Xbox Fallout New Vegas 2 (Obsidian)

It shouldn't be a big surprise now that both Bethesda and Obsidian are under the same roof.

New Vegas is easily the best Bethesda Fallout game and Josh Sawyer is still at Obsidian so he could direct this sequel (hopefully he will).

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is real, it reaches completion, and its good. I like New Vegas, and would like to see more handling of Fallout by the people over at Obsidian.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is real, it reaches completion, and its good. I like New Vegas, and would like to see more handling of Fallout by the people over at Obsidian.
It seems like a no brainer if Obsidian genuinely want to do it. There’s certainly a ton of fan demand for it. Obsidian have tons of projects in the works at the moment so even if this goes anywhere I imagine it will be a long old time before they would be able to get it done.

It shouldn't be a big surprise now that both Bethesda and Obsidian are under the same roof.

New Vegas is easily the best Bethesda Fallout game and Josh Sawyer is still at Obsidian so he could direct this sequel (hopefully he will).
I heard that he may not be as keen to do AAA going forward. We’ll see. I’ll be very happy if he’s involved in FNV2 but I understand not everyone wants to be stuck in mega-projects with so many moving pieces and pressure later in their career, and it’s a big plus having him working on other smaller projects for Obsidian even if this is the truth about his future preferences.

I heard that he may not be as keen to do AAA going forward.
I know he got burnt out with the back-to-back Pillars of Eternity games and they're not AAA games.

He's currently working on a non-violent RPG on an even smaller scale than PoE. I guess he wants to take a breather before going back to a big project, whether it's AA or AAA.

If the opportunity presents itself and he's up for it, sure, he should definitely be part of it.

However, one of the important pieces of NV's success was John Gonzalez and he left Obsidian a long time ago. FYI, he went on to WB Games and helped create the Nemesis system for Shadow of Mordor.

If the opportunity presents itself and he's up for it, sure, he should definitely be part of it.

However, one of the important pieces of NV's success was John Gonzalez and he left Obsidian a long time ago. FYI, he went on to WB Games and helped create the Nemesis system for Shadow of Mordor.
Nice, so he continued to make waves elsewhere too. Maybe he’ll come back one day. :D

I think modern Obsidian have a good enough team to do a decent Fallout game though while Bethesda are tied up with Elder Scrolls, and all the better if Josh Sawyer wants to be a part of it.

Sawyer and Fallouts original creator's Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarski are at Obsidian. A real Fallout game from these three running on tech that isn't complete dog **** would be amazing. In a perfect world Todd Howard and BGS would never touch Fallout again.

Sawyer and Fallouts original creator's Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarski are at Obsidian. A real Fallout game from these three running on tech that isn't complete dog **** would be amazing. In a perfect world Todd Howard and BGS would never touch Fallout again.
I’d rather Bethesda focused on ES and Starfield and let Obsidian/Inexile work on Fallout. Otherwise it’s too much time between games too.

I’d rather Bethesda focused on ESO and Starfield and let Obsidian/Inexile work on Fallout. Otherwise it’s too much time between games too.

My thing is with Fallout 4, BGS played their hand completely. They showed me that learned absolutely nothing between 3 and 4 and are content with just releasing the same **** again and again. They even made one of the DLCs a literal theme park which is a direct reference to longtime fans criticism of 3.

I just hope Microsoft is smart enough to give it to people who care about the IP and not people just trying to move vault boy merch with as little effort as possible.

My thing is with Fallout 4, BGS played their hand completely. They showed me that learned absolutely nothing between 3 and 4 and are content with just releasing the same **** again and again. They even made one of the DLCs a literal theme park which is a direct reference to longtime fans criticism of 3.

I just hope Microsoft is smart enough to give it to people who care about the IP and not people just trying to move vault boy merch with as little effort as possible.
I doubt Spencer and co want to ruffle Howard’s feathers by dictating that kind of thing but hopefully Howard himself can see with the years it takes to make games of this size and complexity in the 2020s it’s going be 2 decades between entries of Starfield, ES and Fallout. Just hope he can hand off Fallout to Obsidian for the next game once Obsidian are free as they seem to be very up for making one. Maybe he falls totally in love with Starfield and wants Bethesda to focus on that and then ES.

The only way we can get a Fallout in any non-ridiculous timeframe is for Bethesda not to make it, and buying Bethesda and having no Fallout for so long undercuts some of the value of the acquisition. A shame these can’t be made at the speed and quality of that run with Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion and Skyrim. Would take a life age of the Earth to see 4 Bethesda full scale single player games now. :csad:

I doubt Spencer and co want to ruffle Howard’s feathers by dictating that kind of thing but hopefully Howard himself can see with the years it takes to make games of this size and complexity in the 2020s it’s going be 2 decades between entries of Starfield, ES and Fallout. Just hope he can hand off Fallout to Obsidian for the next game once Obsidian are free as they seem to be very up for making one. Maybe he falls totally in love with Starfield and wants Bethesda to focus on that and then ES.

The only way we can get a Fallout in any non-ridiculous timeframe is for Bethesda not to make it, and buying Bethesda and having no Fallout for so long undercuts some of the value of the acquisition. A shame these can’t be made at the speed and quality of that run with Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion and Skyrim. Would take a life age of the Earth to see 4 Bethesda full scale single player games now. :csad:
Todd Howard is the video game equivalent of a used car salesman and arguably an even bigger liar than Peter Molyneux so Microsoft potentially stepping on his toes is why I'm glad they purchased Bethesda to begin with but I also hold the unpopular opinion that BGS is not and never has been good at what they do. If Starfield ****s the bed at launch, hopefully Todd is out and they can get some new blood in there.

I’d rather Bethesda focused on ES and Starfield and let Obsidian/Inexile work on Fallout. Otherwise it’s too much time between games too.
Todd Howard is the video game equivalent of a used car salesman and arguably an even bigger liar than Peter Molyneux so Microsoft potentially stepping on his toes is why I'm glad they purchased Bethesda to begin with but I also hold the unpopular opinion that BGS is not and never has been good at what they do. If Starfield ****s the bed at launch, hopefully Todd is out and they can get some new blood in there.
I can't entirely dismiss Howard as used car salesman since he saved the Elder Scrolls series from certain doom, re-invented it, and gave me one of my favourite games of all time in the process, Morrowind. However, his stewardship of the franchise and direction of BGS as whole since then has left much to be desired. In chasing mainstream success, Oblivion and Skyrim have become increasingly generic high fantasy. I miss the moral ambiguity and shades of grey and crazy metaphysics of Morrowind-era of TES lore. In Morrowind, the main quest was a highlight with all of its intrigues and uncertain. Are you actually Azura's appointed saviour of the Dunmer people or simply an Imperial agent sent to reinforce the loyalty of an unruly province. The loss of Michael Kirkbride has really hurt the series.

I can't entirely dismiss Howard as used car salesman since he saved the Elder Scrolls series from certain doom, re-invented it, and gave me one of my favourite games of all time in the process, Morrowind. However, his stewardship of the franchise and direction of BGS as whole since then has left much to be desired. In chasing mainstream success, Oblivion and Skyrim have become increasingly generic high fantasy. I miss the moral ambiguity and shades of grey and crazy metaphysics of Morrowind-era of TES lore. In Morrowind, the main quest was a highlight with all of its intrigues and uncertain. Are you actually Azura's appointed saviour of the Dunmer people or simply an Imperial agent sent to reinforce the loyalty of an unruly province. The loss of Michael Kirkbride has really hurt the series.
He’s got the passion I want from a studio head and I also don’t think he’s an outright liar - just someone who is over-excited before he knows what his very ambitious (usually too ambitious and too large) game worlds can achieve. He usually goes a little too big which means the number of bugs get out of control. He’s a head in the clouds dreamer and I don’t fault him for that, but he needs to be more conscious of the fact that gamers/fans (like me) will hang on to every word and treat it as gospel and so will be very disappointed when some of the things he’s envisioning and spilling the beans on early don’t happen.

@Joe Von Zombie too, I wonder what his plans are anyway after all these years in the industry. Many would start making retirement plans at this stage for the future and with how long these games now take he’s only going to be able to be around for so many more entries anyway. With the current schedule the next Bethesda Fallout game after ES could be 10-14 years away, the next one after that another 15-21 years after that. ES is my priority and favourite with fantasy my favourite setting. I need Bethesda either to be able to get significantly more resources to expedite all the technical work or to hand off at least one franchise to another capable studio like Obsidian.

If Starfield fails, then anything’s possible. You can’t release games so infrequently with these kinds of budgets and have them fail. I’m sure the guy will only hang around while he feels he can still make top quality games. He won’t be struggling for money at this point and could be tempted to cash in and get on a yacht rather than ruin the legacy he believes he has.

He’s got the passion I want from a studio head and I also don’t think he’s an outright liar - just someone who is over-excited before he knows what his very ambitious (usually too ambitious and too large) game worlds can achieve
This is where you where you and I disagree because I don't think Todd Howard has any passion at all and it's very much reflected in his games. They're soulless time sinks with design decisions that seemingly come from bong rips rather than a place of creativity or basic ludology. He helped usher in the "Wide as an ocean but as shallow as a puddle" school of game design that still permeates triple A games today. When I think developers who actually have passion for their craft, I think of people like Carmack, Romero, Spector, Sawyer, Avellone, Cain , Smith etc. He's always come off as a guy oversells his products for the big day one sales numbers. The fact that he's constantly oversold his products for almost 20 years now tells me he knows exactly what he's a doing. He's a guy that helped make a lot of people's first open world RPG and has largely been given a free pass for it ever sense. I feel like being a non fan of his work gave little bit of advantage in this regard because I've been able to see how full of **** he was since fallout 3. The reason they bought Fallout in the first place was to have a respected IP that they could easily dump into their busted tech and merchandise the hell out of. A few years back it came out that a lot folks that worked on Fallout 3 never even played Fallout before. Wouldn't be surprised if Todd was one of them considering what we got. I am glad that the general gaming public is finally starting to catch on but that's largely in part to mainstream gaming journalism losing the ability to control the narrative.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"