to save him. The story group and Kathy can't make great movies. If they could, they'd be doing it themselves. They hire directors and writers for a reason.

Also , this movie shouldn't be merely good, it should be great. That isn't happening if they are cobbling this thing together. How many great films come from mediocre to bad directors?

Last edited:
Solidus, were you the one who said they were holding off the Book of Henry because it was so good? Or at least agreed with such reports? Damage control. :o

I like how you think Colin can write a great script, with even 10 years. The problem here isn't time, its taste and talent. That he doesn't have very much apparently. Which means when he is filming scenes, no script, one he is writing by the way, is going to save him. The story group and Kathy can't make great movies. If they could, they'd be doing it themselves. They hire directors and writers for a reason.

Also , this movie shouldn't be merely good, it should be great. That isn't happening if they are cobbling this thing together. How many great films come from mediocre to bad directors?

Hey I'm an optimist at heart. I said they may be holding it off for that reason, and was basing that off of Variety's rumblings the film was really good. (They lied to me!) :cmad:

I have no idea if Colin can pull this off or not. I don't know if I would say that the story group cannot help with it, I figure though they can help guide and polish. Yes they hire writers/directors for a reason, but if it does backfire see the story-group and the machine of LFL being somewhat of the back-up. I agree this movie should be great, and it very well could be. I never said they are cobbling it together, I said they probably want to avoid that. I think the story group can help guide, and is more of a safety net.

I'm sure this is more of a nuanced issue, and circumstance then even I'm suggesting not black and white. But, I can't see into the future yet, so I will be hopeful they can pull it off.

Hey I'm an optimist at heart. I said they may be holding it off for that reason, and was basing that off of Variety's rumblings the film was really good. (They lied to me!) :cmad:

I have no idea if Colin can pull this off or not. I don't know if I would say that the story group cannot help with it, I figure though they can help guide and polish. Yes they hire writers/directors for a reason, but if it does backfire see the story-group and the machine of LFL being somewhat of the back-up. I agree this movie should be great, and it very well could be. I never said they are cobbling it together, I said they probably want to avoid that. I think the story group can help guide, and is more of a safety net.

I'm sure this is more of a nuanced issue, and circumstance then even I'm suggesting not black and white. But, I can't see into the future yet, so I will be hopeful they can pull it off.
If you have a story group helping to write a script, that is something cobbled together. That is too many different POVs, too many cooks, for one script. That is how things like the Mummy happen.

Again, I like Rogue One. But this is why it has odd tonal shifts and scenes that feel dropped in. Why it lacks the character work and cohesion of TFA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"