• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time - Original Movie

Noted.

Glad you liked the flick. I was pleasantly surprised by it and didn't regret the trek out to my nearest TARGET at all. In fact, out of all of the DC DTV's I own I might even put this in my top 5 or so.

It's certainly superior to Marvel's more recent animated offerings. And a few past ones, for that matter.

I must admit though I'm not entirely sure what the folks at WB & DC hoped to accomplish with this "stealth release" other than proving that they can churn out animated DVD features quicker than Marvel can. I've heard rumors that this may have been conceived as a pilot for a kid friendly TV version of the New 52 (for what is the New 52 but simply a more violent version of Super-Friends and the Silver Age in general?), but then something fell through and the stealth release route was taken to recoup some of the cost. Of course those are just rumors.

Dislikes
- The Flash got his butt kicked constantly
- I understand I'm not the audience for this but some of the dialogue was just stupid
- Robin was quite annoying at times
- Love the legion but never was a fan of the Karate Kid so wish he'd been replaced by another, also didn't help that I found him annoying
- Some plot points didn't really make sense once Superman had been erased from existence (e.g. Bizarro shouldn't have existed) but I can forgive that, after-all it is a kids movie

4 out of 5

Not to mention the fact that with Superman gone, Lex would never end up frozen in the first place, thus never coming to the future.
But as you said, it's more aimed at kids.
I thought it was fun that it re-united Sokka and Zuko.

It's certainly superior to Marvel's more recent animated offerings. And a few past ones, for that matter.

I must admit though I'm not entirely sure what the folks at WB & DC hoped to accomplish with this "stealth release" other than proving that they can churn out animated DVD features quicker than Marvel can. I've heard rumors that this may have been conceived as a pilot for a kid friendly TV version of the New 52 (for what is the New 52 but simply a more violent version of Super-Friends and the Silver Age in general?), but then something fell through and the stealth release route was taken to recoup some of the cost. Of course those are just rumors.

Given the producers behind it and the status as a "stealth release", I also assumed that it was a scrapped pilot for a new JLU series.

Kid friendly yes, definitely a tribute to Super Friends, but worth watching. It seems to be a launching point for future projects. It is worth seeing, much better than JL:War (CRAP!) IMO. :cwink:

I prefeered TRAPPED IN TIME to JL WAR as well this is how super-hero aniation shoud be made any word on the sequel?

i definitely need to check this out, i've been surprised at how good the reception to this has been

And yeah I'll agree that JL War wasn't perfect, i still really enjoyed it though

From what I know, DC Entertainment and TARGET have reached a deal for exclusive merchandise. That means TARGET is selling DC related toys, clothing, etc. that is, well, EXCLUSIVE to them. While producing an animated DTV is far too costly to sell at one retail chain only, I imagine that "exclusive" deal meant giving TARGET a first crack at it for a few months.

It is possible it is some "stealth pilot" or so on. DC animation right now is a mess at Cartoon Network. You know things are bad when the umpteenth Batman cartoon can't even last a full season there. Sure, "TEEN TITANS GO!" is still running and some more shorts are coming, but DCE likely wants more of an animated TV presence than that - especially now that Disney XD may as well be called "Marvel Animation Network".

From what I know, DC Entertainment and TARGET have reached a deal for exclusive merchandise. That means TARGET is selling DC related toys, clothing, etc. that is, well, EXCLUSIVE to them. While producing an animated DTV is far too costly to sell at one retail chain only, I imagine that "exclusive" deal meant giving TARGET a first crack at it for a few months.
Yeah, I heard about the Target deal. It's still an odd move. Then again, the Wal-Mart I worked at never received Avengers Confidential: Black Widow/Punisher, even though we always got the other DTVs from both sides of the fence so who knows what's going on in the minds of the folks upstairs now...

It is possible it is some "stealth pilot" or so on. DC animation right now is a mess at Cartoon Network. You know things are bad when the umpteenth Batman cartoon can't even last a full season there. Sure, "TEEN TITANS GO!" is still running and some more shorts are coming, but DCE likely wants more of an animated TV presence than that - especially now that Disney XD may as well be called "Marvel Animation Network".
Yeah, it takes a special type of incompetence to completely fail at maximizing a Batman cartoon. Disney XD's current crop of Marvel based shows isn't much better though.

Incidentally, am I the only one who thought Aquaman had a bit of a surfer dude look about him here?

Saw this yesterday and boy did I love it. It's pretty much a updated version of Super Friends or The Super Powers Team show.
I so much prefer this than that crap known as Justice League War.

Last edited:
Saw this yesterday and boy did I love it. It's pretty much a updated version of Super Friends or The Super Powers Team show.
I so much prefer this than that crap known as Justice League War.

It helps that the protagonists here aren't obnoxious jerks, which sadly was the case with "War".

I'm really late on this review. I saw it months ago, but I'm only getting around to writing this up now:

---------------

After an onslaught of ''mature'' (and I use the term loosely) DC Animated features, JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time was a refreshing change of pace. Not since Batman: The Brave and the Bold has there been such excellent all-ages entertainment from WB/DC. This movie is of course inspired by the Super Friends cartoons of the 70's and 80's, but it is also interested in telling a fun and engaging story that all can enjoy. Like many people, this movie took me by surprise, due to WB choosing to give this a bizarre 'stealth release', but it is a product that all DC Animation fans should have on their shelves.

The story is, naturally, a simple one. Lex Luthor has been frozen for a thousand years and is set free by the reckless behaviour of two teen heroes, Karate Kid and Dawnstar. Luthor takes control of the downright scary Time Trapper and heads back to his own time. His plan? To rewrite history and make sure that Superman (and therefore the Justice League) never comes into existence. So it's up to our two young protagonists and the Justice League to somehow save the day. Personally, I'm not too keen on the notion that this world of heroes revolves precariously around the Man Of Steel, but it works well enough in the movie. I wonder if Volpe had a longer runtime and a larger budget, would we have seen trips into Batman and Wonder Woman's past as well?

Due to this being released at roughly the same time as Justice League: War, I simply can't help but compare them. In terms of characterization, I'd gladly watch this movie any day of the week. Superman was ''Superman'', Wonder Woman was ''Wonder Woman'' and Batman was ''Batman''. There was no attempt to modernize them or dilute their essence in order to make them relatable or interesting to children. These characters often work best as the mythical creatures they are. Sometimes it's fun to just let them be SUPERHEROES. On the other hand, the teen heroes were given the more intricate personalities and in this case, it worked quite well. With the wrong writers, teen heroes can be more than a little annoying (I still shudder when I think of Jubilee from X-Men) but Michael Ryan handled them with ease. It's two characters I certianly wouldn't mind seeing more of.

All of this was wrapped up in a pretty darn good production package. The character designs were unique and suitably cartoony, without going overboard. I particularly enjoyed the designs for Batman and Wonder Woman, although it was a tad strange to see Bats with the pants again. Thanks to DR Movie, the animation was top notch for what I imagine was quite a limited budget. I've always liked this particular studio since their days on The Batman and Justice League Unlimited.

The voice cast were strong across the board. For me, the stand outs were Laura Bailey as Dawnstar and, of course, Diedrich Bader as Batman. He has certainly become one of my favourite Bat-voices and is absolutely perfect for a project like this. This is a cast I'd be more than happy to hear again, especially Grey DeLisle as Wonder Woman, who didn't get much to do but sounds like she has bucket loads of potential in the role.

Once again, I find myself praising Frederick Wiedmann, who pulled off another highly imaginative and effective score. I imagine this was produced entirely without an orchestra, which makes him all the more impressive.

Overall, this was a fantastic piece of work. Both Michael Ryan and Giancarlo Volpe should be very proud of this little 53 minute gem. It's certainly not the best that DC has had to offer but it's a fun diversion for kids and adults alike. Between the sex and violence of the DC Animated features, the serialized seriousness of Beware the Batman and the stoner humour of Teen Titans Go!... it's great that parents have something both fun and entertaining enough to watch with their kids.

For what it set out to do... this movie deserves a 4/5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"