Rogue One Felicity Jones is Jyn Erso in Rogue One

Good Morning America - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story | Felicity Jones Interview

LIVE with Kelly - Felicity Jones Talks "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story"

tumblr_ohho1kai9I1raqj6fo1_500.png

tumblr_ohho1kai9I1raqj6fo2_500.png

Having just seen Rogue One this week I gotta say...I think I may have found a new favorite character in the star wars universe...it's just too bad we probably wont ever see her again...Jyn Erso :ilv:

Saturday Night Live - SNL Host Felicity Jones' Team Is a Bunch of Troopers

Felicty looked so nervous when she was hosting SNL. She had her eyes glued to the cue cards.

I loved that princess sketch though.

She was adorable on SNL. Weird to see the way she was on the show compared to in Rogue One haha. Great actress.

Felicty looked so nervous when she was hosting SNL. She had her eyes glued to the cue cards.

I loved that princess sketch though.

I loved the Beard Hunk sketch. She did a pretty decent, ditzy american girl act.

For whatever reason I'd not actually seen much of her work before Rogue One so did underestimate her. As with Godzilla I think Edwards pushing the performance in a rather different way to what we've come to expect from blockbusters in recent years, rather than broad and a bit over the top we get something much more subtle.

As with Edwarsd previous film I think that maybe explains the love/hate situation with Rogue One? most of the criticism does seem to fall under "boring" more than anything else. In the first half of the film a lot of the drama basically depends on not overly broad reaction shots from a character who's sposed to be pretty emotionally repressed so perhaps not easy to pickup on if your not used to or not expecting that kind of performance?

Someone should do a case study , track opinions of the film relative to one of those eye emotion quizs :woot:

https://www.questionwritertracker.com/quiz/61/Z4MK3TKB.html

For whatever reason I'd not actually seen much of her work before Rogue One so did underestimate her. As with Godzilla I think Edwards pushing the performance in a rather different way to what we've come to expect from blockbusters in recent years, rather than broad and a bit over the top we get something much more subtle.

As with Edwarsd previous film I think that maybe explains the love/hate situation with Rogue One? most of the criticism does seem to fall under "boring" more than anything else. In the first half of the film a lot of the drama basically depends on not overly broad reaction shots from a character who's sposed to be pretty emotionally repressed so perhaps not easy to pickup on if your not used to or not expecting that kind of performance?

Someone should do a case study , track opinions of the film relative to one of those eye emotion quizs :woot:

https://www.questionwritertracker.com/quiz/61/Z4MK3TKB.html

Yes! I agree, 100%. I feel like subtle is a good word when it comes to Rogue One, because it didn't spoon-feed us everything, nor was it constantly and relentlessly on-the-go like a JJ Abrams or Michael Bay movie. I'm honestly shocked that so many people describe Rogue One as boring, because I didn't get that at all while watching it. I find the buildup during the first half very interesting, and I appreciate the fact that it's slow enough to let us breathe, which is something that most movies these days don't do. Slow isn't bad as long as what's going on is interesting, which I felt like Rogue One successfully pulled off. Rogue One actually reminds me a lot of a 70s-era movie, which was when movies were beginning to get more fast-paced, but not excessively so like many movies are today.

As for Jyn, I thought she was a great character. I agree that she's handled much more subtly than usual, and I loved that. I'm surprised that so many people think Rey is a better character because she's more "charismatic". Yes, Rey spoke louder and had more punchlines, but I felt like Jyn did a much better job of capturing a wold-weary character who finds a sense of purpose.

Yes! I agree, 100%. I feel like subtle is a good word when it comes to Rogue One, because it didn't spoon-feed us everything, nor was it constantly and relentlessly on-the-go like a JJ Abrams or Michael Bay movie. I'm honestly shocked that so many people describe Rogue One as boring, because I didn't get that at all while watching it. I find the buildup during the first half very interesting, and I appreciate the fact that it's slow enough to let us breathe, which is something that most movies these days don't do. Slow isn't bad as long as what's going on is interesting, which I felt like Rogue One successfully pulled off. Rogue One actually reminds me a lot of a 70s-era movie, which was when movies were beginning to get more fast-paced, but not excessively so like many movies are today.

As for Jyn, I thought she was a great character. I agree that she's handled much more subtly than usual, and I loved that. I'm surprised that so many people think Rey is a better character because she's more "charismatic". Yes, Rey spoke louder and had more punchlines, but I felt like Jyn did a much better job of capturing a wold-weary character who finds a sense of purpose.

It does obviously have some modern aspects to it but yeah uit definitely felt like an earlier period blockbuster to me with of course the original SW films being the classic example.

Personally I tend to thank that nostalgia of the original SW films has actually shifted somewhat away from what they actually were. They seem to have become the ultimate representation of the 80's blockbuster yet I think they are actually films that have one foot in that camp and the other still in grittier 70's new wave drama.

With The Force Awakens for example the part of the original trilogy of films it reminded me most of was actually the Ewok section of Return of the Jedi which pushed most into that 80's style playing up constant light humour and a desire to constantly entertain.

Jyn and Rey to me seem like the best representation of this to me, both characters that not always depend much on dialog but emotionally Rey is clearly MUCH broader and more obvious. You look at say Carrie Fisher in Empire and outside the odd bit of comic banter with Han I think that's actually much more similar to Felicity Jones performance. Watch the start of the film for example when she goes into the control room and is just reacting to Han saying he's leaving and I can almost here Edwards saying "that's what I was after".

I took my own advice by the way did that test, 34/36 so perhaps theres something in it? :woot:

Last edited:
She was much better than I was expecting. Appreciated the performance more on subsequent viewings.

There's something in the way Felicity conveys emotion... she does it better than Daisy Ridley did in TFA. Subtle but a lot of turmoil and suppressed emotion as well.

It is unfair to compare the two since Felicity only had one film to explore the character (while Daisy has three) but I felt Jyn was really well-rounded overall.

There's something in the way Felicity conveys emotion... she does it better than Daisy Ridley did in TFA. Subtle but a lot of turmoil and suppressed emotion as well.

It is unfair to compare the two since Felicity only had one film to explore the character (while Daisy has three) but I felt Jyn was really well-rounded overall.

Yeah, I completely agree. I felt like Felicity Jones had a very nuanced performance while Daisy Ridley kind of makes the same few faces throughout the entire movie. Felicity Jones did a much better job making the character feel like a real person (along with the people who wrote her character.) Rey always feels a bit surface-level to me, hopefully this changes in TLJ and I feel a bit more invested.

Variety - Why Constance Wu Doesn’t Want to Be in ‘Star Wars’

When Felicity Jones tells Constance Wu that “we would love to have you” in future “Star Wars” films, Wu doesn’t immediately jump at the chance to join the sci-fi empire.

Although she loves the movies, Wu says she doesn’t want to be “stuck in a long contract” for multiple installments, especially given that she has starred in ABC’s “Fresh Off the Boat” for five years.

“I want to take roles that challenge me in different ways every year,” she says during Variety’s Actors on Actors series. “I’m ready for something new, so thinking about that makes me feel like it’s golden shackles.”

Jones, who appeared as Jyn Erso in 2016’s “Rogue One,” expresses the opposite sentiment and says she’d love to reprise her role in the “Star Wars” world and have “a little bit of that stability.”

“I loved playing that character so I actually, in an opposite way, I would really like to have more consistency and come back and bring Jyn back,” she says. “I would actually like that for a couple of years.”

Wu does agree that after the overwhelming press tour for “Crazy Rich Asians,” it was nice coming back to “Fresh Off the Boat” and seeing familiar faces and sets.

“Maybe ‘Star Wars’ could be my new ‘Fresh Off the Boat'” she says.

LOL what a horrible click-bait title, cause the whole gist of the interview is she actually comes around in the end, after hearing Felicity Jones desire for a character that would offer that stability in a recurring role. Constance Wu acknowledges that it could actually be a good thing if they pursued her for it.
The title makes it seem the opposite, which sadly is all some will take away.

Anyway, more interesting was Jones, it's nice to hear her still be so fond of the character. And I'd love to see her get a shot a bringing Jyn Erso back, as she suggests.
Maybe in a parallel running story in the R1 TV series.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"