Rogue One General Rogue One News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - Part 6

It sounds like the changes were for the better.

Poor Pablo...I can just picture his head about ready to explode at this point:

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg

Wasn't it the second Death Star plans that were "stolen" by the Bothans? Mon Mothma wasn't even in the original Star Wars.

Wasn't it the second Death Star plans that were "stolen" by the Bothans? Mon Mothma wasn't even in the original Star Wars.

That's a struggle that Lucasfilm has been having during the entire promotion of Rogue One: getting some people to understand that Bothans brought information about the second Death Star to the Rebellion...not the first one.

And the information the Bothans brought about Death Star II wasn't even necessarily the plans. In fact, going by the wording of Pablo's tweet...it wasn't the plans at all. It was information:

• the location of the Death Star II
  • the weapons systems allegedly not being operational
  • the Imperial fleet allegedly being away
  • the Emperor being on board the battle station

This was everything Sidious wanted the Rebels to know/believe as he laid a trap for them on/above Endor.

Don't forget the Bothans also hijacked the Imperial Shuttle that Han and crew used to bypass the shield generator on Endor.

That's a struggle that Lucasfilm has been having during the entire promotion of Rogue One: getting some people to understand that Bothans brought information about the second Death Star to the Rebellion...not the first one.

And the information the Bothans brought about Death Star II wasn't even necessarily the plans. In fact, going by the wording of Pablo's tweet...it wasn't the plans at all. It was information:

• the location of the Death Star II
  • the weapons systems allegedly not being operational
  • the Imperial fleet allegedly being away
  • the Emperor being on board the battle station

This was everything Sidious wanted the Rebels to know/believe as he laid a trap for them on/above Endor.

Yeah thats why I could never understand why the old EU tended to rave about the skill of the Bothan Spy network... who were most famous for information Palpatine leaked to them.

Don't forget the Bothans also hijacked the Imperial Shuttle that Han and crew used to bypass the shield generator on Endor.

Actually I don't think that is canon anymore, the canon story of how the Rebels got the shuttle was told in the 2015 junior novel Moving Target and has Leia along with a Rebel team including Nien Nunb being the ones that got it. TBH I'm not sure how much the Bothans are in the new Disney canon stories so far.

Yeah thats why I could never understand why the old EU tended to rave about the skill of the Bothan Spy network... who were most famous for information Palpatine leaked to them.

:funny:

Just saw Rouge One a few hours ago. It was a very entertaining time in the theatre. There was some great action in the film, with the Battle of Scariff being a standout! Didn't enjoy many characters aside from Cassian, K-2SO and of course, VADER!!! :hmr:

Something that wasn't seen in the movie.
IydrKcR.jpg

That is ****ing terrifying.

Lobot (beta phase)

In the Visual Dictionary it makes a few mentions of a fugitive surgeon on Jedha who is carrying out some highly illegal operations, using the name Roofoo and SawKee. Both on wounded people (it also mentions an investigator on Jedha who is tracking the surgeon and his accomplice for kidnapping, forced servitude and surgical alterations).

Another victim is Caysin Bog. (in the first trailer you seem to see him when the tank goes by in the Jedha street.

latest

While its not said outright in the Dictionary its highly likely that the fugitive surgeon was Dr Cornelius Evazan along with Ponda Baba.

‘
i am surpised that they admit so much so fast.

I'm not that surprised.
I never really felt they were hiding much. (besides the usual we don't want to give away the story all sworn to secrecy standard)
Just cause the internet and some here went into melt down it's a cover-up conspiracy mode. They obviously weren't going to release specif details, but they seemed pretty upfront about the fact of the reshoots. Especially about syncing up the tone and particularly the end to Episode IV, which they nailed!

The fact of the added Cassian Andor intro (shooting the jittery informant) is pretty interesting detail, that "new" scene, really set the unexpected tone for the rest of the film, until the end.
The novel makes it a bit clearer the nervous informant is about to crack, he can't escape and caught by the approaching troopers he would break under the threat of torture, giving away the info and what the Rebels were looking for. Hence Cassian's shocking move.

It's funny looking back at some of the complaints convinced that reshoots had to mean Disney was softening up the tone and characters.
When it was the exact opposite!

Last edited:
Gareth Edwards said:
"Two days ago we got to show George the movie, and we all had a phone call and I got to speak with him yesterday, and I don't want to put words into his mouth, but I can honestly say that I can die happy now. He really liked the movie. It meant a lot. To be honest, and no offense to anyone here, it was the most important review to me. You know, you guys are important too, but he's kind of god... I will take that conversation to my grave. His opinion means the world to me."
Besides the Gareth Edwards quote above, have there been any interviews, commentaries exact quotes by George Lucas on his opinions of R1?
Any links thanks!
Especially curious on if/how he feels R1 in anyway personally affects his viewing of Star Wars ?

-

Also several have suggested in lieu of choppy prologue, they missed having the opening crawl.
Anyone seen or have their own take on what the opening crawl to R1 could have read as, want to (bravely) share your own written take on it.:cwink:

Last edited:
Ideally the opening crawl would have explained who Galen Erso was, why he fled the Empire, and who Krennic was and that he was after Erso. Yes, we find all that out anyways, but I think it would have been better for the opening scene if we knew that from the beginning.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have minded a crawl, though I don't know what music they would have used under it. The classic music is Luke's Theme and he isn't in this movie so they really couldn't use that, but fans wouldn't have tolerated seeing the crawl with any other music.

On the whole though I think they should have had a crawl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"