Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No; no, you're not. You're comparing a major title role to a throwaway supporting role that nobody gives a crap about. The only reason Levi got the Fandral (who? I know, right?) gig was because Josh Dallas' (who? I know, right?) schedule fell through at the last minute, and Levi (Marvel's *first* choice for Fandral in Thor 1) was available.

Again: if it's double-dipping for *major* roles, yes, I agree with you. But someone playing a *minor* role stepping up to a *major* role --- I got no problem with at all.

And I'd be willing to bet any amount of money you care to lose that the vast majority of Marvel moviegoers outside of this board feel the same way. *Nobody* is going to remember who plays Fandral, or will give a damn about the character at all, other than Robin Hood fetishists. Quill, on the other hand, is going to be a MAJOR role, and Marvel is going to need all the help they can get to cast their leading man.

Some of you seem to think it's a simple thing for Marvel to just go out and grab a big star and offer them the "privilege" of playing in one of their movies. Doesn't happen that way. Marvel is VERY particular in their choice of casting and directors, and they've earned a pretty good bit of notoriety of not being an easy studio to work with. Then there's the fact that anybody who joins MS as a major character is likely contractually obligated to anywhere from 3 to 9 films, so it's not like an actor out there will do his part and then move on. Signing on to Marvel Studios is a major commitment that is likely to tie an actor up for several years to come; so if they find that they don't like the pay, hours, lack of creative control, etc. after all, tough ****.

I can think of a bunch of actors I'd rather see than Levi as PQ, including the ones that were known to have auditioned for the role. But if Levi's available and willing, and Marvel wants to work with him, *I'm* sure as hell not going to ***** about him "double-dipping" as one-third of an unimportant and unnecessary support team for Thor.

Again, you being ok with it is irrelevant to my original point. Can you at least admit, it's unnecessary to double dip? You say it isn't easy to get actors? I call BS on that. Big actors maybe but there's a long list of actors just champing at the bit to get a comic book role. Double dipping at this point while in your opinion is ok and fine to do, there's no reason for it. There is no need to do it.

The logic of setting up a huge shared universe and casting the same actors for two completely different roles in that universe doesn't match up. That's the problem.

I don't really see how it's that big a deal. If audiences can accept two different actors playing the same character (Rhodey, Banner, Fandral), then surely they can accept one actor playing two different parts too. I'm not saying it's an ideal situation, but if he turns out to be the best person for the role then they should go for it. Fandral is not a big part, most people probably wouldn't even notice. It's nowhere near as drastic as recasting Rhodey or Banner in any case.

And besides, what are the odds of Fandral and Star-Lord ever actually being in the same movie anyhow? Not very good I'm guessing. And if Thor ever meets Star-Lord they could just throw in some joke line like "You look familiar. Have we met?"

Gunn just tweeted that "almost everything" in the variety report is inaccurate, phew

He probs had to put "almost" in there cuz Sturgess was/is actually in the running at some point

Don't really care who says what just so long as neither of these guys gets cast as Star Lord. lol

I'm not very knowledgeable on the comics, but love the marvel films. I came in here because I am curious, I recently listened to an interview with Joss about Avengers where the interviewer asked how the Tesseract wound up on Earth in the first place (at the beginning of Cap 1) when it was once the jewel of Odin's vault (Joss said he didn't know). And it occurred to me that GOTG, or perhaps another franchise, could explain that, sort of tie up that lose end. So I was wondering if they might actually set GOTG in the past of the current MCU to answer that question. What do you think? There is an awful lot going on with current day MCU universe, it might make sense to have some of the action occur in the past. ;)

I like to think Odin hid it from Thanos on Earth.

Maybe; but it wasn't particularly well-hidden.
Yeah, there was a fake cube put in the tomb of a medieval Viking king/jarl in Norway in CATFA, but the real Cube was ridiculously close by, and merely hidden in the wall. It took Red Skull all of twenty seconds to figure it out, and Schmidt ain't the brightest guy in Nazi Germany. Would've been very simple for an average tomb raider or archeologist to have discovered the Tesseract any time in the past 1000 years.

I still prefer the theory that the Tesseract can only be activated by powerful evil forces (in the MCU, we've only seen Loki, Red Skull, mind-controlled Selvig and Hawkeye, and implicitly Thanos have any actual control over the Tesseract). I believe that the Cube fell into human hands during the Viking era (maybe during the Frost Giant wars), and even Odin wasn't aware of it. Since nobody was able to understand or activate the Tesseract here on earth, they just chose to hide it instead.

Gunn just tweeted that "almost everything" in the variety report is inaccurate, phew
Although that's not entirely unexpected, I still stand by the idea of one actor playing multiple roles not being a big deal. Off the top of my head both Doctor Who and Star Trek have many examples of actors playing multiple, often unconnected roles. The bigger the MCU gets and the longer it goes on, the more likely something like that is gonna happen. Especially once it expands into TV.

theres a ton of talent out there. no reason whatsoever for reusing actors. the MCU projects are a mere drop in the bucket, and the talent pool just keeps expanding, so the likelihood of this happening wont be growing.

it might happen, but not out of any necessity. no offfense, but your premise is illogical and counter to reality.

Although that's not entirely unexpected, I still stand by the idea of one actor playing multiple roles not being a big deal. Off the top of my head both Doctor Who and Star Trek have many examples of actors playing multiple, often unconnected roles. The bigger the MCU gets and the longer it goes on, the more likely something like that is gonna happen. Especially once it expands into TV.
Yep and it's corny beyond belief. Hollywood isn't exactly hurting for talented actors looking for work in big budget flicks, there's no reason to double-dip. Especially on Chuck of all people

If you really want an actor reused I'm all for Sam Rockwell voicing Rocket :o

Well Fandral does get around, so maybe they are related. LOL :whatever:

Maybe; but it wasn't particularly well-hidden.
Yeah, there was a fake cube put in the tomb of a medieval Viking king/jarl in Norway in CATFA, but the real Cube was ridiculously close by, and merely hidden in the wall. It took Red Skull all of twenty seconds to figure it out, and Schmidt ain't the brightest guy in Nazi Germany. Would've been very simple for an average tomb raider or archeologist to have discovered the Tesseract any time in the past 1000 years.

I still prefer the theory that the Tesseract can only be activated by powerful evil forces (in the MCU, we've only seen Loki, Red Skull, mind-controlled Selvig and Hawkeye, and implicitly Thanos have any actual control over the Tesseract). I believe that the Cube fell into human hands during the Viking era (maybe during the Frost Giant wars), and even Odin wasn't aware of it. Since nobody was able to understand or activate the Tesseract here on earth, they just chose to hide it instead.

they would have to know its link to Odin though based on the Tree image and talk of Odin's vault.
And wouldnt it be safer in the vault, then on practically defenseless Earth, and in the hands of foolish Midgardians? :cwink:

And they were able to control the Tesseract at the end of Avengers to get Loki and Thor back home, and none of those guys were evil or possessed at the time.

Also I know that Thanos is closely linked to the Tesseract/cosmic cube, he clearly knows about it and probably had been searching for it at the beginning of Avengers, and so likely he was linked to it leaving Odin's vault in the past or pursued it after it was stolen from the vault, and so that would open up the possibility of a past story showing how that all goes down, involving Thanos, who, I believe is confirmed for GOTG. Correct?

Last edited:
they would have to know its link to Odin though based on the Tree image and talk of Odin's vault.
And wouldnt it be safer in the vault, then on practically defenseless Earth, and in the hands of foolish Midgardians? :cwink:

Well, that's just it --- I'm assuming the immortals didn't *know* the mortals had the Cube. Depends on how omniscient you want to make your Norse gods/ancient aliens, but my theory is that "the foolish Midgardians" somehow got hold of it during the Frost Giant Wars and intentionally hid it from the gods (good *or* bad) to keep more bad **** from happening to our world.

And they were able to control the Tesseract at the end of Avengers to get Loki and Thor back home, and none of those guys were evil or possessed at the time.

Could be. Although technically Loki *is* evil, and maybe it was his mere presence that allowed them to activate the Cube to get back home. ;)

Also I know that Thanos is closely linked to the Tesseract/cosmic cube, he clearly knows about it and probably had been searching for it at the beginning of Avengers, and so likely he was linked to it leaving Odin's vault in the past or pursued it after it was stolen from the vault, and so that would open up the possibility of a past story showing how that all goes down, involving Thanos, who, I believe is confirmed for GOTG. Correct?

I'm sure Thanos has been looking for the Cube for the past 1000 years, but he didn't find out about it being on Earth until Loki told him about it in 2012.

But in all honesty, I don't know if this will *ever* be addressed in the MCU. Might remain one of those plot mysteries that are never solved. Joss was asked why the Cube wound up on Earth in an interview recently, and he point-blank admitted that he simply didn't know.

Well, that's just it --- I'm assuming the immortals didn't *know* the mortals had the Cube. Depends on how omniscient you want to make your Norse gods/ancient aliens, but my theory is that "the foolish Midgardians" somehow got hold of it during the Frost Giant Wars and intentionally hid it from the gods (good *or* bad) to keep more bad **** from happening to our world.

but why hide it from Odin with a myth and image attached that is related to Odin and the Asgardians? That's not a very smart way to hide something AT ALL (of course that may be the case, they were simply not smart, but then it would seem someone like Odin should have found it sooner and recovered it, in this case)

maybe it was his mere presence that allowed them to activate the Cube to get back home. ;)

I think if that were the case then that would mean that Loki should have control over it, if he can activate it, and if that were the case then in Thor 2 he and Thor will wind up somewhere far far away from either Asgard or Thanos, somewhere Loki wants to be. which we both are fairly certain, I think, based on spoilers, is not the case. :oldrazz:

But in all honesty, I don't know if this will *ever* be addressed in the MCU. Might remain one of those plot mysteries that are never solved. Joss was asked why the Cube wound up on Earth in an interview recently, and he point-blank admitted that he simply didn't know.

Yeah. that question/interview, is what made me question, if they might deal with that through the GOTG movies, if set in the past of the current MCU. Odin and Thanos have certainly been around a long time, and I think it certainly leaves a door open for that story of how and why it went missing from Odin's vault in the first place. I mean, why say it was from Odin's vault and link it to the Asgardians, and then not use that somewhere down the line? they could have just left it completely mysterious, that it's just there, or some other alien race dropped it off or something.

Last edited:
it might happen, but not out of any necessity. no offfense, but your premise is illogical and counter to reality.
You must have imagined that premise on your own. At no point did I say it would be more likely out of necessity. It's about casting whoever is best for the role and not worrying about whether they've already played some minor part in a separate barely connected film/TV series. The longer it goes on the more likely it'll be that that's happened.

Yep and it's corny beyond belief. Hollywood isn't exactly hurting for talented actors looking for work in big budget flicks, there's no reason to double-dip. Especially on Chuck of all people

If you really want an actor reused I'm all for Sam Rockwell voicing Rocket :o
Ray Stevenson would be better. But anyway, I don't particularly want it, I'm just not against it. At least not in all cases.

And I don't see how it's corny. Maybe it's a little cheesy, like when they hang a lantern on it and try to say they're distant relatives or something, but normally most people won't even notice. I mean, how many people are bothered that Peter Weller is in the new Star Trek movie even though he already played a completely different part in Enterprise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"