Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
and there's more...

Jim Vejvoda ‏@StaxIGN
@JamesGunn @ign @zacharylevi Cab you please send your full statement you deleted from FB? All I had to go on was quote used by site sourced

Jim Vejvoda ‏@StaxIGN
@JamesGunn then what are you saying exactly? You deleted your FB quote. You said Variety report was inaccurate & they said Levi was up 4 it

James Gunn ‏@JamesGunn
@StaxIGN @IGN I didn't deny (or confirm) specifics. I just said the majority of the Variety article was inaccurate. So your headline is off.

Jim Vejvoda ‏@StaxIGN
@JamesGunn @ign ok story updated

James Gunn ‏@JamesGunn
@StaxIGN appreciate it.

Jeff Sneider from Variety also tweeted these bits separately...

Jeff Sneider ‏@TheInSneider
. @jtabrys Gotta love directors of comicbook tentpoles who claim 'everything is inaccurate' but decline to elaborate on specifics...

. @jtabrys Also weird how Sturgess and Levi never denied it, and neither did Marvel. Maybe James isn't on the same page as everyone else...

Ah yes, the old "a posting he later removed." Believe me, if there was something grossly inaccurate, some1 would have called to ***** & moan

Wow....so Variety was right after all, and fanboys jumped the gunn (pun intended) and pretended he said something that he didn't? And now he's got caught in the crossfire of a Tweety war between him, Variety, and IGN?

It might not be classy to say "I toldja so" right now, but I'm gonna do it anyway, h8rs:

I toldja so. :oldrazz:

Wow....so Variety was right after all, and fanboys jumped the gunn (pun intended) and pretended he said something that he didn't? And now he's got caught in the crossfire of a Tweety war between him, Variety, and IGN?

It might not be classy to say "I toldja so" right now, but I'm gonna do it anyway, h8rs:

I toldja so. :oldrazz:
this is not at all what happend. he posted that an article was incorrect but didn't go into specifics. when ign posted an article about it, stating in the headline a very spefific thing, he corrected them, because that was not what he said. he didn't write 'zach levi is not in the run' or 'sturgess is not in the run' but 'the variety article is incorrect' and there is a big difference.

that doesn't mean at all that sturgess or levi are back in the game, just that gunn doesn't want to go into spefics about the casting yet.

and this variety guy is a *****e.

KsGzi.jpg

this is not at all what happend. he posted that an article was incorrect but didn't go into specifics. when ign posted an article about it, stating in the headline a very spefific thing, he corrected them, because that was not what he said. he didn't write 'zach levi is not in the run' or 'sturgess is not in the run' but 'the variety article is incorrect' and there is a big difference.

that doesn't mean at all that sturgess or levi are back in the game, just that gunn doesn't want to go into spefics about the casting yet.

and this variety guy is a *****e.

That *is* what happened, because you just "corrected" me by repeating exactly what I said in the post before. It was *fans,* including fansites, that incorrectly stated that Gunn said Levi wasn't in the running. In fact, several of you made that same error just a page or three ago.

All Gunn said was that almost all of the article was incorrect, and then took down the Tweet. The Variety guy isn't being a "*****e" for being accused of being a liar. He's standing by his sources, and correctly pointing out that neither Marvel nor the actors' agents have demanded a retraction (which is customary in this case, especially for THE major trade paper of Hollywood). And he correctly states that Gunn and Marvel probably aren't on the same page with casting decisions right now. That's the most obvious explanation for Gunn deleting the Tweet.

If they haven't asked him to retract it, isn't that normally a sign that it's false? Usually when a site gets a valid scoop, the info isn't allowed to stay up for long.

If they haven't asked him to retract it, isn't that normally a sign that it's false?

Um....what? :huh:
If a news outlet prints something *false,* that's when you, almost by definition, ask them to retract it.

Usually when a site gets a valid scoop, the info isn't allowed to stay up for long.

The only thing a studio can ask a website to take down is something that actually belongs to them, like a leaked trailer or leaked footage or a leaked script. That's property theft, and a studio can issue a cease & desist, or even prosecute. They can't stop a news outlet from reporting on hearsay and rumor, unless the content can be considered slander or libel; they can only issue their own public denial or "no comment."

The fact that neither Marvel nor the actors/agents have not done the latter, and the fact that Variety is THE trade paper of Hollywood (i.e., they don't go to print unless they check their sources), make Variety's report credible.

Gunn asked IGN to change a headline that misquoted him. Gunn took down his tweet because Marvel doesn't want their employees commenting on active casting processes. I don't know why you're posturing to make this seem more complicated than it is, or as though Variety is this infallible bastion of journalistic integrity.

Variety ran a report saying "IT'S DOWN TO THESE TWO GUYS, Y'ALL!", Gunn tweeted that it was inaccurate, Marvel asked him to take down his tweet. There's your sequence of events. No more or less complicated than that. Marvel doesn't demand retractions when it comes to these casting lists or make a no comment. They simply don't comment.

In all likelihood it's "down" to nobody, and we still aren't very close to Star-Lord being cast.

To add to the discussion, James Gunn did bother to tweet to Zac Levi regarding this inaccurate headline.

Screenshot2012-12-26at35807PM_zps2cf981d1.png

Maybe the only accurate bit of the original story is the part about Zac nailing the screen test and all the rest was to obscure contract negotiations under way.

Last edited:
IGN included Levi's twitter handle in its tweet so when Gunn hits reply that handle is automatically included at the start of it

You know what we can do? Just wait til they make an actual announcement.

Or we can all keep decrying it b/c I don't want to live in a world where freaking Chuck is cast as Star-Lord :argh:

Or we can all keep decrying it b/c I don't want to live in a world where freaking Chuck is cast as Star-Lord :argh:

Yeah I feel you but what can we do? If he does get the part I will move to hope for the best and support him in the role.

Yeah I feel you but what can we do? If he does get the part I will move to hope for the best and support him in the role.
Nothing, really, although the internet outcry is supposedly one of the reasons Krasinski didn't land Cap.

Levi in this role is basically Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern redux. Hard to hope for the best.

(Tbh I'd rather see Krasinski in this role)

Nothing, really, although the internet outcry is supposedly one of the reasons Krasinski didn't land Cap.

Levi in this role is basically Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern redux. Hard to hope for the best.

(Tbh I'd rather see Krasinski in this role)

At least Krasinski has shown he can do drama. I can't say the same for Levi. I just fear he's going to be all goofball in this role.

He just has that cartoony kind of face, even when he tries to act serious it eventually veers off to goofball again. I don't mind him as an actor but he is all kinds of wrong for this kind of role.

But so far Marvel's done a pretty great job at casting so I'll keep assuming he won't land the role

Chewy's comparison of Levi with Ryan Reynolds is spot on, IMO. I like Reynolds, but his casting as Hal was wrong right from the start.

Don't get me started on Krasinski either. Who can forget the "Scarf-Lord" pic...

tumblr_l9rmpvPZaD1qcujlyo1_400.jpg

It's Edgerton, then Pace for me. (In that order).

I like Levi in Chuck but that's about it. As others have said, he just doesn't have a dramatic side to him. In a movie with a talking raccoon, you don't need a lead actor doing waxy reaction faces.

I like Levi in Chuck but that's about it. As others have said, he just doesn't have a dramatic side to him. In a movie with a talking raccoon, you don't need a lead actor doing waxy reaction faces.

While I admit I'm not impartial ... If you question Levi's ability to do drama as well as comedy you haven't seen the last few episodes of Chuck Season 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"