Invincible

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the next two issues are going to be about Nolan and Allen, right? Those outta be interesting.

Also, after the events of #55, I thought this would be a good chance to go back and reread the entire series. One thing that I noticed that I'm not sure if many have picked up on, but in the issue where Mark and Nolan fight the Viltrumite on Nolan's new bug-world, one of the Viltrumites there to take down Nolan and Mark looks a lot like the all-flesh version of Conquest. Check it out. I wonder if Kirkman did that intentionally.
I just finnished the bug world collection, which Viltrumite are you talking about?

I'll need to be getting the 4th collection soon.

I just finnished the bug world collection, which Viltrumite are you talking about?

I'll need to be getting the 4th collection soon.

There are 3 right? The black dude, another guy who looks like a white Senestro, and then a gray-haired guy with a mustache. Thats the one I'm talking about. I could be wrong, just thought it would be interesting if Kirkman had actually introduced Conquest, and shown his origin right under our nose.

I just wish they would've shown the aftershocks of the Invinicble war in other Image books since it featured appearances from pretty much the whole Image-verse.

Wolf-Man's showing the wreckage all over the place (obviously, since it's also Kirkman's book). I don't read any other Image superhero books, so I can't say anything about them, but yeah, it would be cool to see something like Spawn dealing with people and their reactions to the war's devastation. I know that the Image superhero universe's continuity is in flux (they can interact when the writers want them too, but they don't have to reference things like Doc Seismic kidnapping all the heroes in their respective books if the writers don't want to), but it would still be neat to see lasting effects of the destruction in other series.

Kind of late to the party on this one, but I read the Invincible Ultimate Collection Volume 1, which I believe is the first two trades that go up to issue 13.

Honestly I was less than impressed with the first half of it. It wasn't bad, and I realize this was basically his origin and establishing his cast and all that, but nothing really jumped out at me.

Now, at issue 7 came the death of the Guardians (Not sure what was up with them being mostly carbon copies of the JLA, a joke or statement from Kirkman? Either way I thought it was kind of stupid but whatever). I will admit the Omni-Man twist caught me off guard. I assumed something was going to go wrong as far as his father was concerned, but certainly nothing quite like that.

After that the second half did feel like it was picking up speed and improved. Still not quite seeing that shine that I hear about, but I'll be continuing my trade catch-up and, if I get caught up, may start reading it regularly if I enjoy it and it improves.

Also, didn't use spoiler or blackout tags as I assume the minor spoilers I posted were all well known enough by people here not to worry

The Guardians were based off of the JLA because Kirkman wanted to get readers to care about losing them. The easiest way to do that in the short amount of pages Kirkman had to introduce them before killing them off was to try to leech off of whatever attachment the reader might have for the JLA characters that they were based on. Yeah, Kirkman even acknowledged that it was kinda cheap, but I can certainly see the reasoning behind it.

Repost of review, with spoilers:

Dread said:
INVINCIBLE #65: "The all new, all awesome" core Kirkman superhero title has certainly sparked it's share of controversy lately.
From people thinking issue sixty was too compressed, to complaining that the fight against Conquest took three issues, to the tease about Atom Eve's death that virtually fooled everyone reading, INVINCIBLE has certainly kicked off it's 5th year with a bang. After quite a few issues of bloodshed and punching, this one is about the aftermath and epilogue, as the cover says. The funeral on the cover is for Rex Splode, who died in issue sixty. Considering he was a long time character, it was a good idea to focus on his death and how the character had moved since his debut.

Mark is laid up in the hospital ROCKY II style as Eve watches over him, and explains what happened. Alluding to her two part mini last year, it seems Conquest nearly killing her removed the "mental block" she has over using her powers to reshape organic material. The downside is that her abilities seem to not be completely under her control; while she's upped her cup size as a result, she also started melting Mark's costume after removing it for a make out session. Mark demands that Cecil show him Conquest's body, but it seems that it was a ruse while Cecil plans to interrogate what is left of Conquest's head. While Mark and Cecil are hardly friends anymore, they've returned to being allies of convenience. Kirkman all but hammers home the point of the saga in a speech Cecil gives about merely ONE Viltrumite doing this much damage to the world and Invincible, their (seemingly) strongest hero. Even the fifty that Nolan claims exists would be a massive problem.

Mark's mom feels guilt over urging her son to be a superhero only to see him occasionally get the stuffing beaten out of him; it was an awkward scene but felt quite real. Although I must say, Eve is quite horny; Mark can barely stand and she's groping him all over. Not that he's resistant at all, but damn, kids, give it a break. For Mark's part, he is still enthused that Eve is even alive; believing that she was dead, of course, gave him the extra edge against Conquest in the end. The issue ends with Angstrom Levy prepping for more plans, a return of the Martian Sequid menace, and Mark vowing to Oliver that he was right; threats of certain nature need to be taken down. It's a bit of a hard line for Mark, but in some ways the past year or so of stories have been about him "growing up" and seeing the world for what it is, in a less naive way, and being bitten by the ugly parts. Given that the world has been destroyed, his girlfriend nearly killed, and even his ally Rex dead in the melee, it makes sense for Mark to feel that way, at least for a while. Even Spider-Man claimed criminals "will get no mercy from Spider-Man" during MAXIMUM CARNAGE, at least for a few issues (before Spidey was telling everyone that Carnage was some sweet misunderstood cherub because he'd been abused as a kid before he decided to murder people by the dozen, but that's Parker for you). Personally I am not against heroes NOT killing under ANY circumstance, so long as they know where that line is, rather than Wolverine or Punisher, who usually kill any creep who steals a purse or wanders into the wrong bar.

Series co-creator Cory Walker is returning to pencil the next two issues, which will star Nolan and Allen. That should be interesting. It will be weird seeing the title without Ottley's pencils for a short while, but Walker as improved quite a bit as an artist in five years, and it will be good seeing him "come home" again (he stopping drawing INVINCIBLE around issue #7 I believe, beyond covers for the trades and the ATOM EVE mini). Ottley's had a uninterrupted run of 58 issues, which is quite lengthy. Hopefully he returns once Walker is finished; I consider him more of INVINCIBLE's artist than Walker.

I have been in the minority and enjoyed the story so far. I loved that issue sixty took a tale that Marvel and DC would bleed into 7-8 books for sheer greed and told it in one oversized one. I liked the epic, godly battle between Mark and Conquest. It would have been a shameless death for Eve to so flat an adversary, but she's not dead, so I accept it. This issue was a good way to take a breath before the next saga.

Kirkman also takes a lot of Eve "death issue" hate mail like a trooper in the letters area.
He gets a bit defensive at some points but it's about twice as long as it usually is. Especially considering Marvel and DC hardly care what fans think and have mostly done away with letters pages for most of their books. I've enjoyed CONQUEST and think INVINCIBLE has quite a few stories coming up that might be good. Sequid Redux may be the weakest link, but Levy is usually always a worthy adversary and it will be good to catch up on the space duo again. After all these years, INVINCIBLE is still one of my favorite books.

The Guardians were based off of the JLA because Kirkman wanted to get readers to care about losing them. The easiest way to do that in the short amount of pages Kirkman had to introduce them before killing them off was to try to leech off of whatever attachment the reader might have for the JLA characters that they were based on. Yeah, Kirkman even acknowledged that it was kinda cheap, but I can certainly see the reasoning behind it.

I guess I can sorta see that, but I guess it didn't have the desired effect on me. I just rolled my eyes at it. I thought it was suppose to be some quasi-symbolic 'out with the old, in with the new' nonsense or something.

Nope, read it again knowing what you know about Kirkman. :)

Yeah I didn't really try to read anything any deeper into the knock-off Justice League other than Kirkman attempting to establish those characters as the main line of defense for this version of Earth. That big reveal happened within the first 7(?) issues of the series. There really would not have been another more affective way to do it without pushing back Omni-Man's betrayal until about issue 15-20, which I feel would've really slowed down the progression of Mark as Invincible.

I know I was affected. I was totally like, "Hell yeah, lesbian Wonder Woman! Finally!!" and went off into my little fantasy world, only to have it crushed by her death.

To Dread's review:

Excuse me Dread, making out? Mark and Eve were doing a HELL OF A LOT MORE THAN MAKING OUT. They got naked and were rounding second base. They were doing or about to do the hibbidy dibbity.

OK regarding Monster Girl, has Robot/nu-Rex been able to fix her condition or is she still contiually de-aging?

I liked the hospital scene with Mark and Eve, and Mark noticed her boobs, and Eve was nice about it. And then they start making out while he's all bandaged up and Mom and her boyfriend walk in while all their saliva is popping out. That sort of stuff was why I got into Invincible.

And then the prelude to the sex scene of course.

True enough. SHH is a family site, though. ;)

My family would say you're a bunch of pansies. :o

And then my parents would go cheat on each other or something. XD!

True enough. SHH is a family site, though. ;)
Yeah, but that means you just don't have to curse, watch certain language, and don't post NSFW pictures. You don't have to lie and say they were having a MAKEOUT session.

OK regarding Monster Girl, has Robot/nu-Rex been able to fix her condition or is she still contiually de-aging?
I think that he basically cured her. He gave her that belt that stores information on her current genetic structure (or some sci-fi jargon) from an instant before each time that she Hulks out, and saves that info for when she turns back into a girl, so that she can resume her age from where she left off before transforming. So yeah, he effectively cured her as far as we can tell for the moment. Of course, we all know that something is probably going to go wrong with that belt and wackiness will ensue.

I think that he basically cured her. He gave her that belt that stores information on her current genetic structure (or some sci-fi jargon) from an instant before each time that she Hulks out, and saves that info for when she turns back into a girl, so that she can resume her age from where she left off before transforming. So yeah, he effectively cured her as far as we can tell for the moment. Of course, we all know that something is probably going to go wrong with that belt and wackiness will ensue.
What does that mean though for her age? Does she basically have to re-start growing up again from where ever she left off?

I also wonder to what extent the damage to Eve's and her powers are.

I guess I can sorta see that, but I guess it didn't have the desired effect on me. I just rolled my eyes at it. I thought it was suppose to be some quasi-symbolic 'out with the old, in with the new' nonsense or something.
I sorta thought it was Kirkman's way of saying. "You like these guys right? Well my one guy is stonger and faster than them all!"

Yeah, that's how I saw it at first too, but in the comments that he makes in the TPB, he explains his thought process on it, and that's pretty much how I've seen the situation ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"