Feige: "more than half of [heroes] will be women."

What is the essence of Nebula or Mantis that James Gunn captured and tremendously loves? Those seem like two examples of huge failures as adaptations, whether or not the new characters in the MCU are good ones.

What is the essence of Nebula or Mantis that James Gunn captured and tremendously loves? Those seem like two examples of huge failures as adaptations, whether or not the new characters in the MCU are good ones.

I will admit that we haven't quite received "The Most Dangerous Woman in the Unvierse" vibe from Gamora. But Gunn did a wonderful job capturing their complex relationship to each other and to Thanos. Gillan has been great, and appears as though she were ripped right from the comics. Saldana was absolutely wonderful in Infinity War. I doubt many hardcore fans of both characters are complaining about their big screen portrayals.

I find it funny how the fandom seems to enthusiastically support the MCU changing every female superhero costume while X-Men get nothing but grief no matter how faithful they are to the comics:

X-Men-Apocalypse-Olivia-Munn-Psylocke-Skills.jpg

Well personally I've never hade the hate for the X-films that some other fans seem to. And honestly the problem with that was, yet again, context. All of the other Horsemen got outfits that looked both battle-ready and had a similar theme that tied them to Apocalypse. Whereas Psylocke, who had a less revealing outfit when she was working in Caliban's club, just has her comic one.

It made Apocalypse look like kind of a perv actually. :cwink:

MCU Black Widow has her '70s costume, yes.
Maria Hill doesn't wear the black spandex with white leather boots/belts, but otherwise counts.
Pepper Potts is a close match.

The Scarlet Witch doesn't even wear scarlet. She has a half black/half brick red outfit from Hot Topic. Compare, well, 5 comics options they had:

scarlet-witch-costumes.jpg

Gamora has worn a black bikini and Stormtrooper armor, and originally looked like this:

Gamora-Marvel-Comics-Guardians-Galaxy-Infinity-Watch-c.jpg

... which the MCU changed to colorless motorcycle leathers.

Marvel's original Mantis:

mantis-in-the-marvel-comics-lately-shes-been-green-and-more-alien-looking.jpeg

Marvel's original Valkyrie:

5f1f3a945970a6b19c00c0b8383bebd0.jpg

That's four superheroines they completely changed off the top of my head, vs. one superheroine and two supporting characters.

yeah, no you got the whole thing in your head.

Captain Marvel looks like the comics.
Scarlet Witch looks like the comics. Have you seen her Uncanny Avengers outfit?
Maria Hill looks like the comics.
Black Widow looks like the comics.
Okoye the same.
Nebula as well (she is more of her hero than villain).
Wasp looks just like the comics+ a helmet.

I count way more than just 2.

yeah, no you got the whole thing in your head.

... he says while quoting 4 images of heroines who were completely changed by MCU directors.

Captain Marvel looks like the comics.
Scarlet Witch looks like the comics. Have you seen her Uncanny Avengers outfit?

Captain Marvel I'll grant. I didn't know if the images online of Larson in the blue and red were official or shopped.
Yes, I've seen Wanda's Uncanny Avengers outfit:

1100159.jpg

If they changed it to look like the non-scarlet Hot Topic outfit since Summer 2015, that doesn't count.

Maria Hill looks like the comics.
Black Widow looks like the comics.
Okoye the same.

Right, that's three. Five counting Pepper and Captain Marvel.

Nebula as well (she is more of her hero than villain).
Wasp looks just like the comics+ a helmet.

Nebula:

4674e978922bfdbb-600x400.jpg

Hope Pym:

latest

Of course Hope is a special case because she was an obscuro "MC2" character. I'd have counted any of her mom's many costumes as "comics accurate".

You should really read the Annihilation comic series. In it Nebula looks pretty damn close to her big screen counterpart.

screen-shot-2017-02-06-at-12627-pmpng.png

Also MCU Scarlet Witch's costumes is closer to her Uncanny Avengers one (although not exact).

She-Hulk
Spider-Woman
Ms. Marvel
Spectrum
Elsa Bloodstone
Ms. America
Hawkeye
Stature
Tigra
Phyla-Vell
Moondragon
Angela
Silverclaw
Clea
Jocasta
Sersi
Songbird
Thundra
White Tiger
Added two more characters, White Tiger and Thundra. See? It simply isn't true that Marvel doesn't have access to good superheroines. "But but but the X-Women!!!" is just an excuse.

Lol. I actually like some of these costumes, but it's so true.

You should really read the Annihilation comic series. In it Nebula looks pretty damn close to her big screen counterpart.

Oh, huh. So she's been a cyborg since 2006? Fair enough.

Let's look at what Marvel have to work with in terms of new female heroes.

Avengers: Tigra, She-Hulk, Spider-Woman, Echo, Silverclaw, White Tiger, Pod, Diamondback (Rachel), Arachne, Sersi, Kate Bishop, Cybermancer, Synapse, America Chavez, Finesse, Hazmat, Monica Chang, Veil (and bring Mockingbird, Jessica Jones, Hellcat, Squirrel Girl and Crystal into the films since they ARE Avengers and turn Pepper into Rescue and Cassie into Stature)
Guardians of the Galaxy: Martyr, Moondragon, Nikki Gold
Thunderbolts: Songbird, Moonstone, Joystick, Jolt, Amazon, Skein, Troll, Satana

And if the Fox deal clears
Fantastic Four: Invisible Woman, Thundra
X-Men: Storm, Rogue, Domino, Emma Frost, Jean Grey, Psylocke, Polaris, Shadowcat, Jubilee, Surge, Mercury, Magik, Pixie, Tempus, M, Wolfsbane, Marrow, Dust, Husk, Layla Miller, Gaia, Wind Dancer, Penance/Hollow, X-23, U-Go Girl, Wallflower, Loa, Rachel Summers, Cipher, Siryn, Mirage, Meltdown, Feral, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, Mystique, Magma, Blindfold, Danger, Dead Girl, Stacy X, Trinary, Blink, Frenzy, Skids, Venus Dee Milo, Bling
Alpha Flight: Aurora, Vindicator, Marina, Snowbird

That's a whole lot of characters we haven't seen yet.

Added two more characters, White Tiger and Thundra. See? It simply isn't true that Marvel doesn't have access to good superheroines. "But but but the X-Women!!!" is just an excuse.

Lol. I actually like some of these costumes, but it's so true.
Don't forget Monica Rambeau.

Let's look at what Marvel have to work with in terms of new female heroes.

Avengers: Tigra, She-Hulk, Spider-Woman, Echo, Silverclaw, White Tiger, Pod, Diamondback (Rachel), Arachne, Sersi, Kate Bishop, Cybermancer, Synapse, America Chavez, Finesse, Hazmat, Monica Chang, Veil (and bring Mockingbird, Jessica Jones, Hellcat, Squirrel Girl and Crystal into the films since they ARE Avengers and turn Pepper into Rescue and Cassie into Stature)
Guardians of the Galaxy: Martyr, Moondragon, Nikki Gold
Thunderbolts: Songbird, Moonstone, Joystick, Jolt, Amazon, Skein, Troll, Satana

And if the Fox deal clears
Fantastic Four: Invisible Woman, Thundra
X-Men: Storm, Rogue, Domino, Emma Frost, Jean Grey, Psylocke, Polaris, Shadowcat, Jubilee, Surge, Mercury, Magik, Pixie, Tempus, M, Wolfsbane, Marrow, Dust, Husk, Layla Miller, Gaia, Wind Dancer, Penance/Hollow, X-23, U-Go Girl, Wallflower, Loa, Rachel Summers, Cipher, Siryn, Mirage, Meltdown, Feral, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, Mystique, Magma, Blindfold, Danger, Dead Girl, Stacy X, Trinary, Blink, Frenzy, Skids, Venus Dee Milo, Bling
Alpha Flight: Aurora, Vindicator, Marina, Snowbird

That's a whole lot of characters we haven't seen yet.
X-Men: Sabra. Cecilia Reyes. Daytripper. Nocturne. Moira MacTaggert. Sage. Boom Boom. Danielle Moonstar. Stepford Cuckoos (The good ones). Meggan Braddock/Pucceanu

Women:
Black Widow
Yelena Belova
Thena
Makkari
Ajak
Sprite
Sersi
Awkwafina's character in Shang-Chi
Scarlet Witch
Valkyrie
Jane Foster
Sharon Carter
Monica Rambeau
Kate Bishop
Ms. Marvel
She-Hulk
Captain Marvel
Shuri
Okoye

Men:
Ikaris
Kingo
Phastos
Gilgamesh
Black Knight
Shang-Chi
Doctor Strange
Wong
Thor
Falcon
Winter Soldier
Vision
Korg
Loki
Hawkeye
Moon Knight
Black Panther

He wasn't lying. Well done, Feige.

Women:
Black Widow
Yelena Belova
Thena
Makkari
Ajak
Sprite
Sersi
Awkwafina's character in Shang-Chi
Scarlet Witch
Valkyrie
Jane Foster
Sharon Carter
Monica Rambeau
Kate Bishop
Ms. Marvel
She-Hulk
Captain Marvel
Shuri
Okoye

There's also Wasp and Nakia. Does Janet count too? I want to see her in action. Also Peper Potts? Oh, the 3 girls from Guardians.

Edit: Oh, nevermind. You're counting only characters from future movies already announced, right?

Anyway, there's still Nakia.

Well we know GOTG 3 will be happening so that'd be 3 female characters (Nebula, Mantis, and Gamora) and 4 male/masculine characters (Quill, Drax, Rocket, and Groot) to add to the list.

There's also Wasp and Nakia. Does Janet count too? I want to see her in action. Also Peper Potts? Oh, the 3 girls from Guardians.

Edit: Oh, nevermind. You're counting only characters from future movies already announced, right?
Yeah I was trying to stick to movies/shows that have been confirmed. GotG3 has only technically been confirmed.

I also forgot Blade... another male character but his movie is likely going to introduce at least one female hero.

I feel like including Sharon Carter is really scraping. Unless F&WS is going to make her a lot more substantial.

But then I also wouldn't count Korg and Loki, seeing as how neither are really heroes by any stretch of the imagination.

how would u guys feel if X-Men 1 had 4 females and just 2 males?

something like:

Cyclops
Jean Grey
Storm
Rogue
Jubilee
and Beast?

I feel like including Sharon Carter is really scraping. Unless F&WS is going to make her a lot more substantial.
I think they will, otherwise why are they bringing her back.

I get what you're saying about Loki but technically he's still the "hero" of his own show and I doubt Marvel will make him too villainous. Korg is definitely a hero though, and Taika said that he will have a larger role in Love and Thunder.

something like:

Cyclops
Jean Grey
Storm
Rogue
Jubilee
and Beast?

I'd prefer a larger team in general. At least 7, preferably 8 not counting Xavier. Everything depends on story, though.

I'd also prefer Rogue get a proper villain backstory - which, if you can make it happen in the first film, great, but otherwise save her for the sequel.

something like:

Cyclops
Jean Grey
Storm
Rogue
Jubilee
and Beast?

That looks wrong for a core team. That’s exactly why X-men red feels wrong from the moment you look at the covers. It’s okay for an issue or two though, definitely not okay for x1

for X-men no gender should be outnumbered except by one person maximum

It’s the avengers where the majority is male, but I wouldn’t mind one film for female avengers to assemble, and I can definitely see it being captain marvel 2

something like:

Cyclops
Jean Grey
Storm
Rogue
Jubilee
and Beast?

I approve of this line-up!!

If the Eternals is any indication, the X-Men team will probably have more than 6 heroes.

And yeah, I think the X-Men movies might be investing a little more in female protagonism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"