Democratic Primary 2020

Once again, we are left with a choice between piece of gahbage over a more racist piece of gahbage. Yes, I will vote for Biden, just like I voted for Hillary, but in both cases, it just won't feel as good as it should. Dave Chappelle explained my feelings so much better, but can't quote him.

I get it. It's a terrible situation all around and it's very embarrassing how a so called first world country like us doesn't even have healthcare for all but given the cards dealt right now, what exactly can we do? I think I mentioned this before but I don't think Biden was really anyone's first choice here (he doesn't even crack my Top 5 :funny:) but as much as it sucks to say it, it is what it is. Yes, the party is not fond of Bernie and yes, they rallied behind Biden but there are also actual common folk who voted for him and are passionate for him. It's not like he pulled that win out of the thin air. For the sake of my sanity, I can't even think that far ahead. I'm not even sure we will survive this year. All I can do is naively hope that we can get Trump out and Biden will hopefully be surrounded with enough sensible people that can right some of what Trump has done.
I am with you in terms of what I feel we have to do given the options. But I also see how others don't feel that way. And I am not talking about the crazy ones. The ones whose purity test is such a pain, that even Warren is basically George Bush. No matter what happens, it is going to turn out bad for progressives. Either they get blamed for Trump winning, or they are proven "wrong" by have Biden continue to mess everything up only slightly less then Trump.

I just learned Harris didn't want to indict Mnuchin for his part in the housing crisis.
ALrxvBn.gif

And I just want this on record here that while it might come across like it, when I'm being too optimistic, I am in absolutely no way dismissing any of the frustrations being aired out here (because I share it too) nor am I accusing anyone here of being one of the 'crazy ones'. Well, all of us here are crazy but it's my kind of crazy. :o

I still feel like Trump will win again.
I honestly didn't feel like this was a possibility a few months back. Now, I am 50/50 on it. I just hope Biden having a penis and not having two decades of being treated like the literal anti-Christ means he can win the votes he needs in the Midwest.

And I just want this on record here that while it might come across like it, when I'm being too optimistic, I am in absolutely no way dismissing any of the frustrations being aired out here (because I share it too) nor am I accusing anyone here of being one of the 'crazy ones'. Well, you guys are crazy but you're my kind of crazy. :o
Oh, I am definitely nuts...

zVNx5Zb.gif

But technically not one of the crazy ones being discussed at the moment. And don't worry kvz5. I don't feel like you have ever come off that way at all. :up:

A lot of Wisconsin Democratic voters are frustrated with Bernie.

Wisconsin was 1:15 states that didn't delay their primaries (partially due to Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice race going on that isn't replaced until August in conjunction with county based offices that need to be replaced in 2 weeks). Bernie pulled out the day after everyone went out in-person to vote (a significant % drop in poll turn-out compared to 2016's primary). It's a message if you went out to vote for him without absentee ballot , he doesn't want your vote some feel (absentee ballot if submitted yesterday able to be counted out until the 13th as ruled last Friday by WI Appeals Court).

Municipalities within certain sections of Wisconsin had to wait in line while more populous areas like within Dane County still kept a significant number of poll booths open to avoid waiting lines while enforcing people go to assigned area within their zip code.

Anyway, last 2016 election Bernie Sanders didn't get by Hillary. He made clear afterwards if you vote for him DON'T vote for Trump. Here's a tweet from Trump I just saw:

That's a stake in the heart to read something like that right at this moment for many.

All I’m going to say is that any Bernie supporter who votes for Trump never believed in anything he stands for. None of it.

Dude, all the bull**** that went on in Wisconsin is entirely on their Republican legislature and the SCOTUS.

Besides the obvious on what side pushed the vote to go forward, there was also an underlying assumption that I think can be irritating to consider (on 1 side being more likely to show up than other and those that did show up to support Sanders now have their vote nullified before it's been counted). Now, from another perspective one could say it was good for Sanders to rescind from the race the day after in order for people to vote for the Supreme Court Justice but the vote's going to be counted by the 13th in any case now that it's done with. In the Wisconsin Supreme Court it's 5-2 Republican appointees now after last Fall and has been majority Republican appointees since 2008.

Ever since 2011 with the Voter ID, Gerrymandering, and now the Registered Voter updating that's set to go before the Supreme Court before the Autumn election show how intense things have gotten. Couple that with the generalized underyling assumption on how absentee ballot rules/extensions dealing with Covid-19 would help/hinder one side compared to another the Republicans put their foot down at Governor Evers suggestion last week and the District Court ruled the deadline as set last Thursday. Then, the Court of Appeals upheld the District Court's decision last Friday of not post-poning but did allow absentee ballots request on Sat. by 5:00 p.m. to be sent as long as did so by cutoff time on election day April 7 (votes be reported by county and municipal clerks by the 13th).

Of course Governor Evers then set an emergency session with Legislature on Saturday immediately ended, an appeal to the DHS clerk followed, then the governor on Sunday executively acted to post-pone even longer. As expected (the Elections Commission had the county clerk's office and poll workers assisted by National Guard at the ready expecting this not to hold), this was challenged immediately and the Supreme Court ruled within 24 hours on Monday to not allow an in-person delay nor further extension of absentee ballots. I read some like the Mayor in Dane county trying to seek injunctions so there was questions right up to the last moment but the elections commission had a polling place map online at least to help see what poll booths to go to.

Last edited:
I will vote for Biden, but if he truly desires some of Bernie's support (I honestly don't know if he does) than he needs to adopt some policies and hire some Progressives in his campaign and cabinet.

Technically, that is how it is supposed to work, especially given the strength and size of Bernie's supporters. Eisenhower did it to placate Taft's supporters in 52. P. Trudeau did it for Turner's and other establishment Liberals in 1968. It is how big tent political parties are supposed to work. Even if you win the nomination, you are supposed to make considerable concessions to those you beat for the nomination to heal divides and unify the party.

Technically, that is how it is supposed to work, especially given the strength and size of Bernie's supporters. Eisenhower did it to placate Taft's supporters in 52. P. Trudeau did it for Turner's and other establishment Liberals in 1968. It is how big tent political parties are supposed to work. Even if you win the nomination, you are supposed to make considerable concessions to those you beat for the nomination to heal divides and unify the party.
How it is supposed to work yes. But how it is suppose to work does not really follow the BS coming out of Biden's mouth though.

How it is supposed to work yes. But how it is suppose to work does not really follow the BS coming out of Biden's mouth though.

Oh I know. My post was one of exasperation. You would think that establishment Dems, who claim to care so much about the rules and the civility of how things used to be done, would actual follow those conventions and norms now.

While Joe is old and his team has been doing some things lately that defy belief, I still have some hope they will follow through on adopting some progressive policies to help unify. First, Biden did those tweets about adopting some of Warren's policies and, second, Bernie must have extracted a price of some kind for his early withdrawal. If it was just about the path to victory, he would have quit after the last Super Tuesday. (At least I hope)

While Joe is old and his team has been doing some things lately that defy belief, I still have some hope they will follow through on adopting some progressive policies to help unify. First, Biden did those tweets about adopting some of Warren's policies and, second, Bernie must have extracted a price of some kind for his early withdrawal. If it was just about the path to victory, he would have quit after the last Super Tuesday. (At least I hope)

I’m banking on this. And I don’t remember where I read this (nor do I know if it’s true but I hope it is) but apparently Bernie actually likes Biden (more so than Warren) a lot (something to do with Biden being kind to him before he even become somebody) so hopefully they can work on something together.

You would think it would be simple right? Especially as a lot of Bernie's policies have overwhelming support from the voters, even if they don't necessarily like him.

I'm not saying 'corporate Dems want Biden and ordinary people want Bernie'. What I'm saying is that's who I expect to see reaping the most benefits from this. The rich will be protected, the corporations will be given far too loose a leash, and the issues facing people will not be addressed in a way that won't just lead to repeating 2016.

There's nothing to get over and the tone is not necessary. Biden's the nominee. But becoming the nominee doesn't change who he is. It doesn't mean he's not the guy who tells people to vote for Trump when questioned. It doesn't mean he's not the guy who tells rich people behind the scenes that nothing will change. It doesn't mean he didn't vote for the bills he did, or go on public TV to call healthcare comparative to the rest of the US' contemporaries a pipe dream. I want to be clear, I am not saying don't vote for Biden. Vote for him. Get rid of Trump. Trump is a monster. But that doesn't mean his baggage and associated concerns disappear.

I agree with this post. The people who believe in what i bolded are stupid.

I still feel like Trump will win again.

This fall's election will have massive turnout. People are pissed at Trump and his mangling of the pandemic response leaving tens of thousands people dead (among his other failures).

Will it be competitive? Yes!

Is Trump a lock for re-election? Hell no.

Given how the world has changed, I wouldn't count on turnout being massive as a sure thing. If there are no safety measures in place or extensive mail-in voting, and a second (or by then, third) outbreak happens, forget it. It'll be historically low turnout. And low turn out always favors...

This fall's election will have massive turnout. People are pissed at Trump and his mangling of the pandemic response leaving tens of thousands people dead (among his other failures).

Will it be competitive? Yes!

Is Trump a lock for re-election? Hell no.

Eh, I really really want you to be correct but his approval ratings are up. And outside of intelligent, rational people who have been following this situation, the rest of the country is likely to fall in line with his eagerness to open the country back up and thinking this was all a big overreaction.

I think he’s got it in the bag right now and once him and Biden stand on stage together it’ll be undeniable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"