• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Iron Fist Iron fist Costume thread

And as a result those superheroes look absolutely ridiculous. You could never get away with that level of cheese in the Marvel Netflix shows, the scene we got from K'un-Lun was bad enough.

So basically "those guys did it and it looked bad so we're not even going to bother"?

In fairness, I think your response confirms that what I took from your initial post was correct. Kind of bums me out, I mean I thought that kind of attitude was resigned to the past, but here we have the show-runners and folk like yourself keeping it alive. Shame.

Hell, if they put him in green army pants, shirtless and the tattered yellow mask from the WW1 clips in Season 1 he'd look totally fine

a lot less "cheesy" than, say, a hemp shirt and no shoes

I remember before Spider-man came out almost 20 years ago and it was circling around that a live action version of his costume "wouldn't work" and there were fans on the Coming Attractions message board and a few other comic sites who were already making excuses for it, then the movie came out and they had to shut up.

Truth is, if people can make Spider-man, Superman, Captain America, Thor, Batman and Wonder Woman work, (and they have) then if you can't make something as simple as any of the costume choices for Iron Fist work to adapt for live action, then the problem is you have no creativity for creating movie/TV superehero costumes and you should not be associated with making a superhero film/TV show, you should work on something else.

Last edited:
They did Daredevil and most people love that show and his look. Iron Fist in at least that yellow mask would be totally realistic considering it had ties to his training and origin.

I remember before Spider-man came out almost 20 years ago and it was circling around that a live action version of his costume "wouldn't work" and there were fans on the coming Attractions message board and a few other comic sites who were already making excuses for it, then the movie came out and they shut up.

Truth is, if people can make Spider-man, Superman, Captain America, Thor, Batman and Wonder Woman work, (and they have) then if you can't make something as simple as any of the choices for Iron fist work to adapt for live action, then the problem is you have no creativity for creating movie/TV superehero costumes and you should not be associated with making a superhero film/TV show, work on something else.

Exactly. Back in the day there was a 'it would look hokey on screen so why even bother' attitude and even a staunch traditionalist like Alex Ross could only envisage basically what was an all black costume with a spider motif as a viable Spidey movie costume; luckily his submission was rejected, they went with something comic-book accurate and the rest, as they say, is history. But it has taken a looooooong time for it to be generally accepted that comic-book accurate can work [hell, look at the X films] but yet here we are, someone telling us again that it couldn't work. I'd hoped that **** had been consigned to the past.

People say it wont work for whatever reason but I just see that as a convenient excuse to hide either laziness or a lack of imagination [or both]. Obviously, there are certain aspects of some comic book costumes that would look strange if they were realized to the letter, but very rarely is anyone asking for an exact translation - just a half decent attempt to give us something approximating the costume that we see in the comics every month.

It's disappointing but that's how they are approaching these shows, and it's not changing anytime soon.

Daredevil-Seaosn-3-NYCC-Poster.jpg

Koto-Defenders-Iron-Fist-Statue-010.jpg

Come on already, Netflix.

Crazy when you see the two outfits side by side like that - Matt's black one is nigh on identical - how hard would it be for them to give Danny his?

They are not interested in giving him one. If they get rid of Scott Buck (who made all kinds of excuses why he couldn't have one) and then now they can't have one in season 2, then what are the chances of ever having that?

And in Season 3,

when Colleen is now the Iron Fist, and who knows what Danny is from the ending, it seems almost zero chance of that now

Crazy when you see the two outfits side by side like that - Matt's black one is nigh on identical - how hard would it be for them to give Danny his?

I mean, I guess the one thing that could cause an issue are the eyes and sculpting the nose, with DD's black mask, it's literally just a bandana over his face
The masks in IF S2 looked a bit iffy in the nose and eyes area
The mask looked good in the quick flashback in Season 1, but that may be because we only saw glimpses and from certain, more flattering angles.

That said, figure it the hell out, Marvel

Look, it's black-costumed Iron Fist:

DobQptEXsAAaHkp.jpg:orig

They can't even manage something as simple as Matt Murdock's proto-DD suit on Iron Fist.

How about trying something easier and even just aiming for something like this: Jessica Jones's headscarf:

MV5BNzMyNjE1MDkwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzMyNzA5MjI_._V1_SY1000_CR0_0_1499_1000_AL_.0.jpg

Get Danny to wrap a yellow scarf around his head. Or is that even too difficult?

well apparently even getting Mike Colter to wear a yellow t-shirt and jeans is too hard

Getting Mike Colter even to do fight scenes is hard, by all accounts. Seem to recall that it was reported that one of the conditions for him taking the role was that they minimized the fight scenes, as he didn't like doing them? [no wonder he looks awkward in them]. At that stage, if I was in charge of casting I would have just said ''ok then, thanks for your time - NEXT!''

Getting Mike Colter even to do fight scenes is hard, by all accounts. Seem to recall that it was reported that one of the conditions for him taking the role was that they minimized the fight scenes, as he didn't like doing them? [no wonder he looks awkward in them]. At that stage, if I was in charge of casting I would have just said ''ok then, thanks for your time - NEXT!''
Really? What a weird thing to come from an actor playing someone like Luke Cage.

Exactamundo.

Somewhere in an alternate universe there is a Heroes for Hire TV show where the guy playing Luke Cage is an actor who enjoys doing action scenes, the guy playing Danny Rand is also a competent martial artist and both of them wear costumes.

Exactamundo.

Somewhere in an alternate universe there is a Heroes for Hire TV show where the guy playing Luke Cage is an actor who enjoys doing action scenes, the guy playing Danny Rand is also a competent martial artist and both of them wear costumes.
Pretty hard to watch a Danny Rand who struggles to put 2 moves together. :dry:

Exactamundo.

And there's also a Medusa who has long hair and uses it or a Karnak who doesn't have a head injury to prevent him using his powers. :o

And there's also a Medusa who has long hair and uses it or a Karnak who doesn't have a head injury to prevent him using his powers. :o
A Medusa with long hair? Now we really are asking too much!

I've never seen this report before. Do you have a link?

Funnily enough, after I posted that the other day I figured that someone would ask for a link, so I went looking and for the life of me, couldnt find one. But it was definately reported as I remember reading it.

I'll go have another search.

I've never seen this report before. Do you have a link?

I've never seen this stated specifically, but I do remember watching an interview with Colter on the Audience channel and during the interview he talked about liking roles that go against type. That's why he has had roles as lawyers and such, parts that don't play up his physicality. Based on that interview I could see him wanting to focus less on the action.

I am willing to bet that in season 3 Randall will bequeath his comic accurate costume to Danny.

Gosh, one can hope, right?

That would not assure Danny would wear it... :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"