Joel Silver to produce He-Man movie

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32710

we’re seeing a revival of all the things that were important to ‘80s kids, and for a while now, we’ve been hearing rumors that HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE would be one of the properties getting the big-budget treatment. Remember when John Woo was supposedly doing it? Since then, I’ve seen Adam Rifkin’s name attached to it for a while, and IMDb hilariously had M. Night Shyamalan listed as the writer for a brief period.

However, I can tell you today exclusively who IS writing the film: Justin Marks.

If you don’t recognize the name, you will soon. Justin’s the guy who is writing SUPERMAX, the Green Arrow in prison movie that David Goyer is producing for Warner/DC. He’s also writing bigscreen versions of VOLTRON and STREET FIGHTER. So basically, Justin Marks is the most gainfully employed professional fanboy on the planet right now.

Joel Silver’s going to be producing HE-MAN as soon as Marks finds time to write it, and Warner Bros. is going to be releasing the film if it makes it through the development process. I can’t wait to see what kind of heated talkback debates this announcement creates, so get to it!

I loved He-Man as a kid,it'll be interesting to see what they do with it this time

i'm a huge masters of the universe fan but i wont get excited untill they start filming

doesn't mean a thing..he was supposed to be doing wonder women as well,

and a sequel to Exit wounds.

I don't take stock in any rumors about Joel Silver or John Woo doing any new projects, because they never come to light.

Bleh if Joel Silver did this it would basically just be a remake of the 80s movie & be set in Modern Times again. Which is why they are not getting anywhere with Wonder Woman. They have an great sounding script set during World War 2 but stupid ass Joel Silver does not want to do a period peace. Go to hell Joel Silver. You might just be the next Uwe Boll.

I guess we'll never see a good He-man movie. One based in Eternia
in which He-man is played by a good actor i nwhich battle cat and all the creatures are rendered by Weta or ILM one in which we have a scary intimadating skeletor. Oh man it never ends I hope that when they make thundercats they get someone that really cares and that wants to actually make a good movie instead of a hollywood blockbuster targeted for the kiddies.

I loved He-Man too when I was a kid. I had He-Man, Skeletor, a bunch of figures. I even had Kobra Khan, who you'd fill up with water to "spray" other characters. Oh, and remember that skunk guy who really smelled bad? LOL.

Setting it in modern times was such a chump thing to do. Make it a fantasy movie to the fullest, set in Eternia, and with all of the things from the cartoons. Let's see an origin story. He-Man doesn't have to be Conan huge, just big, muscular, but like Superman, where we know he has this sorta supernatural strength.

Even though I hate the LOTR movies, I'd like to see a He-Man made in that style. And I think we can understand some updates; give He-Man some pants, maybe some armor, make Skeletor more frightening, etc.

well, i'm a He-Man fan so this is good news to me.

as for Joel Silver, well i remember the great work he did in choosing the director/ writer for Wonder Woman and how he's currently handling that project now.

I watched it all the time too as a kid.
I'd like to see if this progresses.

I loved He-Man too when I was a kid. I had He-Man, Skeletor, a bunch of figures. I even had Kobra Khan, who you'd fill up with water to "spray" other characters. Oh, and remember that skunk guy who really smelled bad? LOL.

Stinkor:woot:

250pxstinkor800sx7.jpg

My aunt brought me that figure from her holidays when i was a kid,i read the comic below that came with it where he battled Moss Man over and over lol

stinkorattacknu1.gif

Setting it in modern times was such a chump thing to do. Make it a fantasy movie to the fullest, set in Eternia, and with all of the things from the cartoons. Let's see an origin story. He-Man doesn't have to be Conan huge, just big, muscular, but like Superman, where we know he has this sorta supernatural strength.

Even though I hate the LOTR movies, I'd like to see a He-Man made in that style. And I think we can understand some updates; give He-Man some pants, maybe some armor, make Skeletor more frightening, etc.

For once we are in total agreement on how it should be done

I want to be excited about this, but I just can't. There's too much of a chance that the whole thing will screw itself up. I've little faith left in Hollywood at this point.

But you have to admit, Frank Langella was a great Skeletor. The only thing as hard as casting He-Man is casting Skeletor. From a physique standpoint, my head says Arnold Vosloo (wait - has he kept in shape since the Mummy films ended?), from a prosthetic makeup standpoint, my head immediately says Ron Perlman.

I just hope they cast a sturdy looking actress to play Teela, someone with some actual girth and muscle definition, not some little rail thin twig.

Hey, just for the Hell of it, I asked Rob Quill, a guy I met at Balticon last year, to draw me up a He-Man poster, so far this is the result for you to be the judges of (it will be colorized at some point, but I'm not sure when):

taylor_he-man.jpg

This would be amazing as long as they give it to a good director and a good sized budget. I wonder who they will cast as He-Man.

This would be amazing as long as they give it to a good director and a good sized budget. I wonder who they will cast as He-Man.
I say hire a tall body builder guy and give him the best acting coach that money can buy.

I say hire a tall body builder guy and give him the best acting coach that money can buy.

That has a good chance to backfire...lol. I'd rather have someone with a bit of talent to start with, but that is just me.

Maria Shriver needs to play Skeletor.

No No No No absolutely no bodybuilder or wrestler as he-man. Get a good actor (better if unknown) and make him train a la butler on 300.
This has the potential(if silver doesn't hack it up) to become a real epic masterpiece, a serious film with a good story and characterization, spectacular FX and awesome action. Yes LOTR(and Iam a huge LOTR fan) is not the only one with the power to be taken serious.

this could be good... i loved the old dalph version for what it was, but i agree that this one needs to be set in Eternia, but updates for sure need to be made. giant green tiger that you ride around? lame. little floating fairy wizard? lame. the costumes? mega-lame.

He man could be good or bad but they need to make it a good story. Give a Conan the barbarian feel to it and it could be great.

this could be good... i loved the old dalph version for what it was, but i agree that this one needs to be set in Eternia, but updates for sure need to be made. giant green tiger that you ride around? lame. little floating fairy wizard? lame. the costumes? mega-lame.
Wouldn't fans just get mad again at the same lack of the above, most of which was missing from the old Dolph Lundgren version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"