Deadpool 2 Deadpool 2 News and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

-JKR-

Superhero
Reaction score
I thought it would be useful to create a 'Deadpool 2 News and Discussion' thread, instead of breaking up the discussion on the sequel between here and the original movie's section.
i
Ryan Reynolds will reprise his role as the 'Merc With a Mouth' Wade Wilson, aka Deadpool, and will produce Deadpool 2. Also returning are original scriptwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick.

The sequel will feature popular comic book characters Cable and Domino.

Tim Miller, helmer of the original movie, has recently stepped down as director following conflicts with star/producer Ryan Reynolds.

news

Ryan Reynolds is appearing on TBS' 'Conan' November 3rd.

I doubt he will delve into the current situation with director Tim Miller, but maybe he will offer an update on Deadpool 2. The last time he appeared on the show was for the Deadpool trailer debut.

Last edited:
I wonder who the baddies are going to be. I hope the bad guys are not related to weapon x.

I'd like to see T-Ray.
I really liked him, but his storyline got way too complicated in the comics and didn't really go anywhere. They could take the characters' basic elements and go into another direction with the him.
Even though with Cable and Domino being in it, I'd guess it's going to be someone who has a connection to them, as well.

Last edited:
Inside the ‘Deadpool 2’ Fight Over ‘Two Totally Different Movies’ (Exclusive)
More details emerge about vastly different takes director and creative team had for sequel.
Matt Donnelly and Umberto Gonzalez | October 25, 2016 @ 12:57 PM

Soaring budgets and conflicting visions about story were at the heart of the creative rift between “Deadpool” star Ryan Reynolds and Tim Miller, that led to Miller leaving the director’s chair, multiple individuals told TheWrap.

The Saturday report that Miller would no longer return to helm the blockbuster’s sequel shocked fans, with both sides citing “creative differences” between Miller and his star as a reason. But those differences were vast, TheWrap has learned, and expanded to the long-devoted group at the film’s core.

A sequel to “Deadpool” was already in active development when the first went into production, one individual familiar with the project said.

Shortly after then-20th Century Fox CEO Jim Gianopulos confirmed a second movie at CinemaCon in April, cracks began to form in the creative team that also includes screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick (“Zombieland”).

In initial sequel talks, Reynolds, Reese and Wernick envisioned a “scrappy,” raunchy and inexpensive movie, the insider said — in the vein of the first, which earned over $780 million worldwide on a $58 million budget. It’s a stunning return on a film Reynolds lobbied 11 years to make.

Miller, known more for his visual flair than for the brash antics that Reynolds and his writers embraced and that fans loved, wanted a more stylish take, one that would compete with mega-budget superhero movies, insiders said. But it would have cost three times as much as the original $58 million film, the first individual said.

“There were two totally different movies on the table, and one of them just wasn’t ‘Deadpool,” said the first insider, who is familiar with both concepts.

Reynolds, Reese and Wernick’s vision won.

One person said Gianopulos had been a “peacekeeper” between director and star during the production on the first film. He handed the reigns to Stacey Snider on Sept. 1, who has had input on a situation largely handled by 20th Century Fox President of Production Emma Watts.

Another party close to Fox said executives did not have to step in to manage relationships until well after the first film’s release.

Miller pivoted immediately to another priority Fox project, an adaptation of Daniel Suarez’s cyber-crime thriller “Influx.”

Representatives for Miller did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment, nor did reps for Reese or Wernick. A Reynolds spokesperson and 20th Century Fox declined to comment on the matter.

“Deadpool 2” does not currently have a release date. It was written by Reese and Wernick, and will feature popular character Domino, who, like Deadpool, is a former mercenary.

The part is hotly coveted, and those who have screen-tested for it include Kelly Rohrbach, Eve Hewson, Ruby Rose, Mackenzie Davis, Lizzy Caplan, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Sienna Miller, Sofia Boutella, Stephanie Sigman and Sylvia Hoeks.

Reynolds just completed a different collaboration with Reese and Wernick: “Life,” about an international space crew that finds life on Mars, which costars Jake Gyllenhaal and Rebecca Ferguson.
http://www.thewrap.com/inside-the-deadpool-2-fight-over-two-totally-different-movies/

well there are conflicting reports on what is going on with deadpool 2

Wasn't this around since August or so?

http://mashable.com/2016/10/28/deadpool-2-david-leitch-director-john-wick-frontrunner/#PiiiBhxMB8qs

John Wick director David Leitch is the strong frontrunner to direct Deadpool 2, which lost director Tim Miller over creative differences with Ryan Reynolds, several individuals familiar with the project have told Mashable.

Representatives for 20th Century Fox and Leitch did not immediately respond to after-hours requests for comment.

Reynolds' agency, WME, has been pushing the star (and the studio) to hire one of its own clients, and Leitch is at the top of that list, though one individual told Mashable that several other directors remain in the mix. There doesn't appear to be an official offer on the table yet, but by most accounts, 20th Century Fox has found its man.

Leitch has history with all of the parties involved, including Reynolds, as he was the action coordinator on X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which introduced the actor as Wade Wilson. And John Wick, the Keanu Reeves 2014 cult hit, was extraordinarily popular with the genre crowd that is the foundation of Deadpool's fan base.

Leitch has also worked with Fox and Marvel before, performing stunts for Blade, Daredevil and Fight Club, one of several films in which he was Brad Pitt’s stunt double. Perhaps more notably, Leitch has worked on action movies that have pushed the technological envelope, such as 300 and The Matrix sequels.

fter a storied run doing stunt work, Leitch moved up to second unit director on The Wolverine and later, Jurassic World and Captain America: Civil War. He made his directorial debut with John Wick and returned as an executive producer on the sequel, which Leitch left in the capable hands of partner Chad Stahelski while he went off to direct The Coldest City starring James McCoy and Charlize Theron.

Leitch is also attached to direct Chris Pratt in Cowboy Ninja Viking and Sony’s adaptation of Valiant’s acclaimed comic book Bloodshot, though neither project is as close to going before cameras as Deadpool 2, which has already been testing female leads.

Guess which were my favorite action movies in the last few years? 'Deadpool' and 'John Wick'!

Great news, if true. I'd be relieved if David Leitch hopped on board to direct 'Deadpool 2.'

Guess which were my favorite action movies in the last few years? 'Deadpool' and 'John Wick'!

Great news, if true. I'd be relieved if David Leitch hopped on board to direct 'Deadpool 2.'

Cool, nice to see you back on board. :up:

Okay, so John Wick is a good film? I never saw it myself, but kept hearing people say it was a return to form for Keanu Reeves. That good? I figure I can catch it on TV at this point...

Okay, so John Wick is a good film? I never saw it myself, but kept hearing people say it was a return to form for Keanu Reeves. That good? I figure I can catch it on TV at this point...

Absolutely, man! You should watch it as soon as possible.

It's yet another great action movie for Keanu Reeves after Point Break, Speed and The Matrix.

All the hype I lost with Miller leaving might be back if they get Leitch to direct. Great news.

All the hype I lost with Miller leaving might be back if they get Leitch to direct. Great news.

Same here. I hope they officially lock David Leitch as soon as possible!

Haven't seen John Wick yet but I have heard great things about it, so this sounds like good news to me.

Not a bad choice. His stuntwork definitely informed him on how to do John Wick. And he does have plenty of second unit/assistant director credits.

Never saw John Wick so I hope this works out.

Gonna miss Tim Miller though, that dude really sounded like he understood/loves the character and comics in general.

Gonna miss Tim Miller though, that dude really sounded like he understood/loves the character and comics in general.

Me too. And he also understood how to translate them to the big screen, and how comics vs movies work.

This is the one thing that still bums me out as well. Miller was a big nerd and totally seemed in touch with the nature of adapting these things - what needed to be maintained, streamlined, changed etc in the transition to the big screen. That's not a knock on Leitch or whomever else steps in and Ryan/Paul/Rhett's knowledge of the source material though, but Tim definitely just had that affection for the material.

Hopefully Leitch likes X-23 and Dafne Keen because I really want to see Miller's idea of them fighting come to fruition. Leitch would also be a very, very solid pick to handle X-Force too, which needs to be an action film ala John Wick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"