• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Decoding THE MATRIX TRILOGY anyone? Discuss the films here.

For me, I rank them in the way they were released. I really enjoyed the first one the most.

The last two movies were so disappointing to me that I haven't watched the original in years. I honestly almost rethought my opinion of the first one but realized that that was stupid.

I rank 'em like this from my favorite to least favorite.

1. The Matrix Reloaded
2. The Matrix
3. The Matrix Revolutions

I was disappointed in many areas with Revolutions.
I HATED that Neo was blinded.
and besides that, it just didn't give enough closure IMO.
I think they attempted to stuff too many historical/cultural/Biblical references in the second and third films and forgot to serve the story. I do commend them for the effort though - they must have filled books with research.

I also noticed that in the first one, they managed to really integrate the action scenes with story, and in the subsequent films it seemed to be action for the sake of action. Also, the mood in The Matrix worked tremendously well since the characters were either stuck in that claustrophobic ship or working fervently in the Matrix trying to escape agents, so it really added to the paranoia vibe. When they added Zion, it lost a lot of that urgency, I thought.

The last two movies were so disappointing to me that I haven't watched the original in years. I honestly almost rethought my opinion of the first one but realized that that was stupid.

Yeah, you really have to separate the first from the sequels. In my movie mind, the sequels simply don't exist, like the Star Wars prequels.

I still watch The Matrix on a regular basis and the sequels never enter my mind while enjoying it.

How I rank them:

- The Matrix (3 1/2 out of 4 stars): One of the greatest science fiction films of all-time.
- The Matrix Reloaded (3 out of 4 stars): Decent movie. It should have been better, and it wasn't, which was a huge disappointment. However, I like it much more than most because this is the film that continues the story of one of my favorite villains in all of film, Smith.
- The Matrix Revolutions (2 out of 4 stars): Weak film. The film offered nothing new. It was underwhelming, and anti-climatic. The final Neo/Smith fight was the definition of anti-climatic. I was unsatisfied with the film, more or so with the direction than the script.

Yeah, you really have to separate the first from the sequels. In my movie mind, the sequels simply don't exist, like the Star Wars prequels.

I still watch The Matrix on a regular basis and the sequels never enter my mind while enjoying it.
Yep, I'm already pretending that Spider-Man 3 doesn't exist.

How I rank them:

- The Matrix (3 1/2 out of 4 stars): One of the greatest science fiction films of all-time.
- The Matrix Reloaded (3 out of 4 stars): Decent movie. It should have been better, and it wasn't, which was a huge disappointment. However, I like it much more than most because this is the film that continues the story of one of my favorite villains in all of film, Smith.
- The Matrix Revolutions (2 out of 4 stars): Weak film. The film offered nothing new. It was underwhelming, and anti-climatic. The final Neo/Smith fight was the definition of anti-climatic. I was unsatisfied with the film, more or so with the direction than the script.

Basically how I feel too.

Yep. :up:

I stated that I rank them from the first movie to the last. I really enjoyed the first movie the most. Just watching Neo's journey to realizing he his The One was really awesome. The ending of the movie, from Neo coming back to life so to speak and his words at the end, just brilliant.

Aren't we all?

Actually I still like the Harry arc. But that's another thread.
I'm only going to go off topic in this one post because I don't want to disrupt the thread.

There are alot of excellent scenes in Spider-Man 3 and the actors gave it there all but overall the script let everyone down. I liked Harry's arc too but the death scene was handled very poorly and I actually wished he hadn't died.

The first Matrix film the Wachowski's designed was quite naturally perfect. A work of art. Flawless, sublime.

Architect quote for you, there.

But I'm a massive fan of all three films, "Revolutions" being the weakest. Sure, there's a huge amount of depth to the final two installments, but if you make the intense effort of trying to understand them, it's a very rewarding feeling. I've always maintained that all the answers are present within the films. Nowhere else. Everything is explained -- the answers are saturated between each and every film. That's why you've got to work your backside off to understand what these films are trying to convey.

But you can really start to appreciate these films when you finally grasp them. Also, I find it's a good idea to visit Matrix websites, because they also provide you with a monumental amount of answers, theories and explanations. That's basically how I came to love these films -- through simply reading up about them. I studied them, if you will.

The Wachowski's put in the effort for us so we should put the effort in for them, is what I say.

I understood them fine, I just don't find the sequels as interesting or good as the original.

The first Matrix film the Wachowski's designed was quite naturally perfect. A work of art. Flawless, sublime.

Architect quote for you, there.

But I'm a massive fan of all three films, "Revolutions" being the weakest. Sure, there's a huge amount of depth to the final two installments, but if you make the intense effort of trying to understand them, it's a very rewarding feeling. I've always maintained that all the answers are present within the films. Nowhere else. Everything is explained -- the answers are saturated between each and every film. That's why you've got to work your backside off to understand what these films are trying to convey.

But you can really start to appreciate these films when you finally grasp them. Also, I find it's a good idea to visit Matrix websites, because they also provide you with a monumental amount of answers, theories and explanations. That's basically how I came to love these films -- through simply reading up about them. I studied them, if you will.

The Wachowski's put in the effort for us so we should put the effort in for them, is what I say.

Too funny. You had me there for a second.

What part are you referring to, oh humored and all-knowing one?

Basically, what your post boils down to is that you are calling us ignorant or stupid for not liking the sequels.

Grasp what? The terrible preachy and rediculous dialogue, the bad story arc we could care less about, the bad acting? Guess what, we got it all, we just don't like it. It's not like uncovering an ancient civilization, digging to find all the answers. To many of us, they are what they are, bad films.

I don't need to research a pile of crap to know what it is. I can smell it and see it for exactly for what it is.

I never saw the sequels as bad, just bland.

More or less the Matrix films let us know that Jesus has returned. He has returned and now he knows kung-fu. Who would have guess God had a sense of humor? The second coming will be led by none other than Ted. Bill will more than likely become the next Judas. For all is well my brothers. Praise in the name of our Lord, Keanu Reeves.
lol

The original is an amazing film. It was groundbreaking, but still holds up so well. Then came the sequels.

My main problem with these is the fact that they were filmed back to back, and that Reloaded had no ending. Pissed me off beyond belief. I like my sequels to be complete movies, but still fit in with the story arc of the series.

Besides that, they lost that awe factor that the original had. They delved WAYYY too much in CGI, both in the Matrix and the real world. I like the beginning of the final fight between Neo and Smith in Revolutions. Fighting in the raining in the middle of the street...it looked like it was going to be the coolest thing on film. And they the started flying. The sequels were just a mess, IMO.

How does everyone feel about the dvd transfer the first matrix got years back to look more like the other two. AMC shows it with the newer transfer, and I love it. Makes the greens and blacks pop out in the matrix scenes, I think it gives the lighting more depth.

I love the Matrix.
I love Neo.
I LOVE MORPHEUS.
I LOVE. MR. ANDERSON.

The movies had alot of great characters.

Basically, what your post boils down to is that you are calling us ignorant or stupid for not liking the sequels.

Grasp what? The terrible preachy and rediculous dialogue, the bad story arc we could care less about, the bad acting? Guess what, we got it all, we just don't like it. It's not like uncovering an ancient civilization, digging to find all the answers. To many of us, they are what they are, bad films.

I don't need to research a pile of crap to know what it is. I can smell it and see it for exactly for what it is.
Actually, you will find that my post wasn't directed at anyone here. I hadn't even read any of the posts in this thread before submitting my views. And for your information, Confusious -- I wasn't calling anyone ignorant. Way to go on misinterpreting my post. Just that these films require a lot of hard work to understand...but that doesn't mean to say that those whom don't understand it are "ignorant".

It was a generic statement, and I seem to have struck a nerve.

And it was kicka*s awesome. Just wondering if I should see the other two, because I heard they weren't as good. And there really wasn't a spoon after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"