• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

E3 2009

Actually not really more enthusiastic, but he seemed more stressing on the whole 'this is a true sequel to MGS, it is, definitely'. Plus I believe he's directing and writing PW and he's not with Rising. So that may say something there, though I don't really know

Maybe not. That style has gotten pretty huge over here in the US, too.

Yeah, he looked sort of meh-ish about MGS:R. The Xbox guys were patting him on the back and he was just like, "Yeah, go me, yawn." I didn't see the Sony conference, but presumably he was more enthusiastic there?

Yeah. Near the end he kept putting an emphasis on Peace Walker being the true sequel, and also repeatedly made the point that it wasn't just a side project but that he was going to be heavily involved and write the script. It was almost like he wanted to reassure the audience that Peace Walker was his baby and he was going to put his all into it.

If I remember right Raiden was designed to please the ladies. Something about designing him to be attractive to girls since he felt they always got shafted (no pun intended....perverts) when it came to main characters appealing to them.

There was a DVD you got for pre-ordering Subsistence from GS where he talked about that. Konami basically wanted to get the Japanese population more with the game, as the MGS series as always been more popular in the West, and they did a lot of surveying to determine what the majority of the Japanese gaming population wanted. That did include young, school girls as well

There was a DVD you got for pre-ordering Subsistence from GS where he talked about that. Konami basically wanted to get the Japanese population more with the game, as the MGS series as always been more popular in the West, and they did a lot of surveying to determine what the majority of the Japanese gaming population wanted. That did include young, school girls as well

Ah, now I remember a bit better. Wasn't it something like they tested a female gamer and she said she didn't want to play some old guy anymore? So Raiden was designed to be more physically pleasing to female gamers or something? Anyway you're right.

Geez, that's an actual, valid complaint that they took seriously? "This guy's too old"? :csad:

Yeah, it was something like that. It's like Konami took all of those ideas from surveying and threw them at Kojima and crew and basically told them to design a character to suit all that. Thus, Raiden was born

No wonder a lot of hardcore MGS fans didn't like him. Corporate-mandated characters to broaden appeal rarely go over well at first. But it's nice that Kojima actually took the character and ran with it to the point that he's appealing to most fans now.

Okay I enjoyed writing up my thoughts on Sony at E3, so I wanted to do Microsoft and Nintendo to follow up. Hope you guys enjoy the read.

MS:

- As I'm sure many of you agree, Microsoft had the strongest showing at E3 for me. They got me really excited for a platform I don't even own. On one hand though, I think its kind of obvious MS were holding out big time for a fantastic E3. Before then, the console was going on pretty much Ninja Blade alone, and now its gotten new life.

- They had the best structure too, spoil us silly with the games, make with a bit of small talk, bring out Kojima, then show innovation off at the end. While I didn't like Natale, and I though Milo didn't belong on a games console of all things (it may work, but how many gamers want to sign on and talk to a virtual kid?), it was definately a bigger hit and more innovative than Sony's poorly presented motion controller.

- My biggest problem with the conference was easily the marketing babble. With Sony and Nintendo, you had very modest presenters that made little reference to competition. Microsoft always assault you with strong vocabulary that leaves no room for interpretation and opinion. Phrases like "The announcements we've made this morning were truly historic" and "The best line up of the best exclusives" really make me laugh, because they're simply not true, or that black and white. It just made the whole conference seem like "Why we're much better than Sony, no question", than "Here's a love letter to gamers", which is what the actual content made it.

- Epic Games are going to have a gained a lot of respect this year. 3 new great pieces of content for all 3 systems, Titan Pack, Shadow Complex, Dark Corners pack. They're pulled out all the stops for a year with no full retail release.

- Like I said before, Milo might be impressive, regardless of if it actually works, but I don't care about it. Much like I didn't care for Home, I don't go on my 360 to touch interactive water, speak to a fake human and help him solve fake homework.

- Bungie for me, put out the most impressive show. The talker was smooth and made me feel interested in ODST, making me forget they've bumped it up to a full game, which dissapoints me. Reach too looked awesome.

- I think a lot of people have already passed the Metal Gear announcement on as insignificant for many reasons. Firstly, anyone who was going to buy a platform for an MGS game already bought a PS3 for MGS4, and most 360 gamers will tell you that Sam's the way forward, MGS is ******ed. Also, a lot of people were disapointed with the Raiden focus, and Hideo Kojima has been taking diggs at the game ever since announcing it.

So I gave MS a 9 before, and I'll stick with that.

Nintendo

- I think these guys deserve a lot more credit than they got. They may have fed us a bit more BS with Wii Sports Resort, Fit Plus, and the Vitality Sensor, but no one seems to be having the kind of reaction to the final 2 announcements that I thought they would have. Super Mario Galaxy 2? Sequal to the highest rated exclusive of this gen? That should be Megaton! But it wasn't. And I'll kill a herd of baby deer to get my hands on a Team Ninja Metroid.

- Uh... I guess what else is there to say? Cammie's a *****!

I'll stick with that 7.

- Uh... I guess what else is there to say? Cammie's a *****!
Is she? I got that impression but I thought it was just me being cynical and judgmental again. She reminds me of this woman I work with. All sweet smiles to your face and then passive-aggressive bulls*** and smack talk behind your back.

Okay I enjoyed writing up my thoughts on Sony at E3, so I wanted to do Microsoft and Nintendo to follow up. Hope you guys enjoy the read.

Nice reviews. However, as a 360 owner I was more impressed with Sony's presentation overall, and it does made me wish that I have gotten a PS3 instead due to the exclusives that they will be getting (God of War 3, inFamous, and Rock Star North's Agent, etc). I never gotten into Halo so neither of the two titles really impressed me. Oh well, I'll just have to live with it and hope that M$ will have more great news in the future.

I agree that nobody cares about Raiden but I'd still rather have a state of the art fun new Metal Gear game for my 360 then have a ps1 looking game for my psp
PS1 looking game? Are you serious?

MGS - PS1

MGS: PW - PSP

Peace Walker is shaping up to be the best looking handheld game ever released, possibly better than many of the biggest PS2 titles

Why? He's just a clone afterall.
probably seeing them all together like that freaked him out. Besides Im not so sure thats a story screenshot. Could be a multplayer aspect

Were Big Boss and all his clones ever the same age?
Big Boss is the original so none of them were his age. The only clones that were the same age were Solid and Liquid. Solidus was actually younger than both of them but he physically aged at a faster rate

PS1 looking game? Are you serious?

MGS - PS1

MGS: PW - PSP

Peace Walker is shaping up to be the best looking handheld game ever released, possibly better than many of the biggest PS2 titles

The game looks amazing, but will it play good? Portable ops wasnt the best example of how to use a camera and controls on a psp. I need a different set up if I'm going to fall in love with this game. Portable Ops just didnt do it for me.

The game looks amazing, but will it play good? Portable ops wasnt the best example of how to use a camera and controls on a psp. I need a different set up if I'm going to fall in love with this game. Portable Ops just didnt do it for me.
Yeah the controls were the main thing that bothered me. I hope the game has support for the Dualshock 3 bc if it does, then thats a win for me

I agree that PO's control weren't ideal by any means, but it was a far cry from ruining the game. Once I got use to it I didn't have a whole lot of problems. Outside that aspect the game was fantastic

The official Best of E3 awards have been announced.

Best of Show
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Best Original Game
Scribblenauts

Best Console Game

Best PC Game
Star Wars: The Old Republic

Best Handheld Game
Scribblenauts

Best Hardware/Peripheral
"Project Natal"

Best Action Game
Modern Warfare 2

Best Action/Adventure Game

Best Role Playing Game
Mass Effect 2

Best Racing Game
Split/Second

Best Sports Game
Fight Night Round 4

Best Fighting Game
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars

Best Strategy Game
Supreme Commander 2

Best Social/Casual/Puzzle
DJ Hero

Best Online Multiplayer
Left 4 Dead 2

http://kotaku.com/5300689/game-critics-announce-the-official-best-of-e3

And with that, we can finally put a lid on E3. At least until next year. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"