• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Amazing Spider-Man Donald Glover wants to be Spider-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh

Is Peter Parker black? No.

It isn't racist, it is about getting the appropriate actor to play a specific role.

Yea I really hate that if you say" he's black he can't play spiderman" that makes me racist.... I'm a ****ing mexican I'm not racist!

Peter Parker is not african american plain and simple. When there were rumors or will smith as Superman/Captain America people blew their lids off and it was ok but now that its spiderman its different? Uhh ok :huh:

My first reaction is no... then I watch Community reruns and say, could work.

Peter Parker isn't black, it isn't racist.. but he cannot be Spiderman because the character is white. End of discussion tbh..

Yea I really hate that if you say" he's black he can't play spiderman" that makes me racist.... I'm a ****ing mexican I'm not racist!

Peter Parker is not african american plain and simple. When there were rumors or will smith as Superman/Captain America people blew their lids off and it was ok but now that its spiderman its different? Uhh ok :huh:

Being Mexican doesn't mean you can't be racist.

Something is wrong if you can't fathom seeing a fictional character with different skin colour. But whatever, Sony will cast Peter Parker with someone to make you happy. I can understand if you didn't think Donald Glover the actor wouldn't make a good Peter Parker even though he grew up poor, nerdy and in a foster home in New York City. But for the blanket statement of everything must stay the same for characters I love while minor characters are okay is silly.

Being Mexican doesn't mean you can't be racist.

Something is wrong if you can't fathom seeing a fictional character with different skin colour. But whatever, Sony will cast Peter Parker with someone to make you happy. I can understand if you didn't think Donald Glover the actor wouldn't make a good Peter Parker even though he grew up poor, nerdy and in a foster home in New York City. But for the blanket statement of everything must stay the same for characters I love while minor characters are okay is silly.
Ok and even if it was a Mexican doing this I would still be against it.... regardless of me being mexican or not the fact that I'm being considered racist just because I don't want someone that's non caucasian to play Spider Man plain and simple... peter parker is caucasian that's the way he has been written since the 60's.

My brother in is poor nerdy and is a foster child he is also puerto rican but should be nowhere near the role of spiderman.

No one said you're racist just said that being Mexican doesn't mean you can't be. I thought it was a weak argument.

There would be racists who would see the movie and not be happy and then there would be fans who are like you and not be happy because the book you read doesn't match up with the screen. Its an adaptation, things change in adaptations.

What would happen if a mini-series was written where he was non-Caucasian? That seemed to be okay for Nick Fury.

And why not get Danny Glover to be Uncle Ben while we're at it?
Danny%20Glover.jpg

uh, no.

This isn't the remake of the Honeymooners.

Spider-Man is a legend, as it Batman or Superman. He's not Nick Fury.

No one said you're racist just said that being Mexican doesn't mean you can't be. I thought it was a weak argument.

There would be racists who would see the movie and not be happy and then there would be fans who are like you and not be happy because the book you read doesn't match up with the screen. Its an adaptation, things change in adaptations.

What would happen if a mini-series was written where he was non-Caucasian? That seemed to be okay for Nick Fury.
Ok and Fury was written as black in the ultimate universe... spidey hasn't been written that way.

Now if Ultimate Spider Man was actually black you wouldn't see me complaining.... now Parker has never been written like that.... Harry Potter was an Adaptation... so you would be ok with a Black Harry Potter?

The Lord of the rings was an Adaptation so would it be ok if frodo was black?
Would you be ok if Cyclops or Wolverine was black?
Your saying you would be ok if Aquaman was Black?

Donald Glover is 26, gonna be 27 this year. Too old. And I just dare somebody to say that it's ok for Donald Glover to be slightly older than the norm when everybody's been saying that Andrew Garfield (one month older) is to old for the part.

Hey, lets do it! Let Donald Glover be Peter in the new film!

And to be fair, a white actor should play the role of T'Chala in any possible Black Panther film!

All Sarcasm. Tho this reminds me of how Beyonce wanted to play Wonder Woman in a future movie. Its not racist to NOT want a black actor playing the role of a major non-black character. I bet if the shoe was on the other foot (again, a white guy playing the role of a major black character) the reaction would be negative.

I have nothing against any racial groups but anyone who supports this isn't respecting the character as he has been for all 48 years of his history.

Now you're talking about respecting the f'ing character, but when we have an organic web shooting Spidey, a wuss worthy dancing cry-baby, with no personality, who's a mute 95% of the time, then this is okay.

I say no to this idea, but he'd probably do a much better job than Tobey Maguire.

Last edited:
Just like everyone else I'm not being racist but the character is simply not black. I'd hate to hear if Heather Graham got casted as Storm or Arron Eckhart as Black Panther.

Just like everyone else I'm not being racist but the character is simply not black. I'd hate to hear if Heather Graham got casted as Storm or Arron Eckhart as Black Panther.

Amen.

A very infuriating thought IMO - goes the same for some articles I have seen suggesting changing his race period.

I get annoyed for the fact that the sentiment simply feels anti-white - the suggestion is as if to say being white in first place is in itself a bad thing - thanks alot supporters and orginators (media) of these ideas. You sorta show your true colors and agenda.

Then again, I can see others who simply love Spider-Man they want to see him materialized into their own culture and I respect that.

But I feel it's the prior agenda - and that is well, racist right there.

Leave it alone.

Oh please, they've changed everything else about the character. I say make him a fat Chinese lady and be done with it.

©KAW;18392880 said:
Oh please, they've changed everything else about the character. I say make him a fat Chinese lady and be done with it.

Yea that's true, Raimi made him an un-funny, no personality, stare into headlights, whine over the girl, short and stubby, emo-dancing, monotoned uncharming Spider-Man, why not cast Danny Devito to shake things up.

Don't cast for the sake of being PC, (IMO.) Will it be acceptable if Hal was played by a black actor and in sequel John Stewart by a white actor ?

Oh, God, I thought I read "Danny Glover wants to be Spider-Man."

Anyway, things really are sucking for casting on the web.

I really don't know his acting abilities or range; but if he wants to be apart of the spidey franchise, and truely respect the character and it's supporting cast, than he should be lobbying for a part as Hobie Brown or the likes thereof.

Close this thread... before it get ridiculous.

What I find supremely interesting is why would Donald resort to trying to sway the internet masses in the first place? Doesn't he have an agent? And if his agent tried to get him an audition and failed, then Glover is trying to force Sony to do something they already refused him on and don't want to do. And if in the end he gets his audition, Sony may not gonna grant him the part just because they don't like him. Being a manipulator and all. :)

Now, if in fact his agent did NOT attempt to get him that audition then Glover may not be that interested in the role and just wants to make a point.

To play the devil's advocate, when has Peter Parker been written as caucasian? Let's face it, even though the character has been white since his creation, he was incidently white, as most comic book characters tend to be.

When a character in a comic is created to be a certain ethnicity, they are almost always written to represent that ethnicity in their personality. If they're not, they're default white.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"