Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Box Office Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say a billion is not out of the question. The first one was huge, and the sequel is getting the May release slot. It just needs a strong marketing campaign, and to be as good as the first.

Its Marvel movie and sequel to popular Marvel movie so that a good start.

Indeed. Its worth noting that the only MCU sequel to not increase over the first is Avengers 2, and that was the one to drop from 1.5B to "only" 1.4B. Even a Thor 1/2 sized jump would push it way into billion territory, and that was the second smallest sequel increase Marvel has had ( after Iron Man 1/2 ).

Where the hell is the poll? JB33 your thread making priveledges have been revoked.

Anyway this is cracking $1 billion. Quote me on that.

I'm gonna go ahead and join the, "This'll make a billion," club.

Poll added. Sorry guys!

I set it to close the Monday after opening weekend. I'll give everyone the opening weekend if they want to wait until then to cast their vote.

When I went to go see Doctor Strange on Friday, the reaction to this movies teaser trailer was insane. Out of all the trailers it got the most cheers. When Groot and Rocket showed up at the end the audience erupted in applause and a big "Awwwww".

Needless to say, this movie is going to be pretty big. Obviously there's tons of anticipation and goodwill after the reception of the first one and now the reactions to the trailer are super positive.

Fixed the poll. I say 500-600 as low WW

Poll added. Sorry guys!

I set it to close the Monday after opening weekend. I'll give everyone the opening weekend if they want to wait until then to cast their vote.
You didn't look at the year lol it closed the same day you made it. so I set it for 700 days from the day you started it.

You didn't look at the year lol it closed the same day you made it. so I set it for 700 days from the day you started it.

Woops! Thanks.

I really think GotG Vol. 2 has a good chance of getting to 1 Billion at the BO. If the reception of the trailers at the theaters is of any indication, the movie is going to be huge.

I really think GotG Vol. 2 has a good chance of getting to 1 Billion at the BO. If the reception of the trailers at the theaters is of any indication, the movie is going to be huge.

It will be huge. People LOVE Guardians. I'm anticipating a top 10 domestic opening weekend, which means $160M +.

I still think this will make a billion, especially now that Alice 2 bombed hardly, Pirates 5 may do the same come next Memorial Day Weekend in 2017, now that Johnny Depo has turned his own name into box office poison.

There's no way a Pirates of the Caribbean movie is going to bomb. It's one of the most successful franchises.

There's no way a Pirates of the Caribbean movie is going to bomb. It's one of the most successful franchises.

It's hard to gauge that since it's been a while since the last one and Johnny Depp isn't the A-lister he used to be. It might not bomb, but I have my doubts
it'll reach a billion.

It's hard to gauge that since it's been a while since the last one and Johnny Depp isn't the A-lister he used to be. It might not bomb, but I have my doubts
it'll reach a billion.

I'm pretty sure the overseas gross will be massive, just like the last one. Domestic? Tough to say. It'll be a brutal summer movie schedule and the hype for it has really died down since At World's End . I'll go with around $200M, and that's not very conservative either.

it'll reach a billion.

It hasn't been that long. The last film came out only five years' ago (six next year).

Pirates of the Caribbean is a proven franchise. There's absolutely no way it will flop.

I'm starting to believe it can do more than 1B.

I think 850-950 million is a good figure. But a billion isn't out of the question.

I think 850-950 million is a good figure. But a billion isn't out of the question.

Exactly. Pirates of the Caribbean isn't some untested franchise like Disney's live-action take of Alice In Wonderland was when they decided to make a sequel. By the time Pirates releases next July, most will have either forgotten or won't care about Johnny Depp's alleged sexual abuse (which, by the way, Johnny Depp hasn't even been found guilty of because his other half dropped the claim!). It's supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until proven innocent.

Still quote me one over a billion, easy. Unless Gunn totally screws the pooch here and even then I think it'd get close on goodwill alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"