Dan Trachtenberg’s Predator film ‘Prey’

Would anyone want to see a film where the Predator wins? As great as this movie is, another one where the hero slowly figures out how to become invisible to it, and then beats it in the third act will be repetitive, regardless of the time period it’s set in.

I think this is where I kind of wish they would have forged ahead with the Predators concept. Mankind was basically stuck in the middle of this tribal war. Unfortunately that movie went too far into homage at the end with the human defeating the Pred but Predators hunting other species as well as humans would have made for some interesting opportunities.

That'd be a cool idea. If we ever get a viking or samurai movie, I could see that playing out with a group of warriors taking on the Predator, with most of them getting killed, but maybe a few escaping with their lives to tell their tale of survival, and then an ending showing the Pred taking its "trophies" and flying off-planet.
I like this idea. I get the hero’s journey and all but don’t want another one on one fight at the end. We’ve seen that like 3 times.

‘Prey’: Meet Dane DiLiegro, the Latest Actor to Play the Iconic Predator [Interview]

“Dan, our director came in. Then Marty Ewing, our producer, and Jeff Cutter, our director of photography. They came into the studio, and I put this Predator suit on. Alec told me he wanted me to deliver a balletic svelteness to this character. They were making a bit of a departure from the traditional Predator. Balletic svelteness, Hmm. Okay. I’m thinking a panther, something feline, smoother, that’s very in tune with the forest. Feral was another word thrown around, primal, something very instinctual and very in tune with nature. He could run through trees naturally because he’s done it a million times, and he’s one with the woods and the forest. I tried to incorporate all those feelings and emotions; fast forward to me running around studio ADI, turning corners, jumping up on tables, doing little shifty things, and running through the parking lot.”

That svelteness factored into more than just movement for the actor.

I had to lose 25 pounds to play this character. They wanted a lean, dynamic, more animal Predator. You know you look at a feral cat; feral cats are not very plump. Traditionally I’m bigger, more muscular. I had to get away from that.

In addition to slimming down, DiLiegro dedicated himself to training for the physically demanding part.

“I trained for two months parkour. I’m 6′ 9″; not many 6′ 9” guys do parkour. I had to learn the basics of that. I trained in martial arts for two months. I trained my neck. I teamed up with a company called Iron Neck and strengthened my neck for two months because the Predator’s head sits on top of my head, and it’s a lot of weight on the neck. It was about 13 pounds or something. On top of all the acting, I did all the stunts and the motion capture.”

DiLiegro shared a fight scene that ultimately didn’t make the film, much to his relief.

There was a tree chase scene in the script; I saw it pre-vis. It eventually got cut; I’m not sure why. But we were going to be running on tree branches and jumping from branch to branch, me chasing [Amber Midthunder]. They ultimately removed that from principal photography. But I was very concerned because it would’ve been interesting to run on tree branches with the head on and wires and everything.”

Would anyone want to see a film where the Predator wins? As great as this movie is, another one where the hero slowly figures out how to become invisible to it, and then beats it in the third act will be repetitive, regardless of the time period it’s set in.

Yes it will be interesting to see where they go next after a success. Its easier to a degree when the previous film is a failure like The Predator, they just go in a completely different direction, 300 years ago and entirely different world and characters.

This time though it was very much more like a back to basics story of Predator coming down to hunt on earth and taking out a large group, save one clever bean. This is my fear though with just switching up the setting to Samurai/Vikings/Spartans etc etc will it not start to feel a little like a re-tread with one lone Predator taking on an army and one survivor again, same story but just a different backdrop. Predator, Predator 2 and Prey are all similar in that vain. Credit to the others for trying different things but the quality is um, rocky shall we say with the rest.

With character's that people generally seem to love in Naru and Sarri, will they instead focus on them and continue where Prey left off, a Prey 2 in effect, or is there story going to be left now and a different time/location used instead. Its going to a tricky decision to see where they go next and who is involved.

They could try and expand the lore and have a different type of movie, visiting the Predators homeworld and following one through trials etc but then does someone have a compelling story and vision to bring that to life like Prey had or will it devolve into something like AVP/Predators where the ideas outweigh the execution?

Its nice to be excited for the next installment for this franchise again but its hard to tell where it will go next time, just yet.

This was begging to be meme-ified:

get-this-dirty.jpg

I can’t decide what was my favourite kill in the film.

The bear
The Wolf
The laser net
The bear trap to the French trappers face
The Predator using the shield

The Feral Predator was really awesome in this film!

I did see this last week and it actually was quite good although their take on how the Predator looked was unnecessary and pointless.

I can’t decide what was my favourite kill in the film.

The bear
The Wolf
The laser net
The bear trap to the French trappers face
The Predator using the shield

The Feral Predator was really awesome in this film!
Loved all this new stuff. Great to see the Predator properly hunting and with some new inventive and cool gadgets.

‘Prey’: How the SFX Team Ratcheted Up the Horror for the Redesigned Predator Alien

“Dan brought parameters of likes and dislikes, and initially one of the notes said that he wanted this [Predator] to elicit more horror,” said SFX supervisor Alec Gillis, who, with co-SFX supervisor Tom Woodruff, runs the acclaimed ADI special effects company that also works on the “Alien” and “Godzilla” franchises. “So that got us talking about whether or not this could have been the origins of demonic spirits in the eyes of the Native people, such as the Wendigo. That influenced our thinking.”

Love it!!! :mrk:

Anyone who hasn’t seen Genndy Tartakovsky’s Primal, do so immediately!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"