• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

House of the Dragon House of the Dragon General Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

I'm kind of surprised at how big this premiere was. I didn't think that many people still cared after how much criticism the final season of Thrones got. I'm glad that a lot of people still care about the franchise.

This series is, in part, a response to eight years of people complaining about rushed storylines. It's really not gonna rush.
To be fair, the rushed storyline complaints didn't start happening until around season five. The show took its time until then since it was sticking closer to the books.

The in-universe excuse is that the crown was in massive debt during S1 of GOT so they had to downsize the tourney budget. :o

They've been advertising to the point of annoyance. Guess it paid off.
haha for reals they had ads at the bottom of Food Network shows. I didn't realize Warner must own part of the network or just paid a ton to do it.

I'm kind of surprised at how big this premiere was. I didn't think that many people still cared after how much criticism the final season of Thrones got. I'm glad that a lot of people still care about the franchise.

To be fair, the rushed storyline complaints didn't start happening until around season five. The show took its time until then since it was sticking closer to the books.

The in-universe excuse is that the crown was in massive debt during S1 of GOT so they had to downsize the tourney budget. :o
The 3 years since Season 8 and the drought of high fantasy premium television probably helped.

It looks like the GOT season 1 tourney's budget was Littlefinger's pocket change.

I meant the past eight years since the start of season 6. Probably should've clarified that. :D

For someone like me that only watched the shows and am not into the full lore with the books, I loved this first episode. This to me was already easily like 100 times better than GOT. This just feels a lot more focused.

Whereas the more GOT went on the more it annoyed me in all the things it was covering. It got too busy. And as for the later seasons and especially the final season of course well, I won’t go on rant about that again. Already did that after it ended. Just horrible stuff.

Last edited:

It shows that people really wanted to like the late seasons of GoT and felt betrayed that it had been rushed by creators who just wanted to get out at that point IMO. It’s not that they didn’t care about the underlying material any more. The early seasons are still great and as good as TV shows get.

^True when I did a rewatch recently I was able to watch every season except season 8. I really tried to watch it too but didn’t make it past ep 2.

^True when I did a rewatch recently I was able to watch every season except season 8. I really tried to watch it too but didn’t make it past ep 2.
Yeah, I still enjoy all the seasons aside from the final one. I know others started having big issues with season 6 and 7 but I was still having fun with it until then.

I wonder what the ratings will be like moving forward. I think despite the disappointment of the ending, people still love this world and most probably tuned in to see how this show compares to Thrones. Judging by everyone’s reactions online, looks like they’ve succeeded in convincing people that it’s worthwhile to check this show out.

I haven't done a full rewatch because it's so hard to see things in seasons 1 - 7 knowing it means nothing or goes somewhere stupid. But it's getting easier to ignore season 8. If or when I do a rewatch I intend to stop with season 7. And I'll continue with the Jon Snow sequel if it ever materializes. I'll just fit my head canon version of season 8 into that framework as best I can.

Yeah I've been rewatching game of thrones. I just wish they would go back and film the battles they didn't put in season 1. I know back then they had time and money issues. They didn't know the show would be a hit back then, but they can now go back and put in the battles. The last season is where the show is rushed to a finish for me. So I can still enjoy most of the series.

i did a rewatch and stopped at the end of S6 when Dany takes her fleet to westeros
the shortened seasons were the problem

One thing I’m confused about… I thought the Targaryens ruled from Dragonstone instead of King’s Landing. Or is it just like their home but it was never the official capital?

I was wondering this myself. I can only guess the capital is where the Throne is. No matter who sits on it.

Yeah, I guess so. But I think they even mentioned Dragonstone at the beginning during the coronation scene. I guess it doesn’t really matter but it just left me wondering.

I assume the capital has moved around a bit.

this is from the wiki

“King's Landing was founded by King Aegon I Targaryen, King of the Andals and the First Men. He established a small wooden fort atop the hill, named the Aegonfort in his honor, where his ships first landed from Dragonstone, and used this as a base for his campaign to conquer the continent. Having achieved his goal, he established the new capital on the site of his original fort. The city expanded rapidly under his descendants.”

Dragonstone is more like maralago to the White House during the trump admin.

this is from the wiki

“King's Landing was founded by King Aegon I Targaryen, King of the Andals and the First Men. He established a small wooden fort atop the hill, named the Aegonfort in his honor, where his ships first landed from Dragonstone, and used this as a base for his campaign to conquer the continent. Having achieved his goal, he established the new capital on the site of his original fort. The city expanded rapidly under his descendants.”

Thanks. :D

this is from the wiki

What a horrible example. :funny:

But thanks for the info :up::cwink:

I wonder what the ratings will be like moving forward. I think despite the disappointment of the ending, people still love this world and most probably tuned in to see how this show compares to Thrones. Judging by everyone’s reactions online, looks like they’ve succeeded in convincing people that it’s worthwhile to check this show out.
Think it should so well for the next couple of Sundays the real test will be when Sunday Night Football returns

Think it should so well for the next couple of Sundays the real test will be when Sunday Night Football returns

Engagement is different now HBO has nothing coming after it at the moment so they going back to back to back. And people streaming it on a chosen device.

Isn't this to be expected? You not only have to live up to Game Of Thrones but you also have to compete with all the other FX/visual heavy shows. I'm sure there are plenty of other factors that could be mentioned. I guess my ultimate question would be how does House Of The Dragon S1 compare to say S7&8 of GOT or any of the current Marvel shows?

Well, I can't be too surprised. Especially how big of a hit it was. Though I'm not loving it as opposed to just liking it, I hope it maintains the quality it has without falling off a cliff. I'm still skeptical, but a tad hopeful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"