Invincible

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think if you read between the lines that it was more about showing off just how bad ass Nolan could be coz he can kill the JLA in 10 seconds.

Either way personally I think it was just kind of dumb. Definitely didn't make me 'care' for the characters, and feels kind of silly and a bit childish the other way. I'm hoping that kind of deal was a one time thing

Review of this latest issue, with spoilers:

Dread said:
INVINCIBLE #66: After 58 issues of Ryan Ottley "filling in" for him, series co-creator Corey Walker returns to INVINCIBLE to draw this issue and the next, a two part "prelude" to the next arc alongside writer Robert Kirkman. They were recently reunited in Marvel MAX's DESTROYER, and it is good to continue that trend on the title they both created and launched in 2003. To be honest, it is almost strange not seeing Ottley's art anywhere on this title, but I imagine the two month break will be good for him, especially as he'll supposedly be involved with HAUNT, too. To say that Walker's art style has improved since 2003 is an understatement. He was always good, but naturally he is better now than he was six years ago; that's to be expected of most professional artists not named Chris Bachelo. Still, the last INVINCIBLE themed art he did was a Science Dog back-up for issue fifty and covers for ATOM EVE, so this is nice.

This two part story focuses on Allen and Nolan, giving Mark and company a break after fighting CONQUEST. While the cover dress almost is an homage to Marvel's INFINITY WAR style crossovers in the 90's, it really is advancing a story that has been cycling through the book for ages now; the Viltrumite Empire's quest to take over the Earth. Nolan expresses in detail exactly why there are only fifty "pure blood Viltrumites" left in the universe (more like 49 since Conquest bit it; he appears in flashback here), and why some of them bare cybernetic parts (again, like Conquest, or that general dude who hangs around Aynssa). A biological virus created by their enemies wiped out large scores of Viltrumites and those it didn't kill, it weakened for periods of time. This led to the Viltrumites to adopt a more long range goal of taking over the universe, sending only one or two to take over a given planet. As the CONQUEST arc was meant to show, of course, is that even one Viltrumite could ravage a planet easily, no matter how many heroes it had. Nolan also mentions that Earth is of utmost importance as humans are 100% compatable with Viltrumite DNA; i.e. Viltrumites breeding with humans will have offspring of pure blood power, unlike Oliver with the Mantis people. Allen finally gets to reunite with his hot momma of an alien girlfriend and introduces Nolan to his boss of the cosmic anti-Viltrumite alliance, himself an aged Viltrumite. Stocking up on weapons with new costumes and armed with data from Nolan's books (scanned maybe 2-3 years ago, but who is keeping score?), they go off to find the first; the gun from a space hunter called Space Racer. I believe Space Racer was first drawn in the first or second HC, so we're talking back in 2003-2004 or so. At any rate, it seems even buried in rocks for about a century wasn't enough to kill Space Racer, and he's back for blood.

Kirkman seems to be advancing his "Viltrumite War" story, in which Nolan, Mark and their allies have to have a showdown against the Viltrumite empire once and for all. Allen of course is one of the book's standout supporting characters so giving him solo or near solo issues every year or so is always fine. Walker's artwork is fine and as always, Kirkman mixes his talent for huge dumps of exposition with some comedic banter. Abnett & Lanning are a little better at that sort of thing in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, but Kirkman's been at that sort of thing in INVINCIBLE back when they were still fringe novelists. At any rate, another "all awesome" issue and a solid return for the original co-creator. Still, despite his "founding" status, this book still is an Ottley book, much the same way people often feel that Vision or Hawkeye were more long lasting Avengers than founders like Hulk or even Thor. Walker's return is cool but still a bit of a lark, at least until he ever gets around to penciling, gasp, a 12th issue.

There's not a lot of action, but that's fine as the book needs some time to breath after issues 60-64. The story moves forward and shows that this really is a little universe in one title, as the titular hero can take a few issues off and things move smoother than ever. Beyond a few brief mini's to flesh out origins, that is what keeps INVINCIBLE pure; it reminds you of those great old franchises of old, before they really became franchises and got bogged down with about a dozen spin off titles and whatnot. Always a pleasure.

I found Walkers art really distracting in this issue, didnt like it at all

It was probably strange after 58 issues of Ottley. Still, I think he's improved since 2003 as an artist, and probably has a better inking/coloring crew. I didn't mind seeing Walker return. He did co-create Invincible and many of the major characters after all.

Walkers' art was decent. I'm just so used to Ottley now that it does seem weird. I like Nolan and Allen teaming up. Looks to be an enjoyable ride.

It was probably strange after 58 issues of Ottley. Still, I think he's improved since 2003 as an artist, and probably has a better inking/coloring crew. I didn't mind seeing Walker return. He did co-create Invincible and many of the major characters after all.
I agree. It wasn't too bad but after all those issues by Ottley, seeing new art has a sort of jarring effect or something and I can understand being hostile toward it; kinda like seeing it as an intrusion.

Been a while since I posted in this thread, but I'm all caught up. Why is this comic so awesome? I was ready to write some hate mail myself when Eve died but Kirkman fixed that. I was scared half to death that Conquest was gonna kill Oliver too :(

And that Cecil, can't trust him for a second. Good intentions but I think he's allergic to honesty.

I just bought the Ultimate Collection first part that collects 1-13, haven't read it yet, cause I also got a few comics left from this week and trades out the wazoo to catch up on (including Kirkman's other series), but I hope to get around to it soon. :up:

Ultimate Collection 1 was great but it's only got better since. I've been reading Ultimate Collection 4 and I'm half way through now. It rocks!

2vjpdzr.jpg

INVINCIBLE #71
story ROBERT KIRKMAN
art & cover RYAN OTTLEY & FCO PLASCENCIA
MARCH 17
32 PAGES / FC
$2.99
THE VILTRUMITE WAR BEGINS!
The entire series has been leading up to this! The pieces are in place, the time to strike is now! It’s all out war as the Coalition of Planets finally make its move against the Viltrum Empire--with Invincible stuck in the middle. Things will never be the same after this--and this is INVINCIBLE, so you know we mean it.

Nice. I see they've streamlined the costume a bit, getting rid of the knee pads and the fingerless gloves. As much as I was starting to like the new costume, it's good to see the blue-and-yellow come back.

Can't wait for the Viltrumite War to begin.

Why did they change the costume in the first place? And why go back?

Just finished #51... Crazy good series. Allen is my favorite character in a comic right now. This and Astonishing X-Men are the only ongoings I read these days.

zzzzzzzzzzzz.....huh did someone say something? I'm sorry but Invincible has slowed. The first 35-45 issues you just have to tear through. After that Kirkman and the Invincible series seem to have fallen prey to the same fate that so many big titles do. They become too big and too popular for their own good.

There isn't bad filler, but still feels like filler or at least some arcs/stories I don't care for very much. But I am sure it will pick up soon when we get back to the Virltumites. I guess we will wait and see. imho

Last edited:
Anyone know when Ultimate Collection 5 is out in the UK?

Last edited:

I have to admit, I think things look bad for Mark again. I still don't think he is a even match for any of the Viltrumites one on one. He has still been getting his ass handed to him here and there lately. I wonder how long it takes for a viltrumite to fully mature since they live for so long and I wonder if due to his human genome if maybe he just won't be as powerful as a pure viltrumite.

I have to admit, I think things look bad for Mark again. I still don't think he is a even match for any of the Viltrumites one on one. He has still been getting his ass handed to him here and there lately. I wonder how long it takes for a viltrumite to fully mature since they live for so long and I wonder if due to his human genome if maybe he just won't be as powerful as a pure viltrumite.

Its directly stated by Nolan that Mark will be just as powerful as a full blooded Viltrumite. Thats why Earth is such a key target for them because human DNA is fully compatable to Viltrumite DNA, and there for makes Earth a perfect breeding ground, which is basically what they want to use it as to get their population numbers back up.

Its directly stated by Nolan that Mark will be just as powerful as a full blooded Viltrumite. Thats why Earth is such a key target for them because human DNA is fully compatable to Viltrumite DNA, and there for makes Earth a perfect breeding ground, which is basically what they want to use it as to get their population numbers back up.

Touché, completely forgot about that. But just because Nolan (Kirkman) said that, and what will actually happens, it still remains to be seen.

But that still doesn't answer, how long it takes a pure Viltrumite to mature and how long it will take Mark. I mean if they live for thousands of years or more. It's possible that it could take Mark 500 years to reach full maturity and be a dead even match or more so for Viltrumites.

I think Oliver will be more powerful than Mark soon. imho

I think Oliver will be more powerful than Mark soon. imho

idk. He may age a whole lot quicker. And may look older in just a few more months than Mark but i don't think he'll be stronger. Mark has a lot more experience fighting which has resulted in him getting stronger. Remember the more Vitrumites push themselves whether it's fighting or flying or whatever, the stronger they become.

idk. He may age a whole lot quicker. And may look older in just a few more months than Mark but i don't think he'll be stronger. Mark has a lot more experience fighting which has resulted in him getting stronger. Remember the more Vitrumites push themselves whether it's fighting or flying or whatever, the stronger they become.

Yes and Oliver is half Viltrumite, remember Nolan said that Viltrumites genetics/blood is so potent that even with Oliver's race only normally living months he could still live hundreds or thousands of years.

So there is definitely the possibility of Oliver becoming very powerful here very quickly in the next say 20-50 issues or so.

Not that it will happen but since Kirkman clearly does whatever the hell he wants nothing surprises me with him.

Not that it will happen but since Kirkman clearly does whatever the hell he wants nothing surprises me with him.

I think this is pretty much what it comes down to. Because my question would then be 'well when did Mark's aging slow down?' If you assume that he is basically a full blooded Viltrumite, does that mean that his aging decelerated once his powers kicked in when he was 17 or 18? Or was he always a slower/underdeveloped for his age kind of kid since birth? Will he still look like an 18-21 year old when Eve is 40, 50, 60? Or will he age like a normal human to about Nolan's age, and then basically stop for the next 3000 years?

This is what happens when you try to think rationally about comics, and not just enjoy them for what they are. :doh:

I think this is pretty much what it comes down to. Because my question would then be 'well when did Mark's aging slow down?' If you assume that he is basically a full blooded Viltrumite, does that mean that his aging decelerated once his powers kicked in when he was 17 or 18? Or was he always a slower/underdeveloped for his age kind of kid since birth? Will he still look like an 18-21 year old when Eve is 40, 50, 60? Or will he age like a normal human to about Nolan's age, and then basically stop for the next 3000 years?

This is what happens when you try to think rationally about comics, and not just enjoy them for what they are. :doh:

Ummm I see your point, but I am not trying to rationalize that much, Kirkman just hasn't laid it out for us yet. So there really isn't anything to really rationalize. Just pointing out some things.

Ummm I see your point, but I am not trying to rationalize that much, Kirkman just hasn't laid it out for us yet. So there really isn't anything to really rationalize. Just pointing out some things.

Oh yeah man, I get ya, I was just letting my mind wander on a very dull day here at work. No worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"