It's a Bird! It's a Plane! David Corenswet IS Superman!

When I say I want him embracing his inner dork, I'm not asking for a Reeve impression. Safe to assume I'm NEVER asking for a Reeve impression, for the record. I don't care for Reeve's Clark as I think I've made quite clear here over the years. Hoechlin's Clark Kent is perfectly dorky, and it feels 100% natural and not overdone at all. Just makes him feel more like a real person. Yes, any kind of personality like this at all may be stretch for Cavill, but it's also kinda the bare minimum the role requires, imo. Clark Kent is a dork, period. The one in STAS was too, just more of a "dad humor" dork like Hoechlin, which is great. But that dorkiness is one of Clark's most defining character traits, in any incarnation. You don't have that, you don't have the character, as far as I'm concerned.

The contrast/duality doesn't need to be a stark difference. The dude is just naturally a dork who reins it in more (but not entirely) when he's in the cape. It shouldn't be THAT hard, but Cavill IS extremely limited as a performer, so who knows. All I know is, if he's ever gonna work for me as Supes, that aspect is an absolute necessity.

I don’t want that either. IMO, there should be subtle, but noticeable differences between Clark and Superman; and like I said before, I don’t trust Cavill to pull that off successfully. In fact, he might even be someone who’d benefit from exaggerated differences between the identities.

Last edited:
Reading his recent comments, I feel Cavill's leaping into this one pretty determined to get results and aware of what didn't work in past movies. Probably aware of the praise that guys like Chris Evans, Hemsworth and Hoechlin get, too, and eager to get some of that for his own performance.

I don't think he's very funny -- in the way that even Routh, in all his greenness and crap script, was able to be as Clark -- but I think a good director may help him tap into his dork-ness and make a more endearing Clark out of that. No one thought Bautista was much of an actor before GOTG, did they :o

I wanna see Clark on the farm. The real Clark and not the dorky persona he shows to the public.
In a t shirt, jeans and work boots.
Show him casually lift a tractor to change a tire.
Show him fly up and hover while he repairs the roof.
The farm keeps him grounded. He does it because he loves it, and not because he has too.

In contrast we should also see the nerdy news reporter Clark, and of course superman.
So there are actually 3 persona's to him.
The real Clark, the nerdy Clark, and superman.

I think the real Clark and the Daily Planet Clark can be one and the same just without the powers. Daily Planet Clark doesn’t have to be a nerd or a dork.

Robbing Clark of his personality is how we got a whole new generation of the “he’s so boring” camp. No thanks to more of Generic Serious Square-Jawed Hero #725 pls.

I think it's cause Cavill may be incapable of playing that kind of role.

A good director can make any actor work. Not that I care for Sandler in Uncut Gems but a lot of people think he can act, Arnold Schwarzenegger obviously has charisma but people wouldn't say he is a great actor but James Cameron knew how to use him in T1-T2.

A good director can make any actor work. Not that I care for Sandler in Uncut Gems but a lot of people think he can act, Arnold Schwarzenegger obviously has charisma but people wouldn't say he is a great actor but James Cameron knew how to use him in T1-T2.

You can’t make someone talented. You can push and push and push and work around their limitations as much as you can, but if they don’t have it, there’s nothing you can do.

You can’t make someone talented. You can push and push and push and work around their limitations as much as you can, but if they don’t have it, there’s nothing you can do.
But they can use the abilities of that actor to get the best out of them, work within the strengths of that actor... And yeh Sam Worthington isn't a good example unfortunately so that kinda messes with my idea.

I have come around and don't disagree but do you have any examples for me? Sam Worthington already acknowledge
I just recently rewatched Dracula. Even a great director like Coppola couldn’t make Keanu work in that role. And I don’t even consider Keanu a bad actor. Some people just can’t fit certain roles, period.

I just recently rewatched Dracula. Even a great director like Coppola couldn’t make Keanu work in that role. And I don’t even consider Keanu a bad actor. Some people just can’t fit certain roles, period.

Yeah no ****. I wonder if it was the same sort of case with Worthington, director at the time sees a hot upcoming actor thinks he is able to get good work out of them.

I have to admit, the main reason I can’t get excited about Avatar 2 is Sam Worthington. No amount of pretty CGI is going to make that guy charismatic.

Ugh, couldn’t they just recast? The only way people would have noticed is if the new actor’s accent isn’t constantly slipping.

I think… The implausibility of the physical disguise creates a natural (and unresolvable?) conflict in terms of the characterization of CK vs. Superman.

On the one hand, Christopher Reeve was justly praised for his starkly different portrayals — such that, you could almost believe the two personas were two separate people. Consequently, the eyeglasses were just a small part of a much more immersive (and effective) disguise. The downside to this approach, however, is that Clark ended up being a hapless, comedic figure. And many fans would claim that the dorky/goofy interpretation is canonically incorrect — especially as CK is supposed to be an accomplished investigative journalist, second only to Lois Lane.

On the other hand, making Clark more serious/realistic and less clownish, reduces the difference between CK and Supes. And it puts the onus back onto the physical disguise (essentially, the eyeglasses) as the place we hang our willing suspension of disbelief. Thus, we get portrayals like George Reeves, Dean Cain and Tyler Hoechlin, wherein there’s little distinction between the alter egos, apart from costume.

The Snyder films, arguably, addressed the problem by avoiding it. I.e., the implausibility of the disguise was almost irrelevant because there were virtually no characters who interacted with both CK and Supes. For example, Perry White (as far as we could tell) never met Superman; there was no Jimmy Olsen; and Lois, of course, already knew about the secret identities.

Now, if this alleged soft reboot is to be more “traditional,” I suppose we might see some amalgam/compromise of the above… :shrug:

I have to admit, the main reason I can’t get excited about Avatar 2 is Sam Worthington. No amount of pretty CGI is going to make that guy charismatic.

Ugh, couldn’t they just recast? The only way people would have noticed is if the new actor’s accent isn’t constantly slipping.
Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, can scream and yell like sam...

I think… The implausibility of the physical disguise creates a natural (and unresolvable?) conflict in terms of the characterization of CK vs. Superman.

On the one hand, Christopher Reeve was justly praised for his starkly different portrayals — such that, you could almost believe the two personas were two separate people. Consequently, the eyeglasses were just a small part of a much more immersive (and effective) disguise. The downside to this approach, however, is that Clark ended up being a hapless, comedic figure. And many fans would claim that the dorky/goofy interpretation is canonically incorrect — especially as CK is supposed to be an accomplished investigative journalist, second only to Lois Lane.

On the other hand, making Clark more serious/realistic and less clownish, reduces the difference between CK and Supes. And it puts the onus back onto the physical disguise (essentially, the eyeglasses) as the place we hang our willing suspension of disbelief. Thus, we get portrayals like George Reeves, Dean Cain and Tyler Hoechlin, wherein there’s little distinction between the alter egos, apart from costume.

The Snyder films, arguably, addressed the problem by avoiding it. I.e., the implausibility of the disguise was almost irrelevant because there were virtually no characters who interacted with both CK and Supes. For example, Perry White (as far as we could tell) never met Superman; there was no Jimmy Olsen; and Lois, of course, already knew about the secret identities.

Now, if this alleged soft reboot is to be more “traditional,” I suppose we might see some amalgam/compromise of the above… :shrug:

This is one of those things that’s very easy to overthink. While I personally would rely on more than just a pair of glasses and a slouch to conceal myself, there’s validity in hiding in plain sight. Most importantly: no one should suspect Superman of having a secret identity in the first place. There are probably white dudes all over the DCU getting extra attention because they “look just like Superman!”

Eventually, though, the characters that interact with Clark and Superman should be in on the secret before too long. It’s hard to ignore otherwise.

Yeah the only people likely to put it together are people who interact with both personas regularly, and statistically speaking, that’s just not likely to be more than Lois, Jimmy, and maaaybe Perry. To everyone else, Superman is a flying god celebrity, and if they ever meet Clark Kent, he’s just a plain ol’ guy who resembles that celebrity.

This is one of those things that’s very easy to overthink. While I personally would rely on more than just a pair of glasses and a slouch to conceal myself, there’s validity in hiding in plain sight. Most importantly: no one should suspect Superman of having a secret identity in the first place. There are probably white dudes all over the DCU getting extra attention because they “look just like Superman!”

Eventually, though, the characters that interact with Clark and Superman should be in on the secret before too long. It’s hard to ignore otherwise.
TikTok model played by David Corenswet is targeted by Intergang cause he suspiciously looks like Superman. :o

Clark and Lois are sitting at a bar when it's announced they are going to be playing a Superman lookalike competition. Clark immediately hangs his head low as people go to the stage, he is then dragged onto the stage by a drunken stranger.

Next to him are men that all look different except they are just your obvious hunky muscular men, some have no hair, some are really jacked, some look more like Bautista than Superman... Anyway some hunky fireman wins and Clark goes unrecognised.

While a playful moment, we see that people moreso have an idea as to what Superman should look like rather than actually knowing exactly how he looks.

Clark and Lois are sitting at a bar when it's announced they are going to be playing a Superman lookalike competition. Clark immediately hangs his head low as people go to the stage, he is then dragged onto the stage by a drunken stranger.

Next to him are men that all look different except they are just your obvious hunky muscular men, some have no hair, some are really jacked, some look more like Bautista than Superman... Anyway some hunky fireman wins and Clark goes unrecognised.

While a playful moment, we see that people moreso have an idea as to what Superman should look like rather than actually knowing exactly how he looks.

Love this idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Bren
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"