• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it hard to believe that if Marvel/Disney were in negotiations with Fox over certain F4 characters that they wouldn't try to get Marvel's greatest villian - Dr. Doom. In the end, I see them going for the whole stable of characters.
Yes and no. The cosmic characters are of a great value to Marvel when you take into consideration as to what they're doing. With that said I think Disney is trying to get more than just the F4 cosmic characters back.

I still don't know. The clock won't be ticking on F4 for another 2 years (FFROTSS came out in 2007, Elektra came out in 2005), and trading the whole F4 universe for an extension on Daredevil sounds completely unbalanced. Maybe your hunch is true, and if so, Marvel must be borrowing Disney's lawyers or something, because it sounds like Fox has its balls in a vise!
I've long said this. When I say Disney has the best lawyers in the world that's not just hyperbole. They truly do have the best lawyers in the world.

I really don't get that impression at all, and if Fox did such a trade, they be fools, as the F4 have much greater franchise potential than Daredevil.
It wouldn't be the first time.

Outside of Doom, FF wouldn't have that many good villains to face off with in their movies if the cosmic stuff was taken away, would they?
"Cosmic stuff" was just my summary. Only characters specifically named are Galactus and Surfer, though the article says that they're "among" the characters. Annihilus is probably priority #3 for Marvel.

Outside of Doom, FF wouldn't have that many good villains to face off with in their movies if the cosmic stuff was taken away, would they?
Let's hope that if Marvel strips Fox of F4's cosmic characters, Fox's F4 franchise eventually dies down and the whole gang eventually heads over!

Fox must be smart enough to realise FF just wouldn't last without the cosmic stuff, and hand the rest of the characters over too... It's not like they've been itching to get another movie out, they just wanted to keep the rights until Marvel would pay them big money for them back.

Nope. Mole Man, Puppet Master, and **** like that.

f5PSI.jpg

Do want :awesome:

This would be insane...

Is it a loan deal? Or a 'Marvel would have their rights exclusively' type thing?

I read Avi Arad said somewhere that Sony have the rights to Kingpin, but they loaned them to FOX for Affleck's Daredevil.

This would be insane...

Is it a loan deal? Or a 'Marvel would have their rights exclusively' type thing?

I read Avi Arad said somewhere that Sony have the rights to Kingpin, but they loaned them to FOX for Affleck's Daredevil.

From the article it sounds like it could just be a loan in return for DD rights getting extended which seems a fairish trade, but who knows what's actually on the table right now. If it's just a loan it might also stipulate that FOX aren't allowed to use Silver Surfer et al for a certain amount of years/movies even if they retain over all rights to the characters.

I can't see FOX being willing to part with half the F4 franchise characters permanently if they really are gearing up for a reboot in the future and TA means that anyone with rights to a superhero team isn't going to let them go lightly, especially as the previous movies did make them money.

OTOH it might well be that much of the most recent talk of a new movie in the next two years was tactics for extracting maximum cash and deals on all other properties because now is the time they are desperate to get "The Cosmic Avengers" set up.

Last edited:
It makes sense in a way because if GotG takes off, Annihilation is the next logical step in that process. They would need those characters.

It maybe the case that both marvel and fox would have the rights to use galactus and silver surfer and others in this arrangement if it happens. marvel and fox both can use quicksilver and the scarlet witch so it has precedence. this is a good way for marvel not to have to balance all it's characters at once and not tie roaming characters to one franchise.

Last edited:
Mole Man isn't **** at all. He would be epic to watch on the big screen with all of his crazy Monsters and the different environments of Subterranea.

That's actually true. For my other crappy villain I will replace him with...

ESTEBAN DIABLO!

527077-di1_super.jpg

If Marvel can pull this off, great. But without Galactus, the Silver Surfer, and Namor, the only bankable villain that Fox would have left for F4 is Dr. Doom (I can't imagine people flocking to theaters to see the Fantastic Four take on Mole Man). If Fox goes through with this, they are effectively weakening the franchise potential for this property. The mere fact that Fox is apparently so desperate to keep Daredevil that they are willing to give up several key members of the F4 stable is truly confusing to me, as F4 is easily the more bankable property between the two.

Honestly, if I were Marvel, I'd try and shoot for the entire property. Fox seems to really want Daredevil. Put their balls in the fire.

In addition to the cosmic characters, if Marvel could get their hands on Dr. Doom - holy ****.

Last edited:
Doom in an Avengers sequel would be too good to be true. I wouldn't believe it until I saw the movie twice :oldrazz:

I would agree with Boom if we just didn't get a Spider-Man movie with The Lizard. I mean, he's probably down the list with Mysterio when it comes to villains.

the lizard is great for one story (which is better for a film than serialised entertainment,) but his story as told in ASM wasn't that well done. he's like Jekyll Hyde mixed with Frankenstein mixed with Jurassic park, pure movie magic right there if done right.

This deal would be in-freaking-credible if Marvel can pull it off. Fox has had the rights to Galactus & The Silver Surfer for over a decade yet hasn't managed to do anything more than screw them over in all that time. The studio doesn't understand them, doesn't value them and will never invest the kind of money needed to do them justice. Marvel, on the other hand, has intricate plans in place that would see a cosmic story with those two which would portray them on screen the way they should be seen. None of that cloud crap because some moronic exec thinks that Galactus looks like a Transformer. :wall:

Galactus facing off against The Avengers and GotG would be all kinds of epic. The fact that it goes against comics canon wouldn't faze me one bit.

Good ol' Nikki Finke's minions have jumped in to knock down the Variety story on Fox's behalf, so we'll have to wait and see what the truth is. I certainly hope that Deadline is just being used by sources as part of the back-and-forth of negotiations between the two studios. Should forge ahead with an FF reboot they're likely to **** over the Big G again because they are too damn cheap and stupid to get him right.

Didn't Nikki Finke also downplay the Wolverine Origins leak and insisted the final cut would be drastically different? Look how that turned out.

With that said Snieder has also been wrong before. Even then I agree xeno000 in that I hope Marvel/Disney is able to acquire Silver Surfer and Galactus along with a couple of other cosmic characters back into their hands.

Quite frankly I want the F4 back too because it isn't as Fox is going to do anything great with it. It hasn't helped that Josh Trank is also tied to two other movies (one being Shadow of the Colossus with Sony and the other with WB adapting a comic that escapes me at the moment).

Didn't Nikki Finke also downplay the Wolverine Origins leak and insisted the final cut would be drastically different? Look how that turned out.

With that said Snieder has also been wrong before. Even then I agree xeno000 in that I hope Marvel/Disney is able to acquire Silver Surfer and Galactus along with a couple of other cosmic characters back into their hands.

Quite frankly I want the F4 back too because it isn't as Fox is going to do anything great with it. It hasn't helped that Josh Trank is also tied to two other movies (one being Shadow of the Colossus with Sony and the other with WB adapting a comic that escapes me at the moment).

Red Star. And don't forget Sony's Venom. So yeah, Trank's got a plateful. I don't look for the wheels to start turning on an FF reboot for at least 3 years.

So heres a bit of speculation. After/during an action-packed opening sequence, the film will feature debriefing to introduce the team members.

guardianspi4.jpg

Not that this pic shows many confirmed characters, just an example. I think that'd be an enjoyable nod to the comics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"