Watchmen HBO Eyeing ‘Watchmen’ TV Series from Damon Lindelof

Noticed this on Amazon Prime. Anyone know how long it’ll be there

I just finished this show. I have to let it simmer and digest it before I think i can accurately interpret my feelings on it.

Never mind. It was on Prime for a day. Now it is off. Oh well. At least the first two episodes were great.
Yeah it was supposed to be free for last weekend only and it seems like a couple of services kept it up free for a couple extra days. I do recommend finishing it whenever you get a chance - episode 3 is where it got really good for me.

Yeah it was supposed to be free for last weekend only and it seems like a couple of services kept it up free for a couple extra days. I do recommend finishing it whenever you get a chance - episode 3 is where it got really good for me.
Wish I would’ve known. I’m always behind on these things. Lol. But it was very engaging in the first two episodes. I really liked it, and I am not an enormous Watchmen fan. I will have to finish it sometime. I don’t typically do HBO services, but I think there’s a good bet that I will eventually do a free trial of their newest service at some point. (I wish it would hit DC Universe but I think that service is probably going to be neglected in the wake of HBO’s service)

1a7a625d1582ee2e98a7f942de86d0b9d0316860.jpg

‘Watchmen’, ‘Unbelievable’ Lead TCA Award Nominations With Four Apiece; HBO Tops With 16 Overall Noms – Deadline

HBO’s Watchmen and Netflix’s Unbelievable led the field in the 36th annual Television Critics Association Awards nominations, netting four apiece.

Individual Achievement in Drama

Cate Blanchett, Mrs. America – FX on Hulu
Kaitlyn Dever, Unbelievable – Netflix
Regina King, Watchmen – HBO
Mark Ruffalo, I Know This Much Is True – HBO
Rhea Seehorn, Better Call Saul – AMC
Jeremy Strong, Succession – HBO
Merrit Wever, Unbelievable – Netflix

Outstanding Achievement in Movie or Miniseries

Little Fires Everywhere – Hulu
Mrs. America – FX on Hulu
Normal People – Hulu
The Plot Against America – HBO
Unbelievable – Netflix
Watchmen – HBO

Outstanding New Program

The Great – Hulu
The Mandalorian – Disney+
The Morning Show – AppleTV+
Never Have I Ever – Netflix
Watchmen – HBO
Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist – NBC

Program of the Year

Better Call Saul – AMC
Mrs. America – FX on Hulu
Schitt’s Creek – Pop TV
Succession – HBO
Unbelievable – Netflix
Watchmen – HBO

Tim Blake Nelson reveals original Looking Glass backstory in 'Watchmen'

But that was not showrunner Damon Lindelof’s original plan. Nelson told EW Live that he had been given a completely different backstory for the character, and one that only changed after the first three episodes had already been filmed. “I had been operating under different assumptions about why he was a detective and what his story was,” says Nelson. “And based on the first three episodes, Damon and the writers changed their mind about what originally they envisioned for the reveal of who Wade was in episode 5.”

So what was the original backstory? “The backstory was entirely different,” Nelson says. “And I don’t want to go into too much detail, but it involved an interracial relationship that Wade had had that had ended very badly. And I loved that notion. I’m in an interracial marriage myself in my own real life and have three children in that marriage, and so these are issues that are very close to me. And although my interracial marriage has a very happy present — and, I think, future and past — Wade’s was really tragic and really dark and really just changed the course of his life.”

Considering the prevalent issue of race all over the series — the very first scene was set in the Tula race massacre of 1921 — it is no surprise that Wade’s original backstory was tied into that theme with an interracial relationship. But then Lindelof had other ideas. “Damon changed his mind about that and instead put Wade’s sexual awakening back at the time of the squid attack in 1985 in the original Watchmennovel,” says Nelson. “I think that was a better decision for the show as a whole and really smart writing.”

Nelson also gives his showrunner credit for crafting a new story that did not contradict any of the actors’ choices in the first three episodes. “Very much to Damon’s credit, even though I had been operating with this completely different backstory, it didn’t really change any of the macro decisions I had made about Wade,” says Nelson. “And so it was perfectly coherent with every decision I had made in the past, and I don’t credit myself with that. I credit the fact that Damon and the writers, that even though they were going to change the backstory so dramatically, they were going to do it in a way that they wouldn’t screw their actor over and make the decisions I made suddenly incoherent. And they didn’t do that. And I was just very, very excited to play this new story in a way that wasn’t going to contravene anything I had done before.”

Nominated for a ton of Emmys, including Best Limited Series, Best Actor for Irons, Best Actress for King, Best Supporting Actor for Jovan, Yahya & Gosset and Best Supporting Actress for Jean Smart

I love it. Honestly, I feel like the only ones of the actors who has a shot of potentially winning are Gossett and Smart. Still, nice to see Watchmen get so many nominations.

Regina definitely has the best shot IMO, but I would also love it if Jovan Adepo got Best Supporting Actor, especially after how fantastic his performance was in "This Extraordinary Being" even though that whole episode was pretty incredible in itself. The entire Watchmen cast was great overall though and I would honestly be satisfied with any of them winning something.

I was really hoping for a nomination for Tim Blake Nelson, but the three Watchmen dudes nominated in Best Supporting Actor all did fantastic work. I'd give the edge to Adepo

All the cast were incredible in the series! Really happy for Regina, Lou, Jeremy, Jovan, and especially Yahya!

He did such a great job as Cal/Manhattan in the last two episodes with the body language, change in vocal inflection, and had terrific chemistry with everyone!

Also bummed out Tim didn’t get a nomination!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"