First Avenger Ideas for Captain America Marketing/Promo/Etc.

KalMart

239-Bean Irish Chili
Reaction score
Hey all....just figured I'd start a thread for creative marketing/promo/tie-in ideas for the upcoming Captain America movie that's beyond your standard trailers, posters, billboards, soda, cereal, etc.

I don't know if any of you are fans of the show American Chopper, but I have been for a long time. It occurred to me that it could be cool if the Teutuls were approached to make two bikes for the movie, to go on promotional tours et al.

One bike an old-school chopper...or better yet...an older-styled military-like layout to reflect CA's WWII-style suit in the film. Leather, saddle-bags, etc....and make it look kind of worn-in.

The other a balls-out modern chopper to reflect his newer suit...composites, modern body-work, etc.

I think it would be a great thing to bring on tours for US troops as well.

Please feel free to throw out other ideas. The cool thing about CA is that there's so much inherent iconography to work with....retro WWII-era motifs, etc.....even though it is very US-centric. There's a lot of ways to go with it beyond just your average superhero-movie-toys tie-ins and what not.

Last edited:
i said this in the trailer thread, make a faux documentary. have some old army vets talking about WWII. showing clips of old battles with cap superimposed in. or just hear stories that include cap. could be like "we were boxed in by a hail of gunfire, low on ammo."then all of a sudden it was over, and there he was" then they just show cap or the shield or something.

i said this in the trailer thread, make a faux documentary. have some old army vets talking about WWII. showing clips of old battles with cap superimposed in. or just hear stories that include cap. could be like "we were boxed in by a hail of gunfire, low on ammo."then all of a sudden it was over, and there he was" then they just show cap or the shield or something.

Excellent. :up: Maybe do some of the same around the whole digging him up from the ice...'Tony Stark: No comment'...etc. That would probably require a whole other production crew, but it could be great incentive to join an online community for Marvel, etc.

Plus, they'd make great bonus material for the DVD/BluRay. ;)

I want to see a return to the painted glamourous movie posters of the 1940's like this...
markofzorronov05.jpg

Also, did anyone see "Me and Orsen Wells"? You know the way they showed the credits at the end, in that old classic broadway style? I want them to use that for the character bios on the website.

I would like to see "The Military Channel" incorporate promos that involve Cap, show what looks like stock footage of Cap fighting in WWII. 40's inspired posters could also work as well.

Also, they could have a fictional show like Mythbusters trying to uncover the truth as to whether or not Captain America existed, complete with false interviews and what not.

To be honest, I think alot of that would be way too much effort. You mustn't forget, despite how much time anyone might spend here discussing it, it is still just a film.

I would love to see a community service drive centered around Cap's patriotism kinda like back during the war. Have kids, adults, everyone go out and help out where they can with their community, veterans, old people, the Cap attitude, be a good citizen. It doesn't even have to be an American thing. Imagine, community outreach, etc taking place with people in Cap t-shirts.

To be honest, I think alot of that would be way too much effort. You mustn't forget, despite how much time anyone might spend here discussing it, it is still just a film.

So were Eragon and I Robot, but they still had choppers built for their premieres. ;) But maybe you're right...maybe CA isn't quite up to that level. :D :oldrazz:

So were Eragon and I Robot, but they still had choppers built for their premieres. ;) But maybe you're right...maybe CA isn't quite up to that level. :D :oldrazz:

Putting on a spectacle for a premiere is one thing, but making good fake documentaries could get too expensive relative to the added interest they'll create.

Putting on a spectacle for a premiere is one thing, but making good fake documentaries could get too expensive relative to the added interest they'll create.

they could do it in segments like the Gotham Tonight pieces that aired on comcast before The Dark Knight came out

iron man did some little viral stuff with the stark expo, and stark technologies stuff. i think little ads would suffice, could just make the ad a faux documentary, don't need a whole show, just a quick snippet.

Yeah, that's what I referred to earlier in terms of putting together a whole other production crew just for the documentaries.

But for TV promos, it'd be nice to see more movies putting a little more effort into original extra material than just super-fast, condensed 15-30-second trailers.

Cool thread. I like these ideas so far!

I would say a smart way to o would be a campaign mimicking the US WWII recruiting propaganda.

Especially considering that is what they are using Cap for in the film, and comics. A living icon to get people behind, and gather support.

I would say a smart way to o would be a campaign mimicking the US WWII recruiting propaganda.

Especially considering that is what they are using Cap for in the film, and comics. A living icon to get people behind, and gather support.

Problem is that our own views of our current military campaigns ain't quite what it used to be in the 1940's. Maybe if you'd work it just for nostalgia, but then younger demographic might not 'feel' that as much as the older one.

but really....It's a %$#@'in superhero movie...so in that respect, for the younger demographic, there's nothing wrong with promising the kind of fun and excitement that they'd be looking for from any superhero movie. So the deeper/nostalgic stuff may just be for more mature potential moviegoers anyway....at least in the US.

The Japanese market.......well....they might want to tone it down with the WWII stuff.... ;)

Last edited:
Marvel said they were planning on creating 10 minute short films to show prior to thier actual features to introduce other Marvel characters. I could totally see a mockumentary about the existence of Captain America: Hero or Hoax or Captain America: Fact or fiction. Then you interview vets and they recount their experiences during the war when they saw Cap. You'd also interview other people who would claim he was just a fictional character created to promote war bonds/enlistment and pro USA propaganda during the war. We could see footage or the USO show and some captured footage of him during the war (really hard to make out like the bigfoot film or the photos of Hellboy)

That would rock and really kind of Amp up the hype machine for Cap (if you showed it before Thor )later that summer.

I would also REEEEAAAALLLY like a Drew Struzan cover for Cap. No photomanipulation... an actual painting that brings back that swashbuckling era of early cinema.

Marvel said they were planning on creating 10 minute short films to show prior to thier actual features to introduce other Marvel characters. I could totally see a mockumentary about the existence of Captain America: Hero or Hoax or Captain America: Fact or fiction. Then you interview vets and they recount their experiences during the war when they saw Cap. You'd also interview other people who would claim he was just a fictional character created to promote war bonds/enlistment and pro USA propaganda during the war. We could see footage or the USO show and some captured footage of him during the war (really hard to make out like the bigfoot film or the photos of Hellboy)

That would rock and really kind of Amp up the hype machine for Cap (if you showed it before Thor )later that summer.

I would also REEEEAAAALLLY like a Drew Struzan cover for Cap. No photomanipulation... an actual painting that brings back that swashbuckling era of early cinema.

Putting something like this before Thor would be such a smart idea to kinda give the people seeing Thor who may not know a lot about Cap a quick refresher course.

Yeah, I'm really hoping they do just that. Seems like a simple, logical & fun way to promote it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"