Iron Man Downey Jr as IronMan sweet

I wouldn't have thought of him, but the last three films I saw him in, he was the best thing in them. So I've got no complaints.

incurock31 said:
With on Favreau at the helm and Downey Jr. in the armor I am very confident. I haven't felt this good about a Marvel movie since X2. :up:
And I haven't had this many doubts since Corman's FF.

I can see this working well. Downey is kind of goofy but he is a great actor, and as it's been pointed out he's gone through all the fame and substance abuse stuff so that kind of gives him points. The thing I wouldnt be so sure about at this point is the Avengers movie..

Dark Knight said:
He is old....and a strung out coke head! LOL.... However, he could turn in a surprise performance....or it will be horribly bad.....it'll one or the other.
Define old! Why should all the superheroes be played by young guys? What's wrong with even representation?

And you're angry cause he's a cokehead? Do you know how many supposedly "brilliant" actors are also drug addicts. Honestly, it has no affect on acting.

Old as in past his prime.
And the problem w/Downey's drug history is that it's his best-known source of publicity. More people know about it, he-unlike most others-has had multiple drug-related arrests & the public is as unforgiving as it is fickle. As I've stated in another thread, perception is everything in this business. If you don't think his image can hurt the film, or that the public won't turn on you & down your work because of your personal life, then I refer you to the following:
Tom Cruise
Michael Jackson
Jerry Lee Lewis
Whitney Houston
Bobby Brown
Ask any of them if THEIR personal lives adversely affected their careers!

People can forgive the drugs. But parents may hesistate to bring their children to see him as a superhero knowing this. Either way it doesn't matter. He's a horrible choice just based on physicality alone.

he may be a great actor, but i always thought of stark as a tall slim man, i see robbie as a short fat man. but , as someone stated earlier, he could do a michael keaton on us.

ironmanhe6.png

That's quite tonystarkish.

I'm very excited about Robert as Tony Stark, few in Hollywood have his talent, yes he has a troubled personal life, which I believe has kept his star from rising furthur than it has so far.
When I first heard it, I was like "Man, this is out of left field, Favreau didn't say he would get a big name star for the role." But the more I sat there and thought about, the more I felt like it was a gutsy move and a good choice, like I've said, not everyone is going to like the casting, If Tom Cruise had been cast, the boards would be full of complaints about his height and his personal meltdowns, people complained about Jessica Alba, Hugh Jackman, Topher Grace, Tobey Maguire, Brendon Routh, Heath Ledger, just to name a few, all I can say is look at this with a open mind and give RDJ a chance.

Chris Wallace said:
Old as in past his prime.
And the problem w/Downey's drug history is that it's his best-known source of publicity. More people know about it, he-unlike most others-has had multiple drug-related arrests & the public is as unforgiving as it is fickle. As I've stated in another thread, perception is everything in this business. If you don't think his image can hurt the film, or that the public won't turn on you & down your work because of your personal life, then I refer you to the following:
Tom Cruise
Michael Jackson
Jerry Lee Lewis
Whitney Houston
Bobby Brown
Ask any of them if THEIR personal lives adversely affected their careers!
But that's just the thing - he had his drug fiasco, but now he's had a string of successful, critically acclaimed movies. He's ALREADY proven he can bounce back. You're argument's seriously out of date. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang; The Singing Detective, A Scanner Darkly. Dude's BACK.

AnimeJune said:
Define old! Why should all the superheroes be played by young guys? What's wrong with even representation?

And you're angry cause he's a cokehead? Do you know how many supposedly "brilliant" actors are also drug addicts. Honestly, it has no affect on acting.

People are ******ed. They worry so much about the actor's age for the sequels they forget about the ****ing first movie. "But when Iron Man 4 comes out he will be in is 50's!??!!??!!?!?" :whatever:

RDJ is a good choice.
He's a damned good actor, and if the script is any good, he'll rock.
(No matter what people think of his personal life.)
He'll pull it off better than Keaton pulled off Batman.
(I never thought of him while we doing the casting threads, I would have chosen Jim Caviziel (sic), but I can see him doing this and doing it well.)
I just hope they don't make the armor look like it came from a rejected RoboCop design.
Take care, have fun-

The level of acting talent depends on the role. You don't need an ocscar winner to play iron man. Let's get serious here. This is Tony Stark aka Cliff Simon.

cliff.jpg

God, why are you people still *****ing about the drugs, honestly?
who cares.

zanos said:
The level of acting talent depends on the role. You don't need an ocscar winner to play iron man. Let's get serious here. This is Tony Stark aka Cliff Simon.

cliff.jpg
EW!
Sorry, no. Dude's skeazy. SKEAZY! I wouldn't trust him to wash my car!

I have no problems with RDJ as Stark. He gives the movie credibility in my mind and he's a good actor by the way. As far as the age thing is concerned who cares and the last thing i'll be thinking about when I see IM is RDJ's past drug problems. These days it seems everyone does drugs in one form or another anyways.

Hades said:
God, why are you people still *****ing about the drugs, honestly?
who cares.

Because everyone else in Hollywood is sober and clean and has never had an addiction. :cwink:

marcvader said:
I have no problems with RDJ as Stark. He gives the movie credibility in my mind and he's a good actor by the way. As far as the age thing is concerned who cares and the last thing i'll be thinking about when I see IM is RDJ's past drug problems. These days it seems everyone does drugs in one form or another anyways.

Agreed and that pic above of RDJ gives me more hope in that him being cast isn't all that bad. He's certainly looking like Stark there.

I'm happy with RDJ as Stark, I to am abit leary of his age, but if there are sequels, they will be done in just a few years of each other, and with make up and CGI it can take years off a persons age.
I believe Robert will surprise alot of nay sayers, he's extremly talented, Tony Stark is a very complex character and needed a good actor to portray him, not a guy that just looks like Tony and has limited range, this will not be another cookie cutter superhero flick, IMO.

zanos said:

cliff.jpg

Isn't that the actor who plays Bal on Stargate SG-1.

I think it's a good idea not to choose one of hollywood's famous "hotties" as the Tony Stark. I wouldn't like Iron Man to be known as just another pretty face.

I try to keep an open mind on all casting choices-really, I do-but I can't think of one reason to embrace Downey as Iron Man or any other superhero.

blah said:
I think it's a good idea not to choose one of hollywood's famous "hotties" as the Tony Stark. I wouldn't like Iron Man to be known as just another pretty face.
Although his face should be pretty - and the rest of him too. :word:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"