Deadpool 2 Deadpool 2 News and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's safe to say Deadpool will have evolution of his character in the sequel. Focusing more on using guns and multiple weapons. And still look cool and badass.

I think it's safe to say Deadpool will have evolution of his character in the sequel. Focusing more on using guns and multiple weapons. And still look cool and badass.

Yeah. He does not seem like a big budget type of director. Less explosions and more close quarter type of combat.

Which, given the nature of the characters in this film and some of the characters X-Force, would be right up his alley judging off his John Wick work. I bet Domino will get some insane gun-kata with Leitch at the helm. Imagine if Leitch also got his hands on someone like Fantomex too?

After Daredevil, I wonder how Drew Goddard would do, given how he didn't direct, but write for that series.

After Daredevil, I wonder how Drew Goddard would do, given how he didn't direct, but write for that series.

I loved The Martian and his Daredevil episodes, but didn't like Cabin at the Woods at all (and I'm a fan of horror and horror comedies, so the meta aspect is not it), so I wouldn't be the happiest guy around if he got the job (I'd still prefer him to someone like Jeff Wadlow, though, of course).

I read he helped with some of the action sequences in Civil War. That's always a plus.

I loved The Martian and his Daredevil episodes, but didn't like Cabin at the Woods at all (and I'm a fan of horror and horror comedies, so the meta aspect is not it), so I wouldn't be the happiest guy around if he got the job (I'd still prefer him to someone like Jeff Wadlow, though, of course).
Goddard's a talented comic book guy, but he is a writer/director so who knows if he would've just worked with what Wernick/Reese gave him instead of taking time to rewrite the script alongside them. The rewriting process might take longer than Fox/Ryan want.

Goddard's a talented comic book guy, but he is a writer/director so who knows if he would've just worked with what Wernick/Reese gave him instead of taking time to rewrite the script alongside them. The rewriting process might take longer than Fox/Ryan want.

Cabin in the Woods should have been right in my ballpark, considering my tastes. But I didn't like what he did with it. So I'm not too hyped about him as a filmmaker.
Talented writer, though.

Of the supposed 3 in the running, it'd be:
1. David Leitch (a good way to balance out this supposed raunchy comedy Reynolds was pushing for)
2. Magnus Martens (he's mostly done tv work for some pretty good-great shows & could likely maintain the tight budget)
3. Drew Goddard (haven't yet watched The Martian, but he's painfully mediocre from what I have seen)

An interesting bit of info from Variety is that even before the Miller/Deadpool 2 exit, David Leitch was Fox's choice to direct X-Force. It explains why they have a frontrunner to take over so quickly. As much as I'll miss Miller, if this was the guy they were grooming to helm X-Force, it makes total sense, that he'd be involved with Deadpool 2, (Cable, Domino, etc.)

I hope the movie won't suffer from the Iron Man 2 syndrome, and be an appetizer for X-Force.

I hope the movie won't suffer from the Iron Man 2 syndrome, and be an appetizer for X-Force.
Reported cases of Iron Man 2 syndrome occur when the same director(s) is attached.

Reported cases of Iron Man 2 syndrome occur when the same director(s) is attached.

Not really. Jon Favreau was pretty upset about the movie they made him do. Not his fault at all.

Reported cases :huh:

How many First comic IP's were setting up an expanded universe, had sequels happen during a writers strike (or had no scripts at all) and were made by the same Director?

Worry about Simon Kinberg allegedly writing X-Force. Apocalypse was **** and so was Fant4stic, X3, This Means War, Jumper and XXX2.

Loving these Directing choices :up::up:

Last edited:
Reported cases :huh:

How many First comic IP's were setting up an expanded universe and had sequels happen during a writers strike and were made by the same Director?

Worry about Simon Kinberg allegedly writing X-Force if anything. Apocalypse was **** and so was Fant4stic, X3, This Means War, Jumper and XXX2.

Loving these Directing choices :up::up:

Well, Ryan Reynolds has said he won't allow anyone else other than Rhett Resse and Paul Wernick write Deadpool as long as he's playing him, so things are gonna get tricky on X-Force.

I think that movie should have more connections to Deadpool, rather than the main-line X-Men movies and hope it'll focus on the early 1990s X-Force line-up.

Never saw John Wick so I hope this works out.

Gonna miss Tim Miller though, that dude really sounded like he understood/loves the character and comics in general.

You need to get on that. "John Wick: Chapter 2" comes out in February!

:mrk:

You need to get on that. "John Wick: Chapter 2" comes out in February!

:mrk:

Which is not going to be directed by David Leitch (who's up for 'Deadpool 2'), though, but by his directing partner on the original, Chad Stahelski.

Well, Ryan Reynolds has said he won't allow anyone else other than Rhett Resse and Paul Wernick write Deadpool as long as he's playing him, so things are gonna get tricky on X-Force.

I think that movie should have more connections to Deadpool, rather than the main-line X-Men movies and hope it'll focus on the early 1990s X-Force line-up.
It definitely should, but this is where my main worry has been. Kinberg is an awesome producer and needs to stay as such. With Deadpool now being the main money maker though that's gonna switch priority for the X-Men crew. Kingberg has been said to already be writing the script.

There is no way of getting out of an Iron Man 2 situation with whom they want to introduce here and where they want to go. Deadpool 2 one way or the other will be setting up X-Force. Doesn't mean it has to go the same route of quality.

If all goes well the hired Director and the writers will be able to lead the way, but they need the writers and not just someone who gets the job cause they work for the studio.

Last edited:
@JKR Yeah I know. :up:

Still looks beautiful tho.

@JKR Yeah I know. :up:

Still looks beautiful tho.

I agree. Looking forward to it. And also to Leitch's The Coldest City, starring Charlize Theron.

After John Wick I'm interested in whatever these guys are doing. Same with Tim Miller after Deadpool.

It definitely should, but this is where my main worry has been. Kinberg is an awesome producer and needs to stay as such. With Deadpool now being the main money maker though that's gonna switch priority for the X-Men crew. Kingberg has been said to already be writing the script.

There is no way of getting out of an Iron Man 2 situation with whom they want to introduce here and where they want to go. Deadpool 2 one way or the other will be setting up X-Force. Doesn't mean it has to go the same route of quality.

If all goes well the hired Director and the writers will be able to lead the way, but they need the writers and not just someone who gets the job cause they work for the studio.

There IS a way of getting out of an Iron Man 2 situation. Deadpool has a history with both the characters, so it's possible to feature them as charactes in Deadpool 2 in an organic way, without the movie spelling out that this is the set-up for X-Force (except for 'Pool dropping some hints after the end credits, like in the previous one). Have the story be whatever it needs to be. With its own stakes and story, instead of creating a "I see, this all leads to X-Force" feeling.

There IS a way of getting out of an Iron Man 2 situation. Deadpool has a history with both the characters, so it's possible to feature them as charactes in Deadpool 2 in an organic way, without the movie spelling out that this is the set-up for X-Force (except for 'Pool dropping some hints after the end credits, like in the previous one). Have the story be whatever it needs to be. With its own stakes and story, instead of creating a "I see, this all leads to X-Force" feeling.

Deadpool 2 will be setting up a new team IP movie. There is no way around that. Only other solo film to do that is IM2. It aint a bad comparison, it's the only one. Just needs to be done right.

Last edited:
Deadpool 2 will be setting up a new team IP movie. There is no way around that. Only other solo film to do that is IM2. It aint a bad comparison, it's the only one. Just needs to be done right.

There is a way around it. It can just be Deadpool 2. And the characters from Deadpool 2 can reunite and force a team in the X-Force movie. It's not really that difficult.

Not everything needs to be done the Marvel Studios way. Thank goodness!

It will never be just Deadpool 2 if X-Force is gonna happen with Deadpool, Cable and Dom.

This is intended to be an expanded universe and this film (Deadpool2) is paving the way and introducing audiences into a new team that will be it's own IP. As it very well should be. Doesn't matter if Marvel did it. Good, these are Marvel characters too and work within a serial format of story telling that should be evolved into todays filmmaking.

If it's a good film and does it's job why does it even matter? Why is this even up for debate?

Last edited:
It will never be just Deadpool 2 if X-Force is gonna happen with Deadpool, Cable and Dom. This is intended to be an expanded universe and this film (Deadpool2) is paving the way and introducing audiences into a new team that will be it's own IP. As it very well should be. Doesn't matter if Marvel did it. Good, these are Marvel characters too!

If it's a good film and does it's job why does it matter?

I'm cool with this being Cable & Deadpool. Other than that, let's just agree to disagree and see what these guys are actually planning. :woot:

Cool :up:

Isn't this Director in talks the same guy who was up for X-Force? Or am I out of the loop on something and X-Force isn't being planned.

Just a bit lost on why we are debating this haha.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back