Discussion: Education

Yeah, nothing there is going to benefit kids at all. :(

None of this is about the kids. It'a about control. Controlling the narrative, controlling the populace, controlling education to benefit only a certain party's idelogies.

Just to find a job that probably pays far less than the money they pay for the degree. College debt is insane.

Predatory loans and overpriced schools. Most of those in debt don't deserve to be. :(

B I N G O! and will probably not have a job that matches the amount of $$$$$$ they put into their education to get that job! I have to say, I think many young people need to stop going to colleges with "a name". There are plenty of excellent smaller schools that will give them just as good an education at about 1/2 the cost.

I recognize the country, and the time period.

There is a fine line between strict rules on behavior and the current inaction going on with regards to bullying and abuse at schools. It's an ongoing issue that never seems to be resolved.

Well as a teacher of 33 years, it has changed. I don't have many problems in my classroom, but I have had to change how I teach a great deal. Between COVID and smart phones, teachers small battles have turned into fighting a war in our classrooms. Kids are not sleeping anymore, they stay up all night on their phones and it shows in a huge way in the classroom. Homework is non-starter. I gave up on that during COVID. Administration would rather sweep most things under the rug, rather than face parents. Students know this and it really ties the hands of the teacher in the classroom.

Well as a teacher of 33 years, it has changed. I don't have many problems in my classroom, but I have had to change how I teach a great deal. Between COVID and smart phones, teachers small battles have turned into fighting a war in our classrooms. Kids are not sleeping anymore, they stay up all night on their phones and it shows in a huge way in the classroom. Homework is non-starter. I gave up on that during COVID. Administration would rather sweep most things under the rug, rather than face parents. Students know this and it really ties the hands of the teacher in the classroom.
What are the economic demographics of your school?

Here in Florida we have cowardly admin who refuse to do anything to stand up to unreasonable parents, but those *******s have been empowered by a stupid Governor who is anti-teacher.

There definitely needs to be a reckoning on modern students, they're not being prepared and the system/absent parents are to blame.

I think it's sad that other parents let their kids have a phone at such a young age, let alone social media accounts. For our oldest, we let her know if she wants s phone she either needs to be consistently on the honor roll, or pay for part of it with a part time job.

But I think I know what's going on. Parents are exhausted. Two parents work and have less disposable income than a generation ago when one parent worked. They can't keep up. So they sedate their kids with a cell phone.

It's not sustainable.

There is now enough research out there on the impact of smart phones and social media has had on education. There is no other topic that is researched more at the moment. There is nothing out there that I have read that sees either of those things as a positive on education. So it is extremely hard for me to understand WHY they are not banned from schools. What the parent does at home is not my lane, I don't steer into their lane, they should not steer into mine, but smart phones and social media has nothing positive to give to education.

In 10 years there will be no librarians in public schools, they are a thing of the past. Public schools have aides in the libraries not certified teachers or librarians, so they will do nothing to fight book bannings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"