Guardians of the Galaxy James gunn fired!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the detractors of Gunn are pretty visceral about this whole thing.

They're already getting blasted on Instagram and Tumblr now, big surprise.

I've been thinking for a while now that Gunn is getting rehired. Feige's continued silence
on a major personnel decision had me thinking that there was work taking place behind the scenes, and the cast uniting against this awful decision is further evidence that this ain't over.

Sure Disney can (probably) force everyone back into make-up for the next installment. But can the Mouse get someone who can quickly step in and keep the release date, maintain the tone Gunn has established, and prevent disgruntled cast members from "phoning it in" and doing the bare minimum to publicize Volume 3? UNLIKELY!

It's a shame it's taking Disney this long to do the right thing.

I saw pratt’s recent tweet, so the angle the cast is taking is they dont support the jokes but they support him. I get where there coming from but disney is in a loose loose situation at this point. Does anyone really expect gunn to have a positive attitude on set and going forward with other mavel film if he was hired back right now? The damage is done and the best thing to do on disneys part is just move on. Just like moving on from other directors theyll keep chugging on.

Yeah the detractors of Gunn are pretty visceral about this whole thing.

And I am absolutely 100% certain that these detractors hold everyone in public life, including persons holding our nation's highest political office, to the same lofty moral standards.

I saw pratt’s recent tweet, so the angle the cast is taking is they dont support the jokes but they support him. I get where there coming from but disney is in a loose loose situation at this point. Does anyone really expect gunn to have a positive attitude on set and going forward with other mavel film if he was hired back right now? The damage is done and the best thing to do on disneys part is just move on. Just like moving on from other directors theyll keep chugging on.

I think given the support he got from the cast of the movie, he most definitely would work well on set with them again. This is a bonding moment, and no doubt they would be motivated to show why he should have been there all along.

And I am absolutely 100% certain that these detractors hold everyone in public life, including persons holding our nation's highest political office, to the same lofty moral standards.

Difference there is one can be fired by the people in 2 years and the other is an employee of a multibillion dollar corporation that sells toys and movies to kids and families.

I can't see this letter doing much, really. At the very least, given how big Disney is right now, I can't see Gunn's firing or replacement being the biggest priority for them since Alan Horn already declared him gone. I mean, what, are Bob Iger and Kevin Feige supposed to try and go around him? The cast can only do so much, but I don't see Disney buckling to their actors.

Not to say that Disney has never buckled, but in this instance, given how swift it was, the letter might gain some traction for the #RehireJamesGunn crowd...but nothing beyond that, in my opinion.

It is still an official letter of support regardless of what it achieves. Would you not appreciate something like that from the people you worked with in a situation like this?

This cast is gonna keep it up until Disney makes an example out of them. After Avengers 4, the inevitable arrival of X-Men and Fantastic 4, the GOTG are pretty much expendable. Their storyline is pretty much done and they can stay offscreen in space indefinitely.

I think given the support he got from the cast of the movie, he most definitely would work well on set with them again. This is a bonding moment, and no doubt they would be motivated to show why he should have been there all along.

I have no doubt he and the cast would get along smoothly but what happens when him and the studio/ disney were to butt heads on gotg3 or future movies? Feige would be the buffer most likely but how does he feel about all of this?

Nice they did that for him, I didn't think Bradley Cooper would do it.

At least, this letter will make James Gunn happy in this sad period for him.

Who really wants to be the guy taking over for Gunn under these circumstances anyway? GotG3 wasn't really desirable even before this. Anyone they get was going to be measured up to Gunn and likely regardless of quality was going to hear things like "It was good, but it didn't feel like Guardians" etc.

I hope this letter does something. I would like Gunn reinstated as well.
Plenty would probably jump at the chance.

I generally agree with the sentiment of the letter. I would like to see Gunn brought back on to finish the franchise. At the same time, I'm not sure Disney would do it after they already let him go.

The other issue is, the things they are calling for, it's hard to put the genie back in the bottle. It's sort of like closing pandora's box at this point. Unfortunately weaponizing social media mobs, old tweets, that's where we are at this point and it's not going away anytime soon.

I have no doubt he and the cast would get along smoothly but what happens when him and the studio/ disney were to butt heads on gotg3 or future movies? Feige would be the buffer most likely but how does he feel about all of this?

We really can only speculate. Given though that Marvel has made no statements on this matter, my guess is this was not Feige's decision. I would imagine by now, there would have been some type of statement by Marvel Studios if he agreed with the decision.

It is still an official letter of support regardless of what it achieves. Would you not appreciate something like that from the people you worked with in a situation like this?

Sure, I suppose, but the letter is merely a gesture. At the end, sure, it is indeed support. I wouldn't expect the cast to just up and turn on Gunn unless they had beef between one another. I think what it just achieves is just reaffirming their support, since this isn't an ultimatum and Disney isn't being forced to choose.

Hypothetically, if Chris Pratt threatened to walk if James Gunn was not reinstated...do you think Disney would try and work something out?

I don't think Disney would want to recast Star-Lord at this point before the third movie.

The last Guardians movie did better than the original, starring Pratt, and made $863 million worldwide. Would they really risk calling a bluff like that?

If they don't bring Gunn back they should pull the plug on GotG3 altogether. I can't imagine what director, after all this vocal support from the cast, would want to step into Gunn's shoes. It would be toxic for all involved.

Hypothetically, if Chris Pratt threatened to walk if James Gunn was not reinstated...do you think Disney would try and work something out?

I don't think Disney would want to recast Star-Lord at this point before the third movie.

Nah. Just say whatever they do in A4 didn't work in 100% and sadly him and others who signed this thing are forever gone :p :o

Disney so far only pissed off those who wanted Gunn to keep his job. They cave in, they piss everyone off

This cast is gonna keep it up until Disney makes an example out of them. After Avengers 4, the inevitable arrival of X-Men and Fantastic 4, the GOTG are pretty much expendable. Their storyline is pretty much done and they can stay offscreen in space indefinitely.

What example would Disney be setting? Keep your mouth shut and you won't get hurt?

Disney has $350M reasons - the total profits (per Deadline) for the last two Guardians flicks - to make this right. Suggesting that the Mouse can plug in the FF or X-Men into that slot and get those kind of results is silly. Business will win out in the end and the best business decision is bringing back Gunn.

Putting one of your biggest franchises on the shelf is not a good business decision. Gunn or no Gunn, GotG3 will proceed. I just hope that it does so WITH Gunn.

Disney so far only pissed off those who wanted Gunn to keep his job. They cave in, they piss everyone off

If Disney finally does the right thing (i.e. "cave in") the only people upset will be the cybernazis, their enablers, and the poor children who stumbled onto an obscure indie director's twitter account years ago and are (apparently) scarred for life. Bringing him back is much easier than doubling down on stupidity.

If Disney finally does the right thing (i.e. "cave) the only people upset will be the cybernazis, their enablers, and the poor children who stumbled onto an obscure indie director's twitter account years ago and are (apparently) scarred for life. Bringing him back is much easier than doubling down on stupidity.

I didn't know Dave Bautista posts here :D

Funny how they decry “mob mentality” which is something James Gunn himself has gladly propagated several times

Now that everyone knows that the cast would rather have Gunn, the hype for potential Gunnless Vol 3 will be reduced a lot. Audiences will feel that people didn't have their heart in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"