Gina Carano is No Longer Cara Dune... Fortunately

Okay... I guess that's true. I'm sure the Plinkett reviews have inspired a lot of copycats who think negativity and snark are goals in themselves.

Plinkett definitely inspired some pretty nasty stuff. Most copycats don't understand the self-deprecation required to pull off a comedic loathsome character.

I admittedly like those Plinkett Star Wars Prequel reviews and find them very insightful, and see some truth in a lot of the other stuff they’ve covered, even if I still don’t completely agree with them, but I think a lot of the Alt-Right based YouTube “criticism” was engendered from observing the Plinkett review format and learning the wrong lessons.

While some of the Plinkett reviews can be negative, they’re usually very thoughtful, without malice and self-deprecating. They aren’t meant to be mean-spirited, which is why you can still find humor in them even if you disagree. A lot YouTubers like Mauler come at critiquing from a place of spite, distrust, hate and not wanting to understand something, because they are “in the right”. They completely lack any empathy, therefore their criticism falls flat and their jokes aren’t funny. It’s always with the goal of tearing down, like the Left is out to get them and tear down societal norms and their values or something. It’s the Alt-Right playbook.

These YouTubers don’t cover Gina Carano out of the goodness of their heart. They do it because it fulfills the great YouTube algorithm of receiving views and attention from their “adoring” fans who put them on their pedestal and platform they are determined not to lose. They know if they stop feeding into the lies, their fans will turn on them.

Any YouTuber speaking from a place of hate has already lost and deserves to lose.

Anyway, back to the thread topic.

I admittedly like those Plinkett Star Wars Prequel reviews and find them very insightful, and see some truth in a lot of the other stuff they’ve covered, even if I still don’t completely agree with them, but I think a lot of the Alt-Right based YouTube “criticism” was engendered from observing the Plinkett review format and learning the wrong lessons.

While some of the Plinkett reviews can be negative, they’re usually very thoughtful, without malice and self-deprecating. They aren’t meant to be mean-spirited, which is why you can still find humor in them even if you disagree. A lot YouTubers like Mauler come at critiquing from a place of spite, distrust, hate and not wanting to understand something, because they are “in the right”. They completely lack any empathy, therefore their criticism falls flat and their jokes aren’t funny. It’s always with the goal of tearing down, like the Left is out to get them and tear down societal norms and their values or something. It’s the Alt-Right playbook.

These YouTubers don’t cover Gina Carano out of the goodness of their heart. They do it because it fulfills the great YouTube algorithm of receiving views and attention from their “adoring” fans who put them on their pedestal and platform they are determined not to lose. They know if they stop feeding into the lies, their fans will turn on them.

Any YouTuber speaking from a place of hate has already lost and deserves to lose.

It wasn't just Pinkett that those people took the wrong lessons from. It was the Nostalgia Critic, too. They took the words of a shouty middled-aged web comedian who's since been proven to be a horrible person and took his opinions WAY too seriously.

It wasn't just Pinkett that those people took the wrong lessons from. It was the Nostalgia Critic, too. They took the words of a shouty middled-aged web comedian who's since been proven to be a horrible person and took his opinions WAY too seriously.

Him, too, obviously. I was just using Plinkett as an example of how other people have misunderstood and corrupted that old format of critiquing and analyzing various media by turning it into a vehicle to vent their own hate and ignorance.

Doug Walker/Nostalgia Critic is obviously a symptom of that, though I think he more directly contributed to the overall problem than Plinkett ever did, with the whole scandal of his company management’s very harmful and damaging mistreatment of former employees, how his fan community deflected any sort of justified criticism as “angry SJW REE-ing” because it “tarnishes” this perfect image of their idol, how telling it was that Doug himself pretty feebly stayed on the sidelines and didn’t speak out for the victims, etc.

If there’s anything that I’ve learned these past few years, it’s that deifying stupid, ignorant celebrities is a dangerous thing, because it also elevates that stupidity and ignorance to mentally, emotionally and physically dangerous degrees. See no better example of this than January 6th.

Last edited:
Plinkett wrapped thorough critique in an edgy, nihilistic package that lesser talents have co-opted to miserable results.

Nostalgia Critic is just a terrible critic. He no doubt inspired even worse imitators. There's a lot of surface level criticism absorbed from those people.

What you are talking about isn't RLM or Plinkett's fault, and they shouldn't be held accountable for other people's wrongdoing.

to this day i still don't understand how RLM's "critique" of the prequels got traction.

the well had run dry on PT criticism long ago. and i hate gimmick in character reviews so much, especially long form youtube ones with annoying voices that last for hours, i truly don't understand. they brought nothing new to the table

also the fact that they pushed so hard for JJ to be "the guy to fix star wars" makes me smile because it's their own fault. it became like some sort of frank grimes self-fulfilling prophecy where the powers that be at disney saw how RLM went viral and thought "oh gee, this is what the fans want" when in reality RLM's own taste for JJ demonstrated a lack of actual filmmaking concepts

also the fact that they pushed so hard for JJ to be "the guy to fix star wars" makes me smile because it's their own fault. it became like some sort of frank grimes self-fulfilling prophecy where the powers that be at disney saw how RLM went viral and thought "oh gee, this is what the fans want" when in reality RLM's own taste for JJ demonstrated a lack of actual filmmaking concepts

To be fair to Mike from RLM, he's self-aware to have acknowledged this unfortunate correlation. I think the points he raised in the reviews were valid and JJ was a very solid pick to direct a Star Wars movie. In the review for TROS, Mike suggests it might have been all his fault, but also clarifies that he never said JJ should write the thing, let alone write it with Chris Terrio. And no-one could have predicted that Disney would have so few ideas for Star Wars that a viral youtube video could be implicated in their decision making.

What you are talking about isn't RLM or Plinkett's fault, and they shouldn't be held accountable for other people's wrongdoing.

You can't blame someone when a bunch of idiots get inspired wrongly in the first place. If you see RLM as being responsible for bad people's actions when their output was different in the first place... I fundamentally disagree with that. You blame the idiots who misunderstood it and created something else entirely. It's like blaming Goldfinger for bad spy movie rip offs.

There's a reason why the Plinkett reviews are still the best and haven't been equaled. For the first time, without being meanspirited, someone actually created a well thought out and organized critique of those movies. It's why they took off. Someone finally crystalized it but did it in an entertaining and novel way. I think many people mistakenly don't look at Plinkett as a character, but as just a total package. The character of Plinkett isn't used to be a negative nancy, the personality is just a means to an end to make the critique more entertaining, otherwise you get those constant dry, boring video essays with some exceptions like Lindsay Ellis. Unfortunately, like a lot of popular things, imitators look at the negative surface level aspects and run with that, which is ironic because surface level is what a lot of prequel criticism was before Plinkett, or at most, inarticulate and scattered, at worst, absolutely toxic. You never see Plinkett wish death on Jake Lloyd or Ahmed Best or Hayden Christensen, and this was back in the late 00's.

Now Nostalgia Critic? Phew! He was good at one schtick. Not as a critic, but was good at comedically nitpicking bad old movies. He's pretty emblematic of the rising YouTube Critic generation that really didn't know what the hell they were doing. All of that stuff is fascinating. As for the scandal, I don't think he was malicious, I just think the guy was a clueless idiot. He obviously could have done more, but it's more telling that we put too much stock in these people with a lack of skills. Walker was listed on Forbes most influential people. But I honestly don't think that guy could hold down a real job. This is a guy who walked his film cast and crew to film a movie in the middle of the desert and didn't bring water.

Last edited:
to this day i still don't understand how RLM's "critique" of the prequels got traction.

the well had run dry on PT criticism long ago. and i hate gimmick in character reviews so much, especially long form youtube ones with annoying voices that last for hours, i truly don't understand. they brought nothing new to the table

I mean it's a critique, it's not really right or wrong. And even if we disagree, that person is entitled to their critique. Now personally I don't love those original videos either because the whole kidnapper serial killer murderer thing was a bit overdone in my eyes.

I mean it's a critique, it's not really right or wrong. And even if we disagree, that person is entitled to their critique. Now personally I don't love those original videos either because the whole kidnapper serial killer murderer thing was a bit overdone in my eyes.
I agree. They could have just shown his creepy basement once, maybe pan past his captive like it's a completely normal sight, and never mention it again. The viewers would have got the joke and it would have informed their view of Plinkett's character for the rest of the review(s). Instead they leaned into that joke and made it a whole narrative. And it was indeed a bit much.

To be fair to Mike from RLM, he's self-aware to have acknowledged this unfortunate correlation. I think the points he raised in the reviews were valid and JJ was a very solid pick to direct a Star Wars movie. In the review for TROS, Mike suggests it might have been all his fault, but also clarifies that he never said JJ should write the thing, let alone write it with Chris Terrio. And no-one could have predicted that Disney would have so few ideas for Star Wars that a viral youtube video could be implicated in their decision making.
as soon as JJ was announced i knew it would be a nostalgia fest, he isn't very original in his style

but even i had no idea they'd just remake a new hope. 35+ years after ROTJ and not even new ships, same old x-wings vs ties.....what an absolute waste

i only half blame him for ROS, rian put the trilogy in a pit no director could've fixed, that being said, rian was able to do so because of JJ's mystery boxes and not making definitive decisions in TFA

it's not even if their review was "right or wrong" it's just that it BLEW UP. i remember it going viral and all sorts of different fans, star wars fans, movie fans, etc. constantly linking it and stuff. like i just don't get it. it didn't bring anything new to the table for me, all the arguments were heard already, that's what i don't understand

either way there are way better critics than RLM, although the long-form youtube critic has pretty much become an oversaturated meme in itself

It wasn't so much that the Plinkett reviews were a revelation, it was that they were definitive. That's why they blew up, and why they were frequently shared. They demonstrated all of the flaws in creative and informative ways and did such a good job covering all of the shortcomings that the reviews became the source to cite when talking flaws. And this was pre youtube critics, so these reviews were long because it was a hardcore fan who had done the research and had a lot to say.

It wasn't so much that the Plinkett reviews were a revelation, it was that they were definitive. That's why they blew up, and why they were frequently shared. They demonstrated all of the flaws in creative and informative ways and did such a good job covering all of the shortcomings that the reviews became the source to cite when talking flaws. And this was pre youtube critics, so these reviews were long because it was a hardcore fan who had done the research and had a lot to say.
It's been an amount of time since I watched any of that, but I don't think I remember agreeing much with it.

TITLE: I don't know what's particularly more fortunate.

Don't be surprised if Gina comes back.

Is this based on any Rumor or so?

I mean you arent wrong, if she keeps her mouth shut, stays out of the headlines etc with conspiracy **** and so on...i can see Disney bringing her back.

I dont see why considering pretty much every character we had so far is more interesting and had stronger actors behind them, but with Disney you never know.

No rumors. just a few signs here and there. Walmart is is currently selling Cara Dune figures and Disney has backed down on its recent decision not to air the Running Wild With Bear Grylls episode featuring Gina.

No rumors. just a few signs here and there. Walmart is is currently selling Cara Dune figures and Disney has backed down on its recent decision not to air the Running Wild With Bear Grylls episode featuring Gina.
The Cara Dune figures were "cancelled" from production. We won't get more, but they still have what they have around.

Bear Grylls show is not Star Wars. Also from what I could see (all the sites were extremely right wing or just dumb sites like that Covered one), there was no confirmation either way on that one.

The Cara Dune figures were "cancelled" from production. We won't get more, but they still have what they have around.

Bear Grylls show is not Star Wars. Also from what I could see (all the sites were extremely right wing or just dumb sites like that Covered one), there was no confirmation either way on that one.
We Shall See.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"