• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Our "Space Princess": David Corenswet IS Clark Kent/Superman!

The guys a good actor.
He's gone from playing one of the Manson followers in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood to playing the King of Rock And Roll in one of WB's massive tentpoles.

He'll get a ton of exposure from Elvis , though he isn't a household name at this point.
I gotta think WB will consider him for a part in at least one of their DC projects in development.

I wish I could think of an actor that had a stockier frame. Someone with more of a strongman type of physique. The thing with Elordi and Butler is you're not gonna be able to pack that much more muscle mass onto their frames, so they'd each give you more of a slender Superman.

Butler wouldn't be as yoked as Cavill and he wouldn't be 6'3 or 6'4 as alot of fans would prefer.

But he would be more of a WB type of outside the box pick, and if the reboot is meant to be more of an awards contender , as the rumors claim, they'll likely lean more into finding someone who can act well and bulk up first and foremost, as opposed to finding someone who fits the comics look to a T.

But i'm just speculating .

If we're going for a younger, different stroke approach to the character, let's get an actor that can himbo our boi up a bit for his early days (or last days of innocence :o)

Hard pass to Austin Butler. Guy doesn’t have the face for Elvis, let alone Superman. He’s perfect for playing creepers and villains, but that’s it, imo.

I dunno about not having the face for Elvis thing.

He's not a doppleganger, but given how Presley looked during the Sun record years , he looks pretty good to me .

I actually have an easier time buying him as a young Elvis than as Superman.

noxSquare.jpg

5f8461dae62b1.image.jpg

http%3A%2F%2Frockhurstauctions.com%2FItemImages%2F000005%2F5084a_med.jpeg

austin-butler-as-elvis-presley-embed_1649224897285_1649224902729.webp

elvis-presley-1956_u-L-PJUH2B0.jpg

I dunno about not having the face for Elvis thing.

He's not a doppleganger, but given how Presley looked during the Sun record years , he looks pretty good to me .

I actually have an easier time buying him as a young Elvis than as Superman.

noxSquare.jpg

5f8461dae62b1.image.jpg

http%3A%2F%2Frockhurstauctions.com%2FItemImages%2F000005%2F5084a_med.jpeg

austin-butler-as-elvis-presley-embed_1649224897285_1649224902729.webp

elvis-presley-1956_u-L-PJUH2B0.jpg
I mean, he looks like Elvis: The Serial Killer Version to me, but to each their own. I think he’s a great pick for certain roles though, like Feyd in Dune, if he’s indeed playing that. And there’s probably a few Superman villains he could play too. Just not Big Blue himself. Not even close, imo.

In all honesty, given WB history of casting against type, to fan ire, and combined with the buzz he's getting for Elvis, I wouldn't be shocked if Austin Butler ends up on their radar.

He's 30 and he's heading one of their flagship films and awards contender films in Elvis, so you gotta think the studio is gonna consider him for several future projects.

He doesn't fit the typical fan choice for an actor to play Superman, but he does fit in the Pattinson, type of WB casting of a dark horse who isn't on people's radars, but is a good actor.

Elvis-movie-austin-butler-2864698.jpg

Now I'm talking here about what a potential filmmaker and WB may want, not what fandom would prefer and expect in a Superman casting.

Funny enough, I was thinking of Austin Butler as a possibility yesterday while I was on my shift! He's definitely not the sort of choice that the majority of fans would lean towards, but like you said, he'd fit into that Rob Pattinson or Heath Ledger type of casting. Especially if Elvis ends up being a massive success.

Like you said, WB have a tendency to try and hold onto talent within their projects. It's a big reason for why I still think Shaka King has a strong chance at landing the director's chair for the film, given the success he had with the studio last year with Judas and the Black Messiah.

The only reason I can think of for why he wouldn't be in consideration for the role as far as the studio and creative team are concerned would be if the initial reports of the creative team being dedicated to casting a Black actor for the role are still accurate.

I mean, he looks like Elvis: The Serial Killer Version to me, but to each their own. I think he’s a great pick for certain roles though, like Feyd in Dune, if he’s indeed playing that. And there’s probably a few Superman villains he could play too. Just not Big Blue himself. Not even close, imo.

He's also got charm from what I've seen in the trailer.
As a big Elvis fan, especially the pre Army Elvis , he seems a very good fit to me ,and the word is he's pretty good in the part.
The guy screams early Elvis to me but, as you said, to each is own

The guy is gonna be touted by WB big time , and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on their radar for at least one of their CBM properties.

I'm not saying he's gonna get the Superman role by any means, but I wouldn't be surprised if his name came up .

He wouldn't be my first go to choice for a Superhero role, but then again, I didn't think Craig was the right choice to play Bond based on his looks and prior roles, I didn't think Pattinson was a no brainer to play Batman, I didn't think Hoechlin of Teen Wolf and Dean Cain of 90210 would be the right choice for Superman, and so on and so forth.

He's also got charm from what I've seen in the trailer.
As a big Elvis fan, especially the pre Army Elvis , he seems a very good fit to me ,and the word is he's pretty good in the part.
The guy screams early Elvis to me but, as you said, to each is own

The guy is gonna be touted by WB big time , and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on their radar for at least one of their CBM properties.

I'm not saying he's gonna get the Superman role by any means, but I wouldn't be surprised if his name came up .

He wouldn't be my first go to choice for a Superhero role, but then again, I didn't think Craig was the right choice to play Bond based on his looks and prior roles, I didn't think Pattinson was a no brainer to play Batman, I didn't think Hoechlin of Teen Wolf and Dean Cain of 90210 would be the right choice for Superman, and so on and so forth.
See, I was 100% Team Craig, Team Pattinson and Team Hoechlin from the start, but I could just never get on board with Team Butler, ever. I don’t want to be creeped out by Supes, and that’s all Butler ever does, imo. He just has entirely the wrong screen presence for a role as warm and wholesome as Clark Kent to me.

I feel very similarly about Elordi, tbh. He’s just…not the guy at all, imo.

Austin Stowell on the previous page has potential though. I haven’t seen enough of his work but he has been at least decent in what I have seen him in. Still have yet to see a white Supes candidate that comes even close to being as perfect for the role as David Corenswet is to me, though.

See, I was 100% Team Craig, Team Pattinson and Team Hoechlin from the start, but I could just never get on board with Team Butler, ever. I don’t want to be creeped out by Supes, and that’s all Butler ever does, imo. He just has entirely the wrong screen presence for a role as warm and wholesome as Clark Kent to me.

The guy is a good actor.

If he can pull off a creep well, that also means he's probably capable of pulling off a warm, charming ,Clark Kent too.

You may not be convinced , which I can get, but the vast majority of the public doesn't know who the guy is , and my guess is that he's gonna be able to charm them enough without them feeling he's a creep.

I've already seen it in people who've seen the trailer and are intrigued by him and who don't consider him creepy.

I get that he isn't what most fans would expect in terms of playing Superman.
I've been around long enough to see that fans reaction most of the time is "No" to eventual castings of most of these higher profile characters whether it be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman.

I expect it, frankly , to be "no " from fandom , with whoever is chosen for the Superman reboot ,since, that's usually how fandom reacts to most high profile superhero castings.
The filmmakers and fans tend to be on totally different wavelengths.

Austin wouldn't be what most fans expect in terms of who they feel should play in these roles, but what fans feel tends to be the polar opposite of what a filmmaker, screenwriter, or the producers want in the part.

If Austin got the part, and that's a big if, I would give him a chance to prove himself.

The guy is a good actor.

If he can pull off a creep well, that also means he's probably capable of pulling off a warm, charming ,Clark Kent too.

You may not be convinced , which I can get, but the vast majority of the public doesn't know who the guy is , and my guess is that he's gonna be able to charm them enough without them feeling he's a creep.

I've already seen it in people who've seen the trailer and are intrigued by him and who don't consider him creepy.

I've been around long enough to see that fans reaction most of the time is "No" to eventual castings of most of these higher profile characters whether it be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman.

I expect it, frankly , to be "no " from fandom , with whoever is chosen for the Superman reboot ,since, that's usually how fandom reacts to most high profile superhero castings.

Austin wouldn't be what most fans expect in terms of who they feel should play in these roles, but what fans feel tends to be the polar opposite of what a filmmaker, screenwriter, or the producers want in the part.

If Austin got the part, and that's a big if, I would give him a chance to prove himself.
Agree to disagree. :)

Yeah, Butler creeped me out in OUATIH but that’s because he was supposed to creep me out there. I don’t get creepy vibes from him otherwise.

That’s all well and good, but OUATIH ain’t the only thing I’ve seen him in, lol. He’ll never be leading man material to me, tbh. Unless that leading man is a dark and twisted character, of course.

The guy is a good actor.

It also doesn't help that, no matter who ends up being cast as the next Superman, there will be a backlash directly from the camp that still want Henry Cavill to come back.

Obviously casting backlash is par for the course with these high profile CBM roles, but I do think Cavill's presence as that guy who clearly still wants to come back but is out of a job now will play a factor whenever the new guy is selected.

tbh I feel like Austin Butler would fit a Metallo that was meant to mirror the perception of Superman. Thinking back to that "leak" about the government hating Superman, I think Butler would be an interesting fit for a Metallo / "super solider" that's a response to Superman. A literal puppet of the government/military that's initially commercialized in response to Superman's popularity as a champion of the oppressed. I hope it doesn't come across as cruel, but as demonstrated from his past work Butler comes across as an individual that's perfectly capable of being proudly insidious while still maintaining charisma. A super solider that it a militaristic zealot that's forced into the nation's face.

I know what I'm describing is also the relationship between Sam Wilson's Cap and U.S. Agent, but I think there's enough operating room to apply that dynamic here and apply a bit more commentary and theatricality. Butler can be a literal homegrown proud boy chosen and supported by the government war machine and it's wide reaching arms into pop culture/day-to-day life while he contrasts an alien serving the oppressed.:yay:

Putting the Butler option aside, we're still assuming that Superman is going to be White, when the recent descriptions point to the casting being open to a variety of racial groups.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they still end up casting a Black actor as Clark .

I believe they are absolutely going to cast a POC for Clark, and the writing has been on the wall for a while.

(Pitting Austin Butler's Metallo/villain against a POC Clark would add to the deliciousness of that story & commentary)

Putting the Butler option aside, we're still assuming that Superman is going to be White, when the recent descriptions point to the casting being open to a variety of racial groups.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they still end up casting a Black actor as Clark .

If you’d asked me a month ago, I would have been convinced that the next Superman actor would be Black. After all, the last big report we got in May 2021 from THR noted that Abrams and Coates were “committed” to bringing a Black Superman to life.

Then around that same time, MBJ’s Val Zod series was announced. And more recently there’s all of that talk about how the script has been supposedly reworked to where it’s theoretically possible for Cavill to reprise the role.

We obviously don’t know for a fact yet how true that is, but if so, I’m guessing Abrams and Coates probably got spooked from the backlash and the announcement of what can easily be seen as a competing “Black Superman” project and opted to scale back to an open casting call instead.

I won’t be surprised if they cast a POC actor. And it wouldn’t bother me personally. It’d make a lot of sense, especially if they are doing an open casting for the role.

But I’m starting to think they might stick with a Caucasian actor for Superman, especially if the rumors about using Clark’s Kryptonian heritage as a metaphor for racism is legit. That detail and how Superman benefits in story from white privilege due to his skin color is very much at the crux of Clark’s character arc from Smashes the Klan, which bears a lot of resemblance to those rumored details.

That said, if we are still on track for a POC actor to star as Superman, I still really like Rene Jean Page for the role personally.

images

If you’d asked me a month ago, I would have been convinced that the next Superman actor would be Black. After all, the last big report we got in May 2021 from THR noted that Abrams and Coates were “committed” to bringing a Black Superman to life.

Then around that same time, MBJ’s Val Zod series was announced. And more recently there’s all of that talk about how the script has been supposedly reworked to where it’s theoretically possible for Cavill to reprise the role.

We obviously don’t know for a fact yet how true that is, but if so, I’m guessing Abrams and Coates probably got spooked from the backlash and the announcement of what can easily be seen as a competing “Black Superman” project and opted to scale back to an open casting call instead.

I won’t be surprised if they cast a POC actor. And it wouldn’t bother me personally. It’d make a lot of sense, especially if they are doing an open casting for the role.

But I’m starting to think they might stick with a Caucasian actor for Superman, especially if the rumors about using Clark’s Kryptonian heritage as a metaphor for racism is legit. That detail and how Superman benefits in story from white privilege due to his skin color is very much at the crux of Clark’s character arc from Smashes the Klan, which bears a lot of resemblance to those rumored details.

I also think the competiting MBJ project may have changed things .
At the same time, I could also see them going for a POC, though that POC may not end up being Black.
It'll be interesting to see which way they go with an open casting.

That’s all well and good, but OUATIH ain’t the only thing I’ve seen him in, lol. He’ll never be leading man material to me, tbh. Unless that leading man is a dark and twisted character, of course.
Would you be fine with him as Lex then?

I also think the competiting MBJ project may have changed things .
At the same time, I could also see them going for a POC, though that POC may not end up being Black.
It'll be interesting to see which way they go with an open casting.

Yeah, I think Abrams and Coates probably anticipated a backlash to the idea of a Black Superman, as there's no pleasing everyone no matter what you do these days. But it's hard not to think that they weren't taken aback by the development that one actor that had previously been in consideration for the job was so vocally against their idea of racebending Kal-El that he went to the studio and successfully pitched an alternative project with a pre-existing Black Superman character from the comics.

Yeah, I can definitely see them casting a POC actor still, regardless if he's Black or not. Heck, we've already had two biracial actors play Superman on television before, between Dean Cain and Tyler Hoechlin.

I feel very similarly about Elordi, tbh. He’s just…not the guy at all, imo.

Austin Stowell on the previous page has potential though. I haven’t seen enough of his work but he has been at least decent in what I have seen him in. Still have yet to see a white Supes candidate that comes even close to being as perfect for the role as David Corenswet is to me, though.

While I don't necessarily agree with you on this particular point, I do think it's worth remembering that the current rumors are that Abrams and Coates are going right back to the Golden Age roots for Superman as a "Champion of the Oppressed."

And Clark was a fair bit rougher and more aggressive with his methods back in that era, even if his intent and actions were still quite heroic.

How can he be more aggressive if he's going to be an innocent himbo :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"