E3 is...Cancelled?

Speedball

Don't. Blink.
Reaction score
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/721/721955p1.html

"E3 Cancelled?
The world's largest videogame convention may be no more.
by IGN Staff

July 30, 2006 - According to a report at Next-Generation, E3 2006 may have been the last Electronic Entertainment Expo ever, at least as we know it.

While no official announcement from the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) -- the foundation that organizes E3 -- has been made as of yet, the buzz around the videogame industry this weekend is that E3 is no more.

The reasons for the change are mostly economic. As Next-Generation reports, "the larger exhibitors have jointly decided that the costs of the event do not justify the returns, generally measured in media exposure." Larger companies such as Electronic Arts, Activision, and Midway have long organized their own individual gamer days for the press to see and play their upcoming titles. E3 is often much more hectic and overwhelming than individual events, so it looks like the larger publishers are questioning the value of displaying their wares on the jam-packed floors of the Los Angeles Convention Center (LACC).

There are rumblings that the trade show may go on in a different form. The new show would be vastly reduced in scope and scale, and move from its current location at the massive LACC to a smaller venue.

An official press announcement with more details is expected to hit the wire tomorrow. IGN will bring you more on this surprising story as we hear it."

Um.... I honestly don't know what to say.

Why have they killed video game christmas:(

Hopefully it gets moved east, so maybe I can go one day to the new one.

Where am I going to get the best source for making fun of Sony? :(

When I was young, shows like these didn't exist... :mad:
We used magazines and those doves with little helmets to get our videogame news :o
You all suck! :down

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6154897.html

GameSpot has learned that tomorrow the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) will announce changes to the format and scale of the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), the game industry event that typically draws in excess of 60,000 attendees and includes over 400 exhibitors.

On July 28, the Web site of UK trade magazine MCV reported discussions had taken place between the ESA and E3 exhibitors which addressed the future of the annual trade show. GameSpot spoke with informed game industry sources late Friday and Saturday and learned that the show would radically shrink in size and move from its usual Los Angeles Convention Center (LACC) venue to a smaller location.

Sources said that rather than fill the 540,000 square feet of the cavernous LACC, the show will take place at a location that would support exhibitors in meeting room space only, with companies showing their wares to a select group of attendees numbering in the hundreds rather than thousands.

One reason behind the downsizing of the show can be attributed to the dollar cost of the event to exhibitors, including the demands on companies to assign large numbers of staff to focus on the show, expenses associated with travel to the show, and the added expense to polish game builds and demos to be shown to attendees.

While the largest of E3 exhibitors could support their own marketing and promotion of upcoming games, the smaller companies which rely on the attention that E3 generates may have no recourse other than to market their games independently. But a smaller E3 would impact more than the game industry: the local hotel and related entertainment and service industries in Los Angeles take in more than $50 million during E3--the estimated amount attendees and businesses spend over the course of the three-day event.

One source added that the new format of the show may actually result in a more productive environment to demo games to the media, although they stopped short of full disclosure: "My lips are sealed until after the weekend," the source said.

An official statement from the ESA outlining the changes will be released on Monday, numerous sources said. E-mails to the ESA for comment were not returned at press time

SpeedballLives said:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/721/721955p1.html

"E3 Cancelled?
The world's largest videogame convention may be no more.
by IGN Staff

July 30, 2006 - According to a report at Next-Generation, E3 2006 may have been the last Electronic Entertainment Expo ever, at least as we know it.

While no official announcement from the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) -- the foundation that organizes E3 -- has been made as of yet, the buzz around the videogame industry this weekend is that E3 is no more.

The reasons for the change are mostly economic. As Next-Generation reports, "the larger exhibitors have jointly decided that the costs of the event do not justify the returns, generally measured in media exposure." Larger companies such as Electronic Arts, Activision, and Midway have long organized their own individual gamer days for the press to see and play their upcoming titles. E3 is often much more hectic and overwhelming than individual events, so it looks like the larger publishers are questioning the value of displaying their wares on the jam-packed floors of the Los Angeles Convention Center (LACC).

There are rumblings that the trade show may go on in a different form. The new show would be vastly reduced in scope and scale, and move from its current location at the massive LACC to a smaller venue.

An official press announcement with more details is expected to hit the wire tomorrow. IGN will bring you more on this surprising story as we hear it."

Um.... I honestly don't know what to say.

This sucks.

They should allow fans to attend, atleast for one day. That would bring in a huge revenue.

Spidey-Bat said:
They should allow fans to attend, atleast for one day. That would bring in a huge revenue.
That would be great.

It would be. People would have easily coughed up $30 to wait in a line for 5 hrs to play the Wii or PS3 for 2 min. They should keep the conferences to the press, but the exhibits should be open to everyone. That's a problem with a lot of shows; there are quite a few that are closed to the public.

Augh, I'm glad E3 is downsizing. It didn't mean much to me anyways. :(

Also, to expand on why I was gleeful that E3 is downsizing is.. It'll cut out alot of the bull**** that companies try to pull. A giant E3 is an incubator for large companies egos.. and it implores them to lie and release false information to impress more than a smaller event would.

A more contained and controlled atomsphere would also help with the companies exhibiting their wares. And like I said.. sometimes when the company is that bent on getting a standing ovation from all their fans, they lose sight of the goal: To accomplish something that truly represents their destination of what they will do with said console or game.

Will they keep the hot asian nurses?...please God let them keep the hot asian nurses!!!

they should just start offering a limited amount of tickets to it to help cover the expense...say, 1,000 1 day tickets for each day it goes on, for $100 a pop

Wow. In another thread, I just asked if today could get any worse, and it just did...

As long as this is just really downsizing and not cancellation, this could be a very good thing, if done right. If the companies spend less money to be at e3, it could mean a reinvestment into more public showings (EA Summer Nights) and possibly some companies trying that out for the first time. It could also lead to more controlled mini-conferences by the big 3 (Nintendo could bring back Spaceworld, Microsoft holds an annual event, Sony holds an annual event). It could also mean we get news at a more steady pace the months leading up to the time when E3 would be, instead of a complete halt in everything a month leading up to E3.

Again, though, this could be a good thing IF it's handled correctly.

This is Sony's ****ing fault. They screw up their big moment and let the Wii sweep them off their feet, so they use their gigantic influence to shut it down as a **** you to Nintendo and MS. Well **** you Sony.

****. You.

E3 was a HUGE moneysink anyway.

And it's not like there was that much info comming out of it that individual companies can't get out on their own (Blizzcon Style)

Damn, Ive been bidding my time til I was old enough to go (18 this week) and they decide to go ahead and cancel it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"