Gods & Men: The Ancient Myths: Chapter 1 IC Thread

I yawn and stretch on the surprisingly comfortable bed. I sit up, groggy from my first real sleep in several days. Standing, I make myself over to the window and open the curtains, instantly regretting the bright morning rays of the sun. With a half snarl I slam the curtains shut and turn away. I'm not a morning person.

Splashing cool water from the bowl on my face, I try to finish waking up and brighten my foul mood. The rumbling of my stomach doesn't help. Stepping out of my room, I knock on the neighboring door.

"Enter."

The door creeks open. My friend is kneeling in front of his window, eyes closed, bathing in those cursed rays of sunlight. "Pyrist?"

"I am just about to begin my morning prayers, Xxymryx."

"Ah. Well, I am going to find some breakfast. I was wondering if you wanted to join me. I believe we passed a pub on our way into town."

"A little early for ale, is it not, my friend?"

"No such thing as too early for ale."

Despite his best efforts, I notice a small smile tug at the corners of his mouth. "Perhaps when I have finished..."

I smile and nod. "I'll save you a chair," I say as I close the door behind me.

The street is long and bustling with people. Thebes is a large city, and the roads are lined with farmers and craftsmen selling their goods to the morning shoppers. As I travel amongst the people, I take in the sights, sounds, and smells. I've made it a habit in a new city to learn the routes and ways around. One never knows when they'll need a quick escape. That kind of preparation has payed off more than a few times. I was just too exhausted to do so when we arrived.

With each street I travel, I see life continuing as usual. As adults laugh and talk, and children play, it's almost possible to forget that armies of undead are spreading across the known world like a plague. But the sight of guards on every corner serve as an important reminder that the world is slipping into darkness.

Yet, at this moment, no dark hordes were threatening the gates of Thebes. And this reluctant warrior needs food and drink. So I make my way back towards the inn, and down the road to the pub we passed the night before. Even at mid-day I can hear the noise and raucous laughter within. And when I open the door, the waves of noise assault my ears, the overwhelming scent of unwashed people, food, and drink fills my nose.

I grin and walk in...

A group of three sat around a table in one of the corners of the smokey room, sipping (and in one case glugging) at the drinks that they had in front of them.

"They say that even now the Lich-Lord marches upon the city of Dusseldorf," Tharrow announced. He was the most welcoming local that Kelvamin and Gunnar had found but that did not equate to much.

"Rumours and heresay," Kelvamin said in his usual calm tone.

"That's rubbish and you know it," Gunnar said "Why even now Chauran may have taken the city,"

"Equally he may not have done," Kelvamin said "Besides, it would be suicide to take on the Lich Lord's army when the beast himself cannot yet be killed,"

"We may not be able to kill the Lich, but I'm damn sure that we could cut a swaythe through his army," Gunnary said.

"A warband from Sparta will be marching through here in a few hours time in order to meet the Lich's host outside Dusseldorf. They say it is lead by King Lenon himself," Tharrow said loudly, his beard matted by ale.

"Lenon? I was not aware that he was still alive," Kelvamin said.

"Maybe some of us should join this warband,"

"Maybe you should,"

"I hear that there are Drow spies abroad," Tharrow said, squinting at Kelvamin "You have a bit of elf about you,"

"Do I?" Kelvamin said mildly. Tharrow stood up.

"Yes," the villager thundered, towering over the smaller swordsman. He swung a clumsy punch which Kelvamin caught with one hand. There was a crunch as the Englishman broke the Greek's hand.

The bar then descended into pandemonium.

"Hahahahahahahaha", Rothgar laughed joyously as he downed his tankard of ale and smashed it into the face of the onrushing man.

Out of the corner of his eye, Rothgar barely saw the incoming fist in time. But the battle-hardened Norseman ducked under the wild blow and rose, smashing the attacker in the ribs.
The now bug-eyed man's air exploded from his lungs and Rothgar put him down by smashing his face into the bar behind him.

With a smile Rothgar leaned back to avoid a haymaker and came forward, smashing the man in the face and sending him toppling backwards.

Seeing a man trying to sneak up behind Kelvamin, Rothgar got up onto the bar and leaped over patrons. Landing on top of the man, Rothgar's momentum carried them both the the floor, where Rothgar but him out with a blow to the temple.

Rothgar chuckled as he rose to his feet and looked at his friend and grinned.

"A wonderful diversion, is it not?"

Rothgar chuckled as he rose to his feet and looked at his friend and grinned.

"A wonderful diversion, is it not?"
Kelvamin dived between the unruly mob, severely restraining them without needlessly killing anyone. That said, the man who had used the moment as an opportunity to have his way with the bar wench ended up with a butter knife embedded somewhere in his person.

"It certainly beats the usual hordes of demons and undead," Kelvamin said, thrusting his palm under one unfortunate's chin "When do you think it's polite to leave?2

I sit at the bar and order an ale. The barkeep nods and slams one down. I toss him a coin and he grunts. I probably overpaid. He sets me down another mug. Huh. An honest barkeep. That's a change.

Nodding my thanks, I turn in my seat to view the bar. I've learned the hard way to always watch my back, and know where the exits are. Once that's done, I can enjoy myself.

The bar is as raucous and me and merry as any other. The only difference between most of the other I've visited in my travels is the native language. Other than that, there's laughing, gambling, eating, drinking, busty wenches and seeming no shortage of good times. One couldn't even tell that the world outside was going to hell. But then, that's the point of these types of establishments.

Yes, the only thing missing is a-

"I hear that there are Drow spies abroad," Tharrow said, squinting at Kelvamin "You have a bit of elf about you,"

"Do I?" Kelvamin said mildly. Tharrow stood up.

"Yes," the villager thundered, towering over the smaller swordsman. He swung a clumsy punch which Kelvamin caught with one hand. There was a crunch as the Englishman broke the Greek's hand.

The bar then descended into pandemonium.

I sigh. Figures.

The fight takes over the bar in a few seconds. A wench shatters a mug over a rather aggressive patron's head, and I can't help but smirk. The women and barkeep are the only smart ones as the hide behind the bar and let the fight burn itself out.

One rather large and ugly brute comes charging at me with drunken rage in his eyes. I just take a sip from my mug and wave my hand. He goes flying right past me, crashing into another pair of patrons, and it becomes a three-way fist fight. I hear the sound of a sword being pulled from it's sheath and one of the men shout, ready to take this fight to the next level. I mutter under my breath and he drops his read hot blade. A fist crashes into his face before he can question what just happened.

"Why aren't you fighting?" One of the wenches behind the bar peaks up and asks me.

"I'm not done with my drink." I give her one of my smiles. "And what would your name be?"

The weight of bodies crashes into me and my mug goes flying into the wall. I look at the dripping splotch of ale, then back to the buxom lady. "Could you excuse me for a moment, my dear?" She just nods.

I grit my teeth and spin around, pulling my staff from my robes, imbuing it with steel. Three men fall in a single swipe, drawing the attention of more around me.

"Come on then!"

Kelvamin dived between the unruly mob, severely restraining them without needlessly killing anyone. That said, the man who had used the moment as an opportunity to have his way with the bar wench ended up with a butter knife embedded somewhere in his person.

"It certainly beats the usual hordes of demons and undead," Kelvamin said, thrusting his palm under one unfortunate's chin "When do you think it's polite to leave?2

"I don't know", Rothgar replied as he blocked a man's blow and smashed his forehead into his attacker's nose, splaying blood everywhere.
"I'm rather enjoying myself."

A cracking sound is heard and a dwarf goes flying past Rothgar. The Norseman turns his head to see a robed man swinging long metal-looking staff.
"Wizards", Rothgar sighed, "I hate wizards."

The rustling of the horses caused Aithne to stir from her self made nest in the back of the Docktores wagon. Blinking her eyes she looked around her, her mind racing to catch up to where she was. First her mind raced through the last few days, slowly catching up to the fact that the swaying and bumping of the wagon had ceased. She also noticed the now familiar sound of male voices was non-existant. Sitting up quickly her head hit one of the Doctore's hanging instruments and she let out a stream of curses in her own language. Her hand going to her head and a thin, cool rectangular sheet of water formed under it to prevent a bruise.
Untangling herself from her twisted gown and cloak she slid out the back of the wagon and looked around, her eyes growing wide as she blinked them in the bright sunlight.

A metropolis now surrounded the wagon, where once it had been country. Pulling her cloak around her though there really was no need, the weather was temperate, she slowly stood up. Picking up Brion's halter that hung limp on the end of the wagon, she placed it in her bag. She'd tied him there when she'd first curled up in the back. Supposing she'd need him, he must have returned to Tir na nOg once his time had passed. Gripping it she stepped away from the wagon and out into one of the street. Moving people swarmed around her, continuing their shopping and conversations. Most of the language she did not understand though she picked up snippets of common.

Passing by a small in she briefly wondered where the men had wandered off to, but as she turned the corner thoughts of that left her head. A large market lay before her; spices, fruits, herbs lay before her like thousands of jewels and she was more than willing to oblige, quickly making her way towards the herb stalls and looking them over.

"Can I help you with anything?"

Aithne looked up, her wide eyes meeting the suntanned and wrinkled face of a smiling old woman.

"Oh, No.. I mean.. what is this?" Her hands delicately hovered over the mysterious bark.

"Ahhh Arjuna very good for hemorrhages and broken bones..." She picked a piece up and took Aithne's hand, gently putting it into her palm.
"Feel it." she motioned watching the girl keenly.

Aithne turned it over in her hand and ran her fingers across it's rough surface.
"Would be easy to make into a powder... or perhaps a compress.." she pondered aloud.

The old woman's friendly, but wary smile, grew, showing a row of yellowed teeth.
"Yes!" Her weather worn hands clapped together, the sound muted by the wrinkled ridges of them.
"You are quite adept, but then you don't come form this land do you?"

Aithne looked up, a surprised look before she realized her clothes were not necessarily the norm.
"No... I am not."

The woman nodded slowly.
"And you have seen battle."

The Irish girl nearly dropped the bark in her hands.
"What.. how..?" The woman's hands again reached out grabbing hold of a frayed segment of Aithne's gown.

"Was not from anything you nor nature could have done. No, manmade weapons." She nodded curtly, an indication her mind was made up so much that even if not true Aithne stood little chance of persuading her otherwise.

Aithne nodded slowly.

"Well, I expect you shall see many more... let me show you.. see this root..?"

Aithne leaned closer and took in all the woman old her of the herbs from unknown lands.

"I don't know", Rothgar replied as he blocked a man's blow and smashed his forehead into his attacker's nose, splaying blood everywhere.
"I'm rather enjoying myself."

A cracking sound is heard and a dwarf goes flying past Rothgar. The Norseman turns his head to see a robed man swinging long metal-looking staff.
"Wizards", Rothgar sighed, "I hate wizards."

The clanging of swords of flying of bodies tells that this fight is starting to get our of hand. And when the authorities finally arrive, it'll just get worse. Bloodshed will be inevitable.

"ILLUMINIERUNG!" I slam my staff to the ground and a bright spark shoots up to the ceiling and explodes in a blinding light. The fighting stops instantly as everyone is caught by surprise and covers their eyes. They'll be seeing spots for a couple of minutes.

With typical perfect timing, the authorities burst in through the door, but are just as confused as everyone else. What they see is a trashed pub, with everyone standing around, yet no fighting.

"What happened here!" Their captain demands.

I just let the enchantment drop from my staff and turn back to my drink at the bar.

I look at the wench. "So...I didn't get your name."

Rothgar tried to rub the spots from his eyes, but couldn't seem to manage. Trying to make out the blurry mess that was his vision, Rothgar stumbled his way towards the bar.

"One mug of your best mead"
, the Viking Prince called out to the bartender who was starting to slowly come into focus.

He placed the mead in front of Rothgar, and the Norseman reached into his pocket and pulled out a few coins.

"Keep the change."

The bartender smiled and walked off. Rothgar shut his eyes tight and opened them. Blinking away the remaining spots, he took a deep swig of his mead.

Turning his head to the door, he saw the authorities turned to leave. As he turned slowly back towards the bar, he stopped as his eyes fell on the wizard sitting to his left.

"That was...an interesting spell you cast"
, he said as his vision finally corrected itself.
"And the timing couldn't have been better", he finished as the authorities left the establishment.

Rothgar tried to rub the spots from his eyes, but couldn't seem to manage. Trying to make out the blurry mess that was his vision, Rothgar stumbled his way towards the bar.

"One mug of your best mead"
, the Viking Prince called out to the bartender who was starting to slowly come into focus.

He placed the mead in front of Rothgar, and the Norseman reached into his pocket and pulled out a few coins.

"Keep the change."

The bartender smiled and walked off. Rothgar shut his eyes tight and opened them. Blinking away the remaining spots, he took a deep swig of his mead.

Turning his head to the door, he saw the authorities turned to leave. As he turned slowly back towards the bar, he stopped as his eyes fell on the wizard sitting to his left.

"That was...an interesting spell you cast"
, he said as his vision finally corrected itself.
"And the timing couldn't have been better", he finished as the authorities left the establishment.

I nod and lift my mug to the very, very big man. "Well, in my experience, bar fights are all well and good until two things happen: The authorities arrive, or the alcohol spills."

I take a swig from my mug. The big man nearly drains his. "By your accent I can tell you're from nowhere around here. I would guess...Norse?"

Brottorpic.jpg

Brottor made his way south to Thebes, at once grateful and confused by the quest that Moradin had tasked him with. A holy quest! A difficult and arduous journey to fulfill a task and prove himself worthy in the eyes of Moradin once more. A holy quest? Why would the Soul-Forger ask a mission of such great importance from one of such little value? Brottor's thoughts kept him from feeling his forced march, which spanned three days and two nights without stopping.

Until he reached the woods.

Brottor, like all dwarves, was uncomfortable in forested areas. Too much wood, not enough stone. "Wood, son, is unreliable." his father used to say, "It lived once, and like all things that live and die, it will rot away. Not stone, Brottor, stone is eternal."

The dwarven paladin sighed. If into the woods he must go, then into the woods he'll go.

*----------*​

An hour later, Brottor had begun to wish he were either underground or an elf, underground was more preferable. The forest floor was dense with thick roots, underfoot plants and other foliage related debris, and it slowed him down considerably.

What was worse than the forest though, was what was in it. Brottor's senses detected something following him for the last fifteen minutes.

He was being hunted.

Brottor's eyes narrowed and his grip on the throwing axe at his belt tightened as he stooped down, pretending to adjust his boot. The position made him look vulnerable, and were he of any other race, he would be. However, being close to the ground is where a dwarf is at his most dangerous.

His stalker did not attack though. It chose to reveal itself to him, landing with a soft thud on a nearby fallen tree. It sounded almost elven until it snarled. Brottor looked up, axe in hand, his other ready to bring Th'Rak to bear.

Standing on the log before him was a tall beakless bird-like creature covered in brown hawk-like feathers. It snarled again, and almost bowed to him, claws ready and jaws open.

761px-Deinonychus_BW.jpg

The guards on the northern edge of Thebes were thrown into confusion, and the tales spread rapidly of a golden bearded dwarf racing towards the city from the north astride the back of a large flightless bird.

Brottor slowed his mount's pace, smiling to himself at the bird's responsiveness to his thoughts as he nodded to the astonished guards as he passed them, heading into the city. Moradin was kind to him, gifting him with this beast to utilize as his bonded mount. Brottor called her "Vallond", a dwarven word meaning "dragon friend", for she was very much like a small feathered dragon, and she was very much a friend.

Ignoring stares from the populace, Brottor rode his wonderous mount through the city, searching for two things. The first was any sign of this group of heroes that were to be his charges. The second was a shop to provide him with a suitable saddle for Vallond.

I nod and lift my mug to the very, very big man. "Well, in my experience, bar fights are all well and good until two things happen: The authorities arrive, or the alcohol spills."

I take a swig from my mug. The big man nearly drains his. "By your accent I can tell you're from nowhere around here. I would guess...Norse?"

Rothgar gasps as he finishes the last drop of mead from his mug and slams it down onto the bar.

"You would guess correctly then", Rothgar smiled, mead still dripping from his beard.
"I hail from Svealand, actually. A small fiefdom", Rothgar continued.
"Ever since I was a boy I craved the life of an adventurer. As soon as I was able, I left my home and haven't looked back since. Been traveling all around the lands for years helping out and finding work wherever I can."

"Why, my party and I just arrived in town, returning from Athens"
, Rothgar said as he suddenly became more sullen.
He remained silent for a handful of seconds, just staring ahead, the scenes of the horrors of Athens still fresh in his mind.

"Barkeep! One more, please. And one for my friend here", Rothgar said as he seemed to regain his senses and handed the man a few coins.

"So, if I were to wager a guess, you aren't from around here either", Rothgar said as he took his glass and drank down a mighty swig.

Rothgar gasps as he finishes the last drop of mead from his mug and slams it down onto the bar.

"You would guess correctly then", Rothgar smiled, mead still dripping from his beard.
"I hail from Svealand, actually. A small fiefdom", Rothgar continued.
"Ever since I was a boy I craved the life of an adventurer. As soon as I was able, I left my home and haven't looked back since. Been traveling all around the lands for years helping out and finding work wherever I can."

"Why, my party and I just arrived in town, returning from Athens"
, Rothgar said as he suddenly became more sullen.
He remained silent for a handful of seconds, just staring ahead, the scenes of the horrors of Athens still fresh in his mind.

"Barkeep! One more, please. And one for my friend here", Rothgar said as he seemed to regain his senses and handed the man a few coins.

"So, if I were to wager a guess, you aren't from around here either", Rothgar said as he took his glass and drank down a mighty swig.

I finish my glass and tip my fresh mug to my new friend. "No...not from around here. I'm a traveler too. I take care of...problems. Mostly of the supernatural kind. And my childhood...well, it's darker than yours. But I too could not get away fast enough when the time came."

I take a drink. "So...Athens, you say. I've been looking for a group traveling from Athens..."

"Really", Rothgar casts a wary eye on the man as he gently puts down his glass.
"How so?"

Could this man be a servant of the enemy, come to stop them on their quest to destroy the lich?
Kelvamin and Gunnar sat at their table only a dozen or so feet away, watching the exchange intently. If a fight broke out and they had to kill this man, they would be ready.

"Really", Rothgar casts a wary eye on the man as he gently puts down his glass.
"How so?"

Could this man be a servant of the enemy, come to stop them on their quest to destroy the lich?
Kelvamin and Gunnar sat at their table only a dozen or so feet away, watching the exchange intently. If a fight broke out and they had to kill this man, they would be ready.

"Well, I know a band of travelers fought their way out of Athens. And I've been tasked with finding them."

I finish my glass, and start to feel the nice numbing effects. "Would that have been your group?"

"Well, I know a band of travelers fought their way out of Athens. And I've been tasked with finding them."

I finish my glass, and start to feel the nice numbing effects. "Would that have been your group?"

"Perhaps"
, Rothgar dismissed.
"Why have you been tasked with finding them?"

"That may well have been us, friend," Kelvamin said, walking over to the table, stemming the blood that was pouring from his nose.

Slowly walking into the tavern, the good Docktore eyed the man that Rothgar and Kelvamin were in conversation with.

Casting the thoughts aside he bellied up to the bar and gave a smile towards the barmaid.

"Your finest ale!"

The maid narrowed her eyes at him as she placed her hands on her hips.

"You're the Docktore, yes?"

"My reputation proceeds me! And, my lovely lady, who would you be?"

"Delilah, you pig," she said as she turned to an older man behind the bar.

"Father this is the man!"

The older man sat up as he looked at the Docktore.

"You! You ruined my daughter!"

That's when the memory came flooding back to him.

Almost a year ago he and Watts had visited this tavern, he had met the beautiful maiden Delilah and had quite the time with her, her first time in fact.

"Heh...yeah, about that...."

"Darius," the old man yelled.

That's when a man roughly the size of Rothgar walked in from the back, he cracked his knuckles and looked at the Docktore with a look of pure hatred.

"Because of you, my sister could not marry wealthy man. You ruined our family, much like I will ruin your face."

A dry chuckle was all the Docktore could mutter as the giant man grabbed him around the neck.

"Help...."

"That may well have been us, friend," Kelvamin said, walking over to the table, stemming the blood that was pouring from his nose.

I look to the newcomer in the conversation. "The reason is simple...because you fight against the Lich-King."

I look to the newcomer in the conversation. "The reason is simple...because you fight against the Lich-King."

"Aye, we do", Rothgar stated.
"And is that why you are here? To join the good fight?"

Out of the corner of his eye, Rothgar noticed the commotion involving his traveling companion, the good Docktore.
A large man reached down and grabbed the Docktore by his neck, hoisting him up in the air.

"Excuse me", Rothgar said as he took a swig of his mead and walked over.

Tapping the man on his shoulder, the angry giant turned to glare at the Norseman.

"Back off, little man! Can't you see we're bu-"

The man's sentence was cut short as Rothgar slugged the man across his jaw, an audible crack echoing across the bar as the jawbone sickly broke.
The brute dropped the Docktore onto his backside and fell over, out cold.

"See to your boy. He's going to need a healer's touch", Rothgar said to the stunned old man as he watched the crowd, seeing if anyone else would decide to join the quarrel.

Reaching down, Rothgar gave the Docktore a hand up to his feet.

"Do you make it a habit to anger the locals in every city you go to?"

"Excuse me", Rothgar said as he took a swig of his mead and walked over.

Tapping the man on his shoulder, the angry giant turned to glare at the Norseman.

"Back off, little man! Can't you see we're bu-"

The man's sentence was cut short as Rothgar slugged the man across his jaw, an audible crack echoing across the bar as the jawbone sickly broke.
The brute dropped the Docktore onto his backside and fell over, out cold.

"See to your boy. He's going to need a healer's touch", Rothgar said to the stunned old man as he watched the crowd, seeing if anyone else would decide to join the quarrel.

Reaching down, Rothgar gave the Docktore a hand up to his feet.

"Do you make it a habit to anger the locals in every city you go to?"

"Heh...only when I have a good time, my friend."

The Docktore rubs the back of his neck as he looks up at the viking warrior.

"Thank you. I'll make my leave, for now. Go out and help out Watts with getting supplies for the upcoming trip."

He turns and looks at the old man and nods.

"I am indeed sorry about your daughter, but if I were to go back in time.....I would certainly do it all over again," he said with a wink towards the barmaid.

"Get out of here!" she yells as she slings a glass full of ale at the Docktore."

"See you outside," he says to Rothgar as he ducks the frosty mug.

With that, the Italian scientist made a hasty retreat out of the bar.

"I apologize for my friend, miss", Rothgar spoke softly.
"He may not be the best mannered, but he is a good person at heart."

"You can take your apology and shove it", she said to him.
"And, if he is your friend, you can get the hell out too."

Rothgar nodded and sighed.

"Very well. I don't wish to cause you any more problems. I'll just finish my drink and leave", he said as he tossed a few more coins onto the bar.
It was gold coins, and enough to make the girl's eyes go wide and mouth open a bit in surprise.

"To pay for the trouble and your brother's healing", the Norseman stated before making his way back to Kelvamin, the wizard, and his drink.

"So, I think we might have worn out our welcome", he said to Kelvamin before taking a swig of his mead.

"I apologize for my friend, miss", Rothgar spoke softly.
"He may not be the best mannered, but he is a good person at heart."

"You can take your apology and shove it", she said to him.
"And, if he is your friend, you can get the hell out too."

Rothgar nodded and sighed.

"Very well. I don't wish to cause you any more problems. I'll just finish my drink and leave", he said as he tossed a few more coins onto the bar.
It was gold coins, and enough to make the girl's eyes go wide and mouth open a bit in surprise.

"To pay for the trouble and your brother's healing", the Norseman stated before making his way back to Kelvamin, the wizard, and his drink.

"So, I think we might have worn out our welcome", he said to Kelvamin before taking a swig of his mead.
"Well at least there aren't dragons involved this time," the Brit muttered, downing the last of his whiskey and heading towards the door "I'm going to make sure they don't mug the alchemist,"

"Well at least there aren't dragons involved this time," the Brit muttered, downing the last of his whiskey and heading towards the door "I'm going to make sure they don't mug the alchemist,"

"A sound idea", Rothgar replied as he finished his drink.

"And what of you", he asked the wizard as he and Gunnar gathered their belongings.
"If you are here to stop the lich, then you're welcomed to join us."

Last edited:
I'm now convinced that these travelers are the ones I seek. And while they deal with their friend, I wonder for a moment what's keeping Pyrist. Probably busy throwing a few extra names into his prayers.

Upon the Norseman's return, I continue our conversation.
"To answer your question, yes. Despite my better judgement, I wish to join the quest against the Lich-King. You will stand little chance against him without someone who knows their way around magic."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"