The Amazing Spider-Man Is Spidey a Jerk?

Spider-Aziz

Dummy Dragon Holo
Reaction score
People look at the way Spider-Man deals with the car thief here and call him a jerk.

[YT]nURhc_maQFg[/YT]

He's even considered an unlikable jerk for the way he talks to the cop.

Please explain how this moment helps you consider this version of Spider-Man a jerk.
And remember Amazing Spider-Man issue 122, from The Death of Gwen Stacy, how he threw the hot headed cop on the rational cop once the latter heard him say "Gwen is dead, and Spider-Man killed her" and the cop reacted to that by calmly telling Spidey to come with them to answer a few questions.

He also webbed the mouth of J. Jonah Jameson in that same issue, that qualifies as him being a jerk, don't you agree?

Spider -- You're like a ghost roaming around these dead threads. :o

1. The jokes are (for the most part) not funny. They just make Spidey come off as rather dickish.

2. It's excessive. Yeah, you've caught him Spidey...you can stop torturing the guy with your webbing now.

3. For all Spidey knew, that might have been Uncle Ben's killer. So he just gave a stand-up routine to the guy who may or may not have murdered the closest thing to a father he's ever had...:dry:

No. And while ASM2 was indeed a pretty crappy movie, this movie is extremely underrated.

1. The jokes are (for the most part) not funny. They just make Spidey come off as rather dickish.

2. It's excessive. Yeah, you've caught him Spidey...you can stop torturing the guy with your webbing now.

3. For all Spidey knew, that might have been Uncle Ben's killer. So he just gave a stand-up routine to the guy who may or may not have murdered the closest thing to a father he's ever had...:dry:

Agreed. Point 3 very good one. Garfield version is worst Spider-Man.

Spider-Man has always been kinda of a witty jerk, depends of the situation, you see this a lot in the comics.

His way to hit a nerve, and take advantage of it.

So yeah, I agree. Nice post, Aziz :up:

Still a jerk.

Joker, I greatly respect many of your opinions on the Spidey films as a whole, but am rather curious how you arrived at this conclusion.

I understand, his jokes aren't funny, he's not super kind to his "parents" (like most stressed teenagers from time to time), etc. etc. and the broken promise to Captain Stacy may be what is triggering this...

Any particular reasons other than the promise? That's the only legit one I can see.

Let's see.
He takes someone else's id to get into OsCorp. He then sneaks into a restricted area.
He takes credit for his father's "decay rate algorithm".
Oh yeah and he breaks a promise to Gwen's dad.

He keep hurting Gwen by breaking up and getting back with her. She say she sick of it and she end it with him.

Let's see.
He takes someone else's id to get into OsCorp. He then sneaks into a restricted area.

Don't see how that makes him a jerk, just makes him sneaky.

He takes credit for his father's "decay rate algorithm".

What's he going to do? Tell Curt that it was his Dad's algorithm and trigger Curt? Keep in mind Curt said he was angry when Richard unexpectedly left. Probably doesn't hold him in such high regard.

Oh yeah and he breaks a promise to Gwen's dad.

This point has been made to death. :doh:

Both Peter and Gwen were in the wrong. Peter broke the promise to Gwen's dad to make Gwen happy but by doing so, he was going against Cap. Stacy's orders. Gwen knows about Peter's promise to her father but doesn't care because it's not her father's choice and she loves Peter. Seriously, remove the superhero aspect and you'd have a realistic relationship for once in one of these movies.

"It's my father, isn't it?"

"Yeah. I see him everywhere I go. I can't... I don't know what to do. And I can't get him out of my head."

"Yeah, but we've talked about this."

"I know, but, Gwen..."

"It's not his choice."

"Gwen. I promised him that I would keep away from you. Now I'm gonna come and eat dinner with your family. How can I do this? What does this make me?"

"I thought that it meant you loved me."

"I do love you. I love you."

"Then why isn't that enough? Huh?"

"What if something happens to you just like it happened to him because of me?"

"Listen to me. You're Spider-Man...and I love that but I love Peter Parker more. That's worth it to me."

"I can't lose you too."

"If because you can't lose me, we can't be together, who does that work out for, Peter?"

"I can't. I'm sorry, Gwen."

"Wow. You have done this to me again and again, Peter. I can't live like this.
I break up with you. I break up with you."
Neither one of 'em are right and that's what makes their relationship so endearing. Add in the fact that all of that dialogue is the conflicting element within the film between the two characters and that it ultimately decides the fate of Gwen (whom is still not responsible for her own death, by the way. That would be Peter through and through just like the original death of Gwen).

Peter tries to stay away from her but they keep running into each other, that's it. Only time Peter purposely checked in on her was as Spider-Man or when she asked to see him to try to establish ground rules. Oscorp? Peter was visiting Harry and Gwen was looking in on the Max situation.

He keep hurting Gwen by breaking up and getting back with her. She say she sick of it and she end it with him.

Please refer to the post above. :cwink:

Don't see how that makes him a jerk, just makes him sneaky.

Stealing someone else pass and getting them kicked out is a jerk thing to do.

What's he going to do? Tell Curt that it was his Dad's algorithm and trigger Curt? Keep in mind Curt said he was angry when Richard unexpectedly left. Probably doesn't hold him in such high regard.

He should have told Curt. They never say Curt was angry at Peter father. You make that up.

This point has been made to death. :doh:

Both Peter and Gwen were in the wrong. Peter broke the promise to Gwen's dad to make Gwen happy but by doing so, he was going against Cap. Stacy's orders. Gwen knows about Peter's promise to her father but doesn't care because it's not her father's choice and she loves Peter. Seriously, remove the superhero aspect and you'd have a realistic relationship for once in one of these movies.

"It's my father, isn't it?"

"Yeah. I see him everywhere I go. I can't... I don't know what to do. And I can't get him out of my head."

"Yeah, but we've talked about this."

"I know, but, Gwen..."

"It's not his choice."

"Gwen. I promised him that I would keep away from you. Now I'm gonna come and eat dinner with your family. How can I do this? What does this make me?"

"I thought that it meant you loved me."

"I do love you. I love you."

"Then why isn't that enough? Huh?"

"What if something happens to you just like it happened to him because of me?"

"Listen to me. You're Spider-Man...and I love that but I love Peter Parker more. That's worth it to me."

"I can't lose you too."

"If because you can't lose me, we can't be together, who does that work out for, Peter?"

"I can't. I'm sorry, Gwen."

"Wow. You have done this to me again and again, Peter. I can't live like this.
I break up with you. I break up with you."
Neither one of 'em are right and that's what makes their relationship so endearing. Add in the fact that all of that dialogue is the conflicting element within the film between the two characters and that it ultimately decides the fate of Gwen (whom is still not responsible for her own death, by the way. That would be Peter through and through just like the original death of Gwen).

Peter tries to stay away from her but they keep running into each other, that's it. Only time Peter purposely checked in on her was as Spider-Man or when she asked to see him to try to establish ground rules. Oscorp? Peter was visiting Harry and Gwen was looking in on the Max situation.

That not make what Peter did ok. He broke promise he made to dying man. Then he say it best kind of promise to break and smile. Then he keep getting with Gwen and breaking up until she so sick of being hurt like that she break up with him. Then he turn into stalker and follow her around the city.

Jerk and creepy stalker guy lol.

Please refer to the post above. :cwink:

Your post is wrong lol.

The more I look at it, the more I see this version as the everyday jerk (we all have our jerkish moments, even if unintentionally).
One of my brothers complains that this version is rude, and then he has moments being worse than Peter crying at his scolding uncle asking where his father is.

I think some considered him a jerk for not looking for the man who shot his uncle, I think it was fine that he stopped looking, Manhattan is a big and highly populated peninsula, and it's easy to lose yourself in the crowd.
Any particular reasons other than the promise? That's the only legit one I can see.
He kept the promise actually, he kept Gwen out of his adventures, the promise wasn't to stay away from her.

Promise was to stay away from her. That why he break up with her after, and then break promise by being with her again and say those best sort of promise to break.

Yeah, I think the "Don't make promises you can't keep." and "But those are the best kind" lines kind of indicated that he was definitely stepping on Capt. Stacy's grave with that relationship.

I think they almost intended it to be a happy moment, and I can see why/how but it obviously came off as d-ckish and intentionally deceptive and immature to most.

He understood it that way, but it's not the promise George made him make.
Shortly before going to help Peter against The Lizard, he told Gwen to stay away from the site of trouble and went there himself...
He kept... Gwen.... out of it.

The more I look at it, the more I see this version as the everyday jerk (we all have our jerkish moments, even if unintentionally).

When we see Peter as a teen or an early 20-something in any form of media, he's usually an immature hothead. His heroism coexists with deficient relationship skills. His intelligence coexists with a degree of aloofness. His flaws make him a well-rounded character.

When we see Peter as a teen or an early 20-something in any form of media, he's usually an immature hothead. His heroism coexists with deficient relationship skills. His intelligence coexists with a degree of aloofness. His flaws make him a well-rounded character.

:up:

:up: :up:

I really dislike how breaking the promise became the driving force of the story in TASM2. It was more prominent that Uncle Ben's lesson on responsibility.

All of this could have been avoided if they stuck to the source material and had Captain Stacy ask Peter to keep Gwen safe.

He's supposed to be a jerk in that scene. In The Amazing Spider-Man, Peter doesn't learn that with great power comes great responsibility when Uncle Ben is killed, he only learns after he saves the city for the first time.

The real turning point for Peter in the film is when he saves the kid on the bridge. This is the moment he starts acting altruistic as he starts realising how important he can be. Remember, in the previous scene Captain Stacey tells him off for think Spidey is a hero since he is has personal vendetta. And in the scene following the rescue, he stares into his mask, clearing wondering about who he really is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"