The Winter Soldier Captain America 2: News and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
What we're discussing is what place does Captain American have in the internal US history and culture of the MCU.

Could normal folk in the MCU (people like Darcy Lewis, for instance) know about him, or is it just people with access to government files.

Those newsreels were made by Hollywood studios for the sole purpose and intent as distribution to folks back on the homefront. Soldiers who went to major battles like Normandy would have recounted to their families and their friends and to everyone else about watching Captain Freakin' America Himself slinging his shield and mowing down an entire division of SS and punching a hole in a Panzer tank with his bare fist. And such like.

Everybody in MCU America knows who Captain America is. Back then, and now. Why is this even being doubted.....? :|

They probably just thought it was some dude in a Captain America costume at first.

It'd be like a guy dressed like Lincoln showing up and telling you to eat your vegetables.

Everybody in MCU America knows who Captain America is. Back then, and now. Why is this even being doubted.....? :|

Because it doesn't seem to be the case.

I think people don't think the guy in the Captain America suit is "The" Captain America. Why would they since he lived and died during WWII.

They should all recognize him. He was too big of a part of WWII for people not to know who he is, at least by his name.

But people may not recognize him. And it wasn't public knowledge during the Avengers that he was unfrozen, was it? Nobody in the general public knew he was alive. Now that the Avengers happened, he should be more public.

Yeah most people thought he was long-dead, and he was not wearing the same suit.

As far as they new it was a dude in a weird new Captain America cosplay suit till he showed them.

Again, a gentle reminder:

....Stuttgart.....:whatever:

Look, just a day or two before the Chit(auri) hit the fan, Captain America made his debut to the whole freakin' world at Stuttgart. "Breaking news from Stuttgart, Germany: a bizarre scene unfolded tonight at a museum gala as a strange figure with apparent metahuman powers murdered a guest and forced the rest of the sizable crowd to kneel and accept his reign over the Earth. The apparently demented individual, claiming to be the Norse god Loki, was quickly apprehended --- but not by local authorities. A SHIELD Quinjet opened fire on the suspect, and, to everyone's surprise, a figure dressed as WWII legend Captain America tried to take the metahuman individual in. He was assisted by none other than Iron Man himself, who dropped in unannounced. Further details on this breaking story as it unfolds."

^^^Yes, or as it would appear in the American media:

"Kim Kardashian, is she pregnant with Kanye's baby?!... Oh and, something something Germany..."

Again, a gentle reminder:

....Stuttgart.....:whatever:

Look, just a day or two before the Chit(auri) hit the fan, Captain America made his debut to the whole freakin' world at Stuttgart. "Breaking news from Stuttgart, Germany: a bizarre scene unfolded tonight at a museum gala as a strange figure with apparent metahuman powers murdered a guest and forced the rest of the sizable crowd to kneel and accept his reign over the Earth. The apparently demented individual, claiming to be the Norse god Loki, was quickly apprehended --- but not by local authorities. A SHIELD Quinjet opened fire on the suspect, and, to everyone's surprise, a figure dressed as WWII legend Captain America tried to take the metahuman individual in. He was assisted by none other than Iron Man himself, who dropped in unannounced. Further details on this breaking story as it unfolds."

Did you make this up? I don't remember any such news report in the actual film. As such it's perfectly reasonable that the man who appeared in Stuttgart could be a new Cap, rather than the original one, as far as the general public is concerned.

Hopefully this will be something they explore in Cap2.

The general public should have a fair comprehension of the WWII era Captain America. He was a known figure during the war....appearing in movies, war bond rallies, and fought along side regular G.I.Joes who would recount their exploits with him. There would still be many surviving vets from the war who personally had met him or at least knew first hand about him. There would be older civilians who remembered attending the rallies or seeing his movies. He would be mentioned in history books and the occasional documentary on the HISTORY CHANNEL that younger people would see and become aware of him and his adventures during the war.

Knowing how news outlets work....after the appearance of Iron Man, there would be specials on costumed heroes from the past. And thus there should be an even greater awareness of the general public of the WWII costumed hero Captain America.

Most likely though, SHIELD and the government would not immediately make any announcement that he had been revived from suspended animation after the end of CATFA. So as far as the general public would know, he died at the end of the war. So it's perfectly reasonable for the cops in NY to be skeptical at first of the guy who appears in front of them barking orders during an alien invasion. His actions in front of them of taking out four aliens with just his hands a shield may not make them think "This is the real one and only Cap from WWII!!!!"....but they would definately do as they did and say "Here is someone with a plan who can handle this situation a thousand times better than I can...so I will do as he says."

The chances are very high that in the aftermath of the invasion...SHIELD and the government will announce that yes, this is the real original Captain America.

The general public should have a fair comprehension of the WWII era Captain America. He was a known figure during the war....appearing in movies, war bond rallies, and fought along side regular G.I.Joes who would recount their exploits with him. There would still be many surviving vets from the war who personally had met him or at least knew first hand about him. There would be older civilians who remembered attending the rallies or seeing his movies. He would be mentioned in history books and the occasional documentary on the HISTORY CHANNEL that younger people would see and become aware of him and his adventures during the war.

Knowing how news outlets work....after the appearance of Iron Man, there would be specials on costumed heroes from the past. And thus there should be an even greater awareness of the general public of the WWII costumed hero Captain America.

Most likely though, SHIELD and the government would not immediately make any announcement that he had been revived from suspended animation after the end of CATFA. So as far as the general public would know, he died at the end of the war. So it's perfectly reasonable for the cops in NY to be skeptical at first of the guy who appears in front of them barking orders during an alien invasion. His actions in front of them of taking out four aliens with just his hands a shield may not make them think "This is the real one and only Cap from WWII!!!!"....but they would definately do as they did and say "Here is someone with a plan who can handle this situation a thousand times better than I can...so I will do as he says."

The chances are very high that in the aftermath of the invasion...SHIELD and the government will announce that yes, this is the real original Captain America.
Pretty much.

Actually, due to Marvel's sliding timeline, Steve has (now) slept through the cold war in the comics too.

It is a very good idea, which is why I hope they stick to the source and keep Bucky as a KGB assassin rather than a HYDRA henchman or something like that.
Which version? because as far as I knew 616 Cap was awake for the tail end. I can see Ulty Cap being more like Movie Cap.

(keep in mind I can't afford ALL my fave heroes Thor being my 1st cap 2nd comics are EXPENSIVE to me)

Last edited:
Which version? because as far as I knew 616 Cap was awake for the tail end. I can see Ulty Cap being more like Movie Cap.

(keep in mind I can't afford ALL my fave heroes Thor being my 1st cap 2ndcomics are EXPENSIVE to me)
The 616 version.

The date of Steve's thawing is said to always be "10 years ago", though some make it as little as 5 years, but it is 15 at the most.

There was a miniseries by Mark Waid a while ago called 'Man out of Time' which reexplored Steve's first few months after being found by the Avengers. During it, Tony references the Cold War as being over for some time.

odd, Never read that story. I was always used to the Cap from 1964. Too ME the cold war didn't really end until the Wall came down.

Did you make this up? I don't remember any such news report in the actual film. As such it's perfectly reasonable that the man who appeared in Stuttgart could be a new Cap, rather than the original one, as far as the general public is concerned.

Hopefully this will be something they explore in Cap2.

Except the exchange between Cap and Loki was a dead giveaway. "The last time I was in Germany...." "....Ah yes, the soldier out of time...." yadda yadda yadda.

Of course I made up the news story, but it's far more likely that news of a public incident like that before a huge crowd in a major city would spread like wildfire, than not. Camera phones, Youtube, international news, etc. etc. etc.

I don't think Joss thought it was necessary to do a public press conference for Cap the way Tony "came out" for Iron Man. It's just one of those things that you read between the lines.

But yes, if it's necessary for audiences to make no mistake that Cap is now public domain, then yeah, why not add a scene to that effect in CATWS.

But yes, if it's necessary for audiences to make no mistake that Cap is now public domain, then yeah, why not add a scene to that effect in CATWS.
To that ends I hope to see a scene in CATWS where Steve appears on the Colbert Report.

Well I vaugely remember someone on both, First Avenger, and then again during Avengers filming saying that Steve really never hid his identiy, and sort of felt uncomfertable when Phil was going on about how great it was to meet him.
The Young readers Avengers novel covered it a bit clearer saying how Steve felt uncomfertable as he hadn't often met with fans during the USO gig.
Except the exchange between Cap and Loki was a dead giveaway. "The last time I was in Germany...." "....Ah yes, the soldier out of time...." yadda yadda yadda.

Of course I made up the news story, but it's far more likely that news of a public incident like that before a huge crowd in a major city would spread like wildfire, than not. Camera phones, Youtube, international news, etc. etc. etc.

I don't think Joss thought it was necessary to do a public press conference for Cap the way Tony "came out" for Iron Man. It's just one of those things that you read between the lines.

Were they? The Howling Commandos were knocking over HYDRA camps, and while that is the kind of highly specialized assignment, it doesn't veer into the type of black ops that the government want to deny.

The thing with Cap is this; he's this awesome, badass soldier who goes into battle wearing the flag. He's unusual and thus memorable, and he would have been seen in action by hundreds if not thousands of troops, not only of the US armed forces but from other allied nations as well.

After the war, his legacy would be commemorated, if not by the government then by the troops he commanded, who would have no reason to just keep it to themselves. Books would be written about him and at some point, Hollywood would make a movie about him.

At the very least, he's as well known as Patton.

Of course, not everyone could recognize a picture of Patton, even if they know the name.

Okay, they totally need to have a minor plot point of Steve Rogers finding out about a "true history" Captain America movie. Probably made during the 70s, and about as accurate as Steve's old propaganda films.

Like I'm honestly going to be upset if she doesn't get the role, now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"