• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I miss Firefly

I'm surprised no one's posted about the reunion panel at SDCC.

hh1edits on YouTube put together a video of all the Chinese spoken in the series.

[YT]4smab8KWX1w[/YT]

It was a good show, but it's a mix of over and underrated. It's still a cult thing, but if you talk to someone who loves it, you'd think the person had a religious experience.

Personally, I think I would think better of the show if two things had happened: (1) No (or less) emphasis on River, and (2) a second season. The series is highly disjointed without an overall arc and while each episode is good in and of itself, the series as a whole feels as unfinished as it is.

I never saw Firefly until after it had been cancelled. Now I shake my head at the absolute stupidity of the Fox Television executives. They had a goldmine at their fingertips and they just threw it away.

The show did give birth to one of my new all time favorite songs. No, not the show's theme. And not The Man Called Jayne either. Nope, I'm talking about She Don't Like Firefly by Mikey Mason.

"She's got a good job,
She works hard for my money,
She looks like a model, like a Playboy bunny,
She likes comic books and video games,
She even plays Warhammer 40 K

But she don't like Firefly,
That's why I had to say goodbye,
No she don't like Firefly,
Now she'd gone, gone, gone

She likes a good beer,
She drives a hybrid car,
She's hotter than her Warcraft avatar,
She's got her own dice bag for role playing games,
She even wears Steampunk Lingerie,

But she don't like Firefly,
She didn't even cry when Wash died,
No she don't like Firefly,
Now she's gone, gone, gone"

There's another verse, but I can't remember all of it. Look the music video up on You Tube. It's worth it.

"Goldmine" might be overdoing it a bit, but FOX certainly never gave it a chance, the bastards...

Holy **** that She Don't Like Firefly video was ****ing great! HAHAHA

I recently aquired this series and have almost watched every episode, maybe 2 left or something, I have seen the movie before though. I really like it and it's a shame it got cancelled. Also the chinese swearing thing is so funny because it's just like in Farscape, except they made up alien swear-words instead.

It was such a brilliant show. Too bad it only had one season (and a scrambled one) at that.

First TV I ever loved, still love it now of course as its just great viewing and the characters are simply brilliant. LOVED Serenity as well, damn shame we couldnt get a sequel or at least another TV series.

I just watched Objects in Space again. Early was a great villain.

"Goldmine" might be overdoing it a bit, but FOX certainly never gave it a chance, the bastards...

Overdoing it? Really? Let's see. Assuming Fox had given the show the same kind of respect WB gave Buffy, they would have had a share in the profits of (just off the top of my head) comic books, spinoff series, RPGs, video games, action figures, novels, model ships, jigsaw puzzles, Halloween costumes, musical soundtrack CDs, and at least FIVE seasons worth of DVDs. Not to mention all of the sponsors that a hit TV series generates.

I'd say "Goldmine" pretty much sums it up.

Last edited:
I just watched Objects in Space again. Early was a great villain.

Great episode, one of the best, though they were all good. Early was awesome, and Joss said he wanted to bring him back in the series and then in a sequel to Serenity if it happened. Shame.

Holy **** that She Don't Like Firefly video was ****ing great! HAHAHA

Yeah, Mikey Mason is hilareous. You should check out some of his other songs. Summer Of '83, Best Game Ever, White Trash Geek, My Next Girlfriend, but I think my current favourite is She Don't Like Firefly.

"She didn't even cry when Wash died"?

If you didn't cry when Wash died, YOU HAVE NO SOUL!

Overdoing it? Really? Let's see. Assuming Fox had given the show the same kind of respect WB gave Buffy, they would have had a share in the profits of (jusy off the top of my head) comic books, spinoff series, RPGs, video games, action figures, novels, model ships, jigsaw puzzles, Halloween costumes, musical soundtrack CDs, and at least FIVE seasons worth of DVDs. Not to mention all of the sponsors that a hit TV series generates.

I'd say "Goldmine" pretty much sums it up.

The show could've been a niche hit at best. You make it sound like a ****ing media empire.

The show could've been a niche hit at best. You make it sound like a ****ing media empire.

Buffy was a TV show based on a poorly done boxoffice flop of a movie, and it became a cultural phenominon. Firefly was brilliantly written, acted, directed, and produced. If shown ANY respect by Fox, it would have been a smash hit, not just a "niche hit at best".

And look at what Joss managed to do with a "niche hit" that got no respect. He walked away from Fox with the rights to the show. He released it on DVD, and the sales went through the roof. He got to make it into a major motion picture (granted he had to cram about 4 seasons worth of content into about 90 minutes, but still). There's a tabletop RPG available. There are porcelain busts of the characters available to be purchased at comic & hobby stores. All of which Joss profits from, not Fox. Had Fox shown the show the proper respect, it would have had an even larger fanbase, and thus a larger profit margin. And with that, comes more merchandising. And with more merchandising, comes more profit.

Firefly had the potential to become this century's Star Wars. You would think that the television branch of the company that made billions off of George Lucas and his space opera would be smart enough to capitolize on that. Unfortunately, everyone who was smart enough to back George back in the day is either dead, retired, or working in the movie division of Fox.

It was a good show, but it's a mix of over and underrated. It's still a cult thing, but if you talk to someone who loves it, you'd think the person had a religious experience.

Personally, I think I would think better of the show if two things had happened: (1) No (or less) emphasis on River, and (2) a second season. The series is highly disjointed without an overall arc and while each episode is good in and of itself, the series as a whole feels as unfinished as it is.

Maybe it feels unfinished because . . . dramatic pause . . . IT WAS UNFINISHED. There was an overall story arc planned, but not all 22 planned episodes were directly linked to it. Had they been allowed to at least finish the first season, the overall story arc would have been more prevailent. And you couldn't have no focus on River, because she was essential to the overall story arc. That'll be like having no emphasis on Buffy's relationship with Angel in Season 2 of Buffy, or no focus on Dawn in Season 5. Those were critical elements to the overall story arc for those seasons of Buffy. River was critical to the overall story arc of Firefly. We just never got the chance to see how or why because we only got 5/11ths of a season. It doesn't become clear until the movie Serenity came out.

Great episode, one of the best, though they were all good. Early was awesome, and Joss said he wanted to bring him back in the series and then in a sequel to Serenity if it happened. Shame.

Well, Serenity was like a rebooting of Objects in Space.

I saw Serenity earlier today, and with Firefly iin my bagage I enjoyed it a lot more.
My favorite scene has to be when we see Serenity for the first time and the camera goes through sections of the ship in one long shot, it's really well done.

I know there's only the most slim of hopes of bringing back Firefly based on how well the reunion does...but still...it's a hope.

Well, Serenity was like a rebooting of Objects in Space.

I dont think so, Joss said he would have used Early in a sequel to Serenity if it ever happened, he said it a few times in fact.

I know there's only the most slim of hopes of bringing back Firefly based on how well the reunion does...but still...it's a hope.

Well, Joss recently stated he would try to get it going again after The Avengers 2. The interview was on the web-site which cannot be named here. Which at least means that there is hope we may see it again.

Serenity is a rebooting of OIS in that both have some bad guy chase River down and both involve River becoming part of the crew.

Okay, so? I mean, every episode had Mal doing something badass. Does that mean that every episode is a reboot of the one before it?

Okay, so? I mean, every episode had Mal doing something badass. Does that mean that every episode is a reboot of the one before it?

No, but the movie is a lot more like OIS than any other episode.

Yeah I don't recall anything in serenity indicating that objects in space never happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"