• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Amazing Spider-Man How Old Should Peter Be?

The DarK Knight had none of that?

The Joker in a Nurse's uniform.
The Joker walking away tra-la-la while a hospital complex explodes behind him. His wacking the detonator to get it to finish igniting the bombs.

How is that fluff? You might not have liked it but it wasn't fluff. It was part of the story and part of the character. The hospital blowing up was a big part of the story. That scene wasn't fluff at all.

The Joker burning hundreds of millions of dollars while his mercenaries stand idly by, instead of blowing him away and trying to grab it for themselves.

They never said Joker's men were mercs. They did say they were crazy and gravitate to him. Which makes perfect sense then why they wouldn't go after the money.

Batman figuring that a city- that's used to corrupt politicians- will fall apart if Dent is exposed for the Two-Face murders.

The city was tired of corrupt politicins. One right after another. What do you think the people of the city would think when they found out the guy that was their last hope, the guy that many people of the city put their trust in already to clean it up, ended up being just as bad as all the rest of the guys before him? They'd loose all hope and the city would slip even further down the drain. I think you missed the entire point of TDK all together.

Two-Face magically escaping from the mobster's moving car.

He put his seat belt on. How is that magic?

"I'm supposed to kill the bus driver" And the bus magically and silently appears and kills the henchman.

That furthed the story as well. I will give you that it showing up right as he gave the line was silly.

Bruce Wayne figuring Gotham was safe in Dent's care since he'd put away a slew of mobsters, even though the only reason Dent could put them away was because of Batman's efforts.

Again, how is that fluff? Sure Batman helped but the point was Dent was a man people could believe in. He was a man that could take the city back. Not a freak in a costume. That was the whole point of the movie.

Batman- a crazed-vigilante- kidnapping a very prominent and very rich Chinese citizen and there not being a GIGANTIC international incident.

And yet again, that isn't fluff since it furthed the story. Besides, when did the movie say the Chinese goverment knew Batman was an American? You're assuming so that you have more things to gripe about. And even still, just because the movie didn't show it doesn't mean the Chinese goverment wasn't upset about what happened afterwards. That doesn't make it fluff. Do you even know what "fluff" is?

Fluff in movies are scenes that do not further the story or character development at all and are put in for a cheap laugh. Spider-Man was full of those scenes. Almost every scene JJJ was in was fluff. When JJJ is one of the best, well rounded, 3 dimensional comic characters out there. Hoffman's character was pure fluff. The scene with JJJ and Raimi's daughter, fluff. Spider-Man had way too much fluff and not enough time developing it's characters.

All those TDK scenes you mentioned aren't fluff just because you didn't like them or think you can pick them apart. They all still furthed the story. A guy singing "He dresses like a spider and looks like a bug. We should all give him one big hug!" is fluff because it had nothing to do with the story and was thrown in for a cheap laugh.

Last edited:
How is that fluff? You might not have liked it but it wasn't fluff. It was part of the story and part of the character. The hospital blowing up was a big part of the story. That scene wasn't fluff at all.

I did like it. And my criticism is not the Joker blowing up the hospital per se Although his being able to wire an entire hospital complex to explode with NO ONE KNOWING is pretty ridiculous.

But the point of this discussion is how much more realisitc TDK was than Spidey.

The Joker is a nurse's uniform didn't help him to achieve his objective. It was fluff because its only purpose was to be funny. And REALISTICALLY the Joker would've been running for his life to escape the explosions, shaken up by the noise and shockwaves. He wouldn't have calmly glanced back, saw a few bombs hadn't detonated and started whacking the device to set them off. All of it fun and hilarious, but not realisitc or furthering to the story.

They never said Joker's men were mercs. They did say they were crazy and gravitate to him. Which makes perfect sense then why they wouldn't go after the money.

No it doesn't. There isn't a shred of suggestion that they're his slavish followers ala Charles Manson's Family, which they'd have to be to stand by and watch all of that money burn up.

The city was tired of corrupt politicins. One right after another. What do you think the people of the city would think when they found out the guy that was their last hope, the guy that many people of the city put their trust in already to clean it up, ended up being just as bad as all the rest of the guys before him? They'd loose all hope and the city would slip even further down the drain. I think you missed the entire point of TDK all together.

Well, this past summer 40 politicians from New Jersey were rounded up for corruption. It certainly didn't turn into rioting in the streets or dogs and cats living together in sin. Name a city where such a thing has ever happened. Thus it's NOT REALISTIC.

And Nolan had gone to all the trouble of showing the selflessness of the people of Gotham with the event on the ferries. No way these people would've come unglued because of Dent's downfall. The only purpose of Batman's statement was to contrive an ending where Batman is now huted and hated. Nolan should've been able to concoct a believable reason for this.

He put his seat belt on. How is that magic?

So a seat belt saved him from a car overturning at high speed while killing the mob boss. And you think that isn't campy?

That furthed the story as well. I will give you that it showing up right as he gave the line was silly.

How did it further the story?

Again, how is that fluff? Sure Batman helped but the point was Dent was a man people could believe in. He was a man that could take the city back. Not a freak in a costume. That was the whole point of the movie.

No- Batman did EVERYTHING. He got all the evidence. All Dent did was try the case, which any lawyer could've done. He did nothing for anyone to believe in him except take credit for Batman's work. And after Batman tried to retire, Dent was unable to do anything to deal with the Joker either. So no, he wasn't someone the people could believe in. It was fluff because it was just a silly childish concept. Totally unrealistic and did nothing at all to further the story.

And yet again, that isn't fluff since it furthed the story.

Again, it was a totally unrealitic and ridicluous act in a film held up as being realistic.

Besides, when did the movie say the Chinese goverment knew Batman was an American? You're assuming so that you have more things to gripe about.

Did you really ask that question? Batman operates in Gotham City. Gotham is where? IN AMERICA. Thus Batman is American, represents American interests. At least as far as the Chinese would be concerned. SHEESH.

And even still, just because the movie didn't show it doesn't mean the Chinese goverment wasn't upset about what happened afterwards. That doesn't make it fluff. Do you even know what "fluff" is?

Uh no, pal. The Chinese Goverment would've demanded his IMMEDIATE RELEASE. They'd probably have even demanded Batman's capture and surrender to THEM for kidnapping. The Chinese guy would never have had to testify or turn over any evidence. The case would've completely fallen apart.

Allowing such an implausible event to occur simply to move an already implausible story along is the very definition of FLUFF.

Fluff in movies are scenes that do not further the story or character development at all and are put in for a cheap laugh. Spider-Man was full of those scenes. Almost every scene JJJ was in was fluff. When JJJ is one of the best, well rounded, 3 dimensional comic characters out there. Hoffman's character was pure fluff. The scene with JJJ and Raimi's daughter, fluff. Spider-Man had way too much fluff and not enough time developing it's characters.

Fluff isn't just about cheap laughs. It's anything implausible or ridiculous that does nothing to strengthen a story. Sex can be fluff. Action can be fluff. Effects can be fluff. And certainly implausible scenes that only reflect a lack of good story-telling skills is fluff.

All those TDK scenes you mentioned aren't fluff just because you didn't like them or think you can pick them apart. They all still furthed the story. A guy singing "He dresses like a spider and looks like a bug. We should all give him one big hug!" is fluff because it had nothing to do with the story and was thrown in for a cheap laugh.

Actually, i need to ask you if YOU know what fluff is. The singing guy actually did futher the story along, since he showed one reaction of the city to Spider-Man's exploits. This was key to what happens at the end when the city folks risk themselves to help Spider-Man against the Goblin. Like YOU SAID- just because you didn't like doesn't make it fluff.

I'd say 15 or 16. Stick to the comics. By comics, I mean ASM Vol. 1. But I'm not against adding some of the touches that USM #1-5 had.

I'd say 15 or 16. Stick to the comics. By comics, I mean ASM Vol. 1. But I'm not against adding some of the touches that USM #1-5 had.

Agreed, about that age and much more dweeby then in the past spidey films, that is of course until he becomes SM, after he should man up a bit more

Except that he isn't 15 0r 16 in vol. 1. That's a retcon.

That's your opinion. Give us a link that says he was 17 or 18.

You can't. As far as we know he was 15. That's what Marvel says he was. It's 100% official. Just because you don't like it and they clarified it years later doesn't make it less true. Deal with it.

That's your opinion. Give us a link that says he was 17 or 18. You can't.

Actually I can. Here's a link. In Amazing Fantasy #15, Peter says he's a science major- which would mean he'd have to be at least a junior in High School. Peter graduates in ASM #28. You can't think that Stan crammed four years of high school into two years of comics.

As far as we know he was 15. That's what Marvel says he was. It's 100% official. Just because you don't like it and they clarified it years later doesn't make it less true. Deal with it.

You can't be serious. For you to suggest that ANYTHING Marvel states is 100% official is an exercise in futility. The very story you're referring to isn't even official.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"