Dan Trachtenberg’s Predator film ‘Prey’

Loving all the artwork and stuff from this film, I hope if we ever do get like a physical edition of this released there's some sort of special edition with all this extra material with it or booklet with a lot of the art of Prey.

I don't like this concept because it waters down the Predator too much to something that was easily captured enough to be put into slave fights. The whole point of the Predator is it's got an unfair advantage with it's technology and sheer strength. Hobbling it to make a Gladiator style movie doesn't work.

My wife and I just watched it. Great damn movie. While I never absolutely hated any of the previous Predator films (AvP:Requium....you missed me hating you by a millimeter) it was better than all but Arnold's in my opinion.

Prey Director Reveals Jackie Chan's Influence on Predator Movie

Speaking an interview with The Filmcast, Trachtenberg spoke at length about casting actress Amber Midthunder for the film's lead role and how he made her watch a lot of movies featuring the Hong Kong martial artist and film superstar, specifically with how he carries himself physically and helps communicate key pieces of information about his characters without saying a word.

"We referenced a lot of Jackie Chan," Trachtenberg revealed. "I've definitely felt very uncomfortable every time I brought it up, because she was like, 'Why are we still talking about Jackie Chan?' I just kept making her watch the movies. The thing I kept on showing her--do you remember in Armour of God, he's chewing on gum and he throws the gum against the back and it bounces back into his mouth? And it's like, 'Oh yeah, this guy's like, cool and he's capable of things.' It was such a challenge with her to find a way in which you believe that she's not a zero, she's not the nerd who becomes the hero. She's starting at a place where there is physical competence, but she is not all the way there. She's got to earn her stress she's got to earn her stripes, she's got to go through some sh-t."

He continued, "So for me it was like how can there be just something in her physicality that feels like she does feel there is a capability but that isn't like 'I'm the most badass that ever badass.' So it's in the little touches of like she flips the tomahawk up and cuts, that was kind of the main Jackie Chan influences. That and her sliding down the mountain and kicking off. So even in little moments there's just a little bit of swashbuckle to it that you just believe her physical center. So that was the whole point of me making her watch a million Jackie Chan movies was just like those two things."

Trachtenberg also noted that using Chan as an influence on the movie was him "throwing down the gauntlet" for his lead actress, challenging her to do the movements and physicality on set so that it could be seen on camera that it was her and not a stunt double. Chan's influence did present a unique problem though, because the film couldn't really depict traditional martial arts moves without standing out from the rest of its authenticity to the region and time.

I don't like this concept because it waters down the Predator too much to something that was easily captured enough to be put into slave fights. The whole point of the Predator is it's got an unfair advantage with it's technology and sheer strength. Hobbling it to make a Gladiator style movie doesn't work.

I mean i get the idea and it might be able to work with a young predator...and when you think about it, we as humans managed to outsmart far stronger and faster animals for centuries.
But yeah, while i get the idea...i dont like it.
I rather have a predator be the monster...when it comes to humans.

I could see something like this work in outerspace where other species are, but when it comes to earth and humans, i want the predator to be the Hunter.

God, this BTS stuff makes me love the movie even more...so much cool things.
I just love to see how this or that is done, how it evolved during production...the more the better.
I could watch 2-3 Hour documentaries just how a movie like this is made.

a8b157f7f52c61ed304e6e27c902813edbcacb62.gifv

e96feb71bb02d8e120b17557995d8a142b3f660d.gifv

6cf32eee705e2b38503cb7bfd5c0600e66720173.gifv

c7a8a827edf0980f88ab18ee8fe21a67661dc8ff.gifv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"